Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

The obviously stupid parts distracted me from the not-quite-so-obviously stupid parts.

I see the diameter/area confusion stupid part, what's the other one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Aumanor posted:

Please link it, I just have to see it.

I'm assuming he meant this one.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Every time I read about a new retarded PiS idea (so just about daily), I have a strong urge to go to the Sejm and punch every single one of their MPs in the dick repeatedly.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Paladinus posted:

I guess it's something inherited from the Soviet past, and people still think that good thing only exist West of border. At airport duty frees you can see plenty of Russia speaking tourists buying copious amounts of alcohol, even though the same stuff is available in the supermarket five minutes from their house, but maybe costs a dollar a bottle more. It's ridiculous.

I might be brain broken in the morning, but I feel like you missed the link that started the discussion: https://www.theguardian.com/inequality/2018/apr/11/eu-moves-ban-sale-lower-quality-branded-food-eastern-europe

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

So, which country's election standards must Russia adhere to for theirs to be recognized?

https://twitter.com/XSovietNews/status/1094628634009235456

Does this mean that each Ukrainian oblast has to blatantly fix the votes, or what, I'm confused.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I. M. Gei posted:

Are Tarnów or Katowice in Eastern Poland?

Mostly I just need to know if layaway is a thing in Poland or not. I need to pay for this thing I’m buying using some sort of installment plan, and the guy I’ve been talking to suggested I pay with a credit card, which I...... don’t have. Unless a BBVA debit card has a magical credit card-like payment feature that I don’t know about.

I’d like to set up some kind of layaway account for this, but if I can’t do that then probably my only other options would all involve me having to have a very uncomfortable conversation with my bank about loans and poo poo.

I don't recall ever seeing such an option when buying online, but I could've been blind.
From what I understand, the issue isn't the transfer of money per se, but that you don't have the full amount available?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

poo poo he found out about us, scram!

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I preregistered at the beginning of the year, so I got my prescription and signed up last week. The shot (AZ) was supposed to be delivered on Tuesday, but I got moved to today - it'd probably be still fine if I showed up two days ago, since the staff told people they had spares and any close ones/family could be given a shot.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

There can be more than one shithead in this situation.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Also the ratio of positive test results was pretty wild in the previous waves (like 30+%), so the testing methodology wasn't that useful (not sure how the results are now though).

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Probably covid finally becoming 'just like a flu' - endemic, with yearly vaccines of so-so effectiveness due to a billion variants.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Poland has a competent opposition

Uhhhhh, if this is supposed to be competent then we are doomed.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Seems like PiS killed their first person with their anti abortion law that was quick.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Poland truly is built out of poo poo and sticks - President of the National Bank decided to urgently release a commemorative coin/bill depicting the migrant crisis on Belarus border.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Vasukhani posted:

Cool, but lets operate in the realm of reality where Russia remains a sovereign state that desires to become more powerful

Nah, let's operate in the realm of reality where non-Russia countries remain sovereign states that desire to have, you know, sovereignty and agency.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Cugel the Clever posted:

Right, that's why the US is exerting a little effort to make sure Russia knows there will be meaningful costs to belligerence now and in the future, thus shoring up its interests. Stop asking the US to stop behaving like a state!

No, this is just warmongering. Unlike invading neighboring countries, that's promoting peace.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Grouchio posted:

(Why would you feel the need to announce this, Russia? Do you intend to use them?)

The world needs to learn about their peaceful ways.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

In Polish news, seems like the leader of opposition campaign staff has been hacked with Pegasus during last parliamentary elections. Also totally unrelated - at the same time the contents of his SMS and phone records were being reported on in state TV in a smear campaign.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The olivier I make for myself literally consists of boiled potatoes, fresh cucumber, and doctor's sausage, all cubed. No dressing, optional seasoning with some green onion and salt.

Going back to food cultural exchange - have you tried apples, boiled carrots/parsley roots, mushrooms, corn?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Only separately, please don’t tell there’s a land out there where people make olivier with apples.

Well, we don't put any meat in the salad (and I had to google it was the same overall idea of a salad: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olivier_salad#Central_Europe ), but yeah we stick in it the ingredients I posted, +potatoes, pickled cucumbers and eggs.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I'd also like to point out that this thread isn't that active on its own, on regular days you'd get 2-3 posts a day on average, it's the recent buildup that understandably increases the rate for exchanging information for people living here, which attracts people who want to debate the just giving Putin whatever (which, while tiring, at least it has some discussion behind it) and the epic trolls discussing the merits of genocide or whatever.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I've got a sort of weird question - where did the 'Ukraine' vs 'The Ukraine' come from? I know the meaning that's currently assigned for each of them (country vs some breakaway part of Russia or something like that), but how did this article become the defined difference between the two. From quick wikiing (and consulting 20-year old knowledge about Polish grammar lodged into my head) I don't think there's a equivalent in Polish for the 'the' article and the map on articles, suggests that neither Russian, nor Ukrainian have those either. So how was this article translated into English x years ago (and when did that start appearing?)?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Cool, thank you both. I think the stuff that tripped me up when I first heard about it were countries like The United States, The Netherlands or The United Kingdom and I wasn't exactly sure how those were accepted as the proper form and that there was an issue with Ukraine.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Sinteres posted:

I feel bad for the poster who got probed for EU4 chat now that a shitposting Lithuanian MP may as well be referencing it.

What a bizarre take - just because someone is posting a historical map, doesn't mean that he's referencing a Paradox game.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Sinteres posted:

Come on man, I can't even make a little joke about a parliamentarian shitposting about 15th Century political geography without getting fact checked?

This thread is for Clancy and salad chat only, I'm sorry :colbert:

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

nurmie posted:

excuse me, but have you considered

drat, I miss them so much after I moved from my hometown (North-Eastern Poland), just can't find any good (or basically any at all) kartacze here (I think they're basically the same as zeppelins). I only ate the meat version though, but wiki mentions cottage cheese as an option which sounds great too.

Edit: the wiki mentions Lithuania obviously as the country that cooks them - are they visible in other Baltic countries though?

mmkay fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 27, 2022

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

nurmie posted:

i've never encountered them outside the lithuanian / belorussian-to-an-extent context, and this is like the first time i'm hearing they're present in Polish cuisine too lol. it totally makes sense for cepelinai to be a thing in and around podlasie/suvalkija though (at least, i assume that's what "north-eastern poland" refers to :v:)

Yea, I'm from Podlasie. They're not really too much of a thing outside of that area, I think (I saw an offering in a bar in Gdańsk like once when I was studying there but they were already sold out :( ).

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Mokotow posted:

There’s a senate inquest going, since the opposition has a slim majority there. Sadly, the senate’s inquiry doesn’t have prosecutorial rights, and can’t obligate anybody to anything. PiS is ignoring it, but they’ve also blocked an independent security expert from a military academy from testifying by threatening him with who knows what.

The parliament inquiry is actively pursued by Tusk and it seems there’s currently an even split for/against. Paweł Kukiz, a burnt out alcoholic rock star and once political darling, now PiS’s whore, turned the table on them and promised his vote in exchange for the chairman’s seat and scope extension so that POs use of invigilation tools is also within it. PO is fine with that. We’re now waiting for defections to either kill the inquiry or kick poo poo off.

Also the narrative by PiS was absolutely hilarious:

What is Pegasus, you mean the game system (NES clone), right? :smuggo:
There was no Pegasus anywhere, that's fake news
There was Pegasus, but it was used against criminals and only a few people, they were bad (this was actually reported by Kaczynski himself)
We didn't use Pegasus a lot, like no more than a few hundred people (reported by the most broke brained and dumbest PiS guy of them all, Suski).

There are a couple of confirmed cases reported every week or so, including spying on prosecutors not aligned with the party line. The Supreme Audit Office also reported quite a few of illegalities and irregularities, but lol at it being prosecuted right now.

EDIT:

Mokotow posted:

Should this be pork, veal, chicken or turkey?
Would you throw a fried egg on it?
How about yellow cheese? Mushrooms?
What side would go best with it?

I think the standard way at my place was:
Pork - floured, egged, breaded; no extras on the meat usually - sometimes a slice of cheese on top at the end of frying (kids love melted cheese everywhere right) and I think there was a pineapple slice under the cheese like once or twice in my life
Boiled potatoes; sometimes puree/mashed
Either tomatoes with chives or cucumbers; with either some cream, or greek yoghurt

mmkay fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 28, 2022

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Captain Melo posted:

Is there a good primer for someone who is completely ignorant of EE and just wants to understand what is happening? All I've seen lately is headlines but I'm woefully underinformed and I probably shouldn't be.

8 years ago the Ukrainian Russian-aligned president rejected association with the EU, this caused a wave of protests that eventually ousted him. Russia seized control of the Crimea with the help of little green men stationed in their naval military base leased from Ukraine in Sevastopol. They also incited rebels in the Eastern part of Ukraine, which were fairly swiftly beaten until they found that the power was in their hearts all along (also Russian artillery/tanks/anti-air helped) and were able to fight the Ukrainian army back. This was also when MH-17 was shot down by the separatists.

Fast forward to now and Putin is extremely mad that the rest of the Ukraine for some reason doesn't want to stay Russian aligned and hopes another quick invasion will help with that (or maybe give him a boost in polls or rebuild the balls of influence or whatever are the main reasons).

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

For those of us that aren't well versed in recent Polish politics, what's a quick summary of that?

I'm assuming by recent you mean in the last x years.

The short version is that in 2015 PiS won the trifecta of presidency/senate/sejm (lower house) and steadily began dismantling democratic institutions, which began by ignoring the constitutional court rulings until the majority of judges were switched to PiS aligned ones. The public television steadily increased the propaganda until it reached absolutely ridiculous levels (blaming absolutely everything bad on either the EU or Tusk), culminating in stupidity like increasing the red and positioning the main opposition party logo to give Tusk horns:

The senate was lost to the collective opposition in the last elections, but it's a relatively toothless branch of the government - the main difference is that instead of rubberstamping acts, it can delay them by a month and the sejm can then overturn the veto anyway.

Lately the main topic was the wiretapping of opposition party during the last elections, prosecutors which are still anti-PiS and members of the agency that check for government overreach. There's also stuff like general corruption, but the target voters don't care, because PiS gave them lowered retirement age and 500 PLN/child/month ($125 roughly, 1/6 of current minimum wage).

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Why won't these warmongering Ukrainians just lay on their back and keep conceeeding their independence away, do they really hate peace this much?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Sinteres posted:

asked if there's more that could have been done for peace even knowing that.

Considering that Putin kept breaking stuff like armistice agreements he (co)wrote up and signed, I'm not sure why do you exactly expect him to abide to the next piece of paper. Do you believe this time he'll see the error of his ways or what.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

Not really?

The only ones obfuscated are the media and this thread because you all fell for obvious bullshit. No need to pretend there was a masterplan that got out of control so how could you not be beguiled. People tried to tell you there would be no war and you wouldn't listen.

It must be nice living in the parallel universe where Russia never invaded Crimea and Donbas.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Why are Ukrainians stoking the flames of war by not dropping dead and surrendering. They're very inconsiderate of my feelings.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

GABA ghoul posted:

Seems like tankies are massing forces on the border of the thread and doing probing incursions already

They may take our freedom, but they'll never take our Olivier salad :black101:

It was very considerate of Putin to make sure the civil war part came to be.

mmkay fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Truga posted:

about 80%? russia's at fault here, but this could have been easily avoidable if bush admin didn't say the thing despite knowing full well ukraine is never getting in because not every nato ally wants them in. putin would have zero reason to do anything in ukraine if ukraine wasn't a nato candidate

Weird though that the support for joining NATO was still below staying away from it in 2014 when Russia invaded.

Mod question - I'm unsure if this line of debate should be moved to the other thread, because it's related to Russia v Ukraine, or not?

Edit: I see that CommieGIR has responded to to this post there, so I'll repost as well.

mmkay fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 14, 2022