Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

What a cruel joke giving those volunteers toy guns.

That guy in the foreground doesn't even get one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Anyone have a time frame for the invasion? I remember hearing on the news that it would use the Olympics as a distraction.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Edit: who cares.

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 13, 2022

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Gripweed posted:

This feels like a sign from god that maybe we shouldn't be giving Ukraine weapons

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Just gonna casually be named after a Nazi extermination squad.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Why are you probing people for pointing out Nazis?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I don't think you can really separate the very long and very brutal history of antisemitism in the Ukraine from it's current predicament. The centuries of pogroms and paramilitary groups that the Ukraine has been responsible for are not anomalous but rather a very clear pattern that continues to this day. The cossacks, for example, were notorious in their cruelty to the Jewish people.

Does that mean every Ukrainian is a Nazi? Of course not. Does that mean Russia should invade them? Lol no. But you just can't pretend that doesn't exist, and probing people for pointing out that this long running tradition of hatred still exists serves only to run cover for worst people on the planet.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Their post was:

Gonna point out two things: One, that they are saying this person on screen represents Ukraine and therefore is a reason not to defend Ukraine. Two, they are now claiming this was a joke. Jokes are supposed to be funny.

Nobody is defending Azov battalion.

Perhaps arming a government with a real life SS-founded division is a poor choice, especially when that division is arming and training Nazi grandmas.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Got it. Roll on in Russia, nothing to be saved here.

C'mon man, you can just disagree with me without shoving words in my mouth.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Does that mean every Ukrainian is a Nazi? Of course not. Does that mean Russia should invade them? Lol no. But you just can't pretend that doesn't exist, and probing people for pointing out that this long running tradition of hatred still exists serves only to run cover for worst people on the planet.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

And this history is unique to Ukraine, and not the entire Russian Empire....how?

Their collaboration with the Nazis including participating in the Holocaust.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

If you are under the impression there were no Belarussian or Russian collaborators, you are just willfully ignorant. If you are under the impression there were no pogroms and antisemitism in Russia or Belarus prior to or after WWII, you are doubly ignorant. If you believe there were no Ukraininans fighting against the Nazis as soldiers or partisans, you should just gently caress off. Imperial Russia (as its multiethnic whole, not just today's Russia) was possibly the most antisemitic country in Europe before the revolution, and the domestic attitudes didn't change overnight, if indeed they changed at all.
They did when Lenin (who was 1/8th Jewish) jailed the paramilitary groups like the Black 100s and forcibly ended the pogroms.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

OddObserver posted:

... You do know that USSR had a state policy of pretending the Holocaust didn't happen, and had a lot of institutional anti-Semitism?

Source plz.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Did that change the attitudes, or just prevent them from being acted upon?

Well, technically executing antisemites does cause a severe alteration in brain chemistry, so yes.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Why didn't he execute Stalin

Because he needed him to beat Hitler.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Stop posting in bad faith and Google it yourself for once.

I did and couldn't find anything about a Soviet project to exterminate Jews.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

*sigh* if only Lenin could have killed all the antisemites smdh.

OddObserver posted:

Do you even know what the Black Hundreds were?
The Russian KKK.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I just want to point out, I didn't bring up Russia. Someone else pulled a whataboutism comparing the history of antisemitism in the Ukraine to that of Russia.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Relying on "Thing is just like thing in Aaamerica :bravo:" is such a huge red flag when dealing with anybody online

That's fair, the black hundreds killed a lot more Jews than the kkk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

OddObserver posted:

That would be the majority of population.

And KKK isn't a bad comparison, and just like them they weren't limited to a single bigotry --- they were very much anti-Ukrainian peoplehood as well. And that attitude... Well, it's been endorsed as high up as by Putin himself.

Yah, just to be clear: I'm not claiming that antisemitism wasn't rife through the USSR, just pointing out that it was the only government at the time taking any steps to quash it.

And Putin can eat a hairy turd.