Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

The presidential limousine almost crashed when one of its tires - supposedly puncture-resistant - fell apart. No one got hurt. Many PiS voters are already making new conspiracy theories, while another half of the country is cracking jokes and putting tasteful stuff like "I wish he had died a torturous death" on their Facebook walls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

DrProsek posted:

Do you have sources for this and other similar greatest hits of PiS's new glorious rule? My dad keeps sending me :smug: emails over "look at how evil PiS is, they give benefits for families with kids, the horrors!" so while it won't change his mind or anything, it would make me feel much better to have sources to respond with "lol who needed rules of evidence anyway".

I mean, as a PiS supporter you can imagine the conspiracy theories he subscribes to and he'll probably praise throwing out fruit of the poisonous tree doctrine as "PO made up ridiculous evidence rules to stop PiS from prosecuting commie mutant traitors! GLORY TO THE FATHERLAND!" but I'd like to think if he's so obsessed with getting rid of corruption in Poland, a functioning justice system would be kinda important to him.

It's worth pointing out that they only give you money for your first child if you earn less than PLN 800 per month, per person within your family (1200 if your child is disabled). This is a massive "gently caress you" towards single parents. You also lose the right to the money if your son and daughter has children themselves.

The people who could use the additional money the most, won't get poo poo. It's Catholic families with lots of children that are supposed to benefit from this program.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Meanwhile in Poland, the Constitutional Court found the December act that was supposed to "regulate" (read as "paralyze") this organ as unconstitutional. The Prime Minister of Poland already announced they won't publish the decision (as required by law), as the Constitutional Court didn't deliberate according to the rules of the aforementioned act. This means the executive and legislative is now in open conflict with judiciary.

I don't know how PIS hopes to win this standoff, since virtually no one but them and their electorate is on their side. They asked the Venice Commission to check the act, but after the leaked documents suggested the opinion won't be as PIS hoped, they completely lost their poo poo and accused the entire European Union of trying to dominate poor, plucky Poland. Even the US government asked them to please stop meddling with the Constitutional Court, which the ruling party completely ignored.

They hope Poland will become second Hungary, but Orban managed to seize power without a PR nightmare every single months. Everything PiS or their supporters do since the elections is a spectacle of incompetence. Polish news read like excerpts from The Onion. Recently the board of an elementary school in Opole launched an internal investigation because someone wrote "Andrzej Dupa" ("dupa" means "butt" in Polish) in the school toilet. They took the notebooks from the children to compare their handwriting and find the offender. As they told the students, they were afraid that during the annual inspection, someone is going to see the graffiti and assume the school authorities don't support the new government.

Gantolandon fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 9, 2016

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

blowfish posted:

Is it too early to grab the popcorn in anticipation of the Polish civil war?

It's a wet dream of Polish nationalists and Korwin libertarians.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Pizdec posted:

Indeed they did, the magnificent bastards.

(The context is that the PM is trying to stonewall the verdict by refusing to publish it, which is required to make it binding. So Razem decided to symbolically accelerate the process. :allears: )

(And they even managed to get shown in the media for it, bonus!)

Let's see how long this attention is going to remain. Plenty of people cheering for Razem yesterday are now absolutely livid, because they dared to ask PO and .Nowoczesna politicians not to come.

Edit: In other news, one of PiS politicians expressed concern that the picture from the projector could damage the facade of the building.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Lichtenstein posted:

Pretty sure Nowoczesna will steal the spotlight on this once they swarm the place with own banners and - most probably - bigger numbers.

It's less about the spotlight, more that they are embodiment of corrupted fat cats that PiS claims to fight. Their presence is absolutely poisonous for any movement that tried to oppose Kaczynski.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

The plot thickens. The leader of KOD felt offended that Razem organized a pro-democracy demonstration without him and ordered his people to remove their tent from the event. Meanwhile our favorite Janusz Korwin - Mikke, usually not a proponent of democracy, accused the government of ignoring the constitution and called on the army to seize power. I don't know if I should laugh or be terrified.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Pizdec posted:

In the contexty of the summit, I think it's mostly a symbolic expression to make the event seem like a bigger deal than it actually is, just like hosting the Olympics makes you a real country or something.
Although you never know with Macierewicz (the minister in question), the guy is completely nuts and looks and acts like the goddamn Master.

Case in point, just one day after the aforementioned speech about closer ties with our awesome NATO allies, the guy goes on record stating that Americans have no business criticising PIS for treating the Constitutional Tribunal like a clown car, since it's absurd that "people who built their state as late as the 18th century are telling us what democracy is", whereas the Polish state totes had democratic systems as early as the 13th century (Fun Fact: There was no unified Polish state in the 13th century, as it had fragmented into a collection of Kleinstaaterei-like bickering, independent provinces).

Not to mention that Poland straight out didn't exist through most of the time when the modern democratic states were forming itself. The Commonwealth was partitioned into oblivion in 1795 (and it wasn't a democracy by any reasonable standard). The first independent democratic Polish state was created in 1917, but it very quickly degenerated into semi-authoritarianism. After 20 years it was curb-stomped by the Third Reich, annexed and turned into a large version of a concentration camp, then "freed" and reestablished as a Soviet puppet state. In best case, Poland was a democracy (in its usual meaning) for maybe 35 years summarily.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

A Pale Horse posted:

Pretty soon the government will require public wailing and rending of clothes on those days as a display of love and sorrow for dearest leader. I was at the cinema recently and before the main feature started they showed the trailer for the new "Smolensk" movie. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. It's conspiracy theory upon conspiracy theory upon improbability upon impossibility. I'm sure it will rake in money though and a good portion of people will believe that bullshit.

fake edit: found it here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgSl0VAn76M

That reminded me of another hilarious thing.

I reported several pages ago that the current president, Andrzej Duda, almost had a car accident, because the tirein his car fell apart? Some right-wing conspiracy theorists already suggested it was an (another) assassination attempt, that a hired sniper could have shot the wheel. There was a swift investigation and the truth has come out a few days ago.

It turned out that the tire that fell apart mid-ride was not only six-years old, but also already decommissioned. Some idiots in BOR (Government Protection Bureau), however, needed a tire for the presidential armored car right loving now, because Duda wanted to ski. They took the one from the decommissioned parts storage and installed it into the presidential armored car, which was meant to take the president from Wroclaw to Karpacz. Unfortunately, there were a section of the track which was not only quite steep, but full of rocks and ice. No car except the mountain lifeguards' off-road car could drive across. But the driver of the presidential car just floored and went through the rocks on full speed. This is probably when the tire was damaged.

Over a month later, the presidential car were speeding through the highway so fast the ambulance being a part of the convoy couldn't catch up. Low pressure alert was blaring, but the driver ignored it, because the president's delegation was already late. Somehow no one got hurt when the tire inevitably blew up. Had the idiot in the car died, we would have another Smolensk.

Edit: The best thing is that they can't blame PO for that, because they replaced the entire leadership of BOR several months ago.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

So do I have this right, the sitting prime minister of Poland has not-so-secretly accused the sitting president of murdering his twin brother, the previous president?

No. He accused of that the former Prime Minister and the sitting European Council president. Also, he's not the Prime Minister, just the power behind the throne.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

More stupid things PiS did recently:

• World Youth Days - a Catholic mass event financed, of course, at the expense of the Polish state - is nearing. Some (apparently religious) farmers decided to lend some of their own land for free. The thing is, this land needs to be meliorated and, according to the special act prepared for this event and passed several days ago, the owner should pay for that. The opposition and even some PiS deputies protested against this particular provision, but the Sejm majority apparently considered it perfectly fine. This means some of the generous farmers are going to pay even several thousands PLN.
  • Remember the 500+ program, the only electoral promise PiS seemed to care about, which was going to help larger families and encourage Poles to have more children? The Financial Ministry has a new idea to pay this money in government bonds.

anilEhilated posted:

At least they seem to treat Russia like the leper it is.

Unfortunately, they treat pretty much everyone but the US and UK like lepers. Their treatment of Russia isn't really unique.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

A Catholic monk criticized Polish Prime Minister Beata Szydlo and her supporters for refusing to take in any refugees. Momentally a shitstorm in the comments ensued, as Polish Catholics wanted to know how the gently caress this guy dares to evaluate someone's else's faith.

:irony: :poland:

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

The Pope, in a gesture of humility, washed feet of some refugees. A lot of Polish Catholics didn't take it well.

Some Facebook quotes:

• "This is a betrayal of Christ and Christianity."
  • "Antipope, betrayer of Jesus Christ the King."
  • "We don't want the Antichrist in Krakow." (the Pope is supposed to visit the city during the World Youth Day)
  • "This leftie pretending to be the Pope is going to try to make us to accept terrorists!"
  • "Is this senility?"
  • "He's loving dangerous!"
  • "Muslims got their feet washed... probably for the first time in their life."
  • "Washing the feet of 12 men is supposed to memorize how Christ washed the feet of the Apostles... and here we have some women and pagans."

These are the same people who usually present themselves as ultra-orthodox and maintain that you have to completely adhere to everything a priest teaches you to be even a passable Catholic.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

gently caress those pretend Catholics. poo poo like this makes me almost as angry as the Prosperity Gospel.

Fun fact: there is a priest in Poland that runs a charity organization and espouses what is pretty much a Catholic version of the Prosperity Gospel.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Guildencrantz posted:

Eh, they're already here in all but name. I've mentioned this before, but the religious-conservative crowd is hugely influenced by American evangelical thought. Catholic creationists are a thing, a lot of the popular anti-gay and anti-feminist arguments are straight from evangelical theology, and they even imported all of the old Protestant moral panics. I remember the priest at school warning us about the spiritual dangers of tabletop RPG's and showing a subtitled VHS "documentary" about satanic ritual abuse - and this was in the early 2000's, years after even most American biblethumpers had long abandoned belief in that stuff.

Honestly if the Pope says "you should take in refugees" during his visit, I wouldn't rule out some sort comical, first-as-tragedy-then-as-farce schism, or at least some organized right-wing opposition to the Pope materializing beyond the current complaints. There are thousands of devout Catholics who agree with Francis on literally nothing, it's just that so far actual Vatican influence in Poland was small and they could safely ignore him. The papal visit could bring this conflict to a head.

I would elaborate how much the Polish Catholic Church is out of control, but instead I'm going to leave here a quote from a Polish priest.

"It's a myth! There is no such quote in the Holy Scripture where Jesus tells people to share their wealth. It's Cathomarxism, a collection of stereotypes which are used to create a religion. Jesus didn't say anything about sharing their income. He helped the poor, but had plenty of rich friends and didn't tell them "Oi, you have too much money, give some off."

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

The chief of the Polish diplomacy said to the press that Poland "abandoned negroeness" in diplomacy with the US. By this, he meant the servile attitude.

Using the word "murzyńskość" wasn't his idea, to be fair, but Radosław Sikorski's, the former Foreign Affairs Minister in PO government. The difference is that he used it in a private conversation which, unknowingly for him, has been recorded and published. Waszczykowski did this speaking officially as the Minister of Foreign Affairs.

(The word "Murzyn" is pretty similar to the word "Negro" in English. It used to be a word for a black person, but after 1989 it became slowly displaced. It's probably because its connotations were quite racist - its root word, "murzyć się" means pretty much "to get yourself dirty, especially with coal or tar".)

Gantolandon fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Mar 30, 2016

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Palpek posted:

Holy hell. While PiS is some scary poo poo sometimes I just think they'll fail out of sheer incompetence and stupidity. That word isn't even a real thing, it sounds clunky as hell but I'm sure it was deliberately used to insult the US president, what a clusterfuck.

Not likely, it's clearly a reference to the infamous recording with Sikorski. He just wanted to score political points against their hated enemies by reminding everyone about their blunder, but managed to make a much worse one in the process. PiS politics in a nutshell.

But I agree, their bumbling incompetence and malice approaches Dick Dastardly level.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

fishmech posted:

For everyone's sake, I hope you're right.

Even Orban doesn't fare too well, I think they had a massive protest recently in Hungary.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Stupid poo poo done (or in preparation) by PiS, another update.

• They are going to support total ban on abortion act, prepared by religious wackos and endorsed by the Episcopate. Terminating pregnancy is not going to be allowed even when the mother' life is in serious danger because of it (like in case of the melanoma, which pregnancy makes much more malignant). Hell, even if the mother needs an unrelated medical intervention that poses a danger to the "unborn child" (like chemotherapy), the doctor authorizing it could risk getting prosecuted.
  • They had been preparing for some time a very restrictive act making selling arable land much more difficult (ostensibly to prevent it from getting into foreign hands). Recently it turned out that religious organizations are going to be exempt from most of these rules, being able to sell and buy land without limits.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Palpek posted:

It's worth noting that the women will also be prosecuted for having an abortion and not only doctors, this includes rape victims. The 'best' thing is that the main argument used by those bishops is that "Life of every human being is protected by the 5th commandment: don't kill. Therefore the Catholic point of view in this matter is clear: life is supposed to be protected from conception to natural death"... Yeah, that sure is a great argument for letting the mother die giving birth because apparently the 5th commandment doesn't include her, loving retards.

I remember an interview with a Catholic doctor who said she wouldn't terminate pregnancy of a woman with melanoma. She also wouldn't even tell her who else could do the abortion, nor would she inform her that in her state, pregnancy puts her life in serious danger. At this point it's not even about protecting the fetus, it's preventing the heathen for usurping the invisible sky wizard's right to determine who leaves and who dies.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

szary posted:

Having said that, I think this is a smoke screen - PiS dropped the abortion bomb, a shitstorm ensued and now barely anyone remembers about the constitutional crisis. Polls show that relatively few people in Poland want a stricter abortion law (something like 15%), the only ones in favour are hardcore right-wingers, and they're going to vote for PiS anyway, so there's no political capital to be gained.

I'm not sure what would it be supposed to achieve. The whole reason why PiS managed to get away with neutering the Constitutional Tribunal is that most people didn't give a gently caress about the entire debacle, thinking it was yet another war for some sinecures. Trying to pass a poo poo of a law even Iranian ayatollahs would find too radical will alienate a fuckload of their followers. And, as Pizdec mentioned, it's even likely to rally more people to the defense of the Tribunal, as it's currently the only non-PiS related body that could reasonably block that act. They seriously shat the bed now.

The reason why could that happened is probably much simpler - Kaczyński opened too many fronts and suddenly found himself without allies. Plenty of their well-known moderate supporters (like Staniszkis or Bugaj) publicly stated they shouldn't have voted for PiS, the UK and Orban ignored him, the US demanded them to stop tampering with the constitution. Even the Pope and some more liberal priests hosed them over by not taking their side over the refugees. The religious loons are the only side which didn't leave him - yet.

Recently there were some rumors that some PiS deputies consider breaking away from the party. Most people thought that some of the moderates finally had enough, but it could have been the Catholic wackos. In such a case, Kaczyński could either risk losing the majority in Sejm, or alienating some of his voters several months after the elections.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Lichtenstein posted:

It's PiS voters, man. If any of those guys would get bummed over this, they'd be the zeitgeist semi-stooges like Kukiz voters or something.

According to the polls, there are not many people who would really want to see the abortion law more restrictive. Besides, plenty of them just voted for PiS because they promised more redistribution and weren't embroiled in so many corruption scandals as PO.

Even among celebrities and pundits, there are many people who supported PiS for completely weird reason. Like Bugaj who said after the elections he sympathized with Razem, but didn't want to waste his vote. Or that gay activist who got pissed at PO they don't support civil partnerships enough and supported Duda during presidential elections as a protest.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

A Pale Horse posted:

Its not corrupt (in this instance), its the Catholic interpretation of the validity of abortion, in accordance with mainstream Catholic doctrine. It's just regressive like every major religion that isn't some hippy dippy new age bullshit or a dying protestant sect fighting for its survival. People can believe what they want but I can want people to believe less too because ultimately I and I guess Pierogi too believe that religion is a force for evil in the world.

Anyway Poland was doomed to religiosity for the next several decades because of JPII and people's perception of him as one of the main catalysts in the fall of communism.

It helped that until JPII died, no one really dared to stand against the bullshit of the Church. He was an immensely popular figure and both post-communists and liberals decided that trying to oppose the clergy is a foregone conclusion and tried to appease them instead.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

There is a silver lining in Church - proposed abortion ban: it activated plenty of women that usually stayed out of the politics. Yesterday there were manifestations against the act in major Polish cities and plenty of people showed up - women outnumbered men, at least visually. There were plenty of other protests - in some churches, several women walked out during the reading of the letter of Polish bishops, urging the Catholics to support total abortion ban. Right now, plenty of activists are flooding Facebook fanpages of the Prime Minister, PiS and the Episcopate with very graphic descriptions of their menstruation cycles.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Are women in Poland generally more or less pro-abortion/"choice" then men?

The only research I saw (from 2010) maintains there is no significant difference in attitude to abortion according to the gender. I heard, however, that young women statistically lean left more than young men.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

And even if it's a feature movie, it's still dubbed by the worst, cheapest actors possible. I suspect that recently TV stations started bringing drugged up hobos to the studio to do the work for free, because no other alternative makes sense.

Movies in Poland are rarely dubbed - or at least were when I still watched TV. Usually a lector speaking over the original track is used.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

grate deceiver posted:

In Poland it's actually just one guy narrating the whole movie (it's called "juxtareading" I think?), at least on the freely available channels. Paid cable or satellite channels usually have subtitles for normal people.

They as in who? From what I understand, it was the station's dumb idea, not the movie publisher's or government policy?

Actually, the station claims the movie has already been censored by Americans for their TV channels and they got it in such state.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

It's quite similar in Poland - every several years the politicians look at traffic accidents statistics and decides we are not tough on crime (well, violations) enough. Fines were massively raised last year and I don't think anything changed - everyone's still speeding as they used to. Sometimes initiatives to cull the number of accidents backfire spectacularly - when traffic cameras were introduced, the local governments started to plop them everywhere they could, including completely safe roads that should probably get their speed limits raised. When the drivers learned where they are and you could download an app for your phone that would warn you about a camera nearby, they started concealing them, hiding them in dumpsters and deploying mobile traffic cameras just to keep the gravy train coming. Nothing was done about it until it turned out that the Traffic Ministry was disappointed with the amount of fine money they got, expecting much more. Drivers got quite pissed and the government reduced the traffic camera presence and banned concealing them.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Rinkles posted:

The Arab hate is probably a recent development?

Yup. There are almost no Arabs in Poland and there never was a significant amount of them to be noticeable (except maybe for Syrians who sometimes studied in PRL). All that hate appeared out of nowhere after 9/11 and the appearance of ISIS cranked it up to 11.

Edit: As for Romanians appearing pretty low on the list, it's because plenty of Poles can't distinguish them from Romas.

Gantolandon fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 7, 2016

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Also, TVP2 (the second channel of the Polish public TV) wants to make a sitcom about future Poland, which became a world power. It quickly dominated Europe thanks to cutting edge tech and now plenty of impoverished Belgians, Germans and Brits try to leave their third-world shitholes and work here. The series will begin with the Polish national team beating the Brazilian one and winning World Cup.

http://m.wirtualnemedia.pl/m/artykul/tvp2-chce-nakrecic-futurystyczny-sitcom-2050-o-polsce-jako-swiatowej-potedze

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Palpek posted:

Hahaha, oh god. They're not very good at this propaganda thing are they? I can't imagine people watching it for anything other than the irony factor. I mean, if it was just about Poland being a superpower I could see people buying it but the crazy switcheroo where it's Brits and Germans that wash our dishes now you see and then the national soccer team that even its fans love to hate becomes the best in the world and it's too close to a parody.

Theoretically, it's supposed to be a sitcom, so you could reasonably expect some autoirony. Given the recent takeover of the public media and mass layoffs, I don't think anyone dares to do that.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Palpek posted:

I can't wait for homegrown audio experts to declare this new recording quality to be the ultimate proof of assassination. Every shout is an explotion, every crack is a missle hit, every whisper is just the sound of a burning fuse.

This seems like a joke, but Smolensk truthers already managed to turn an ordinary movie where some guy walks through the forest and finds some debris into the proof of assassination. They heard not only shooting, but also victims pleading for mercy, or someone shouting "Kill the fucker" in Russian. Some even saw people in the bushes stalking the operator.

Edit: I just remembered my favorite bit of this conspiracy theory. There were plenty of ways various people suggested Russians could kill Kaczynski, but there was one where they filled the entire area around Smolensk with helium, creating a low-density bubble around the plane. There were also one where they kidnapped the real aircraft and crashed a replica with some random bodies taken from the morgue.

Gantolandon fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Apr 12, 2016

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

It's less about rational fear, more that "resisting a foreign invader" is one of the core elements of the modern Polish culture. It prevailed in its formative years (when Poland was divided between three other countries) and got cranked up to 11 after the Nazi invasion and 50 years of being a Russian satellite country. Starting from the elementary school, the Polish child is bombarded with imagery of plucky Polish heroes standing up to the foreign oppressor and winning - well, at least morally. It's not even conscious indoctrination - it's just the fact that our best poets, writers and artists wouldn't shut the gently caress up about independence. Polish nationalism was never based on feelings of superiority, but fear that someone will come and make us slaves again. Hence the fears of Russia, who did gently caress with us before - hence for many people it's only natural they are going to do this now.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

A Pale Horse posted:

Czechia sounds better and I like using it better than Czech republic so I hope they do it.

There was quite the kerfuffle in the Polish Sejm today as during the voting for a new PiS justice to the Constitutional Tribunal a MP for Kukiz 15 admitted to voting for another MP for Kukiz 15 who wasn't present in the Sejm. While this is normal in the U.S. and U.K. it is strictly forbidden in Poland and is in fact a crime. She was then stupid enough to admit it to a reporter for TVN and tried to justify herself by saying he gave her permission. Kukiz 15 has reacted by kicking her out of the party and demanding her resignation as an MP and the MP she voted for has also been removed from the party (although they allowed him to resign) and will be removed from the Sejm Ethics Committee. The interesting thing is the MP who was absent is Kornel Morawiecki, one of Kukiz 15s better known and well respected members, a former Solidarity leader and a darling of the far right. I have to say I'm surprised Kukiz 15 has the integrity to do this, if it was two PiS MPs they would claim it never happened and try to sweep it all under the rug while calling the opposition Gestapo Communist Traitors.

Morawiecki left Kukiz'15 because they tried to give him a suspension. Neither him nor Zwiercan want to resign as MPs, though.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

A Pale Horse posted:

She may not have choice if the prosecutors office decides to pursue charges and the Sejm votes to rescind her immunity, which they will.

Why would they? PiS controls the Sejm majority and they already tried to shelter her. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if she joined them some time later.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

A Pale Horse posted:

Its an easy PR win for them. They get to kick out and possibly prosecute a crooked, (technically) opposition politician and look like they're doing the right thing. Letting her join after she was kicked out of Kukiz for committing a crime doesn't seem like a winning strategy or look good at all to anyone who isn't already a PiS diehard. I haven't had time to read the article yet but from a headline I saw it looks like Morawiecki threw her under the bus already too. Then again PiS doesn't seem too concerned about looking like a bunch of incompetent malicious idiots with everything else so who knows.

Let me tell you what else doesn't look good to anyone that isn't a PiS diehard:
  • promising to pass a total abortion ban along with possibly prosecuting women for miscarriage
  • passing a law making buying agrarian land more difficult and leaving an exception for the Church

They are past giving fucks at this point and they already tried to defend Zwiercan. Nothing is going to happen to her at least until the next elections.

Also, Morawiecki seems far from throwing her under the bus:

quote:

Dodał również, że definitywnie kończy działalność w Kukiz'15, ponieważ nie zgadza się na udawanie, że posłów nie ma na sali i usiłowanie w ten sposób do osiągnięcia braku kworum w Sejmie. - Skończyłem działalność w Ruchu Kukiza. Panią poseł Zwiercan wyrzucono, mnie chciano zawiesić, więc odszedłem. I to już koniec - powiedział.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Leszek Balcerowicz, the father of Polish economic transformation and the staunch defender of austerity and privatization, became Poroshenko's representative in Ukrainian government. Somehow I doubt this will end well.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Excommunication isn't apostasy, guys. It means you cannot take part in Church ceremonies (sacraments) until you repent.

Edit: In other news, the Polish Supreme Court decided today they are going to honor rulings of the Constitutional Court despite the executive not publishing them. This creates an interesting (as in "interesting times") situation where state courts sometimes are going to use different law than the administration.

Gantolandon fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 26, 2016

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Nitrox posted:

That depends on what you do for a living

Most likely they're a government empleoyee, as they are the ones who's going to work this Saturday.

http://polska.newsweek.pl/beata-kempa-zadecydowala-urzednicy-przyjda-do-pracy-w-sobote-4-czerwca,artykuly,385510,1.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Some light at the end of the tunnel - the Pride in Gdańsk went pretty well.

It looked bad at first - after the march registered, the anti-LGBT rights organizations mobilized and registered about 15 counter-manifestations, each extremely near the Pride or directly colliding with its planned path. Among the organizers were football hooligans from Warsaw and Poznań and several Catholic anti-gay and anti-abortion organizations. Summarily, there were supposed to be about 2000 people, a large part of them expected to behave aggressively. It's pretty well summed up on this joke picture that circulated Facebook a week ago.

The city authorities reacted quickly - the Administrative Court tried to sort poo poo out and reorganize demonstrations to prevent bloodshed. The organizers of the Pride agreed to change the path of the march to avoid clashing with counter-manifestations. Of the latter, some were canceled - their initiators didn't even bother to appear in the court, since the only reason they bothered with registration was to prevent the Pride from happening. Only 6 of them were permitted.

I never saw as many riot police officers in Gdansk as yesterday. I heard they brought reinforcements from Szczecin. It turned out to be more than enough - out of expected 2000 angry nationalists, only 200 bothered to show up. They tried to interfere with the Pride, but failed to get through the police and tried to battle them instead, which was more than enough to declare their demonstrations illegal and chase them off. They tried to make their stand on the tram stop near to the place where the march was supposed to end. The Pride was directed through another route, the nationalists were chased away, 5 people were arrested for attacking the police, including the daughter of Anna Kolakowska, a member of the city council from PiS.

It could have ended worse, I guess.