Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

khwarezm posted:

Is this an accurate summary of the Ukrainian conflict?

https://covertactionmagazine.com/20...chen-subhumans/

Read the URL again and ask yourself this same question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

khwarezm posted:

Isn't it the case that there's lots of straight up Nazis fighting for the Ukrainian side?

According to the Russians, yes.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Balkans.avi

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Vasukhani posted:

Yes, instead other people (unknown number ranging to 8 billion) should be sacrificed for the sake of a country getting to keep its special sky cloth

What if Neville Chamberlain spoke Reddit.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

steinrokkan posted:

Hopefully you are wrong about parallels with Afghanistan, since the Soviets didn't lose Afghanistan because the guerillas fought so well, or because of a supposed Stinger effect (which is mostly a myth), but because the cost of depopulating most of the country was too much.

I mean, one loving hopes the cost of even attempting to depopulate Ukraine is too much for Putin to make a go at it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:shibewow: Go back to GBS.

GBS don't want him either.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Randarkman posted:

e: And Molotov was just Michael Palin speaking like Michael Palin.

And he was wonderful.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

TipTow posted:

The Baltics were annexed six decades prior to joining NATO. Why was it an issue in 2004?

What happened to them during the 50 years after they were annexed was the issue.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Koos Group posted:

The events today reminded me of an idea I had, so I'd like to propose that to the thread now. EE posters have previously complained to me that international posters without as much knowledge of the region sometimes come into the thread and start discussions that are not very interesting to those who live there.

So, what I was thinking of doing, is splitting it into two threads. One thread that's specifically for Eastern Europeans, is about issues that have less international significance or would only likely be familiar to those from the region, and is self-policed like the CanPol thread as more of a hangout, possibly with its own ik chosen by regulars. The other thread would be Eastern European History and News, which would be intended more for an international audience; actual Eastern Europeans would be encouraged to post here as well to give their own expert perspective, but they would no longer be obligated to read a bunch of posts by Americans if they didn't want to.

Thoughts?

On a purely selfish not, I appreciate this thread because it's a bunch of Eastern European posters talking amongst themselves in English instead of Czech, Polish, Ukrainian, or whatever the non-English lingua franca for these sorts of discussions normally is. As a dumb monolingual American, I appreciate this.

The problems with this thread are generally the result of a few problem posters who spray conspiracy nonsense in a way that's just coherent enough to pass muster under the "you have to be interesting and post evidence of your position" rules, which in general I think are very good.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Koos Group posted:

Well, there is one problem poster who I'm very close to forumbanning, and threadbans/forumbans are always on the table for anyone who's a long-term net-negative to discussion.

That's good to know. I genuinely think bringing in someone who isn't a D&D regular to try and sort things out is an excellent idea, because one the politics forums' biggest problems is that they're full of people who have been arguing with each other for a decade or more in some cases and their every interaction is drenched in soap opera backstory that matters only to them. There's so many posters with grudges (including me, hell, especially me) that it's practically impossible to moderate consistently from within.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 22, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Reasons the poles are allowed to hate Russia:

Molotov-Ribbentrop, Katyn and other massacres, the 17th century partitions, over a century of Tsarist occupation, forty-five years of Soviet occupation...

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sinteres posted:

Putin knows nothing he can put in Cuba has any strategic value, but I bet even a token force would be used against Biden to say he's a weak foreign policy president, first withdrawing from Afghanistan and then seeing a return of hostile forces off the coast of Florida, which is why Biden can get trapped into responding and putting American hypocrisy on display. Does it actually do Russia any good though? Probably not in any concrete way other than undermining Biden domestically.

This would depend entirely on Cuba wanting to be involved in this poo poo. And apart from not hanging up on Putin when he called them, there's no sign they do. It's not like they stand to gain anything by pissing off the US.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sinteres posted:

No, because real progress has been made toward Ukrainian integration in the Western alliance during the crisis.

And why do you suppose that is?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Someone call The Hague.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

mawarannahr posted:

What does this have to do with the misinformation promulgated that an invasion was taking place today?

There's been an invasion going on since 2014.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Olivier is a kind of salad.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

mrfart posted:

Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a rapport with 50 something possible scenario’s and they just picked the one in the back that would get them some attention.

It's almost certainly this.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Charliegrs posted:

No but I noticed there wasn't any after Poland joined the Warsaw Pact.

That makes them lucky compared to Czechia and Hungary, then.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Tweezer Reprise posted:

Russian diplomats began to leave Ukraine, a source said

Yeah, that's possibly the least encouraging thing possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Regarde Aduck posted:

Not really?

The only ones obfuscated are the media and this thread because you all fell for obvious bullshit. No need to pretend there was a masterplan that got out of control so how could you not be beguiled. People tried to tell you there would be no war and you wouldn't listen.

What on Earth are you talking about?