Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

A Pale Horse posted:

One more thing. The new justice minister is doing away with the "fruit of the poisonous tree" doctrine, meaning any evidence gathered illegally will be admissible in court. :psyduck:

This country is becoming a sick joke.

Eh, That's probably the first change introduced by the new government I agree with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

A Pale Horse posted:

The newest outrage by PiS is almost too despicable to believe. They've decided to defund all publicly funded safe houses and treatment organizations for domestically abused women and children. Their reasoning is that they only help women which is an "unnecessary narrowing" of services. Yes they're actually trotting out the "but what about men" argument. So far the staffs of these places have stayed on in a volunteer capacity, but that can't last, especially since they have no money to pay rent for these buildings. This is loving evil. The other poo poo they've done has been authoritarian, inhumane, antidemocratic and generally lovely. But this is loving evil. I hate them so goddamn much.

Can you link the news? I haven't been able to find anything relevant on the internet.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

alex314 posted:

It's a part of "Rota", very anti-german song that was created early 20th century in response to a campaign of prosecution of Poles. It almost ended up as a national anthem, would be pretty awkward..

I've seen better copypasta taking rounds. It's structured as a prayer where someone asks God why he favours Germans, and that it sucks to be poor. And it's not fair because they've destroyed Europe and we keep our faith, and we even elected right wing government. But if we tie 2:2 we promise to stop making fun of Terlikowski (crazy as gently caress right wing shithead) and throw Nergal into volcano.

I doubt the author considered possibility of a tie.

Please link it, I just have to see it.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

A Pale Horse posted:

old Jewish curse "May you live in interesting times".

Chinese. Allegedly.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

The first conspiracy theory I got told while I was in Poland for nine months was a somewhat convoluted one about France taking over the Polish internet for geopolitical purposes. :v: No Jews involved unless I missed an implication about the owners of the French telecom company in question (which was partnered with my favorite Polish oligarch).

Was it about TP SA fusing with Orange?

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

OddObserver posted:

Which right-wing populist party doesn't Russia have investments in?

(Maybe some Croatians?)

PiS, maybe?

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Pyromancer posted:

Someone has to, Turkey and Poland are still mad they no longer get to be the dicks of the region.

Ehhhh, Poland was never a dick on anything approaching Russia's level.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

A Pale Horse posted:

Yeah, in Polish rolnik is farmer, peasant is chłop, but it doesn't really have a negative connotation either like the word does in English.

The Polish word for a villager (wieśniak), however, does.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

treerat posted:

Hello friends, I have a minor polish grammar question but I don't want to derail this thread. So, Putin is bad. He taught me realpolitik like nobody else could cuz he's a worthless oval office and I thank/loathe him for that.

Fake content aside, how do I say "Polish potatoes, they are good." It's something like Polski ziemniaki, sa dobre but I don't really know the language and don't trust that. Also I learned today that Poles share the Deutsche word kartofle! The earth-apple carries memetic power.

Can't it just be "Polish potatoes are good"? That'd be "Polskie ziemniaki są dobre".

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Paladinus posted:

'Polskie ziemniaki, więc są dobre' would be more correct in this context I believe.

I see nothing in that sentence that would imply a need for "więc". A larger context would help, though.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

treerat posted:

I'm sorry for not making it more obvious but these potatoes to which I refer have been beautifully rectified, if that helps to distill my context.

I think Pierogi probably nailed it the way I was thinking it in my head. It was a very slow thought, not really a fully formed sentence in a traditional sense.

I think the most natural sentence conveying the meaning you intended would be "nie ma to jak polskie ziemniaki".

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Zak2k12 posted:

I can answer if anyone has more questions about Romanian politics or the current political situation, and I'll try to keep it neutral when it comes to history. Most of these things can be easily looked up and verified. My own opinion is that right now PSD and ALDE are riding on the anti-EU hype train and are going to try to steal anything that isn't nailed down and try to keep their own people out of prison by weakening all the justice reforms and institutions created in the last 20 years. I am sure there are good and honest people in both parties who want a rule of law, but their leadership is literally made up of convicted felons or people under investigation for corruption. Things are looking bad.

How long until the next elections?

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Tevery Best posted:

Has someone published a "how to spin a disgustingly evil legislation after you have to withdraw it" book recently, because the govt here says the exact same thing every time

Except for the president bit because ours is a puppet.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Excerpt from another Levada's poll:
Top 5 Russia's friends (desc): Belarus, China, Kazakhstan, Syria, India.
Top 5 Russia's enemies (desc): USA, Ukraine, Germany, Latvia, Lithuania.

Awww, Poland didn't make it into top five enemies. How close were we?

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Dang, we were so close. Curse you, Lithuania!

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

That's just Pawłowicz. Saying dumb things is kind of her entire schtick.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Can we kick poland out of the EU and give it to Putin or what ever neo-warsaw pact he's trying to put together? Maybe Hungary too.

I'm honestly fine with that as long as you wait long enough for me to get out of this shithole.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

vyelkin posted:

There's perhaps no better sign of end-of-history hubris than the people who wrote the EU rules never really considering that maybe they should have mechanisms to punish member countries that did horrible undemocratic poo poo

A lot of what they could potentially do is being blocked by Hungary. Including a power of absolute veto is the single worst thing you can do when establishing an organisation and yet it somehow keeps happening.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Dwesa posted:

Well, kick Orban's Hungary too, problem solved :smuggo:

Problem is, Poland would block that.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
For those less familiar with Polish politics: No one expected Duda to veto anything EVER. EVERYONE, including PiSS took him for Kaczyński's sock puppet. Presidents in Poland don't have that much power to begin with, and when the Parliament is controlled by their politica; option their role gets pretty much purely representative. Hell, he was widely referred to as "pen" in the internet, because the only thing he did was give his signature on the bills PiS voted on.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jul 24, 2017

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The truth doesn't always make friends. Poland doomed Europe to suffer the horrors of WW2 by preferring to stab Czechoslovakia in the back rather than support the Soviet-Czech anti-German alliance.

Newsflash: the Soviets were not the good guys in WW2, they were just the bad guys on the other side (and even that only after a certain point). And if you're talking about dooming to horrors, look up Ribbentrop-Molotov first. gently caress off.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Squalid posted:

Just curious, why was it specifically about Czechia and not say Germany or Slovakia(

It was USA in the original version, the joke first started making rounds in communist Poland

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Truga posted:

No, see, what will happen is the arab people will gently caress everything up and turn it into a wasteland desert, same as what happened with their previous home. Which we certainly didn't have anything to do with :pseudo:

The prevailing opinion among Poles is precisely that they had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Lord_Adonis posted:

I am currently considering taking advantage of my deceased paternal grandfather's Polish origins to gain Polish citizenship and escape Brexit Britain. Does anyone here have an appreciation of how difficult the citizenship process could be? According to the limited information that my father and I have been able to find, the child of a Polish parent is eligible for citizenship as long as the parent did not revoke or lapse their Polish citizenship. My father tells me that my grandfather maintained his citizenship, after he settled in the UK in 1947, though I have seen no evidence of this myself. I do know that he never possessed a British passport, and had to report to the local Police Station every month or so up until the early 1970s, so perhaps he did?

Would my grandfather's World War 2 experiences count against my citizenship claim? From the little I know, he and another of his brothers were separated from the rest of their family and then forcibly conscripted into the German Army in 1940 and threatened with death if they refused. As such, my grandfather fought with the Germans from 1940 to 1943. He was captured by the British in Italy and ended up interned in a POW camp in Britain. He had always said that he did not serve willingly with the Germans, and placed himself in a deliberate position where he would be captured (So it was a de facto defection). He did not desert before then because he spent 1940 in Germany and 1941-42 in Russia and did not want to be captured by the Russians (Funnily enough, another one of his brothers ended up being forcibly conscripted into the Red Army in 1940). He spent about six months in the POW camp before being offered the chance to fight with the Free Polish forces under British command. As such, he spent the rest of the war in the Polish section of the RAF as a navigator. He fought on both sides of the conflict, and I wonder whether that fact will endear his children and grandchildren to the Polish authorities?

I have been told that the entire citizenship application process must be completed in Polish, with no English forms or applications. Is this true? Unfortunately neither myself or my father speak a word of Polish. Also, I was told that I might have to complete some kind of 'national service' in the Polish Armed Forces as part of my citizenship. Is this true? Would I require someone who is already a Polish citizen to vouch for my father and I and assist us in our application? My father has been able to locate members of my grandfather's rather large extended family in Poland, but has been unable to engage in any significant communication with them as none of them speak much English.

I would welcome any advice that anyone can offer on this matter.

I'm talking with a law student about your case, is your father still alive?

E: brainfart, you said that he is. So administrative law isn't his forte so he can't help much but he gave me some places where I can check. I'll try to find out more in a couple of hours when it's not midnight.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 21, 2017

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Why is Szydło resigning?

No one really knows. People were speculating that it's so the duckman can replace her, but now that they've announced that Morawiecki's taking over the role of his most prominent puppet that theory's out of the window. There are rumours that she and Duda were conflicted and the latter demanded that she be replaced in exchange for returning to being Poland's First Pen.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Wesołych Świąt, thread!

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

So, I don't know about Russia or the western countries, but here in Poland there's something called "znaleźne". Basically, you're legally entitled to receive up to 10% of the value of a lost item you've found and returned to its owner. In practice with wallets it's 10% of the money inside.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

AceRimmer posted:

Also Polish goons what is up with your awful "tequila flavored" beer :wtc:

You mean Desperados? Been a while since I've drunk it but I don't remember it being that terrible.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Running theories for the new PM dumping Macierewicz?

Duda's conditions for signing the bill that completely hosed up the Polish judicary system and put us in danger of EU sanctions?

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

There was tension between the two of them?

For some time, and for several reasons, yes. Most direct is that in June Macierewicz started an investigation into general Jakub Kraszewski, Duda's closest associates in the Office of National Security, blocking his access to secret information. Duda was very vocally displeased about this, callling Macierewicz's methods "UB-like"

A lot of the conflict seems to stem from butting heads over the competences. See, the President of Poland is, ostentibly, the Supreme Commander of Armed Forces (not Commander-in-chief, mind, he merely nominates one in wartime,) but pretty much all the actual military competences are held by the Minister of National Defence. Duda is pushing for extending the competences of the President, and Macierewicz does not like to share.

The third reason, related to Duda's ambitions, is that he enjoys a far broader support than PiSs in general and wants to keep it that way and Macierewicz is possibly the single politician in Poland more polarising than the duckman.

There's also a chance that PiSs is preparing for Macierewicz's Smoleńsk report to end up a wet fart, since that's the only thing they've left him in charge of.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Lichtenstein posted:

Last time Korwin had 6,1% in exit polls before getting humiliatingly brought down to 4,9%, so let's hope this lightning can strike twice.

Wouldn't PiSs benefit the most of all parties from Korwin falling below the threshold? Maybe it's better that they make it in and be a complete non-factor?

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Paladinus posted:

If things sucked less for you then than they suck now? Pretty easy.
Plus it's the symbol on the flag raised over Bundestag in 1945. Kind of hard to divorce the fact that Soviet people won WWII from Soviet symbols.

Also the symbol carried by the army that invaded and occupied eastern Poland on September 17th. And for a lot of people here divorcing Soviet symbols from the fact that the Soviets helped kick the whole thing off, and not on the right side, either, is even harder.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Nitrox posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6h_ol4IXrk/?igshid=11p0yz641feam

Apparently this clip is being actively deleted from all social media in Russia.

So... what's he saying, for those of us who don't speak Russian?

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

I. M. Gei posted:

Bingo!

So I guess I’m wondering, what is the Polish word for “layaway”?

"Zaliczka" is the closest equivalent I can think of, but it's not 1:1. It's just not a widely (or even at all) practiced method of payment in Poland.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Big Hubris posted:

This fucker absolutely removes second canines for religious reasons and should be stripped of his credentials.

Excuse me, WHAT?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Erulisse posted:

So far most of my acquaintances got the sputnik. All live, some of side effects aside.
Thinking about getting one myself. A vaccine i mean, lol if anyone thinks theres choice here yet.

How is it in europe now? You come and they say "choose your vaccine" or like, search for a place that does a particular one or something else?

Registration for my year opened up tonight at midnight, the automatic system gave me an A-Z at the end of May, called in this morning to speak with an actual human and they found me a Moderna tomorrow afternoon in a town 30km away from Łódź.