Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ambisagrus
Jun 27, 2008

i am only a man

Hey there! It's me, Nate! It's been a while, hasn't it? Here's something that's a redo of an LP I did six years ago something brand new for y'all.

I've got a new little LP group going, and it's called Bear and Bird! It's me, your old pal Ambisagrus, and Leigh, who you might know from her webcomic, Jailbird! We're a cute couple doing LPs that should lean more towards the relaxed side of things. Today we're gonna play... Chibi-Robo!

So, Chibi-Robo is like, one of my favorite games ever. It's a Gamecube game from 2006 developed by a team made of ex-developers from Love-de-Lic, who you might recognize for a lot of generally weird and interesting games from around this time. If you're familiar with games like Captain Rainbow, Chulip, or Lack of Love, you're on the right track.

The basic idea behind Chibi-Robo is that you're a little robot who's been bought by a family. Your job is maintenance, cleaning up around the house, that kind of thing, but you quickly notice there's a lot more going on. Between arguing parents, a quirky child and... living, talking toys, it's up to you to keep this dysfunctional family together.

So let's get started, shall we? There's a bundle of videos here all ready to go, and new ones should be going up once or twice a week. There'll also be some bonus videos of all sorts in this thread, so think of it as just your hub for all the stuff I make! Enjoy!

Table of Contents
1. Welcome Home
2. "Egg"straordinary
3. Flashback
4. A Cleansed Soul
5. Tea Time
6. Moving Up
7. The Ol' Ball and Chain
8. Prehistoric Funk
9. The Monster(?) Under The Bed
10. After School Special
11. The Truth is Out There
12. Immersion Therapy
13. Oh, Okay
14. Showdown
15. Snazzy Duds
16. True Bliss
17. True Love?
18. Heartbreak
19. The Showdown!
20. An Emotional Tour De Force
21. Irresponsible Use of Expensive Tech
22. Goodbye, Goodbye

Ambisagrus fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
Always happy to see a new LP from you! you and Leigh are cute together and Chibi-Robo is a cute game!

The music of Chibi-Robo's foot steps changing depending on the surface and the pitch increasing based on elevation is my favorite little touch.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Awesome, I saw some videos of a playthrough some months ago and really wanted to see a full LP since!

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

Wow this game is way too adorable. I strolled right past it every time back in the days of Blockbuster, soooo regretting that now

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
If I don't dig this I am holding you personally responsible.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
One of my all time favorite games. I actually just bought the Chibi Robo Amiibo last night. Thanks for doing this!

Ambisagrus
Jun 27, 2008

i am only a man
Glad to see people enjoying it! This game has always been near and dear to my heart, so it's one of my favorites to share. Here's a new video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv6U_iZdJSA

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Going to be following this cute game.

I caught some of it on stream, so I wanted to see a good run of it. :allears:

Ambisagrus
Jun 27, 2008

i am only a man
I've been out of town for a while but it's back to videos! Sorry for the long delay!

#5 - Tea Time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1WpvJ5SvII

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The sound design in this game is just the best. And cleaning is surprisingly addictive too. And yeah, Drake Redcrest is awesome. You have yet to get to my favorite line in the game from him.

AnxiousSloth
Jul 22, 2007
Red and filled with butter, just like nature intended
I really wish Nintendo would take the time and give this game a proper sequel. Another house, larger, with more vertical exploration. Not that I minded Park Patrol, and I have Ziplash but I haven't picked it up yet. It just would be nice to go back to an improved upon original formula.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

AnxiousSloth posted:

I really wish Nintendo would take the time and give this game a proper sequel. Another house, larger, with more vertical exploration. Not that I minded Park Patrol, and I have Ziplash but I haven't picked it up yet. It just would be nice to go back to an improved upon original formula.

I played Chibi-Robo back when it first came out, on like an 11-inch TV that I kept on the corner of my desk in my college dorm. IIRC I pre-ordered it, haha. I loved that game a lot. Charming character designs, great sound design, really engaging exploration of giant-sized environments... but the sequels kind of show that Nintendo isn't on the same page as me for what about that first game was so likable. I liked it for the environmental exploration and traversal puzzles, as well as its eccentric cast of characters. It seems like Nintendo mostly just likes the trash collection mechanic :shobon:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I started watching the LP and this is quite the charming game.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Is it possible to not bump into the story and just collect trash all day every day?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

HardDisk posted:

Is it possible to not bump into the story and just collect trash all day every day?

You have to at least brush lightly against the story in order to get access to new areas of the house. Other than that, I guess you could just collect trash erry day, but you'd be missing out on a fantastically elaborate "secret life of toys"-themed soap opera.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I was wondering that people might have missed the story when it came out, and liked the trash collecting well enough to want the eventual sequel just be the trash-collecting.

And that makes me kinda sad because I'm loving the story so far.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Chibi Robo keeps showing up on handhelds, so it's clear the developers still have interest in the IP. I dunno how well Zip Lash sold but I hope well enough to assure them Cheebo still has fans. :(

I wish he could get another proper adventure on the big screen. Imagine what they could do with these giant environments with the power of the Wii-U.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I wonder when the next video is coming out.

Ambisagrus
Jun 27, 2008

i am only a man
RIGHT NOW!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjW3bjrom2E

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

*Mraagvpeine gave 25 Happy Points*

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

This game just has so much heart. Jennie talking through her teddy bear is :3: and :smith: in equal measures.

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.
I Have No Mouth and I'm a Screen

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Melaneus posted:

I Have No Mouth and I'm a Screen

God drat

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ohmigosh its back
its baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack

(how did I miss the March update)

Ambisagrus
Jun 27, 2008

i am only a man
And here's another one for y'all!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_p95M9Fqgw

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I love this game's mix of weird, campy, and cute. :allears:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I think what gets me is how every inch of every area has stuff in it. This game has accomplishes making a realistic(ish) house while still making sure there will always be stuff for players to do.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.
I have super comfy memories of playing through this with my little brother on our Gamecube. I was always sad that the IP never seemed to find purchase, but it stands just fine on its own as a weird little genre-bending puzzle/adventure game.

Ambisagrus
Jun 27, 2008

i am only a man
Apparently the third game (which never came out here) got a fan translation really recently. I'm gonna play around with that and maybe do something with it once this is done... but for now, here's a new video involving my absolute faaaaaavorite side character!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SazMD_gGMjo

Also, we've been doing some Star Fox Zero videos on our youtube channel. I haven't decided if I'll make a thread for that yet! You can find it here for now though!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Chibi's glare of disdain is fantastic, but yeah, you are kind of a dick throughout the whole thing. Don't think about it too hard.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Everything about this episode was fantastic.

Dinah. :allears:

Also I made a gif of that frog being thoroughly owned.

Ambisagrus
Jun 27, 2008

i am only a man
Leigh and I went on a big trip but we're back! With new videos! Check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4LFfOulXOw

And also have you been watching the Star Fox Zero videos? Those are over here!

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Horray! You're back!

I absolutely loved playing through this game, but I think I sped through it. You are exploring it much more than I did in my playthrough.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Oh Park Patrol wasn't that bad. The biggest issue I had with it was there was just too much Park.
Also I'm surprised it took so long for someone to translate the other DS game, and how little time it took to actually do.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The problem with the platforming castle is that mistakes require backtracking, and that can cost you a lot of battery power. That's not cool.

Ambisagrus
Jun 27, 2008

i am only a man
Yeah it kinda sucks! It's a really cute scene once you know how to do it but that first time is pretty dire. BUT HEY here's a new video!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKKIqNRGj24

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
If Mort touches Funky Phil, does Thriller happen?

Ambisagrus
Jun 27, 2008

i am only a man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEatF5U5xIc

Here's the next video! Things are gettin' REAL SPOOKY.............

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I love this LP and everything it stands for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug

thecluckmeme posted:

I love this LP and everything it stands for.

Same. Although I haven't posted in here before, I have certainly been watching. This is good poo poo.

• Locked thread