Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I'm finally going to give this game a try and I am going to eat all the mushrooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I picked the "Abandoned Camp" starting scenario.

There was a "funny mushroom" right next to the shelter but it didn't do anything when I ate it. After that I made a fire by just setting fire to a tree trunk instead of using "proper" firewood. It burned for quite some time and I roasted a pike on it. When that ran out I made a javelin to go with the rough woodsman's axe I started with and took off into the boonies. Managed to catch another pike with the javelin. Then I had my first animal encounter, which was a bear. I threw my javelin at it because gently caress you bear. I missed, but it pissed off the bear so that I didn't have to chase his pansy rear end, and then I loving killed that motherfucking bear with my goddamn woodsman's axe.
It only managed to bite me once on the shoulder, so I'll probably soon die of rabies or someshit, but I don't care because I killed a bear with an axe, gently caress you game. (I had to clobber it on the head like six times even after it passed out to finish it off. loving bears, man.)

What I'm saying here is you should all try this game out.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
It turns out that skinning a bear and carving it for meat with only one hand is pretty exhausting work, because my dude passed out and slept a few hours on top of the mauled bear carcass. Things felt a bit dicey between finishing the skinning and carving, getting a big enough fire going to roast all the meat I could carve, finding fresh water to tend to my wound (made bandages out of my pants), building a shelter and getting the bear hide cured before it went bad - all with one hand - but I managed.

So, incidentally, how long does roasted meat keep? Because I have a whole bunch of roasted bear steaks and have been happily chowing them down for a few days, but I figured some of them will probably go bad before I eat them all, so I might as well trade some of them away for something actually preserved. Also gotta figure out something that's easy enough to craft, to get something to trade in for supplies and stuff. I don't wanna do anything too strenuous while I wait for my shoulder to heal up enough to use both my hands. Eventhough the image of a pantsless barbarian chopping down a tree one-handed is pretty metal.

EDIT: Unrelated to the above, but here's a bit of art:

That's Kullervo's Curse by Akseli Gallen-Kallela, depicting a scene from the Finnish national epic Kalevala. Kullervo, a slave, has just broken his precious heirloom knife on some stones baked into his bread by his master's rear end in a top hat wife. He flips the gently caress out and curses the herd of cows he was tending to, so that when the wife goes to milk them they turn into bears and kill her.

No specific reason I brought that up, I just felt it's some cool trivia that fits together with this game.

EDIT2: Seriously, look at that guy, he's loving livid.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 29, 2016

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Welp, RIP my first character. :smith:
Was heading back to camp after a successful hunting trip, loaded with reindeer meat and a pot I had traded the hide for. Ran into a lone Njerpez warrior who completely trashed me eventhough I stuck two javelins in him before closing in.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah I did, I only had like a 4% load penalty. I managed to land a couple grazing hits on him with my axe and dodged his first attacks, but then he started doing counterattacks with his shortsword which wrecked my poo poo.
I guess I should've held on to my second javelin to stab with it in melee instead of throwing it, since my spear skill was a lot higher than my axe skill.

Oh well, it was a learning experience.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

TorakFade posted:

Rip man, and it wasn't even a mushroom :smith:

Check the combat guide on the wiki: here

Njerpez are dangerous, and sometimes stuff just doesn't go your way. When fighting humans in melee I can offer a few tips:
Thanks for the tips. I'll try to be more mindful next time.

Since my run got cut so short I started another go with mostly the same settings, just tweaked my character a little bit more. Got lucky with starting equipment, which included a fine spear so now I at least have a good weapon. The starting location also had a couple extra clothing items lying around which I was able to trade in for goodies.

Early on I encountered a few wild sows in the woods, and was able to kill a sleeping one by just sneaking up on it and stabbing it with my spear. It took off but didn't get far before bleeding out.
Managed to trade some handicrafts for a carving axe, and just shortly after got a handaxe from the tutorial. I'm guessing those two are a bit redundant, but I'm definitely gonna hold on to both.

Also found a nice place for a cabin, a little cape/almost-island that's only connected to the mainland by a neck a few tiles wide. Dug a couple spiked trap pits at the neck and barely had to wait for a day for a stag to blunder into one. The cabin construction is still only two wall pieces in, but all in all my situation is pretty good for now. Only have two tutorial tasks left too, have to get an animal and then hire a companion. I expect that stag hide is gonna be a pretty good trade-in for a cow or something.

I wonder if they're ever gonna implement features to harvest more materials from animals, like bones and horns.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 1, 2016

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah I was aware that different axes/knives are better at different things, I just wasn't quite sure about how pronounced the effect is and I was wondering whether a carving axe and hand axe were pretty similar in function. Good to know they have enough differences to keep both around.

As for that butchery mod, I don't want anything too complex either, mainly I just figured some bones and horns oughta be good for something. Currently I'm trekking towards Driik in the hopes of finding some salt to buy, because it seems these Koivula yokels haven't even heard of the stuff.

Incidentally, are there any consequences in the game for murdering people if there aren't any witnesses?
I mean, I know slaughtering and cannibalizing a whole village will likely piss off the spirits, but let's say I come across a solitary vagabond in no-man's land and just shank him and take his stuff, am I gonna wake up some night to a squirrel tearing into my jugular?
Uh, asking purely hypothetically, of course. Heh. Eheh. :ninja:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Righto. Luckily I just learned a "General sacrifice" ritual, I guess that might come in handy for mooching up to the spirits if they get cross with me.

...I still kinda feel like a dick, though. I even asked for the guy's name before I stabbed him in the back.

RIP Jyri the woodsman, your stuff bought me a bag of salt.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah I kept getting the "comfortable" messages and even "You feel unity with the world" a few times earlier. Didn't get any warning messages like that afterwards, either.

However karma apparently caught up with me anyways, because I just got eaten by a pack of wolves on my way back from Driik lands. :suicide:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah the Njerpez seem to be just some sort of generic eastern raider analogy. They wear lamellar armour, which, as I understand, was common with nomadic steppe people across eastern Europe and Asia during that time period.

As for the name Njerpez, I have a feeling it might be just some sort of in-joke reference to the Swedish-speaking Finnish town of Närpes. Njerpez could be like, a joking pseudo-Russian version of that. But this is just wild conjecture from my part and might as well be complete baloney.

EDIT: Also here's a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N2UChrjby0

Be sure to turn on the video subtitles.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 2, 2016

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Amazingly I soon saw a Njerpez warrior in the distance, never seen one this far west.
The one that killed me was also just loitering around like half a mile away from a Driik village.
And the wolfpack that got me was also just barely outside Driik territory.
Conclusion: Driik is loving dangerous. :v:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah a lake-sized body of water will actually take quite some time to warm up enough to spend time in it. Take a quick refreshing dip, sure, but standing hip-deep in it for an hour is another matter.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Flinger posted:

Just speculating though. the First Winter, Sky Father and Earth Mother and the creation myth are original ideas to my knowledge
Yeah the creation story in the game is wholly different from the one in the Kalevala. The word "inehmo" is real though, an archaic form of the word "ihminen", "human".

As for other stuff in the game, Tapio the forest god is from actual Finnish mythology and I'm sure that's not the only authentic individual element.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Doesn't the in game F1 encyclopedia contain more information about the mythology?
As it is in the game, yeah, but it probably doesn't explain how much of it is actual Finnish mythology and how much is the dev's original stuff.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 7, 2016

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
There are also some unaffiliated "forester villages" scattered around in no-man's land, but they're tiny and have piss-all to trade, so yeah.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Zoe posted:

edit: I love the title screen music so much. I just start the game up now even when I can't play right away.
Well, if you like the title music I think it's a safe bet this'll tickle your fancy as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NSRyBSb62c

Anyone in the mood for some ambient-y, folky tunes give it a listen. Should fit this game like a glove, though they do use some synth sounds as well.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Mar 11, 2016

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

packetmantis posted:

I played this game some time ago and I wandered around for a while without finding anything but trees, then quit because it wasn't any fun, is it different now?
You're supposed to do stuff with the trees.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

TorakFade posted:

You know me better than I know myself. I secretly hoped I'd be able to stand before the bear rotted to skin it, so I did not butcher it.

Now I shall crawl into the semi decomposed carcass and quietly pass away. Somebody in the future will find my cradled skeleton inside a bear skeleton and a new legend of werebears shall be born.
This reminds me, it would be a cool feature if you could run into the remains of your old characters as some sort of random events/encounters, kinda like the "bones" levels in Nethack.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

zedprime posted:

NPCs will avoid traps. They are smart and also not very smart.
I once found a dead old man in a single-tile puddle between two houses in a village. It was springtime so I can only assume he had fallen through the ice and frozen/drowned.
Sadly his stuff was considered village property so I couldn't just grab it.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Foo Diddley posted:

No, it tastes fine
:golfclap:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Molybdenum posted:

Does this game have actual music or is it just in the opening and main menu? When I get into the game the music stops.
If you like the menu tune and want some background music for playing the game, give Nest a try:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NSRyBSb62c

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Well I mean at least we won't have to milk the bull anymore.

...right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

TorakFade posted:

Also replaces the terrible Finnish cosplay pics with cool drawings.
Well that's a dealbreaker right there if I ever saw one.

• Locked thread