Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

welp, wrong thread

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Apr 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Paladinus posted:

It's not a schism. The largest Orthodox schism in modern history has happened when the unrecognised Kievan Patriarchate was established. Now it's the opposite, because the aim is to give actual canonical recognition to Ukraine's claim for their own autocephalous church. The problem is, of course, that not all Ukrainian Orthodox Christians from all existing demominations (the official Moscow Patriarchate is nominally the most numerous, followed by non-canonical Kievan Patriarchate and Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church) would want to join the newly proclaimed patriarchate. Around 20% of Ukrainians outside of occupied territories (meaning no Crimea, and Donbass) feel strongly against autocephaly according to polls. At this point in time Ukrainian autocephaly will cause a lot of unrest and religious violence, especially when the new patriarchate and other churches start fighting over ecclesial property and land, exacerbating pre-existing conflicts between Greek Catholics and aforementioned Orthodox Christians. It's happened many times before, and is bound to happen again. This, in turn, may help Russia's support on occupied territories, or at least opposition to Ukrainian government, from general population.

Well, apparently Russian Orthodox Church threatens to break up with Constantinople if Kiev Patriarchy is granted autocephaly. I don't think this happened in recent memory (or ever?)

Also, not sure what kind of religious violence is that supposed to cause since the splinter group in question is de-facto independant from ROC for 20+ years and are just asking for official recognition.

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Sep 19, 2018

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I've heard another interesting church-legalese take on this. If this comes to pass that means that act of Konstantinople of 1686 of tranfer of Kiev-Galicia metropoly to Moscow jurisdiction is annuled. However Kiev-Galicia was larger than just Ukraine, it included entirety of Belarus as well. So technically it means that Belarus is no longer under Moscow jurisdiction. If Ukraine autocephaly will include all the original Kiev-Galicia lands that will make Belarusian orthodox church (currently Belarusian exarchy to Moscow partiarch) subordinate to Kiev, if autocephaly only includes current borders of Ukraine than Belarus becomes a part of Constantinople patriarchy.

e: apparently they outright annuled the letter of 1686. Incidentally patriarch Kirill is visiting Minsk at the moment. A lot of ancient papers-rustling is surely to follow

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Oct 13, 2018

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Grape posted:

Sorry to Grouchio but does this hubbub about the Ukrainian church mean that we've had or are possibly about to have a whole new schism?
Is the Russian Orthodox church technically no longer Eastern Orthodox?

It's not on the original Constantinople vs Rome level yet (placing anathema on each other) but ROC basically doesn't consider churches in Constantinople jurisdition "cool" for its members to receive spiritual services. Same with Constantinople hierarchs. Most Orthodox churches have an agreement that for example means than Bulgarian Orthodox Church members can for instance receive baptism or confession in ROC church and it's considered "valid" in Bulgaria. ROC no longer allows it for constantinople. Constantinople patriarch didn't respond with their own measures.

In practice it means very little, only matters for really strict Russian Orthodox people living in Istanbul and Russian VIPs who liked to visit mount Athos which also belongs to Constantinople.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Dwesa posted:

So, I am not sure if understand this whole schism correctly. I think it's obvious why ROC is angry, but I don't understand why is Constantinople patriarch granting Ukrainian churches autocephaly. Is it a reasonable thing to do or is there some feud between patriarchates in the background?

Official reason was that ROC failed to do its mission: stop a war between two orthodox peoples that both belong to its jurisdiction.

I think Paladinus is more knowledgeble on the matter, but IMO Bartholomew sees this as a chance to gain influence potentially over Ukraine, thanks of the Ukranian government and look kind of good in the process. Maybe he actually wants to do some good?
Could be there are personal feelings involved as well, this leaked transcript of Kirill and Bartholomew meeting sheds some light:

https://orthodoxia.info/news/exclusive-the-dialogue-between-the-patriarchs-of-constantinople-and-moscow-during-their-meeting-at-the-phanar/

IMO Bartholomew might be pissed that ROC is both essentially a department of the Kremlin and simultaneously puts on the "lamb of god" face when dealing with other churches. He definitely seems pissed at Bishop Hilarion, man in charge of ROC foreign relations.

There was also Constantinople's "invasion" of Estonia in the 90ies.

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Oct 19, 2018

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

I read last month when Medvedev visited Belarus he suggested to Lukashenko it was time for Belarus to switch to the Russian ruble. I believe the Belarusian ruble is still tied to the American dollar.

It is tied to currency portfolio of RUB (40%), USD(30%) and EUR(30%).

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Hehe, Lukashenko is like, "welp, you guys want to lose you only ally in the west? Alas, what can we do, not our decision"

and then even dares speak belarusian
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2oQhTDuRHQ

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Grouchio posted:

Would Belarus make a good bear trap for Russia's army if they went guerilla? Or would they be overrun quickly?
I've never thought Russia to be weak since it has many nukes, but how strong is it's army anyway?

Our army is a loving joke. Conscription and we are part of their doctrine, which noone knows we we probably loving surrender immediately. Our military capability is no the the question here, the important thing is that we are an ally from hell. Russia invaded Georgia in 2008, did we as their best friend and ally recongnize those new republics? nope. When they invaded ukrane and occupied crimea, did we as obedient lackeys recognize Crimea as part of Russia? Nope again! We are the worst ally you can hope for. Also we cost a lot, Belarusians are used to a certain standard of living, you better provide or we'll make you look bad.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Because they are awful?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

As long as our tyrant draws breaths there will be no unification

E: no, I don't think Russians will invade their only ally. Poles will probasbly go nuts

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Young Freud posted:

And, I'm guessing, even after that, his sons would keep that from happening.

we will see

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I'll just post this. Its not anything particular, just our complicated relatrionship with germans. Thank loving god its over

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHwbUx7SGbs

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Eh, Belarus thing is being blown out of proportion in the news because it sounds more fun than "nothing much is happening really". Here is Lavrov saying that while initial treaty included common constitution, court and parliament, none of these things are possible now and Russia doesn't insist on them happening.

https://tass.ru/politika/6004285

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

I know the Lithuanians have been complaining about this loudly for years. What is the possibility it won't be finished or ever go into operation?

https://twitter.com/LithuaniaMFA/status/1100769542123520000

Pretty much near zero at this point. There is very little international pressure to stop it because it passed all the inspections so far including IAEA and pretty much everyone else who wanted to come inspect. Lithuanians are pissed because it is very cynically located near the border at about 1 hour drive from Vilnius.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I'd say its actually further away than say 2 years ago due to all the pr disasters and new bad blood. Lukashenko hosed up a seemingly straightforward negotiation about Russian "tax maneuver" which Russians seemed initially pretty willing to compensate but as usually happens when he goes off-script said some dumb poo poo at evrazes press-conference, than tried to tone it down, than his fragile ego got shattered when Russian media presented it as an apology. Than a televised interview with German embassador, than a sort of retcon of what he said to the German embassador. A lot of too much noise over one month of december. Frankly I'm dissapointed, and was never a fan, the only thing I felt he is good for is milk Russia for money in return for nothing and he hosed it up. Anyway GDP of Belarus is 54,4 billion USD and the price of Russian maneuver is 400 million and 0,7 % of GDP is not something that makes you consider an anschluss.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Gdp solely is not the case here. We arent thinking in the timespan of a few years but in decades. Food will become a bargaining tool and fertile lands. Russia is bemefiting so much from climate change it only makes aense to hold the assets now that will benefit greatly later. The nepan and deliya river heads are in belarus. Strangulting lithuania would be much easier with the abillity to turn off the fresh water and sea access.

heh, if we are talking crazy tom clancy poo poo, there is no russia. It was brought up before by various think-tanks that there is not much connection between between trans-urals and far asian part with Moscow. If this flow (currently to europe) is to change say to China, than sooner or later someone will ask why the gently caress do we need european part for? Why do we pay for ludicrous excesses that they consider normal lifestyle in Moscow while we are normal wholesome people.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Im a little confused on all the cotext can you expand on this or give me an article for reference

I meant gas and oil pipelines. Economically speaking Europe is ready to pay the highest price for gas, thus right now everyone is involved. Asian part with drilling and producing, european part with transporting. If you reroute it to China, European part becomes unnecessary, This is big bucks and serious people sit on this pipe, techinally speaking this raises the question of why does Siberia even needs everything to the west of Ural Mountains.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Like I said it is very Tom Clancy. What army? it is composed of conscripted 18 year olds who just want to go home. There was a scandal when it turns out some commander in the far east was just selling their kidneys to China. You are ordered into medical wing, given an injection, wake up without a kidney lol. What kind of fighting force is that. As for Russians who want to live in Russia, they want to live in different Russias. Some want the empire restored, some want communism restored, most just want roads that aren't crap. Russians were the first to experience the whole fake news technology, and also the first to be hungover and disillusioned from it.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

AceOfFlames posted:

Why the gently caress are people all over the world electing people with zero political experience? I know people hate politicians but if I have bad experiences with a doctor, I go see ANOTHER DOCTOR, not a college dropout with "ideas".

If you mean Ukraine, political class there is sort of like a club, members of which get elected, unelected, sometimes briefly in jail but only members get to play politics. So this time people just voted against the whole club because Zelenskiy is not a member.

In other news, according to Gallup 2019 Global Emotions Report, Belarusians are the least amotional people in the world :geno:

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Apr 26, 2019

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Never flying aeroflot again. A survivor said that this plane went in blazes so fast he couldn't beleve his eyes. I usually fly Aeroflot specifically because SVO is close to where I need to be in Moscow and DME is hours of their bullshit traffic, but no, never again.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Xerxes17 posted:

I'd say the big problem is that the Jet is a Sukhoi, and as I recall, the plane that crashed horribly in the winder was of the same type. As long as it's a Boeing plane you should be okay.

Eroflot is the only company who bought superjets in any significant numbers, and no I am not thrilled about say they rplacing the craft from aerobus to sukhoi at the last minute. And to the goon who said lol why not take the train from DME and not bother with traffic - gently caress you and gently caress your city. It doesn't get any better if you take a car from rail station.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Did you know that gas price for Ukraine is the lowest in the world? Their supposed enemy, gas is being traded lower than closest military ally Belarus? Is this stealth payment for Crimea?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Mike Pompeo is coming to Minsk among other places

https://twitter.com/SecPompeo/status/1211609029258203136

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Vasukhani posted:

I finally had the opportunity to watch 17 moments of spring, which I thought was both fantastic and fascinating. I know the cultural impact of the show can't be underestimated, the original broadcasts attracted about ~80 million viewers per episode, which is absolutely insane for a serialized fiction show. I wonder how much the character of Stierlitz influenced perceptions of Putin though, both being KGB agents stationed in Germany? I definitely explains how Russia can have a "KGB day," when I don't think a "spy day" would fly, even in the US.

It is incredibly boring, I doubt that anyone younger than 50 watched the show. In my case, numerous jokes about Stirlitz had bigger cultural impact than the show itself.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Ataxerxes posted:

There are crazy Finnish ones. One especially productive dude (Wettenhovi-Aspa) made up theories explaining how the ancient egyptian language was actually Finnish. There is also a modern pseudohistory/conspiracy theory about the Ancient Kings of Finland. Tldr: supposedly there was a Finnish kingdom in the Iron Age that was so big and scary that the Vatican and all other kingdoms everywhere teamed up to destroy it and supress even archeological evidence of its existence.

Haha, this is nothing, up your game, Finns. There is a Russian thinker who found evidence that spots on the sun form ancient slavic runes.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Ataxerxes posted:

Yeah, I'm not surprised at all. I think much of that bullshit stems from the word "kuningas", or king, in Finnish. You use that word for someone like Loius XIV, Henry VIII, Frederick the Great and so on, but on it also used to mean something like chieftain or village headman. So you might find a fragment in some ancient chronicle that such and such was a "kuningas" in the are that would later be called Finland. What this actually means is that there was some village that had such a chief, but the loonies take this to mean that the whole of the Nordic Countries were ruled by that dude.

We all know about ancient Finno-Korean ultrawar

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Joffrey is now apparently "the crush of all the russias"

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

poo poo is happening in Minsk and other towns to lesser extent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QK0nomjKTk

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

bedpan posted:

Incredible the allies that Lukashenko calls upon to support his regime.

See how progressive we are? We add a little tag so soldiers can create a little life together

Seriously though they would consider it a vicious insult to our brave people-beating troops

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I'm not even sure what was even the purpose of detaining Wagner mercs. If it was to scare people from going to rallies, that clearly didn't work because Tihanovskaya had a massive rally yesterday.

Maybe its KGB having to follow Lukashenko's logic. Since the concept that Lukashenko is unpopular is unthinkable than the protests must be due to external influence, if it's external influence than its KGB's job to find out who and find out how. Since there aren't really any external actors than the mrcs are the best thing they could find.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Russia enacted it's revenge by instituting passport controls at the border which caused kilometer lines while Ukraine asked to extradite 28 of the detained Wagners to them :D Interesting to see if Lukashenko and co will dig themselves deeper or what re they going to do

E: obviously election is number one priority right now but afterwards they put themselves in a stupid position with their own hands. There is no winning move. Either they release vagners to Russia and look completely stupid in front of their own population after national tv stories how they planned terrorisms. Or they double down and than its not clear why doesnt Belarus cooperate with Ukraine who consider them war criminals. If they do the latter, it will make Kremlin so furious, passport checks at the border will be nothing.

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 31, 2020

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Paladinus posted:

The patch is apparently super popular in Russia, and you can buy it basically in any tacticool equipment shop. It's weird as hell that actual mercenaries wear it. Feels like something teenagers would wear to look cool. Or adult Megadeth fans, I suppose.

I dont know if you are still in Belarus or left, but anyone with that patch who doesnt have solid killer credentials will be laughed out of the room. I literally never seen this patch on anyone ever.

Also, Paladinus might be serving his 15 days in prison for protesting

Also, Ive seen euronews little input of the situation, what a piece of poo poo footage. There was 60 000 people at the rally and they show 10 dudes in masks clapping in absolutely different area of the city

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Situation is utterly odd. My theory is that everything depends on who is in charge of every polling station. My station was chill, light jazz playing, nobody interfered with my right to take the photo of the bulletin. Yet in our telegram chat people report that the next station over the comission is vicious, they give people with white bracelet (symbol of protest) the bulletin marked with blue dot, so its easy to identify what goes into garbage, yell et you and call the cops when you try to photograph.

E: yeah, messengers barely work or don;t work at all
E2: I've seen army the in the city, on hummers aren't we sanctioned?

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Aug 9, 2020

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Paladinus posted:

Uhm, who's hosed around with post, lmao?

Yeah, I tried to ask around, but nobody seems to know the source. With all independent political polls banned by Lukashenko, people seem to just post whatever gives them hope. I definitely wouldn't trust it more than the 73% Lukashenko's official poll promises him. It's clear that Lukashenko's lost a lot of support, but wishful thinking like that can be outright harmful. Various telegram channels yesterday were spreading rumours that Lukashenko's ex-prime minister was ready to join the protests and later take part in the new government along with a bunch of generals, and none of it seems to be based on anything either.

Obviously yeah, but there is another side to this. I do not know a single person who voted Lukashenko and my uber driver said the same thing without any prompting from me. That wa s moment of puzzlement. He, bing a taxi driver gets to meet much more people than me, and they expressed all sorts of displeasure with the tyrant, he was honestly confused how is it possible to win if every single person he met hates him. So in a situation where scientific approach is forbidden (and probably because results are not pretty) than all we got is word of mouth and mine is - nobody likes him.

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 9, 2020

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I think internet starting to get cut off, mobile is down, beltelekom works

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I am trying to post a hilarious video of stupid as gently caress a situation when a chairwoman of a voting comission is climbing out of a window on a ladder with a bag of votes. To avoid independant observers who are waiting in the hallway, simply not ready for such adventerous spirit from the comission. and a cop is holding down that ladder. this is literally belarus.txt, everyone is so calm and quiet nothing out of the ordinary, just a bit of embarrasment

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Thanks. Doesn't open for me because we can't be trusted with internet

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

If it ever got brought up, I ac already tell you the resposne:
Ermoshina: Yes, so she exited her post through the window? Is it not her right as a citizen of the Republic which I sworn to protect?
Us: what did she steal in that bag
Ermoshina: We checked the bag and there was nothing illegal in there, in fact the bag was full of babies she was saving from brutal killers, the "independant" observers, russo-pilish-ukranian terrorists

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

this is so disgusting, I'd rather delete

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

If I was opposition headquarters, Id declare that we mmet at this quare than, not show up there. Than in the opposite side of the city, than again so they would reposition all night. This is what we pay them for