Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
style / art gimmick combo you want to see next
This poll is closed.
Commodore 64 hi fi 16 colors Drawing goons drooling over anime (or muscle men) 35 20.71%
Everything in MSPaint Black and White and Undertale Characters 22 13.02%
CGA in CYMK tones and rising stars of gaming like Hololens and Star Citizen 36 21.30%
Only Purple and Waluigi and Kirby ship fiction 76 44.97%
Total: 169 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Maybe it's just me but looking back it's hard to believe that the Gamecube is old enough for Luigi's Mansion to have had a Game Boy Color in it.

Lurdiak posted:

the next morning beat it again and got the super duper S-rank

I'm pretty sure it was harder to get the worst ranking in Luigi's Mansion than it was to get the best one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

limaCAT posted:

Yo guys, any request for tonight?

Neko Atsume only instead of cats it's guns.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Lady Naga posted:

Gamequoter was a neat gimmick but he was really banal :(

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Every time Steam makes an update regarding their smart phone authenticator I am in awe of how many people there are who can afford gaming PCs and massive game libraries yet can't afford even a cheapie smart phone.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Lady Naga posted:

I hope the new Deus Ex is really good because a lot of Human Revolution's sensibilities are really good but the piss yellow visual direction and the god awful hair models always bring it down a notch.

Also I'd rather play as a cute lady like Major than Jensen :shobon:

They yellow was cool and the fact that they left a bunch of cans of yellow paint all through the levels in the game was really funny.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

FirstAidKite posted:

get outta here ulala its a trap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYJZuTz7rTU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

corn in the bible posted:

I love adventure games but drat there are a lot of bad ones. How hard is it to make a Myst?

Gone Home is basically a smaller-scale modern version of Myst, right down to being able to get the ending in less than a minute from starting if you know exactly what to do.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEy6lfzsVvg

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Lurdiak posted:

The look

I wouldn't even give it that, having a bunch of boring geometrical shapes as characters was a pretty big letdown.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
All this talk of RPG spinoffs of platformers made me remember that at one point Capcom made A Final Fantasy X clone set in the Megaman X universe. This was just a year after they turned their actual good Megaman RPG series into a crappy side-scroller.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
FFX's battle system ruled. Having a JRPG where you actually get to use all of your party members all the time and all of them are worth using (except Kimhari, poor lion man) is something that seems like common sense but never popped up elsewhere. It's up there with Skies of Arcadia having a shared regenerating pool of energy for every party member's special attacks when it comes to mechanics that should have been used more.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Every few weeks I put another hour or two into my no leveling run of FFVIII, that's the extent of my modern relationship with JRPGs.

multijoe posted:

Alot of people in this thread really seem to hate their chosen hobby

Consuming media isn't a hobby :troll:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

limaCAT posted:

Guys, I go take a nap.
You go post new requests.

Ni No Clooney

Lady Naga posted:

Again there are people who think that is loving awesome and so hype and they represent a shockingly large base. E3 is like Donald Trump where we like to look at and laugh at how crazy and ridiculous it is but the minute they got any power you stop laughing and start worrying instead. E3 already has that power.

You're like the gaming equivalent of one of those people who was outraged that Netflix was making Adam Sandler movies and then watched it just to make fun of how bad it was and wound up being directly responsible for it being their most successful release ever.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Lizard Wizard posted:

I remember some goon or another who told the story of how a friend of theirs named everyone normally except Barret, who they named "BIG BLACK" for the sole purpose causing the message BIG BLACK LIMIT BREAK to occasionally appear in battle.

When I played Earthbound as a kid when it asked me what my favorite thing was at the beginning I said "My Pet" so the entire game my most powerful psychic attack was called "PSI My Pet α/β/γ/Ω"

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Snak posted:

I mean, I have played itbsince it came out, but I recall a lot of "walk through a door, loos control for 10 seconds forba mini cutscened. Walk down a corridors, mini cutscened to show an enemy entering the area" and this happened often enough tha me and my coop partner just put it down.

We played assloads of RE5 and it didn't really have that issue.

A Resident Evil with mini cutscenes every time you walk through a door, you say

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1crgIxdlpqs

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Their God Hand review is incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBqB5LUKh8A

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

corn in the bible posted:

beyond two souls is loving hilarious

I've never played the game but that single image has given me more entertainment than some games.

limaCAT posted:

Sorry for the bad Clooney

:swoon:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2oyweqZ7WM

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Mods, embed this in the background of this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIIs-yx01_k

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Bravely Second remains a cool and good game

I'm glad the Long Live the Queen lady was able to find better artists as time went on.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Lady Naga posted:

This game is really bad I played all of it.

I love Long Live The Queen and Magical Diary feels very much like a freshman effort. I'm glad it happened so they were able to shake out all their more cringeworthy fanfiction-level stuff before making LLtQ.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Lurdiak posted:

I honestly think it's because they cared more about their bad story than their rad gameplay.

I've been looking for an easy way to turn damage off in Planescape: torment. I don't know if I built my party wrong or if I just am not pausing to spam spells and items enough, but it's a loving chore to keep these fuckers alive. The combat in this game is so horrid, it drags down what would otherwise be perhaps the best CRPG I've played.

Cheat Engine is perfect for this. Just search for HP at All Values a few times and then lock it at full health.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
This is the website where a dude translated Dangan Ronpa for free and it became so popular the the company that made it translated it for real and put it on Steam with zero compensation for him. Also the site that translated Policenauts for free. We're not really in any position to call out people translating poo poo as a labor of love.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Unless it's the thread for a game that isn't actually out yet, then it's nothing but gushing praise and anticipation and clinging to every piece of promotional material while chasing out any naysayers.

Ravane is TVIV's Taint Reaper, please don't encourage him.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Level Slide posted:

I remember the hype thread for Watch Dogs, and how it's totally going to be a next-gen exclusive game because of the complex character animations.

I'm really looking forward to reading the No Man's Sky thread in July.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

FactsAreUseless posted:

The designers didn't understand their own mechanics. It's supposed to be about stealth, attacking through your hacking abilities, etc.

There's a side mission early on where you have to stop a car and knock someone out non-lethally. The car is in the middle of a big open suburban area with nothing to hack and no hiding places, and your target is surrounded by something like 6 guys with assault rifles.

Basically the game never let you actually use the tools it was supposed to be built around.

This is something a lot of stealth games seem to fall victim to in their first installment; Thief had bits where you had to hack at spiders with your short sword, Hitman had the jungle levels, Assassin's Creed was mostly about chasing people down to stab them and then outrunning their guards, etc.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

PantsBandit posted:

Why are so many good games hosed up by pointless crafting? I've been playing the new Dying Light DLC and it's really cool, you get a badass buggy that you can customize with flamethrowers and poo poo. But every time you want to upgrade your car you first have to go find/buy 3 wire, 5 screws or some poo poo like that. You've already got a leveling system, just gimme my cool poo poo when I unlock it! Goddamn!

Thank gently caress I'm on PC so I can just Cheat Engine myself a nice fat pile of resources whenever I get bored or hit a wall. It's made so many grindy games become tolerable.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The stuff Platinum has showed of the new Star Fox looks good but I'm concerned that they aren't ripping off enough blockbuster films and anime to live up to SF64's legacy of having an entire level dedicated to copying the big scene from Independence Day and another where you fight Gundams with dog muzzles.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Lady Naga posted:

Except that people routinely contradict themselves to fawn over Aiden (see: him roughing up an underage girl only to have her go "nah it's totally fine you were just being careful) and Aiden gets everything he wants because of his actions. Even smaller actions like stealing from complete strangers constantly aren't reprimanded he's just allowed to keep doing lovely things and reap the rewards from it.

I don't know if this argument is better or worse than having to listen to computer janitors complain that the magic cellphone hacking was unrealistic.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Lady Naga posted:

Better because discussing and analysing media and the messages it portrays is a worthwhile endeavour even if you're a pissy baby that can't handle it.

Naga, please.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Now I'm trying to think of a protagonist in an open-world GTA style game who isn't morally repugnant. I guess the dude from Red Faction: Guerilla is good since since he's fighting an unjust colonial regime but he does that by destroying infrastructure, killing natives, and being complicit in torture so idk.

Same for the guy in The Saboteur fighting the Nazis as they occupy Paris, though he is a smoker :v:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I am very skeptical of this line of thinking, because it's the exact sort that justifies censorship and dominates the more irritating elements of the political left. Moral guardians have attempted to convince us that our entertainment is the cause of our sins for decades now and it's been nonsense since the start.

There's plenty of evidence that media affects people, like Mean World Syndrome, the CSI Effect, and the entire advertising industry. It's just that most gamers never moved past 20 years ago when games were used as a scapegoat so they'll latch onto every bit of validation no matter how flimsy (actually, games improve hand-eye coordination mom) but will off-handedly reject any criticism because they didn't grow up to be an axe murderer so obviously it's beyond reproach.

The fact that a lot of gamers are also into the gently caress YEAH SCIENCE thing just makes it funnier when they have to rationalize away science that actually challenges their lifestyle and worldview.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Talk about video games in the thread for talking about videogames? Everyone knows that if you discuss games at any level beyond declaring them the best/worst ever and asking for pro strats then you may as well be the lovechild of Jack Thompson and Tipper Gore snowboarding down a mountain of censorship.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I'm a sjw.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Broseph Brostar posted:

There's still people that believe there's secret 3rd chapter of MGSV?! :wth:

The best part of that was the guy casually trespassing on a NYC office building because he thought its address was hidden in the game as a super secret ARG clue.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Dad Jokes posted:

Not to interrupt this scintillating discussion, but the new Monster Factory is a work of art: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v1v0t8Q5xg

Where did Polygon even come from I feel like one day they just popped up and started putting out good poo poo

Monster Factory is amazing, if you haven't already tracked down their other series like Griffin's Amiibo Corner and Tomodachi Survivor they're pretty fun too. Even the quick looks are usually entertaining so long as a McElroy is involved.

I don't really read or care about the site proper but it's nice to see that people are still holding a grudge over a three year old console hardware review I guess.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

More proof that playing video games makes you stupid.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Speaking of Molydeux and the McElroys, CoolGames Inc is a fun podcast about making an imaginary game based on prompts from Twitter users and mashing together random gaming buzzwords, like a game with "social media permadeath" where if you die in the game it blasts hate speech from your linked Twitter and Facebook account.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Lurdiak posted:

I am fairly certain lady naga is not a dude.

Male snakes have two penises so I bet Sir Naga would be just the chillest dude with zero insecurities or fucks to give.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Years ago when I first read The Hunger Games, before the movie adaptations happened and before The Purge wrapped the concept up in a way that let people fantasize about legal murder under the guise of class warfare, I had a moment of reflection where I thought that it would make for a great video game and then immediately hated myself for thinking that when it went against the entire point of The Hunger Games being a bad thing because they were abject cruelty presented as entertainment.

Flash forward six years and now The Culling is one of the best-selling games on Steam. :v:

• Locked thread