Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
style / art gimmick combo you want to see next
This poll is closed.
Commodore 64 hi fi 16 colors Drawing goons drooling over anime (or muscle men) 35 20.71%
Everything in MSPaint Black and White and Undertale Characters 22 13.02%
CGA in CYMK tones and rising stars of gaming like Hololens and Star Citizen 36 21.30%
Only Purple and Waluigi and Kirby ship fiction 76 44.97%
Total: 169 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Hello chat thread! Sorry I didn't post earlier my day's been filled with Darkest Dungeon and watching lovely videos.

I am also playing League of Legends! Having a good time stomping people way worse than me.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Lurdiak posted:

I can do it.

Due to feminists, Luigi is not going to be in future mario games and will be replaced by Toadette.

I...I don't know how to feel about this :negative:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So I am playing this game, it is called Enslaved. I am a big man with no shirt and I climb things.

It is pretty good!

This just reminds me of Powerslave/Exhumed and that game was rad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa4kfFIE6WU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Joe Gillian posted:

Eddie the Head is the coolest thing metal has done for video games.

Not true
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teWqnOTiZ0c

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Stux posted:

why is this pathetic excuse for a thread stickied

Oh hey Stux.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Ahundredbux posted:

should I play super hot it seems pretty cool

It's v. good yes.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I seriously can't wait for Hyrule Warriors Legends because I am a crazyperson Dynasty Warriors fan and being able to play DW with Zelda characters sounds like the best thing imaginable.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Out of context game screencaps/cutscenes are my favourite things.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Lurdiak posted:

I miss gamequoter.

Gamequoter was a neat gimmick but he was really banal :(

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
SNES RPGs are super bad unless you enjoy boilerplate fantasy settings and samey combat systems though. The only interesting ones like Earthbound and SMT are horribly outdated at this point and the latter didn't even get a release outside of Japan.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

limaCAT posted:

You never played Chrono Trigger.

I played about a third of Chrono Trigger and had zero clue why anyone liked it as much as they did since it played almost exactly like FF6 and was still boilerplate fantasy but with a time travel gimmick.

Oh there was that trial where you get judged for doing standard RPG type things because from the outside you look like a crazy person stealing sandwiches and dragging women by their arm. That was pretty cool, too bad it went right back to gobbledygook about hyper advanced machines and airships and poo poo.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 2, 2016

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Lurdiak posted:

I'm gonna shove you into a locker.

Hey if you enjoy bland-rear end fantasy settings with alienating character dialogue feat. Active Time Battles more power to you, that's 60-100 hours of extra game time you get to use to escape the soul-crushing inevitability of death that I don't get.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

bloodychill posted:

Look at this RPG hipster that can't admit that FF4 and 6 were cool and had influential steampunk fantasy settings and FF5 was a great job class game because Final Fantasy is too mainstream, or something. Look at them and judge them!

Final Fantasy got really cool once it started using contemporaneous/near future settings.

FirstAidKite posted:

i am glad that i can enjoy snes rpgs for what they are: good games
No, sorry.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Mak0rz posted:

By this do you mean "play the English translation?" or is there another patch I'm unaware of?

I'm genuinely curious over which, if any, SNES JRPGs you consider "good" if Chrono Trigger isn't one of them :confused:

I...Don't really? That's what my point is. They're all the same exact poo poo and if you don't like one you probably won't like any.

The first few Shin Megami Tenseis are the closest I get to "liking" any RPG on the SNES and even those suffer a lot by being horribly outdated.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Yes it is super weird and hypocritical of me to enjoy a product that excises pretty much all the boring and bland parts of the games I dislike in order to innovate how strange!

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Hey once you replace bland fantasy settings and Active Time Battles suddenly SNES RPGs are good who would've thought????

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah it sure removed all the dialogue and linearity that characterizes snes JRPGs.
Lmao if "dialogue" and "linearity" is all that it takes to characterize a snes JRPG then by god Thirty Flights of Loving is my favourite SNES JRPG.

FirstAidKite posted:

tbh tho, youre entitled to your opinion but i dont really see how chrono trigger has the same setting as final fantasy 6 and other games you mentioned :shrug:

If you really can't understand why someone would say a game featuring swords, magic, steampunk style futuristic stylings and enemies like ogres and slimes is similar to final fantasy then I really don't know what to tell you.

Lurdiak posted:

The closest to a generic medieval fantasy setting RPG on the SNES is FF4, and that's kind of a point in its favor because its story is basically a classical opera.

And airships and giant robots aren't exactly generic in my book.
"These classical trappings of the genre aren't classical trappings" says Lurdiak.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

The Colonel posted:

something can take place in a pretty common setting and still be cool and fun and afaik that is what chrono trigger does

Well yeah duh any medium can transcend its limitations but that's only if the creator is actually interested in doing so and Square was so intent on hitting the same notes in every single game that they started doing weird poo poo like Parasite Eve and Xenogears and putting Final Fantasy in a ridiculous cyberpunk world just to try and avoid stagnation.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I look at a screenshot of Lufia 2 and immediately see dudes in armour, a four-person party, a magic system, stone walls and floors and giant enemy sprites. Also the main character has a shield and sword and there's a green-haired lady with a scepter. Wow so unique and interesting!

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

The Colonel posted:

are you just going to ignore anything anybody actually says about how the plot plays out so that you can snark about how the screenshots of the game look generic

i've never even played lufia 2 and don't really have any interest but i'm going to assume there are reasons people like it

Nobody said anything about how the plot plays out but I can assume based on previous experience thanks.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

VideoGames posted:

I demand you all like me!!

I like you VideoGames.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Monkey D. Lufia

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

FirstAidKite posted:

it is ok that you have different opinions but imo you should be fine with people who don't share that opinion with you, on video games

What makes you think I'm not?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It's practically a sci-fi game, just with the modern day being a kind of slightly quirkier early lat 19th/early 20th century.

Even if this was true (it isn't) switching out one tired genre setting for another doesn't exactly make a case for how special and interesting Chrono Trigger is.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Well you're wrong because the hero killing the bad guy and marrying the heroine is the halfway point.

Also what boilerplate fantasy do you look at that Goku, a cavewoman, and a robot fighting a space parasite is generic to you?

There is no Goku and also mashing together a bunch of standard genre tropes doesn't make something interesting or unique it just means I can now choose from five different clichés instead of one.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

FanaticalMilk posted:

Don't worry Lady Naga, there was a similar reaction to me disliking Super Mario 64 on release. Take pride in your opinions!!

Get away from me you freak.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

FanaticalMilk posted:

B-b-but, I thought we could be buddies.

I will never be friends with someone that has bad opinions.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

He's Goku as heck, though?

Ah yes I remember when Goku had red hair and a katana. Lmao "This Akira Toriyama character looks like another Akira Toriyama character I gotta make sure everyone knows this!!!"

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

The Colonel posted:

Akira Toriyama rules

He is very cool even though I am not a big fan of his character design.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Snak posted:

(It's supposed to be Lurdiak and Lady Naga's avatars fighting)

Ms.Naga doesn't have legs.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Earthbound is however hampered by the SNES' awful instruments and has this really washed out pastel look that I find very unappealing. The really abstract Earthbound music is really good but all the stuff that tries to be "normal" sounds poopy.

I hate criticizing Earthbound's soundtrack because it's all very well composed but the SNES has a really terrible instrument suite that makes it hard to appreciate anything.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 3, 2016

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Lurdiak posted:

And that leaves out a bunch of games I never played, that I feel belong in separate categories, or are just "pretty good". I've had a good time playing rpgs of all kinds and it's a genre I'm really passionate about. I hope everyone can enjoy at least one kind of rpg in their life.

Play some SMT.

I liked Resonance of Fate quite a bit too even though it was balls hard. Nobody really talks about it anymore and I think that's a shame.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

FirstAidKite posted:

it seemed like you were trying to prove others' opinions wrong :shrug: idk

Well yeah of course. I think my opinion is the correct opinion to have because it's my opinion. This has nothing to do with whether or not I dislike a person for having an opinion and at the end of the day if people don't agree with me I'm not going to lose my mind.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Oni is pretty cool even if it has a lot of super dated sensabilities. I wish there was a really good GITS game but it's hard to capture the feel and high concept philosophisin' in an interactive medium so the solution is usually just to turn it into a shooter. A Bioware-type RPG based on Ghost would be really cool.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I hope the new Deus Ex is really good because a lot of Human Revolution's sensibilities are really good but the piss yellow visual direction and the god awful hair models always bring it down a notch.

Also I'd rather play as a cute lady like Major than Jensen :shobon:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Lurdiak posted:

SMT is ok.

gently caress you SMT 3 is the pinnacle of gaming.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Lurdiak posted:

No, that's Crazy Taxi.

Heyheyhey

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

It's really not the same without the intro. In my mind the lyrics to the song go "HEYHEYHEY IT'S TIME TO MAKE SOME CRAAAAAZY MONEH! ARE YA READY? HERE. WE. GO!...YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH!"

This one issue of Dreamcast magazine I had had a contest to win a Crazy Taxi cabinet and I'm still salty I didn't get it. It also had the Fred Durst ad in it.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I also really dislike tactical RPGs but that's mostly because there was this huge boom of them in the mid 2000s and I got really sick of it quickly. I kinda feel like I already mentioned this but shrug.

I still like XCOM and Valkyria Chronicles though, it's mostly the ones with the grid based systems that I got exasperated with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Mak0rz posted:

How do you feel about Super Mario RPG, Naga?

Um...It's got some pretty darn good jokes, the battle system is kind of interesting. I don't think it's super amazing or anything but I think it's alright. I prefer the first two Paper Marios though,

• Locked thread