Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

If you set the skin tone sliders right you can be really pale. Like, burning-magnesium pale. (I made sure to have precisely zero visible spoilers here, don't worry.)

As for the run, I second the comments above. I'd personally suggest either a thrusting sword or a huge standard sword, and in addition I believe that you should continue your shieldless run of things. If you're ever itching for co-op in the second half of the game, this same character (with actual gear and whatnot) should be available to assist by using that Name-engraved Ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

If you want to dual-wield, try two-handing the left-hand weapon. If something different happens then things are going correctly.

Also, uh, I think you guys may need to be more cautious. That giant armored knight who bashed you on top of a platform actually has a huge windup to his arrival before he engages the player.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Wayne posted:

Vis a vis the volume comments, might lower the sound effects level if you haven't already. Majula's background music and waves-crashing ambience are actually part of the sound level, not music; that's why it tends to be so overpowering. And on a general level, in Mog's and my LP, I've usually had to lower the game audio track a bit above (below?) and beyond auto-ducking, since it's pretty jarring to have something like "*banter* *chuckle* KA-CHUNK *banter*."
Hmm, really? Back when they were checking on things in the Sandcastle, I made a comment that the audio was overall a bit quiet. In particular my point of comparison is that while I was watching their test video on one monitor, I was also playing the exact same game - Dark Souls 2, Scholar of the First Sin edition - on a second monitor. Despite the fact that my in-game volume was at 2/10 and theirs was at 5/10, it was still easier to hear my own session than theirs.

quote:

Wow, did you shoot for making Paige from the WWE there? :allears: And yeah, the skin lightness sliders are way too exaggerated, you can basically be 50 shades of white or blackened-ember red, but any skin tone a human might actually be is in a narrow band in the middle. :v:

Edit: Starting on #3, they're currently still unlisted and not on the playlist, just a heads-up.
Not really - I'm mostly unfamiliar with professional wrestling beyond basic jargon and kayfabe. :v: I'm guessing you're referring in particular to the hair and eye colors, but in truth those were chosen just to introduce contrast because otherwise the character looks like a moon elemental or something. (I'm guessing from Wikipedia that Paige's makeup serves the same point.)

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Fish Noise posted:

I've been wondering if the controller was at all related to trouble kicking things, which is why I had asked in the previous LP, but an admittedly-cursory search of that model didn't turn up anything specific.
I believe that's more an issue with the general control scheme, considering that I've had problems kicking/leap attacking in both standard and SotFS Dark Souls 2. If Nietzschean or DrTempest have any other issues besides those combinations, though, it might do some good to open up the controller with a jeweler's screwdriver and clean things out. (Despite the name they can be purchased at hardware stores and so forth.) I've had two Logitech controllers with the occasional sticking or unresponsive button, and every time I checked inside the casing I was able to fix things. What controller are you two using, anyway?

Also, remember that Winged Spear you picked up? Try using it.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Among other things I use the anti-deadzone features in x360ce (at the recommended 80%), but given what you're saying I'll have to try things out on a friend's console.

Edit: Would fiddling around with the settings change anything? Currently all of my thumbstick axes are set to 50% sensitivity/0% deadzone/100% range.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Mar 10, 2016

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Wayne posted:

:vince: I'm glad somebody cracked that code! Last I checked, the community was still going on the conventional wisdom that every 5 AGI = 1 frame. It's a lot like how nobody believed Kepler because it was so much more sublime to believe the planets orbited in circles. :v:
The most conclusive information on i-frames has been available for over a year at this point if you check some of the wikis. But in any case the old conventional wisdom (based on testing within perhaps a month of the game's release) wasn't so much wrong as mostly imprecise. People had tested things at various multiples of 5, but hadn't bothered to check point-by-point. (105 Agility is the only multiple of 5 that also happens to be a breakpoint.) The only outright error they had was in how bad 85 Agility was for rolling - instead of the presumed 8 i-frames you only got 5.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Lprsti99 posted:

So, I might be jumping the gun a bit, but I'm worried I'll forget to say something by the time you post the episodes: Enemies in the Doors of Pharros area (and another we've yet to see) respawn infinitely, for a very specific reason.
Are you certain of that? I've exhausted the enemies in these areas before while grinding for a certain item.

Edit: Alright, apparently this was a change made in Scholar, and I'd done the grinding on the original version. It's still better to use the normal means, of course, so carry on! (Due to playstyle differences the normal means were not exactly on the table for me.)

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Apr 3, 2016

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

So, uh, you guys mentioned that a puzzle focused on lighting all the torches in an area would be cool. That's in fact a thing in Scholar's version of the Gutter, though some of the torches are in more hidden spots.

And at least these two videos have some very helpful shots on reconstructing stuff. I was surprised to see how little equipment you two had picked up, since I'm generally a packrat who will scavenge anything and everything in the game world to the point of sometimes having to drop poo poo that I can no longer hold.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I'm surprised neither of you commented on the wildly flailing whip shortly before the Skeleton Lords. Though speaking of them, their gimmick is that they and their summoned adds collectively share a health bar. Unlike the Four Kings, any overflow after killing a target won't also deplete the main health bar, so you're required to fight them legitimately instead of wandering into a Three Kings situation. But if you really want to go crazy...try killing all the Lords at once to summon their adds.

That fight was changed somewhat from the original version. In that, each add pack (sword-and-board/dual falchions/bonewheels) had four skeletons. Scholar instead changed this up to something like 10 sword-and-board/6 dual falchion/2 bonewheel, because even after being tuned downward four bonewheels will still rock your world if you're not supremely careful.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I'm guessing your invader was also new to the game? They were turtling pretty hard there instead of being aggressive when you were near death.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Holy poo poo you don't even need to jump between those rooftops in the Lost Bastille? :psyduck: I never noticed the beams.

Despite you two, well, trying, it's not necessary to make some crazy leap to the side area of the Gutter with the Heide Knight. Instead, you can just drop down from some nearby platforms after the bridge.

I guess that first gray spirit really wanted the Catarina Helm? Now that you've seen it I should mention that there is a very early opportunity to grab it, but doing so requires getting a random drop from an NPC on NG+ or higher.

The Belfry Gargoyles are likely among the worst boss fights in the game, since often you'll have at least three at once in a very cramped but featureless space. In fact their spawn triggers are based on how much damage is done to the shared health pool - two show up at the beginning, the third appears at 90%, the fourth at 70%, and the fifth at 50%. It really helps to focus your attacks on one at a time, so I was surprised to see you eventually succeed after not locking on to gauge their positions and check health bars.

Elemental buffs work differently in DS2. Basically, any elemental buff applies a flat AR increase of the appropriate damage type (generally I've heard 50?), then applies a multiplier to all elemental damage (somewhere between x1.15 and x1.3) of that type. The result is that not only can you buff nearly anything (including infused weapons), but also that you can get far more effect out of buffing infused weapons because they start with more of that element to begin with.

But while spell buffs such as to weapons don't scale off your casting stats or modifiers from casting implements, getting those stats up is still useful. In particular, most buffs that aren't pyromancies scale their duration based on a relevant casting stat. (Iron Flesh just doesn't last long, apparently.)

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I'm sure you're past this part by now, but the way I've found best to deal with the Torturers outside Undead Purgatory is to pull them one at a time with a bow. You can even get extra headshot damage if you shoot their heads! Also, well, I think you can see why I recommended boosting Adaptability on PMs.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Wayne posted:

Speaking of Int, I haven't seen the last 2 videos yet so I'm not sure if you found this out or not; but Straid is like Carhillion in that he's a jerk if you don't meet his stat requirements. The funny thing is, the Int check is so low that only the Bandit fails it! I've never actually seen that dialogue. :mmmhmm:
Straid's not being an rear end in a top hat for nothing, though. It would be cool to see him as a badass summon for the Lost Sinner or Freya, since that staff he's carrying - the Staff of Wisdom - is the most powerful one for sorceries in the game. (I forget if the LP picked it up off the Brightstone Cove Tseldora mimic, but I sure did because I'm a completionist twit.) Plus he's been petrified for a while (which he'll tell you even if he perceives you to be an idiot), so you know immediately that he's seen and done some poo poo.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I got the Black Knight Ultra Greatsword from Brightstone Cove Tseldora, since I thought you'd probably opened the side door with the Brightstone Key. The souls were basically a result of not using relevant items after a point, while you can probably guess why I had so many Wood Arrows. (At this point I was capable of one-shotting the poison moths even with an unupgraded Short Bow.) Though I'm guessing you didn't notice or at least didn't point out the real surprise? Check the straight swords for anything different.

That heavy attack on the Grand Lance is one of several that I refer to as a "smash attack". The concept is that some attacks will knock enemies down, either by flattening them or (in the case of the Grand Lance) launching them, so long as you break their poise in the same strike. They'll be temporarily invincible while getting back up, but the moment they have control is also the moment they become vulnerable again, and in any case you'll be maintaining significant control over them in the overall combat. Generally they're present on heavy weapon 2HR2s like with ultra greatswords or great hammers, but lances are among the lightest weapons that will still give you a reliable smash attack with only 35 poise damage at base. (This is the sort of reason why I like the the Stone Ring.)

As for Earthen Peak...yeah, you may be in for a shock if you don't figure out the gimmick. Generally it's not the game that teaches you about it so much as other players. And then of course there are the Manikins. I've gotten used to them by now but they're certainly unpredictable to the unfamiliar.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Ouch, that sequence of runs with Mytha made me wince. Though at least you dealt a lot of damage on the one buffed run. (I really need to try out lances at some point to make them work, because in your hands they seem to be engines of destruction when aimed properly.) There's a way to make that fight easier elsewhere in the tower, though it's obtuse enough that as with Adaptability I will generally reveal the spoiler in person regardless of how much they might otherwise care about playing blindly. At the least, keep in mind that poison is actively being pumped into the tower in both Mytha's boss chamber and the Pharros Lockstone face. How do you think it got there?

If you like I could outright tell you. Should I, or is that hint enough?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

:siren:UPDATE:siren:

DrTempest posted:

Episode 53: The Stupid Way and Episode 54: The Smart Way now up!

I swear, this had us tripped up longer than it should have. Ah, well. Enjoy!
I'd already poked around that alcove at the bottom of Earthen Peak, which is why that body against the grate had no item (an Estus Flask Shard), and why the room is missing...something. Specifically, Lucatiel is supposed to show up there on Scholar until you complete her monologue. (You can meet her in a number of locations, and in each case her monologue changes depending on how many times you've spoken to her before.) So here's what you missed:

Lucatiel of Mirrah posted:

Still on the road, are you? Sorry to have burdened you so. This is for you, by way of an apology. [Gives Ring of Steel Protection +1]

I've found my thoughts growing hazy. My memories are fading, oldest first. The curse is doing its work upon me. I am frightened…Terribly so… If everything should fade…What will be left of me…

I had an older brother. We learned to fence together. He became the most decorated swordsman in all of Mirrah. I never even compared to him. In fact, I never beat him, not once. But then, one day…he was gone, lost without a trace. Now I'm certain. That he was taken, by the curse.

If only someone would hear my tale… My brother must have come here, too. Soon, I may forget even about him…
And obviously she's not doing too well with being churned up by the bardo that is Dark Souls undeath.

But regardless, good job on figuring out how to deal with the poison water on your own! Most people either got spoiled on it or were coaxed via pantomime into lighting the windmill; I know I was. (It is technically viable to kill Mytha without bringing down the poison water, but it requires either extreme aggression with a few summoned buddies or outright immunity to poison.)

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

You actually took on the flame salamanders in melee. You brave, foolhardy souls. :stare::hf::golfclap: (Once you've picked up the Heavy Iron Key and one more thing up top you've got all the meaningful loot.) But in any case that area and the first section of the Iron Keep are made quite a bit less tricky with a bow to either wear down or pull enemies.

That invader, Lahziel, is almost certainly a PvP twink. In particular that bow can't be obtained until the end of the game, and their armor is from a DLC area. I'm guessing they ran through much of the game wearing the Agape Ring and leaned heavily on a few high stats like Adaptability to wear bosses down.

I'm a fan of the Alonne Knight set which you've seen here. Recently I decided to do a Punchwitch run, focusing exclusively on fists and fist weapons. The primary quirk is that your range is very short (and thus that backstabs are even more important), but I persevered through the run and posted a shot elsewhere in IK while wearing that armor.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Fume Knight is very much a Souls Boss in that he's really hard on a first encounter when you have no clue of his moveset, but easier once you analyze what's going on. I used to hate fighting him back when I was inexperienced (and relying on shields), but now I find him comparatively straightforward. If you're still stuck, just take some time to track every attack or combo he does, and then to consider how to deal with them.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

While the Scorchers are more dangerous when set on fire, they're nonetheless easier to provoke into self-detonation in such a state. In fact, if they're not on fire they can actually fake you out. Plus when you were wondering if something bad was going to happen upon removing the Scorching Iron Scepter...well, it already did. The Scorchers in the same room will go berserk on your rear end either if you provoke them (as seen in the video) or if you draw out the scepter while they're still not on fire (in which case they self-immolate and try to rush you). Generally my preferred method of dealing with that room is to have fun with Firestorm or some similar AoE pyromancy.

Gimbal lock posted:

The majestic greatsword's description saying that all of its previous owners were left-handed was a hint.
Also, doesn't it look familiar?
In particular, try out the 2HR2 while left-handing the sword. It's not for nothing that the Majestic Greatsword is one of my favorite weapons in the game.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

frozentreasure posted:

You guys are gonna be real pissed when you discover that it costs humanity per Darklurker attempt.

Supposedly Fume has a 93% failure rate, making him literally the hardest boss in the game.
That data point is a bit old, having been stated back when the Old Iron King DLC was released. Still, I wouldn't disagree with its fundamental tenet, that the Fume Knight is still the hardest boss in the game (excepting one gimmick boss). Funny enough, while DrTempest and Nietzschean decided to try out a greatshield to defeat him this same fight was what convinced me to let go of my shield and to instead dodge everything. All of those hits with the UGS will absolutely destroy your stamina when holding a shield (doesn't matter which, even with the best permanent stability in the game) on NG+ or higher, and even on NG they're still staggering.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

frozentreasure posted:

The Shulva knights' main hook is that they have an ungodly amount of poise. A single ultra greatsword swing ought to be enough to interrupt basically any normal enemy, but they just truck on through.
To expand on this, they can be staggered in a single 2HR2 if your weapon does at least ~55 poise damage at base. Most ultra greatswords only do 50 poise damage at base, so if you want to get around this you'll want to either move up to a great hammer or wear the Stone Ring (+30 poise damage per hit).

quote:

I wanted to record a handy dandy guide to reading Fume's attack patterns for you after the first death reel, Tempest, but my computer for some reason steadfastly refused to hit a constant frame rate when I did. So I'll just post the basics here, if I can remember them. These were for the second phase of the fight, since it seemed to be your bigger issue. If you can consistently get him to this phase you can be aware of your openings and not need to spend the time getting close to him for hits. [Decent advice]
My general feeling on the sword combos is that they're best avoided in the second phase, as otherwise you're likely to use up too much stamina or get hit. His real openings occur in circumstances where he isn't performing a combo, such as the slow sword sweep or any of his lunging attacks.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Just so you know, there's a hidden bonfire you missed somewhere inside the temple. Otherwise, be sure to take some care as to where you drop - you can absolutely platform your way through Shulva, but your speed will determine how far you go and even if you roll. Some pitfalls are actually better taken by just running off rather than leaping.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

The Cave of the Dead is another of those areas intended to be run co-op, like the Iron Passage. (That's the whole point of the various monuments lining the entrance.) Out of all of them it's probably the most tolerable one; in particular the boss at its end is drat hard but exciting nonetheless.

As for Flynn's Ring, its effect does not vary based on what weapon you're using for the most part. (There are three weapons in the game with no physical damage at all.) Instead it increases your AR based on how low your maximum equip load is, capping at +50 for <60 in that. Hence changing out your armor won't do anything, but using certain items like the Second Dragon Ring will.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I find that two things help with Elana, though they're not strictly necessary. First, a lot of aggression, since the longer the fight goes the more time she has to summon the dead. (Usually it's a bunch of human-sized skeletons, though, instead of one large guy with a big hammer.) Second, having massive dark resistance nullifies most of her damage (even the "fireballs"). As for Sinh, it's possible to avoid the durability damage if you just hit his head or neck. It's possible to bait out his lunge attack and counterattack him for a relatively safe if tepid boss battle.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

hanales posted:

I haven't watched the entire LP so I don't know if you've reached that area to get it, but the sunbro is using a twin blade class item.
It's the Red Iron Twinblade (or as the community likes to call it, the "Red Iron Winblade"), which isn't quite accessible yet but which will shortly be so.

Good to see that you've downed the Fume Knight, at least. There's still one more standard boss in the Old Iron King DLC, but you can't access them yet without some story progression in the base game. In any case, the idea with him is that the second phase is generally easier by virtue of him exclusively using his namesake slow UGS. There's actually a lore-based way to force him into it off the bat, but you haven't seen the relevant bits yet. (Just check out the Fume Knight's equipment for some hints there.) So in that phase he's got four attacks:

NGDBSS posted:

-A (relatively) quick multi-hit combo. Dodge away from this.
-A telegraphed point-blank AoE. Dodge or run away from this, including the dark fireballs that it releases after the initial burst.
-A slow fiery sweep of his sword. Learn how to dodge under this to his left, then smack him in the rear end once (or twice with a really fast weapon).
-A charging stab. Learn how to dodge towards him (effectively ducking under the sword), then smack him in the face once.
The other thing is that to encourage the last attack and to discourage the first, you generally want to maintain at least medium distance. Using this sort of strategy to just counter everything he does by rote will actually make him relatively easy; this fight is one of the few I've managed to take down without sustaining any damage. (I was elated enough there to take a screenshot, but my weapon of choice is NG+/ascetic-only.)

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Unfortunately for the two of you, while the gank squad is great the other two co-op DLC fights are bland at best. In general the community considers the co-op areas to be a blight on the DLC, and with the exception of the gank squad I can't disagree.

The Afflicted Graverobber is actually a woman - listen back to any time someone hits her.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

That Frozen Flower you picked up is actually the last DLC key, so if you want to go there then you're set.

Oh man, that Ruin Sentinel hallway is brutal if you end up fighting all of them without taking a break to replenish estus. :gibs: On the other hand, since they're now minibosses you can farm them for their armor set.

Does that cursed portrait look familiar at all to you?

The Majestic Greatsword is one of the best weapons in the game, given its moveset and the damage boost when used in the left hand. Its only real flaws are the relatively high stat requirements (not so onerous for DS2, mind) and the fact that you can't backstab left-handed. :allears:

Gower's Ring of Protection used to negate damage from behind, but got nerfed due to abuse in PvP among other things.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Most weapons have mirrored movesets depending on which hand you're holding them in, even when using two hands, except being able to backstab only in the right hand. The upside of this is that if a weapon swings from right to left when two-handed in the right hand, it will do the reverse when two-handed in the left hand, which neatly bypasses the Mirror Knight's shield. Also, despite him having perhaps three or four variations on that lightning attack the movesets are similar enough that you can just roll to the right whenever he performs it.

Tarezax posted:

You'd think it would make him hard, but oftentimes the player invaders would spawn into the battlefield before they'd properly loaded into the game, and the big obvious summoning animation meant that players + phantoms could easily gank the invader before they could move. :darksouls:

edit: I think it may also prioritize player invaders for people who bring phantoms into the fight.
I recall this sort of scenario occurring on my latest run. Either that or the invading phantom was inexperienced at PvP, since I eventually shot them down with Dark Orb while they were trying to run away. But regardless, there's an advantage on the host given the same sort of timing as with smash attacks: if they're able to act, they're able to be staggered.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Deep water is made more obvious with a torch. And while the Shrine of Anime (as it's jokingly nicknamed) has the perennial problem of being a water level in a Souls game, it's still fairly manageable so long as you liberally use a bow.* (Hint, hint. ;) ) Getting through is certainly possible without one, as you've done here, but doing so without losing a lot of resources requires either careful pulling or use of cover. Honestly, of the water levels I've played in Souls games I'd put it about even with Blighttown. In the former you have to worry about the sudden dropoffs and magic snipers, while in the latter you have to instead care about poison and poor visibility. (The Shrine of Amana is drat pretty for a level in any Souls game.)

The Demon of Song is a fairly easy boss for this late in the game. The trick is actually to bait out her attacks, and then to perform a combo before she covers her head again. Generally she won't complete her longer combos if you're already out of the way, so you can really shorten the battle by ducking out and then in at the right time. Fire, on the other hand, isn't so great against her because she's wet. ("Wet" status, which anyone can get by wading in water or by being splashed by a jar of water as in the Iron Keep, increases your fire resistance and decreases your lightning resistance. It doesn't last definitely when on dry land, but is still fairly persistent.)

*On a lark I once did a run through this level with a greatbow and lightning greatarrows as my principal weapons of choice. It's weird to manage all that stamina loss per shot, but at the same time very satisfying to knock the priestesses down so that they can't immediately retaliate.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

That burning-tree-face doesn't respond differently based on your answers, but he's another reminder that Scholar added to remind you that The Quest is not just the broad search for Vendrick and the Great Souls. Instead, there's also a personal element- how are you going to deal with the continuing death and resurrection that is the Undead Curse? Will you find samsara, and the slow purging of the bardo, sufficient? Or will you seek moksha, a oneness with everything that accompanies liberation? (The latter cause is part of the purpose of seeking the DLC crowns.)

Running with dual fist weapons is...weird. They're fast as hell but have very short range, sometimes to the point that an enemy can dodge a straight just through their posture pulling back their abdomen. And as you've noted, this speed makes the Stone Ring really good for poise-breaking weaker enemies.

No you killed Agdayne. :cry: He gave you a warning, just so you wouldn't disturb the dead, but you instead believed the trolls. Though I'm surprised he wasn't being more aggressive, considering that the sword he uses is one of the best in the game.

The Smelter Hammer has the affectionate nickname of the "chicken wing", given the obvious similarities. I recall someone else applying Lightning Blade to it to make it yellow, which made me wonder if it had been dipped in honey mustard. And despite the 70 Str requirement to use it one-handed, you can actually powerstance it if you have 99 Str. No other weapon requires nearly so much to wield, so From decided to make a cute little exception to those maniacs who wanted to go all in on a heavy weapon build.

Leydia Pyromancers will keep spawning so long as a nearby bell is ringing/you're up close and their statues are still whole. You can snipe said statues from a distance with various means, though it helps to do something like Cast Light to better aim your shots.

Speaking of Velstadt, the reason Elana can summon him is that he's dead, like Agdayne or Gravelord Nito. (Check the things you can make from his soul for this.)

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Gothsheep posted:

Oh, also fun note now that you've killed both:

Fume Knight hated Velstadt. He hated him so much that if you go into the Fume Knight fight while wearing Velstadt's armor, Fume Knight will skip his first phase and immediately go into his second.
More specifically, his helmet. Remember what I mentioned about the Fume Knight having four categories of telegraphed attacks, each with its own repeatable counter, during his second phase? This is how people get there in the first place without having to deal with the dual-wielding combos.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

The Throne Watcher and Defender have always seemed a bit odd to me, since unlike most other multi-enemy boss fights in the Souls series there's not enough variety between their attacks to separate them by moveset, and there's also no terrain to meaningfully pull them apart for a quick strike. There's no need to feel dirty about looking for cooperation against them, since they're not well-designed to begin with and you can just grab one or two distractions to help out. There's one other fight in this game that I'd recommend summoning for, but in that case it's actually a good fight further enhanced by grabbing some friends. (You'll probably know it when you see it.) And as for that room...try checking back there later.

How much would you like to know or be hinted at in terms of this game's ending? There are two possible choices (as with all previous Souls games), but one of those options requires doing a few things before engaging the final encounter.

Addamere posted:

By the way, what's the thing here at 14:15 that causes us to explode and die?
The false Crystal Lizards explode upon death. The same thing happens if you try to engage the one in lower Brightstone Cove Tseldora.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 27, 2017

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Lord_Magmar posted:

So I'm personally of the opinion that the Iron Passage is the worst of the dedicated multiplayer areas, as I actually like the one in the third dlc and the one in the first dlc is relatively easy to dash through.

Also the gimmick they're trying to get people to do is that you have one person take the low route and the other take the high route in tandem. This is the worst multiplayer gimmick because it's actually impossible to do single player, whereas the other multiplayer areas just tend to have a higher than average number of enemies.
It's not impossible, just difficult and finicky to weave around all the enemies in addition to the blasts. (That said, yes it's the worst of the dedicated multiplayer areas.)

As for Dragon Aerie...it's one of the most picturesque locations I've ever seen in a video game. And also a very good reason to bring out your bow, with the changes made in Scholar that added a number of Undead Citizens.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Remember that armor at the top of Brume Tower? You can access it now with the Ashen Mist Heart. (Though on its own, it's not a DLC item.) And as for the Dragon Shrine, there used to be a lot more Drakekeepers around to smash your head in. The one with a mace was infamous in particular because he would have such long combos that a player would inevitably trip up and have their head smashed in. Now? Not so much.

To contradict the above sentiment, there are two good things in the Iron Passage, but getting either requires fighting the boss at the end. Anything along the way can thus be treated as incidental.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Now that you have that Eye of the Priestess...try checking out the Shaded Woods again.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

This is the boss fight that I feel is made even better by grabbing summons, because that giant brawl with all the knights becomes even more wild and (Old) chaotic. But, as noted above, you really should grab more Loyce Knights to help you out, because otherwise you'll just get overwhelmed in a manner not unlike Mytha's boss fight without draining the poison. They're both effectively hard-mode versions of an existing fight; both are theoretically doable but in practice are intended to give you a hint that something's missing.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Gimbal lock posted:

I remember Sir Alonne having way more tricks up his sleeve
His long-range attacks (such as that charge) are a lot more vicious/difficult to anticipate than his close-range attacks. Normally a player new to the encounter might keep farther away (as is helpful with the Fume Knight), but DrTempest really wanted to do CQC to mitigate the short range of fist weapons which happened to notably temper the preceding issue.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

You didn't show it off all that much, but the Crypt Blacksword is one of the best weapons in the game. The only real issue is that ultra greatswords are a rather slow weapon class, but even that can be mitigated by proper timing and use of the 2HR2 smash attack to knock enemies off their feet. (I once had a NG++ run using mostly the Dragon Tooth, which is even slower, so sticking to a big weapon isn't as taxing as it sounds.)

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

The deal with either Smelter Demon's third phase is that enchanting the sword with some element doesn't add fire/magic damage to it, but rather changes the sword's damage type to that. As a result you can stack fire/magic resistance really high to almost completely ignore the second half of the fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Did you ever go back to that one door in Shrine of Amana that was previously locked? It was behind the Dragonrider-as-miniboss. If not, well, you can open it now so long as you're not hollowed. (And then you'll have an idea of how to finish that sidequest. ;) )

As far as the endings go, the "leave the throne" path isn't about embracing Dark like DS1's was. Rather, the implication is that taking the throne (insde a kiln, no less) allows for either DS1-style ending, and thus that neither of DS1's endings are ruled out. (In general, the big premise of DS2 was that both of DS1's endings were valid, and exploring the implications thereof.) But in any case you can see the other ending without proceeding to NG+; you'll just need to toss an ascetic on the first Drangleic Castle bonfire and fight through three sets of bosses again. Not the most thrilling experience, I know, given that Nashandra/Aldia aren't that hard while the Throne Watcher/Defender are tag-teaming jerks.

Or shall I just show it off in the thread as a separate video? I've got a few saves that can easily ascetic their way through the gauntlet.

That Bow of Want is one of the best two "normal" bows in the game, the other one being the Hunter's Blackbow.

tiistai posted:

Aldia is a new addition to SotFS so yes, that was it with Nashandra in the original. The DLC or completing them have nothing to do with Aldia showing up. Similarly, there was no choice but to take the throne in the original.

Also, one bit about Nashandra's motivations that you probably missed is that she's, like Nadalia, Elana and Alsanna, a reincarnated fragment of Manus. It's implied in their soul and weapon descriptions.
To expand on this, all the fragments of Manus you interacted with represent some piece of his emotions.
  • Nashandra is his desire.
  • Elana is his wrath.
  • Nadalia was his solitude.
  • Alsanna is his fear.

• Locked thread