Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

OddObserver posted:

A couple of Western luxury car manufacturers had record years of sales in Russia, however.

I have seen theorising in the press that this is due to search for storage of value that is more secure and stable than currency. Having a good that usually is thought of as losing significant value the moment it is bought being more stable than currency is one of those ideas that seem fantastical but just might be believable in Russia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Ratpick posted:

Apparently the EU has already threatened to cut Romania's funding if this thing goes through. Hopefully, that combined with political pressure from these protests should deter them from doing this one stupid thing. Godspeed Romaniagoons!

Who said it? To my knowledge there has never been a serious mention by relevant authorities of withdrawal of structural funds in any previous cases. Not with Poland, not with Hungary, not with Greece.

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
I have seen newspapers attributing the change to the failed opposition to the re-election of Donald Tusk to European Council president, in which Poland as the only country opposed, not even managing to get their ally hungary to vote with them. Kaszynski personally dislikes Tusk. This was seen as a petty attack without purpose or effect by many poles. It is also a source of pride to have a Pole in a very influential position in the EU which it seems counterproductive for Poland to try to change. No idea if this is the real explanation.

catfry fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 6, 2017

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Apparently the country with the most HIV infected people is South Africa, but more women are infected than men. Perhaps heterosexual couplings there more frequently perform anal sex than in the US?

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

cinci zoo sniper posted:

There are only two things that remain constant in the Universe - human stupidity and the road network of Poland.

Might not be as constant much longer. since joining the EU there has been a huge development in Poland.
This is a small flash app that displays the existing and under construction motorway network for each year, from 1936 to 2012, when the app was made. Data since that year is not entirely correct, but the displayed network for 2016 is correct for 2017.

Click on each year in the middle column to se the status for that year. Green is completed, red is under construction:
http://stadiony.klszarak.org/scc_a_s.swf

Worth noting that the only motorways in Poland from 1936 to 1977 were those that were built by Nazi Germany.

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
sorry, not to my knowledge. I have taken some screen grabs:

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Ardennes posted:

Hell, thats arguably why he is so paranoid.

Do you think Orbán thinks that he owe his position to his education funded by Open Society grants, and that others receiving such grants can displace him? Or do you mean something else?

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
He would have to be deranged to think like that. That he was enabled by his education grants to receive some 'super secret special knowledge' that no one else had, that allowed him to rise to the top.
No rational person thinks, "oh, I took this path and ended here, therefore I must prevent anyone else to do the same lest they replace me", specially when that magic bullet turns out to be classes in political philosophy for gods sake. I don't think it's likely that that is what's behind the attacks on Soros. I can believe that he prefers more controlled access to higher education and a less liberal society, just because that's the authoritarian path to a more controllable nation.

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Ardennes posted:

I wouldn't say it is knowledge, but let's be honest here the guy went from a college student to a major political figure in the space on a year. It wasn't a class, but probably a combination of political access and being in the right place at the right time by being a young libertarian Hungarian at Oxford. It had to be factor there somewhere.

The open society does not provide grants that give political access or enable being in the right place at the right time any more than anything else. They enable education. They did not create Orbán, or were even a major factor. It is not sensible to point to such a generic thing as an education grant in a persons life and say, "this thing shaped who they are, it will surely shape others similarly".

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Ardennes posted:

The issue isn't that it shaped his life in a generic fashion, but he very very quickly became a major political figure. Part of education, especially elite institutions, is access and being able to meet the right people at the right time (like I said especially for a right-libertarian Hungarian in the late 1980s at Oxford).

Lots of paths lead to meeting the right people. If you want to prevent people meeting the right people, where do you even begin? Attacking education grants has to be a drop in the bucket, in the sea of people meeting the right people in all sorts of ways.
You have presented the idea that Orbán preventing Soros grants is a rational move because it prevents people from meeting the right people and eventually replacing him. It still seems ludicrous as an idea.

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
I'll go along with that

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Cat Mattress posted:

Yeah, the network is quite a bit bigger than one would expect.

That map shows more than just the continental european synchronized net. This is a better map to show what countries are affected:

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wide_area_synchronous_grid#/media/File:ElectricityUCTE.svg)

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
^^^ None of that is related to borders between synchronous domains I think. The map cat mattress posted show all the connections, some have a lot of capacity, others less, but in many cases there are stronger connections between two regions with no synchronicity than there are between areas ostensibly in the same synchronous area.

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Not an expert either. As far as I know, connections between different domains are always via a DC connection. These require converter stations to convert the current to AC. I suppose these can be fairly large and complex, and perhaps more maintenance prone.
But when talking about the Danish network, I guess one source of imbalance can be that the connection across the Great Belt has a maximum capacity of 400 MW. I guess Copenhagen in the east is the biggest energy sink, and probably the most wind power is generated in wind farms beyond the shores of Jutland in the western zone, so I could imagine some situations where there is generated a lot of power that cannot get across the Belt to the users. Upgrading the Great Belt connection would be a solution.

I have read about similar balancing issues between Germany and Poland, and in that case it is definitely a capacity issue, not a synchronicity issue.

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
The face of jesus christ screaming FREEDOM makes old poles cum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Rust Martialis posted:

Scandinavians can play too - Danish "Russian Salad"

2-3 cooked beets