Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
style / art gimmick combo you want to see next
This poll is closed.
Commodore 64 hi fi 16 colors Drawing goons drooling over anime (or muscle men) 35 20.71%
Everything in MSPaint Black and White and Undertale Characters 22 13.02%
CGA in CYMK tones and rising stars of gaming like Hololens and Star Citizen 36 21.30%
Only Purple and Waluigi and Kirby ship fiction 76 44.97%
Total: 169 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Here's a video game thing I made using ms paint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

I liked what I played of luigi's mansion dark moon but I wish it wasn't mission-based, I'd rather just explore the mansion at my leisure and unlock new stuff as I go instead of the mansion changing what places I can go into with each new mission

I agree, but at least Dark Moon couldn't be beaten in an hour and a half.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

I don't think it is bad for a game to be short, tho luigi's mansion definitely could have been a little longer.

I felt really ripped off at the time. I thought I'd rent it to see if it was worth a buy and managed to beat it the first day, then the next morning beat it again and got the super duper S-rank. I was disgusted that a launch title had so little content.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

I'm pretty sure it was harder to get the worst ranking in Luigi's Mansion than it was to get the best one.

I got really annoyed when Wario World turned out to be just as short, shallow and easy to 100%.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

whats the best cocktail

The dan hibiki.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

code:
Dan Hibiki

3 parts unsweetened lemonade
2 parts cranberry juice
1 part 7-up
2 teaspoons of sugar
You're welcome.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I can do it.

Due to feminists, Luigi is not going to be in future mario games and will be replaced by Toadette.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Due to threats by arab extremists, splatoon will no longer feature girl squids.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Colonel posted:

i beat wild arms tonight

Wait, all I had to do to live my dream was beat wild arms?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

RIP to that nerd.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

Anybody would be good friends with Falco because he is very cool and also good at listening.

Yeah, especially since he started going to group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIpGMBkDqa4

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I miss gamequoter.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FF7 was a cool game with fun characters.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

Luigi is cheating on Daisy and that's not cool imho

It's not like they were going steady or anything.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

limaCAT posted:

The worst thing about Nintendo is that when they create gimmick character they put so much effort in it so that Waluigi not having his own videogame is a crime against humanity.

Technically, I think Camelot created Waluigi.

I had a pitch for a Waluigi game back in the day that I might convert into a game starring Not-Waluigi in the future.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Nasgate posted:

As much as mario, luigi, and wario yeah.

Which is more than toad, daisy, and peach but less than bowser and bowser jr.

I'd say Luigi has far more personality than Mario at this point.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

Haha I love the Monty Python Spanish Inquisitor.

I remember giving TJ&E a try many years ago and I just couldn't figure it out because I was a dumb kid and none of it made any sense. I watched James and Mike from Cinemassacre play it just last year or so and I finally understood why it has such a following: it's a roguelike, of all things, on the goddamn Sega Genesis. Pretty much nothing like it ever existed for home consoles before, and still kind of don't.

Also the music rocks is hip as hell.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUI0sfmfF1Y

This track released for the kickstarter gives me 100% confidence in the project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfbMdtxwOyM

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

axleblaze posted:

The Shining franchise died I the PS2 era when Sega put the "Shining" name on a bunch of terrible low effort fantasy games that had almost nothing to do with SF. It's unfortunate too because it was a series that pretty much had no bad entries. Maybe with FE becoming more of a thing, Sega will do something new. God I would kill for a translated SFIII trilogy. It'll probably never happen though.

I have a friend who thinks sega jrpgs are better than snes jrpgs and he is wrong, that is my contribution to this discussion about shining force.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lady Naga posted:

SNES RPGs are super bad unless you enjoy boilerplate fantasy settings and samey combat systems though. The only interesting ones like Earthbound and SMT are horribly outdated at this point and the latter didn't even get a release outside of Japan.

I'm gonna shove you into a locker.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lufia 1 is rough, but Lufia 2 is a great game. I love that it has the central cast just settle down with their lives after beating what they think is the final boss, then like years later the bad guys return. That's so great. I loved the puzzle dungeons where the enemies only move if you do, too.

I don't feel the need to argue in favor of Chrono Trigger, its status as Best jrpg is self-evident.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lady Naga posted:

Yes it is super weird and hypocritical of me to enjoy a product that excises pretty much all the boring and bland parts of the games I dislike in order to innovate how strange!

Yeah it sure removed all the dialogue and linearity that characterizes snes JRPGs.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The closest to a generic medieval fantasy setting RPG on the SNES is FF4, and that's kind of a point in its favor because its story is basically a classical opera.

And airships and giant robots aren't exactly generic in my book.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Grimace posted:

I got halfway through the Game Boy Color Lufia and remember it being a pretty neat game. :unsmith:

Maybe someday I'll check out the rest of it.

I like it but it did not have a very good randomly generated dungeon system, which was its selling point. Really drags it down for me.

Lufia 4 is just horrid. Apparently Natsume wanted to prove they could make a Lufia game without the Lufia team and boy did they drop the ball.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Colonel posted:

oh, so the newest harvest moon game wasn't the only time they tried that

You know the Sinistrals? Yeah, they're not in that game. And you know how Lufia has protagonists with very strong personalities instead of the empty shell a lot of them are? This one's mute. And those are just the surface issues with the story elements. There are a host of gameplay problems too. It's quite pretty but god drat does that game blow.

bloodychill posted:

Lufia is another gaming regret for me since I had friends who were super into it and I could have borrowed it on SNES but I was "trying to focus on school" at the time. Should've been less of a loving nerd.

Lufia 2 had an entirely optional side dungeon that was a 100 floor roguelike. You were reset to level 1 and went in with no gear. You could bail out and keep some of the specially marked gear every so many floors but if you died it was all over. It was super radical.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 3, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lufia 2 doesn't have random encounters in dungeons. :getin:

It still has them on the world map for some reason but eh.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I never played mother much but it's a very early JRPG so it has a lot of not knowing what the gently caress to do and it's possible to wander into high level areas while just looking around and get completely demolished.

Earthbound is one of the best games ever made.

RPGs in general are huge time sinks, even the shorter ones (Unless they're like, Space Funeral or something), so it can be daunting to dive into one without knowing if it's any fun, but I find that I've rarely regretted the hour or so it takes to figure out if I like an RPG, J or C.

Here's a short list of turn-based RPGs I would call "great", in no particular order:

Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals
Earthbound
Mother 3
Final Fantasy 4
Final Fantasy5
Final Fantasy 6
Final Fantasy 7
Fallout
Fallout 2
Live a Live
Shadowrun: Dragonfall
Shadowrun: Hong Kong
Super Mario RPG
Paper Mario
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
Undertale
Chrono Trigger
Breath of Fire 2
Pokemon: Yellow
Pokemon: Silver
Xenogears

And that leaves out a bunch of games I never played, that I feel belong in separate categories, or are just "pretty good". I've had a good time playing rpgs of all kinds and it's a genre I'm really passionate about. I hope everyone can enjoy at least one kind of rpg in their life.

program666 posted:

also holy poo poo I need to play ogre battle now

Ogre Battle is an amazing yet unforgiving series. I feel Ogre Battle 64 is the best one in the series.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lady Naga posted:

Play some SMT.

SMT is ok.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

No, that's Crazy Taxi.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I gotta believe no one out there has the PC version of crazy taxi without modding the proper soundtrack back in.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I dunno, probably curb stomping someone after a punk concert.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I wish Telltale would go back to point and click adventure games instead of Choice-Based Dramatic QTE Thingers.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yoshi buying shoes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skeezy posted:

The new Paper Mario game has a card gimmick. Instead of just being a straight up RPG.

Well, that's still a better idea than being a platformer.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I really wish I played more of the Wii Paper Mario game. I kind of liked just jumpin' on enemies and flipping perspective, but I only was like a world or two in. I stopped around a time I had to run on a giant hamster wheel and then I was like "nah" and went exploring instead.

It's got a lot of weird issues. One of the more obvious ones is inexplicably forcing you to do the hamster wheel and another thing that's basically the hamster wheel, which just felt like a giant middle finger to the players for being dumb enough to play the game.

But also the lack of an rpg mechanic really reduced the usefulness of treasures you could find, since badges no longer applied. And also, the platforming, compared to regular mario games, was kind of bad. Which is a pretty big issue for a platformer.

I dunno. I just think they should've made a proper Paper Mario game, but they seem to be really against doing that ever again.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

axleblaze posted:

Super Paper Mario was really bad. You could either look at it as an RPG with the mechanic complexity of a platformer or a platformer with the precision of an RPG and it was bad either way. The game had some charm but overall it was a worst of both worlds situation

The look, sound and writing (and getting to play as Bowser and weegee) made up for a lot of the mechanical shortfalls but yeah. If Sticker Star had been a return to form instead of horrifying, Super would be remembered as "The bad one".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slVFrmTiw5E

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

I wouldn't even give it that, having a bunch of boring geometrical shapes as characters was a pretty big letdown.

Yeah, you're right. A lot of the character designs were pretty lackluster. I did like Pixel Land or whatever though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

All this talk of RPG spinoffs of platformers made me remember that at one point Capcom made A Final Fantasy X clone set in the Megaman X universe. This was just a year after they turned their actual good Megaman RPG series into a crappy side-scroller.

Some people try to defend Command Mission from time to time and they must be legitimately insane. It's not good by JRPG standards and it's not good by Mega Man standards. The only reason you'd defend it is if you're physically incapable of disliking something that says Mega Man on it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I hate Nomura's FF games so much.

E: Wait, do I mean Toriyama? Whoever made FFX be so terrible.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

8-Bit Scholar posted:

FFX is good though.

If by good you mean so terrible I quit in disgust an hour in and never looked back.

• Locked thread