Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Grouchio posted:

Chernobyl why are you doing a thing again? :shepface:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEO5VBo6R4w

Edit: Wait, is this going to mix with the Nord Stream 2 gasline? :kingsley:

The neutron count increase is normal and expected as decrease in water occurs. They did studies prior to installing the new containment building showing it would happen.

https://twitter.com/ThatRadGuy5/status/1398425516068196352?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Grouchio posted:

Russia's express interests involving the Ukraine not joining NATO...have been dashed.

Russia...wouldn't provoke NATO now would it? *gulp*

I mean, they already pushed the limits of the Ukraine Agreement by annexing Crimea and invading Ukraine, so...they kinda already showed how they feel

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Its actually from 2018, but that doesn't make it any less fantastic.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Antigravitas posted:

Looks like shrapnel

It looks like a pile of dog poop painted silver.

Slashrat posted:

My first thought upon seeing it went to Chernobyl's elephant's foot, and I started wondering what nuclear catastrophe Russia was commemorating with this.

Maybe that Nuclear Cruise Missile that killed a bunch of scientists a few years back?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Saw this on Twitter, apparently Ukraine's Military Intelligence is predicting January offensive?

https://twitter.com/MassDara/status/1462254401624711172?s=20

I know there's Russian buildup going on, I don't know how true the rumors an actual offensive are.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Vasukhani posted:

Yes you get it now. Ukraine cannot and never will be part of NATO. The West needs to be explicit about this, because Zelensky is sure acting like he has a mutual defense treaty.

Biden has nothing to lose by reaching an agreement on Ukraine with Putin on the summit. He wants desperately to focus on more important areas, yet keeps pretending there is a future with Ukraine as an American partner.

What "Agreement" do you think Putin would actually be willing to do here? Given that he's been pretty clear about using Russian energy exports to enforce their ability to jump further into Ukraine?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

OddObserver posted:

Nothing smells like "realism" lie expecting Putin to follow agreements.

Seriously, I don't think there is an agreement that is going to satisfy or that Putin will actually stick to.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
This is also part of the problem with Germany buying Russian gas: Any sort of unilateral sanctions are blunted right now because Russia has most of the EU on the hook. In order to actually do meaningful sanctions, Germany would need to be able to cut Nordstream and tell the Russians that they won't buy product until they back off.

Which isn't gonna happen

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Budzilla posted:

Aren't the German Greens very anti-nuclear? It will be difficult to make up an energy deficit while trying to cut the gas as a geopolitical weapon.

Yes, and there's no way they cut the gas. That's kinda the whole goal in making people dependent on the Nordstream pipes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I don't think Germany is going to have a choice in the long run, most of Europe is positive on both Renewables and Nuclear, Germany is the only one pretending they can skate by on Russian gas imports and Renewables.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

steinrokkan posted:

Historical price hikes and 30% support, thanks for proving that nuclear is more dead than disco

Everywhere else supports nuclear, not our fault that Germany is literally cutting off it's nose to spite it's face

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

aphid_licker posted:

If nuke power turns out to be economically competitive there'll be a market for selling it to Germany from France or Poland or whatever. It seems like a non-issue

Which is what already happens. But given the argument from Germany is: "Nuclear is dangerous and dirty" their willingness to buy power from countries generated with Nuclear is just hypocritical on their part. Its the ultimate NIMBYism, ironic given that NIMBYism is party of why their Renewables plan has stalled and they are falling back on Gas and Coal/Biomass.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Antigravitas posted:

The primary use of gas in Germany is heating, by the way. Something that would be fairly easy to remedy considering the technology to build buildings that barely need any additional heating is available.

Right now it is, but its also ~18% of Germany's energy generation and with Germany openly pushing Natural Gas as "Green" I suspect it'll be far more in the future, regardless of heating changes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Antigravitas posted:

Doubtful. Gas will have a future as emergency standby power since it's much quicker to spool up, but right now it is holding pretty steady while coal is cratering due to market forces despite excessive sweetheart deals the conservatives made for that industry.

The real problem is heating though. Heating consumes a good third of all energy in the country, and half of that is gas.

Gonna disagree, especially given that they are already in an energy shortfall and closing their last nuclear plants will mean quick energy, which will likely be Natural Gas. Even Coal ramped up a bit this year. There's pretty much no path other than Natural Gas energy generation for Germany at this point.

Which in the context of Eastern Europe, means a weakened EU resolve to any Russian actions.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 2, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tevery Best posted:

France, maybe. Poland is riding the coal train to wherever it takes us (hell by compass).

Poland recognizes the issue at least and has engaged a couple Nuclear vendors to start doing some planning. Right now they are focusing on 2033 as a start date for a new reactor.

quote:

In August 2021, Polish company Synthos Green Energy began screening sites for small modular reactors (SMRs). Synthos Green Energy is a subsidiary of Synthos, a chemical manufacturing company in Poland. It has signed agreements related to SMR development with GE Hitachi Nuclear Energy, Tractebel, and Ultra Safe Nuclear Corporation.Proposed nuclear power plants
Site Type Power (MWe) Start construction Commercial operation
Zarnowiec, TBD TBD c 3000 2027? 2033?
East Poland, TBD
Belchatow? TBD c 3000 2039?
Total c 6000 MWe
https://world-nuclear.org/information-library/country-profiles/countries-o-s/poland.aspx

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
A not insignificant part of that "Renewable Energy" is Biomass aka Wood Pellets.
And no, they bumped up to 26% of their energy in 2021 being coal.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
In less power centric news: Putin has basically threatened to shoot down the GPS constellation if US/EU intervenes in Ukraine if they take action.

https://twitter.com/larrypress/status/1466301753658273794?s=20

Which is loving moronic because the US would immediately shoot down GLONASS in retaliation. Basically MAD but for Space systems and Kessler syndrome.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tuna-Fish posted:

Kessler syndrome is not a threat in/for the orbits that the positioning systems use. They are simply too high, with too long periods. You could pulverize every satellite in them into 1g chunks, and it would not materially increase the risks of collision, unless you went and deliberately chose an orbit that was impacted. Space is big. Kessler syndrome is a risk where for some reason a lot of satellites want to fit into a specific, narrow orbital regime.

Space is big but if all 31 GPS sats got hit, it very much would create a massive cloud of debris even at that orbital level. Maybe not a massive problem for leaving the planet, but very much a problem for everything in that orbit including other large constellations that are at that orbit.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

How are u posted:

Hopefully he croaks on his own, and soon. Or maybe somebody will poison him like he's poisoned so many others.

Dude's very active, I doubt he's going anywhere anytime soon. The only way he dies soon is either aggressive cancer or a rival bumping him off.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah Putin's not crazy, he's playing to his base with stuff like this.

mobby_6kl posted:

Putin's not crazy, he's just an rear end in a top hat

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Knock it off. Either address their post or ignore it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

i say swears online posted:

i cannot emphasize enough how dumb giving nukes to ukraine anyone would be lmao

We should've let them keep a couple, regardless, if we're not even going to bother to honor even the gentlemen's agreement we made with them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

Can't they just ask Putin for theirs back since he broke the deal

Yeah, and you get free delivery! Either via the claimed 100 megaton Unmanned Torpedo or the Nuclear Cruise Missile they are perfecting!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Vasukhani posted:

The gentlemen's agreement not to invade? Budapest said nothing about defending Ukraine.

Ah, good to see you finally got an account Mister Putin.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sekenr posted:

First time I hear about it. He really honest to god laments that we gave up the nukes. If he could create one, he would have.

Its pretty trivial if you have the material.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Vasukhani posted:

nato must respect the sovereignty and will of the people in the countries that do not want to take action

:ironicat: and Russia doesn't have to respect Ukraine's sovereignty because......

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Brown Moses posted:

Tomorrow might be a big day for Russia-German relations, and likely for Russian relations elsewhere. The Berlin Tiergarten Murder trial is coming to a close, with the verdict expected tomorrow. This is the trial of Vadim Sokolov for the murder of Zelimkhan Khangoshvili, a 40-year-old Georgian citizen and former Chechen rebel commander, was shot dead in Berlin’s Kleiner Tiergarten. The killer was captured shortly after the murder, where he rode up to to the victim on a bicycle, shot him in the head, then threw the bike and gun in a river.

When he was arrested he was travelling under the name of Vadim Sokolov, but the Russia team at Bellingcat discovered his real identity was Vadim Krasikov, and was connected to the FSB. In addition, there's connections between him and other similar murders of dissidents elsewhere in Europe, indicating this was part of a Russian state backed assassination program of dissidents. There's more details of that, and more, here.

With a new German government this is likely to be their first major test when it comes to relations with Russia, and whatever they do will likely set the scene for European and Russian relations over the coming year, even if their response is to do nothing.

Yeah keeping a close eye on this one since either Germany is going to balk to keep good relations or they will close the deal and have to accept the possible fallout, especially to their energy strategy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Grouchio posted:

Russia says it may be forced to deploy mid-range nuclear missiles in Europe

(Why would you feel the need to announce this, Russia? Do you intend to use them?)

No, they won't use them because it'd violate MAD. Putin's not dumb.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Both the Holocaust and Holodomor were genocides. We don't have to call the Holodomor a Holocaust to call it a Genocide. This seems really nitpicky, move on.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Red and Black posted:

J Arch Getty, R W Davies, Stephen Wheatcroft, and even Robert Conquest (and more), all of whom are historians of the Soviet Union, uniformly disagree with you. What gives you the right to disregard the opinions of actual scholars and declare what is and isn't truth in this thread? This is a very straightforward abuse of your mod privileges.

So you are stating, squarely, that you are denying that the Holodomor is a possible genocide, and your entire point here is to argue that it was not genocide, is that correct?

Given that Ukraine itself recognizes the Holodomor as a genocide, you should probably take it up with them since they were the ones directly affected by it.

Also: There are scholars that disagree with your scholars: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor_genocide_question
Are your scholars the only valid sources then?

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 10, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Red and Black posted:

I'm saying that calling the Ukrainian famine a genocide is something that is rejected by a huge contingent of actual scholars on the subject. I have quoted them in my posts in this thread. Again, since you dodged the question: what gives you the right to determine what is and isn't truth and to demand people adhere to a line that isn't accepted even in liberal academia?

Here, let me help you here: Maybe you need to take a break from this thread. I also provided sources, and you've already outright dismissed them. Frankly, I don't think you are arguing in good faith.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Red and Black posted:

What sources? You linked to a wikipedia article? Link directly to the scholarship you think is relevant and I'll read it but this is just a joke.

Maybe you'd actually like to read the article before dismissing offhand?

If you bothered to read the citations, you'd find that your scholars and other scholars disagree. Its almost like its not a settled debate like you are pretending it is. Its settled in YOUR MIND. That's it.

Nobody is calling your scholarly sources incorrect. They can disagree with scholars, and there are scholars that disagree with them. The reality is, in the mind of Ukrainians at least, it was a genocide. Scholars can debate back and forth all they want. But 8 million Ukrainians died. Its not a simple act of saying it was nothing. And acting like its a settled debate when its plainly not is unfair. You chose a debate side, fine, but other people have as well, and there's scholars on their side too.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 10, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
To that end, I don't think its fair to throw around the label genocide denier against Red and Black. The reality is the Holodomor and its effects are hotly debated, to this day.

To that end:
If we cannot debate the Holodomor without accusing posters of being genocide deniers, then lets drop the topic.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah I discussed with with someone more informed on Soviet/Russian history. Its just a hot topic, unfortunately. There's a lot of debate about the Holodomor and whether the effects of the famine were 'planned' or just side effects. More than willing to admit I let my bias based on only a birds eye view inform me here for that I apologize.

I tend to view it as a genocide, but given the new information, its not a settled topic.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 10, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

madeintaipei posted:

Craven bullshit.

Given that you were not posting on this topic and just showed up to say this, maybe you'd actually like to participate in this discussion?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Terminal autist posted:

I didn't think having family members in the galician division was a pre requisite for being able to post in this thread.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

If anyone else feels like making these inferences and accusing posters of being Nazis without evidence, you are welcome to join Terminal Autist. Don't do it

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Minenfeld! posted:

Just seeking some clarity here: all the key posters in this discussion seem to agree that there was a famine resulting in mass death that the Soviet government is responsible for. Is the key dispute about whether or not it qualifies as a genocide based on if there was intentionality? i.e., it does not qualify as a genocide if the Soviet government did not set out to kill Ukrainians?

That appears to be the major scholarly debating point both here and in academia: Was it intentional? Or was it just a side effect of Stalin's industrialization coming at the same time as multiple famines combined with ethnic cleansing, etc.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Somaen posted:

There are academic debates on the exact number of holocaust victims, but no one here is an academic and Question_Asker_1488 posting exclusively about the question if 6 million Jews really died is not actually interested in the scholarly analysis of the statistics from polish villages. The reasonable thing to do is to mock and insult him and promote instead a community for interesting people with unique life experiences and insights and not shutin political extremist roleplayers

But that's not what he's doing? And the case for the Holocaust is a little more clear cut, what with the Nazis kinda having an entire book about "Exterminating the Jews" stuff.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Somaen posted:

But the _1488 people aren't denying that there were abuses committed against the Jews, just trying to ask the question if the 6 million figure is really accurate. You know, for purely academic accuracy reasons

Maybe there could be a mod approved thread for basement self-taught academics to debate the numbers, which killings are genocides, which don't meet the criteria and which are made up by the state department

I think you are missing the point: I believe, personally, that the Holodomor is genocide. There's a lot of scholars that do. But whether Stalin went into the industrialization plan with the intent to cause mass death is what the definition is quibbling over. There's zero doubt about that with the Holocaust, its pretty much written down, they had literal meetings about doing exactly that.

Nobody is arguing what Stalin did, especially failing to relieve the famine, was not criminal, but how much they intended to kill 8 million Ukrainians or that was the intended goal is the underlying meaning they are debating.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

FishBulbia posted:

Calling ddos attacks "cyber attacks" is pretty alarmist. Its cyber vandalism. Russia has directly attacked the Ukrainian energy grid before.

No, specifically they claim to have gotten into internal systems and grabbed PII, so that is an attack, not just a vandalism of the page. We don't know how far they got in yet.