Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

NGDBSS posted:

Also, uh, I think you guys may need to be more cautious.

Yeah, I'm watching the second video at this point, and they've managed to miss Emma and the first bonfire in the Forest. :sweatdrop: Dark Souls is a journey, guys, not a race!

Vis a vis the volume comments, might lower the sound effects level if you haven't already. Majula's background music and waves-crashing ambience are actually part of the sound level, not music; that's why it tends to be so overpowering. And on a general level, in Mog's and my LP, I've usually had to lower the game audio track a bit above (below?) and beyond auto-ducking, since it's pretty jarring to have something like "*banter* *chuckle* KA-CHUNK *banter*."

Tempest will be pleased to know that pumping STR and wielding giant weapons is just as powerful and satisfying as in 1. As far as stats go, unlike in DS1, respeccing does exist in this game, so don't stress too much over sabotaging each other's level-ups, heh.

NGDBSS posted:

If you set the skin tone sliders right you can be really pale. Like, burning-magnesium pale. (I made sure to have precisely zero visible spoilers here, don't worry.)

Wow, did you shoot for making Paige from the WWE there? :allears: And yeah, the skin lightness sliders are way too exaggerated, you can basically be 50 shades of white or blackened-ember red, but any skin tone a human might actually be is in a narrow band in the middle. :v:

Edit: Starting on #3, they're currently still unlisted and not on the playlist, just a heads-up.

Wayne fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Mar 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

NGDBSS posted:

Despite the fact that my in-game volume was at 2/10 and theirs was at 5/10, it was still easier to hear my own session than theirs.

Right, in absolute terms the video isn't that loud, but it's not balanced well; the sound effects are a bit overpowering, and Majula's ambience is sound level and not music (so if they wanted to make Majula less loud, that's how you'd do it). DS2 in general makes the SFX really loud, I guess they wanted to show off their acoustic work and the stock sound effects they paid for (Mog and I were amused to hear a certain curse-spewing "enemy's" tell pop up in Might & Magic X :v: ).

NGDBSS posted:

I'm guessing you're referring in particular to the hair and eye colors,

That and she's pretty infamously pale. The first time I heard of her actually was when one of my friends was joining an online Vampire Classic game, and she wanted a pic of an athletic woman who was still Appearance 5, and I joked "Well OK, pick a WWE diva and I'll Photoshop her skin," and it turns out I didn't need to!

tiistai posted:

I was trying to be all non-spoilery about this before but I guess the cat's out of the bag now :v:
This reminds me of something important that will trip up old Dark Souls players: regular illusory walls are activated by pressing X as if it were a door, not by hitting the wall with a weapon.

Yeah, I'm kind of torn. On one hand, Agility works really weirdly (none of the other derived stats* work the way it does), on the other hand, part of the fun of a blind run is watching the guys slowly try to puzzle out how the game actually works. I definitely agree with telling them how most of the false walls in this game work now, though, that was just mean.

* Speaking of tabletop games :v: , much like in GURPS, in DS2 only the derived stats matter for your damage and stuff like that (you know, "Lightning Bonus" and whatnot). Your base stats basically just matter for stat requirements. Agility is weird in that it only does things at certain breakpoints.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

At the "You hit for 5" confusion, that was because the Pursuer was using his sword as a thrust weapon behind his shield, "turtle-poking" or whatever you want to call it; so he could attack while blocking. You can't do it with swords like his, but you can use it with thrusting swords like rapiers as well as spears (like you could in DS1). If the damage you do is scaled below a certain defense value, you're capped at single-digit damage like 5 or 7. This is because enemies don't "use shields" the way characters do; they simply have stances that can drastically raise their defense, while you and invaders and such instead reduce the damage when you block.

tiistai posted:

Also, with those few points in adaptability your i-frames went from 5 to 9 so it was a pretty good investment. From now on it'll be 1 extra i-frame per roughly 4 agility, it varies a bit.

:vince: I'm glad somebody cracked that code! Last I checked, the community was still going on the conventional wisdom that every 5 AGI = 1 frame. It's a lot like how nobody believed Kepler because it was so much more sublime to believe the planets orbited in circles. :v:

Lprsti99 posted:

Also, regarding the first Pursuer, if you coop the ballistae in his room are really good for cheesing him if you summon coop buddies. The fun part is that they do full friendly fire, so you can and will get oneshot by your 'helpers' using this strategy :haw:

Did you know if you die after the boss does, but before the souls are awarded, you don't get the souls or Token of Fidelity? :negative: The only thing worse as a co-op phantom in the Forest is when you get summoned to help somebody who's killed the Pursuer on the dais but you don't know. You help them out, get all the way to his fog door, and... get kicked back to your world with nothing.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

DrTempest posted:

We are alive! Kinda. I've been talking with NGDBSS, who was kind enough to offer making our save file, roughly, from scratch.

Yeah, NG is good people. :shobon: Good to have you guys back too!

Just wanted to give you kudos for handling that first Bellbro. Pretty embarrassing to go full tryhard with the rapier spam and jump-attack tracking and get beaten by a newbie with a whip! For the gargoyles, they're one of the few bosses where the Bluestone Ring can actually help, since they do [comparatively :v: ] low damage per hit and you can pile on the Thrust defense to actually make a difference.

NGDBSS posted:

Elemental buffs work differently in DS2. Basically, any elemental buff applies a flat AR increase of the appropriate damage type (generally I've heard 50?), then applies a multiplier to all elemental damage (somewhere between x1.15 and x1.3) of that type.

Close, it's a multiplier (of indeed 30% or so) of the element you're buffing with (Aromatic Ooze = magic damage, say) to the base AR of the weapon. That's how the theory you mentioned got started (and stuck for over a year), but it's easy to test: casting Dark Weapon and Sunlight Blade on the Heide Lance will gave about the same damage bonus, and it'll be a lot more than, say, on a Fire-infused dagger. Short version: weapon buffs are really good and I've never not gotten my Int to at least 10 to be able to cast Magic Weapon.

Speaking of Int, I haven't seen the last 2 videos yet so I'm not sure if you found this out or not; but Straid is like Carhillion in that he's a jerk if you don't meet his stat requirements. The funny thing is, the Int check is so low that only the Bandit fails it! I've never actually seen that dialogue. :mmmhmm:

• Locked thread