Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
style / art gimmick combo you want to see next
This poll is closed.
Commodore 64 hi fi 16 colors Drawing goons drooling over anime (or muscle men) 35 20.71%
Everything in MSPaint Black and White and Undertale Characters 22 13.02%
CGA in CYMK tones and rising stars of gaming like Hololens and Star Citizen 36 21.30%
Only Purple and Waluigi and Kirby ship fiction 76 44.97%
Total: 169 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lady Naga posted:

I...Don't really? That's what my point is. They're all the same exact poo poo and if you don't like one you probably won't like any.

Ah, yeah I get you now. A lot of them are essentially cut from the same mold, yeah. A few of them stand out as unique enough to be good, though.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Undertale fan: I hate all of the games from whence this game was inspired.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Yes it is super weird and hypocritical of me to enjoy a product that excises pretty much all the boring and bland parts of the games I dislike in order to innovate how strange!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lady Naga posted:

No, sorry.

i'm sorry you don't enjoy the same games that i enjoy, but i will still enjoy the games that i enjoy because they are enjoyable and i enjoy them

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Hey once you replace bland fantasy settings and Active Time Battles suddenly SNES RPGs are good who would've thought????

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lady Naga posted:

Yes it is super weird and hypocritical of me to enjoy a product that excises pretty much all the boring and bland parts of the games I dislike in order to innovate how strange!

Yeah it sure removed all the dialogue and linearity that characterizes snes JRPGs.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
tbh tho, youre entitled to your opinion but i dont really see how chrono trigger has the same setting as final fantasy 6 and other games you mentioned :shrug:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The closest to a generic medieval fantasy setting RPG on the SNES is FF4, and that's kind of a point in its favor because its story is basically a classical opera.

And airships and giant robots aren't exactly generic in my book.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Undertale fan: I hate all of the games from whence this game was inspired.

Stop Making Sense

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lady Naga posted:

Hey once you replace bland fantasy settings and Active Time Battles suddenly SNES RPGs are good who would've thought????

Then what about Super Mario RPG? Surely you cannot dislike that? Everyone likes SMRPG :ohdear:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah it sure removed all the dialogue and linearity that characterizes snes JRPGs.
Lmao if "dialogue" and "linearity" is all that it takes to characterize a snes JRPG then by god Thirty Flights of Loving is my favourite SNES JRPG.

FirstAidKite posted:

tbh tho, youre entitled to your opinion but i dont really see how chrono trigger has the same setting as final fantasy 6 and other games you mentioned :shrug:

If you really can't understand why someone would say a game featuring swords, magic, steampunk style futuristic stylings and enemies like ogres and slimes is similar to final fantasy then I really don't know what to tell you.

Lurdiak posted:

The closest to a generic medieval fantasy setting RPG on the SNES is FF4, and that's kind of a point in its favor because its story is basically a classical opera.

And airships and giant robots aren't exactly generic in my book.
"These classical trappings of the genre aren't classical trappings" says Lurdiak.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
something can take place in a pretty common setting and still be cool and fun and afaik that is what chrono trigger does

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

The Colonel posted:

something can take place in a pretty common setting and still be cool and fun and afaik that is what chrono trigger does

Well yeah duh any medium can transcend its limitations but that's only if the creator is actually interested in doing so and Square was so intent on hitting the same notes in every single game that they started doing weird poo poo like Parasite Eve and Xenogears and putting Final Fantasy in a ridiculous cyberpunk world just to try and avoid stagnation.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Lufia 2 and Illusion of Gaia were the best RPGs on the console and I won't ever hear otherwise

The former had some laffo-degree bugs and the latter had a seriously :psypop: translation, I wish Tomato or one of those groups would redo that so I could have a better grasp of what the gently caress just happened

But still, best SNES RPGs by a country mile

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

FirstAidKite posted:

i'm sorry you don't enjoy the same games that i enjoy, but i will still enjoy the games that i enjoy because they are enjoyable and i enjoy them

this is the Correct Position in all videogame arguments

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I look at a screenshot of Lufia 2 and immediately see dudes in armour, a four-person party, a magic system, stone walls and floors and giant enemy sprites. Also the main character has a shield and sword and there's a green-haired lady with a scepter. Wow so unique and interesting!

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I got halfway through the Game Boy Color Lufia and remember it being a pretty neat game. :unsmith:

Maybe someday I'll check out the rest of it.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Liking video games wtf? When did this forum turn into a goddamn hugbox?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

60~100 hour thing didn't become a thing until like late PS1, early PS2. I'm pretty sure I can go through CT in like ten hours.

Like Star Ocean 1 and 2 took me like 30 hours put together, but SO3 was like 90 goddamned hours.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Lady Naga posted:

I look at a screenshot of Lufia 2 and immediately see dudes in armour, a four-person party, a magic system, stone walls and floors and giant enemy sprites. Also the main character has a shield and sword and there's a green-haired lady with a scepter. Wow so unique and interesting!

are you just going to ignore anything anybody actually says about how the plot plays out so that you can snark about how the screenshots of the game look generic

i've never even played lufia 2 and don't really have any interest but i'm going to assume there are reasons people like it

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Grimace posted:

I got halfway through the Game Boy Color Lufia and remember it being a pretty neat game. :unsmith:

Maybe someday I'll check out the rest of it.

I like it but it did not have a very good randomly generated dungeon system, which was its selling point. Really drags it down for me.

Lufia 4 is just horrid. Apparently Natsume wanted to prove they could make a Lufia game without the Lufia team and boy did they drop the ball.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Lurdiak posted:

Lufia 4 is just horrid. Apparently Natsume wanted to prove they could make a Lufia game without the Lufia team and boy did they drop the ball.

oh, so the newest harvest moon game wasn't the only time they tried that

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

The Colonel posted:

are you just going to ignore anything anybody actually says about how the plot plays out so that you can snark about how the screenshots of the game look generic

i've never even played lufia 2 and don't really have any interest but i'm going to assume there are reasons people like it

Nobody said anything about how the plot plays out but I can assume based on previous experience thanks.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Broseph Brostar posted:

Liking video games wtf? When did this forum turn into a goddamn hugbox?

I demand you all like me!!

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Lufia is another gaming regret for me since I had friends who were super into it and I could have borrowed it on SNES but I was "trying to focus on school" at the time. Should've been less of a loving nerd.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

VideoGames posted:

I like you VideoGames.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

VideoGames posted:

Oh I like you. :heysexy:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Colonel posted:

oh, so the newest harvest moon game wasn't the only time they tried that

You know the Sinistrals? Yeah, they're not in that game. And you know how Lufia has protagonists with very strong personalities instead of the empty shell a lot of them are? This one's mute. And those are just the surface issues with the story elements. There are a host of gameplay problems too. It's quite pretty but god drat does that game blow.

bloodychill posted:

Lufia is another gaming regret for me since I had friends who were super into it and I could have borrowed it on SNES but I was "trying to focus on school" at the time. Should've been less of a loving nerd.

Lufia 2 had an entirely optional side dungeon that was a 100 floor roguelike. You were reset to level 1 and went in with no gear. You could bail out and keep some of the specially marked gear every so many floors but if you died it was all over. It was super radical.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 3, 2016

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

:yeah::yeah::yeah:

Thank you.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

As much as I love the game, every time I think of Lufia 2 I remember that puzzle near the end with the growing vine stalks and having to cut them down with flame arrows

That loving puzzle made me have fits as a kid I tell you what

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

limaCAT please draw Maxim going :tizzy: at a burning arrow and a smug vinestalk tyvm

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Monkey D. Lufia

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

games.png

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
My stomach has hurt all day guys and I am grouchy and irritable and I want to eat this banana but I know it will only make it worse.

So stop fighting in the video game chat guys. This should be the place for the best tips and the coolest tricks to be discussed and celebrated with joy in our hearts.

So I'm going to play Enslaved: Odyssey West and kill more robots in this janky rear end gorgeous game and everyone is going to get along in the meantime!!!

P.S. I can't beat Earthbound, I keep dying in the fire cave after the dinosaurs

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lady Naga posted:

If you really can't understand why someone would say a game featuring swords, magic, steampunk style futuristic stylings and enemies like ogres and slimes is similar to final fantasy then I really don't know what to tell you.

sure, there are similarities, but i dont think they are the same bland environments because i think they both do different things with their settings.

it is ok that you have different opinions but imo you should be fine with people who don't share that opinion with you, on video games

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

8-Bit Scholar posted:

My stomach has hurt all day guys and I am grouchy and irritable and I want to eat this banana but I know it will only make it worse.

get well soon, Friend 8-Bit Scholar

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

FirstAidKite posted:

it is ok that you have different opinions but imo you should be fine with people who don't share that opinion with you, on video games

What makes you think I'm not?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lady Naga posted:

The only thing remotely steampunk about Chrono Trigger is the Dragon Tank and I posit that the steam it expelled was because it is a dragon and thus filled with fire, which powers it.

It's practically a sci-fi game, just with the modern day being a kind of slightly quirkier early lat 19th/early 20th century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It's practically a sci-fi game, just with the modern day being a kind of slightly quirkier early lat 19th/early 20th century.

Even if this was true (it isn't) switching out one tired genre setting for another doesn't exactly make a case for how special and interesting Chrono Trigger is.

• Locked thread