Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
style / art gimmick combo you want to see next
This poll is closed.
Commodore 64 hi fi 16 colors Drawing goons drooling over anime (or muscle men) 35 20.71%
Everything in MSPaint Black and White and Undertale Characters 22 13.02%
CGA in CYMK tones and rising stars of gaming like Hololens and Star Citizen 36 21.30%
Only Purple and Waluigi and Kirby ship fiction 76 44.97%
Total: 169 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Stux
Nov 17, 2006

FanaticalMilk posted:

Anyone who takes tips on how to act in real life from a god drat video game is already hosed to begin with. Watch_Dogs isn't to blame for that.

beeo boop im a robot hwo human brain function? how thoughth formed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Jay Rust posted:

Watch Dogs has bad characters and a bad story, if wanting games to not have bad characters and bad stories is censorship then I dunno

Well nobody said that, thankfully, so you can just relax there buddy.

We can all just relax. I beat Chapter 21 in fire emblem birthright finally and everybody lived so yay

oh no actually one guy died but I didn't care about him

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I liked things better when I could just play video games to have fun :(

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Broseph Brostar posted:

I can't wait for the inevitable PW4 release. There so many good characters that didn't make the cut for 3. There's no way they'll pass over a ninja character.

Koei-Tecmo's Musou-likes going the way of Platinum and doing the whole "Here's the game we know how to make, but now we added a franchise flavor to it" is something I can't argue with, the polish they have for the genre is hard to beat.

And this reminds me that playing it will probably ruin some story arcs for me, I'm not caught up on that series at all.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Request: Aiden Pearce and Nathan Drake on trial

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

Request: Aiden Pearce and Nathan Drake on trial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1SB12K8LHQ

Except with Pearce and Drake

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
tbh, I have no idea what anyone's talking about.

Stux posted:

source your quotes

https://twitter.com/PeterMolydeux/status/663772767381282818

How to develop a good video game that doesn't support societal evil.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Sleeveless posted:

Now I'm trying to think of a protagonist in an open-world GTA style game who isn't morally repugnant. I guess the dude from Red Faction: Guerilla is good since since he's fighting an unjust colonial regime but he does that by destroying infrastructure, killing natives, and being complicit in torture so idk.

Same for the guy in The Saboteur fighting the Nazis as they occupy Paris, though he is a smoker :v:

The Hulk :colbert:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Ravane posted:

tbh, I have no idea what anyone's talking about.

https://twitter.com/PeterMolydeux/status/663772767381282818

How to develop a good video game that doesn't support societal evil.

I'm glad lionhead is dead

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Well, the problem is, he's right, and what you said does correlate to what he's saying. Whether you intended it to be read that way, when multiple people are clearly reading that meaning from it, you may want to rethink how you worded your original point if you think you are being misunderstood.

You're really bad at reading and understanding context man.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Hog Inspector posted:

You're really bad at reading and understanding context man.

Do you wish to suggest an alternative interpretation?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

There's still people that believe there's secret 3rd chapter of MGSV?! :wth:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz5BH3s1zwI

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Broseph Brostar posted:

Yeah it's when you uninstall the game/ throw the disk in disgust.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lady Naga posted:

the third chapter exists in collectors edition concept art book form

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Sleeveless posted:

Now I'm trying to think of a protagonist in an open-world GTA style game who isn't morally repugnant. I guess the dude from Red Faction: Guerilla is good since since he's fighting an unjust colonial regime but he does that by destroying infrastructure, killing natives, and being complicit in torture so idk.

Same for the guy in The Saboteur fighting the Nazis as they occupy Paris, though he is a smoker :v:

The main character of Prototype is just trying to survive. Also he can kill people just by clumsily walking into them, he can't help it. Is he really evil? Or is he just a normal guy trying to live his abnormal life but errybody tryna kill him cuz he a zombie?

It's really all self-defense.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
it's real and one day it will unlock and in the end big boss will leap out of the screen and kiss us just as kojima intended

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Lady Naga posted:

So I take it you didn't like it because it has a morally reprehensible protagonist and it doesn't directly tell you he's supposed to be a bad guy?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Lady Naga posted:

Only if you're unable to accept very basic concepts like "America has a problem with support of vigilante justice and violence as a means of conflict resolution, and media wherein a crazed vigilante murders dozens of people to resolve conflicts does not help that preconception."

A supreme court justice member unironically used 24 as a justification for torture and you're over here telling me that Watch_Dogs affects people in ways we can't possibly know or understand.

watchdogs is french, actually,

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Broseph Brostar posted:

So I take it you didn't like it because it has a morally reprehensible protagonist and it doesn't directly tell you he's supposed to be a bad guy?

Actually the protag of V is one of the least reprehensible in the series, especially compared to his predecessor.

corn in the bible posted:

This means absolutely nothing.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

oui oui monsieur

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Broseph Brostar posted:

The best part of that was the guy casually trespassing on a NYC office building because he thought its address was hidden in the game as a super secret ARG clue.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

cheques out

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Lady Naga posted:

Actually the protag of V is one of the least reprehensible in the series, especially compared to his predecessor.

They're not all Solid Snake?

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Watch_dogs is Quebecois, which is somehow worse.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Joe Gillian posted:

Watch_dogs is Quebecois, which is somehow worse.

Come here and say that, you anglo piece of poo poo.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Lurdiak posted:

The Habs suck, La Partie Quebecois is a joke and I hope your province sinks into the ocean.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Wow, Molydeux predicted Undertale! On a gagne!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Motto posted:

Mostly agree, but he's a creep in that one mission where he goes off on one of his flings.

Supposedly they cut just about everything involving the romance stuff in Sleepy Dawgs. That's why you have that insane conversation with Emma Stone where they start talking about stuff that never happened.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lady Naga posted:

The Habs suck, La Partie Quebecois is a joke and I hope your province sinks into the ocean.

The patriotes shouldn't have let the women and children out of those farms they burned down.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Do you wish to suggest an alternative interpretation?

Sure: acknowledging media affects people is separate from suggesting that media should be censored by the government. One can be used to justify the other but it doesn't have to and is by no means the inevitable logical conclusion.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

Supposedly they cut just about everything involving the romance stuff in Sleepy Dawgs. That's why you have that insane conversation with Emma Stone where they start talking about stuff that never happened.

That was the right choice, the worst part of older gtas was grinding out mission after mission of tedious relationship bullshit because you wanted to keep your ammo after getting arrested

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

I ain't no goddamn Anglo

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah and you apparently cheat on the one sexy chick without actually cheating on her or something like that. I kind of like the end result of those cuts though, the relationships seem like just brief snippets and become all the more mysterious as you wonder just what the hell Wei has been up to while you aren't playing.

Hog Inspector posted:

Sure: acknowledging media affects people is separate from suggesting that media should be censored by the government. One can be used to justify the other but it doesn't have to and is by no means the inevitable logical conclusion.

Yes, but the context of this was that "Watch Dogs is a bad game because it fails to hold its main character accountable for their actions" which is a fair critique, but attached to it is the notion that media HAS to do this because "media affects people", which seems to pretty squarely suggest that media is responsible for the wrong actions of people. Otherwise, as another poster said, it's a fairly meaningless statement.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yes, but the context of this was that "Watch Dogs is a bad game because it fails to hold its main character accountable for their actions" which is a fair critique, but attached to it is the notion that media HAS to do this because "media affects people", which seems to pretty squarely suggest that media is responsible for the wrong actions of people. Otherwise, as another poster said, it's a fairly meaningless statement.

Naga never said media has to do that, they said it should, and it should be criticised if it doesn't. Pretty big difference there.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Everyone knows criticism and government sanctions are the same thing.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

John Marsden was a good man

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Hog Inspector posted:

Naga never said media has to do that, they said it should, and it should be criticised if it doesn't. Pretty big difference there.

Yeah, after I understood that this is what he meant, I stopped arguing. I feel like this statement could have been made clearer if Naga stopped posting like a thirteen year old on tumblr.

Anyways, namaste. :) Let's all move on.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Hog Inspector posted:

Um...yeah. Wait, did you just rehash this argument? We'd settled this already. I know the thread moves fast but c'mon

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Well, that's fine then. I guess I somehow took your stance as being more authoritative, i.e. media MUST uphold this social responsibility, rather than that being a personal criteria of your own.

To that end, I simply disagree. I don't think a story has any responsibility to anyone other than satisfying the desire of the author to communicate an idea, describe a situation, or just spin a yarn.

It doesn't mean the initial statement wasn't poorly phrased though, since I'm not the only one who misread its intent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
There were also like six people who understood what I meant so maybe it wasn't poorly worded and it's a "you" problem?

Ravane posted:

Yeah, after I understood that this is what he meant, I stopped arguing. I feel like this statement could have been made clearer if Naga stopped posting like a thirteen year old on tumblr.

Anyways, namaste. :) Let's all move on.
Don't be ageist.

• Locked thread