Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AgentF
May 11, 2009

Thanks for the links. Not sure if this is the award or not. She's in the hospital now and recovering so I'll try to hold back with questions until she's on her feet again.

BCR posted:

First
1) Is she in her union? Who is her union?
2) You need a copy of her contract and the award she is under. Can you get a copy
3) Is she working for an agency or directly as a casual for the employer?

ACTU helpline 1300 486 466
Fairwork helpline 13 13 94 (up to 30 min wait) heres their checklist

:siren::siren:I am not a lawyer:siren::siren: You would need to speak to a lawyer or get legal advice preferably from a union because its cheaper

Gut says, if you can show they're not being reasonable you're mum will be ok but its not going to be easy and you'll need to lawyer up. You will need legal support because they're going to go hard on the leaning on other casuals "want to keep your job, keep your mouth shut"

Contract workers are hosed, but a case can be made if they've been working at the same location for the same employer for multiple years and resigning contracts with the same employer.

Thanks for the detailed response. The union is hard at work trying to do a few things at that workplace so are hopefully on the case of trying to extract that promised permanency (it was promised for a few casuals so she's not alone in this). I'm not sure which union it is but I'll try to find out. If they're solidly on the case then it seems like something I can't really help by involving myself in, since I'm assuming that they're the experts in this kind of thing and I'm only the fiance of a relative of one of the employees involved.

The employer has been taking advantage of her for a while now. She's owed thousands in unpaid wages due to HR stuff-ups and is also rostered heavily for holidays; she hasn't had a Christmas or Mother's Day free for years now despite asking well in advance. Hopefully a precedence of screwing her about will count against them in front of an ombudsman. I don't know how much lawyers cost and this woman already seriously doesn't have a lot of money and can be kinda proud at times so might not accept me paying for a lawyer for her.

Edit: dodgy employer snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Kat Delacour posted:

I can make some great guesses why they're doing it (UK example of people setting up tax havens at another address, Americanisation, small government, push to defund & privatise) but I can't think of any real benefits to the individual which is where you'd think the battle will be waged in the build up to an election. It's going to lead to dumb poo poo like domestic medical tourism, "plus tax" pricing, probably confusing workplace agreements because calculations on take home pay and the location of a head office will end up linked and inevitably gently caress over the blue collar white collar base.
I'm not a tax or politics expert but, it seems to me it's just an attempt to pass the blame on raising taxes to the states. The LNP gets to claim they cut taxes while forcing the states to be the ones to either keep not having enough money or eat political poo poo for raising taxes. It's the most cowardly thing he could do and he passing it off as some visionary idea. Then there's the stupidity and downright deceitfulness of claiming to help increase the states income by cutting their income and putting in a system that you know will be difficult for them to raise additional revenue from.

Then there's the issues of having a bunch of states with different tax rates. Cause what we really need is a more complicated tax system.

Basically, if the Greens and Labor aren't smart enough to figure out how to destroy this then we are all doomed.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

Recoome posted:

he has no concept that in order to actually go further in my field (psychology), I have to work my rear end off and actually gain the right type of experience to I can apply to a Ph.D program.

Sorry to dug up a post a few pages old but what uni requires you to have work experience for a PhD program in psychology? I haven't heard of that, though I'm not familiar with every PhD program in the country... I've worked in a few psychology graduate programs and I've never seen this sort of requirement.

Have you explored a masters degree instead if delivering therapy is your goal? The cut-offs tend to be much lower, I don't think they require work experience either, and allow you to apply for general registration immediately upon graduation and offer a pathway to join a college within 2 years... Unless you plan to do research or find a way to seek registration in North America, a PhD doesn't advantage you much more than a masters degree does. Mind you, if you think you might want to do a PhD someday, it's better to do it as part of an integrated clinical degree rather than finishing a masters and then doing a separate PhD... I thought I'd be satisfied with masters but I went back to uni to do a PhD which required a whole new research project and a lot of wasted time.

You're from Queensland, yes? If you have a 4 year degree in psychology and you're looking for a therapist job in Brisbane or the Gold Coast, send me a PM; I'm a psychological supervisor and I'm familiar with a few positions that are hiring, either if you're formally a provisional psych or if you're just looking for a psychology-like role to pad a resume for an application. Really, though, if you're school is telling you that you need work experience to apply for a clinical PhD consider applying to a different uni? Griffith and UQ don't have that sort of requirement, or at least they didn't when I was more involved in admissions a few years ago...

E: if anything, for a PhD program, research experience (paid or unpaid), and especially publication would fulfil admission criteria better than any work experience. A lot of research positions aren't advertised but if you ask around, that may be a more efficient route to getting accepted than accepting volunteer roles as a counsellor or provisional psych; I know Griffith Uni just concluded a massive project testing robotic companion animals with elderly dementia patients and they had a lot of difficulty finding enough research assistants to fill all roles.

Serrath fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Mar 30, 2016

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Periphery posted:

Then there's the issues of having a bunch of states with different tax rates. Cause what we really need is a more complicated tax system.

As an American, I can confirm that this is a gigantic loving pain in the rear end.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
You guys should hear about this simple fix to a complicated tax system.

I call it the 9-9-9 plan.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
because if there are any politicians I trust more than federal politicians it's state politicians

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Anidav posted:

How about a 2 percent tax instead?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the biggest issue with this state-tax thing the fact that it jeopardises horizontal fiscal equity or whatever they call it? Like, right now, all the states get funding based on need, so poorer states like SA and Tassie get more money, so every Australian has equal access to healthcare and education no matter where they live. Whereas this would seem to drag us towards an American system where wealthy districts get wealthier and poorer districts get poorer.

A country as small and homogeneous as Australia shouldn't even have states in the first loving place.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Serrath posted:

Sorry to dug up a post a few pages old but what uni requires you to have work experience for a PhD program in psychology? I haven't heard of that, though I'm not familiar with every PhD program in the country... I've worked in a few psychology graduate programs and I've never seen this sort of requirement.

Have you explored a masters degree instead if delivering therapy is your goal? The cut-offs tend to be much lower, I don't think they require work experience either, and allow you to apply for general registration immediately upon graduation and offer a pathway to join a college within 2 years... Unless you plan to do research or find a way to seek registration in North America, a PhD doesn't advantage you much more than a masters degree does. Mind you, if you think you might want to do a PhD someday, it's better to do it as part of an integrated clinical degree rather than finishing a masters and then doing a separate PhD... I thought I'd be satisfied with masters but I went back to uni to do a PhD which required a whole new research project and a lot of wasted time.

You're from Queensland, yes? If you have a 4 year degree in psychology and you're looking for a therapist job in Brisbane or the Gold Coast, send me a PM; I'm a psychological supervisor and I'm familiar with a few positions that are hiring, either if you're formally a provisional psych or if you're just looking for a psychology-like role to pad a resume for an application. Really, though, if you're school is telling you that you need work experience to apply for a clinical PhD consider applying to a different uni? Griffith and UQ don't have that sort of requirement, or at least they didn't when I was more involved in admissions a few years ago...

E: if anything, for a PhD program, research experience (paid or unpaid), and especially publication would fulfil admission criteria better than any work experience. A lot of research positions aren't advertised but if you ask around, that may be a more efficient route to getting accepted than accepting volunteer roles as a counsellor or provisional psych; I know Griffith Uni just concluded a massive project testing robotic companion animals with elderly dementia patients and they had a lot of difficulty finding enough research assistants to fill all roles.

Hey I'll PM you because that'll be cooler than like sperging identifiable information over the internet.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
joke government

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

freebooter posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the biggest issue with this state-tax thing the fact that it jeopardises horizontal fiscal equity or whatever they call it? Like, right now, all the states get funding based on need, so poorer states like SA and Tassie get more money, so every Australian has equal access to healthcare and education no matter where they live. Whereas this would seem to drag us towards an American system where wealthy districts get wealthier and poorer districts get poorer.

A country as small and homogeneous as Australia shouldn't even have states in the first loving place.

If we don't have states who will the federal government have to blame for its own failings? :ohdear:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
How about a tax on those bloody lebos?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I just love how what Mal thinks will fix the federal system is more tax officers.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

So is this big?
http://www.theage.com.au/interactive/2016/the-bribe-factory/day-1/the-company-that-bribed-the-world.html

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Anidav posted:

not everything is anime, dave

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
An Indigenous historian has said the attack on the new set of University of New South Wales (UNSW) Indigenous guidelines is proof that Australia has a long way to go in education about the past.
Key points:

UNSW guidelines suggest references to Australia being "settled" should instead be "invaded"
University says guidelines are to help students avoid unintentionally offending Indigenous peers
Indigenous historian Jackie Huggins says the guidelines are entirely appropriate

Commercial radio hosts and the Daily Telegraph criticised the new guidelines drawn up by the university, calling them "rubbish" and claiming that UNSW was "rewriting the history books to state Cook 'invaded' Australia."

But UNSW has said that its Indigenous terminology guide was designed to help staff and students describe Indigenous Australian people, history and culture.

"The university rejects any notion that a resource for teachers on Indigenous terminology dictates the use of language or that it is designed to be politically correct … The guide does not mandate what language can be used," a statement released by the university said.

"Rather, it uses a more appropriate/less appropriate format, providing a range of examples. This is an important distinction to make."

It suggests that references to Australia being "settled" should instead be "invaded" and that it is offensive to say Captain Cook discovered Australia.

Indigenous historian Jackie Huggins said the guidelines were entirely appropriate.

"We know this country has a colonial history and that certainly has been characterised by a devastating land dispossession, violence and unapologetic racism as well," Ms Huggins said.

"We cannot deny our history. It's a history that's never fully been taught to us in our country.

"I don't find it surprising at all that there is this incredible idea that it's unfair … for far too long it's been very unfair on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in terms of denying and having our history not even talked about at all, it shows how far we have to go in educating our country and coming to terms with reconciliation and the debate that needs to happen."
'Indigenous voices missing from debate'

Allan Clarke, Indigenous affairs reporter for BuzzFeed Australia, said the level of outrage that had come from the guidelines was "completely over the top".

"The furore that erupted around this is kind of outrageous when you think that most of this debate is missing Indigenous voices," Clarke said.

"I think it's important when discussing something, whatever you call it, settlement or invasion, you actually talk with Aboriginal Torres Strait Islanders about how they perceive that time."

Professor David Dixon, the dean of the UNSW's law school, said the guidelines were listed only as part of some students' reading material.

He said the guidelines were commonplace across tertiary institutions and many public sector organisations.

"It's a guide to students about what is regarded as being appropriate and less appropriate ways of speaking, it's not required reading or mandatory reading, it's provided as a resource for students," Professor Dixon said.

"The reason that we do this is to help our students because of a number of incidents in the past where non-Aboriginal students have quite unintentionally have said things in class discussions which have caused offense to their Aboriginal peers.

"So providing something which is just a way [for people to] find out what is the best way to say things, which will not cause offence to people, is a really responsible educational approach."

In a statement, Federal Education Minister Simon Birmingham said: "As has always been the case in Australia, universities enjoy autonomy when it comes to academic concepts and what they teach their students.

"Universities should be places where ideas are contested and open to debate, nonetheless, with autonomy comes a responsibility to keep in touch with community expectations and provide an accurate reflection of our history."

qq harder fascists.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

I can't be the only one cynical enough to think that was happening anyway. It's like Snowden all over again.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.

freebooter posted:

I think you are referring to the GST revenue which is set by the grants commission based on need. It was very unpopular with WA for a while, because it went down to something like 17c out of every dollar came back from Canberra.

GST replaced state sales tax, which as a tax on consumption, was regressive.

Income tax is progressive, so actually increasing the income tax rather than GST hits the rich harder than the poor.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Starshark posted:

Commercial radio hosts and the Daily Telegraph criticised the new guidelines drawn up by the university, calling them "rubbish" and claiming that UNSW was "rewriting the history books to state Cook 'invaded' Australia."

Nothing makes racists angrier than calling them out on their racism.

Those university people should be glad they're not AFL footballers.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Oh, and it was Kyle Sandilands, because of course it was.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Negligent posted:

I think you are referring to the GST revenue which is set by the grants commission based on need. It was very unpopular with WA for a while, because it went down to something like 17c out of every dollar came back from Canberra.

GST replaced state sales tax, which as a tax on consumption, was regressive.

Income tax is progressive, so actually increasing the income tax rather than GST hits the rich harder than the poor.

Yeah that's what I meant. Income tax is all federal though right? What do states draw revenue from?

I only read up on the grants commission/GST thing because I'm from WA and Barnett kept having a royal whinge about GST. It's very funny when you find out that the grants commission was set up for WA's benefit in the first place and WA has been a beneficiary for the vast majority of financial years ever since. Then all of a sudden they have a mining boom and start shrieking about how they're "propping up" the rest of the country.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Cook didn't discover or invade Australia.

freebooter posted:

Yeah that's what I meant. Income tax is all federal though right? What do states draw revenue from?
For NSW (PDF):

NSW's budget is about 60B / year at the moment.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 30, 2016

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Starshark posted:

UNSW guidelines suggest references to Australia being "settled" should instead be "invaded"
University says guidelines are to help students avoid unintentionally offending Indigenous peers
Indigenous historian Jackie Huggins says the guidelines are entirely appropriate
qq harder fascists.

I have no problem with calling it an Invasion. It was. We Won. Australian Territory is the spoils of war, exactly as lands have changed hands since time began.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

When Indonesia someone invades us, it is fair to call it an invasion, because

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

state taxes are lovely

they come from a narrow base of duties on transfers (houses, vehicles), car rego, payroll tax (which is based on number of employees and being over a certain $ amount which varies by state), land tax

transfer duty is especially poo poo from an economic standpoint, because it actively impedes labour mobility i.e. being able to move to where your work is

the states have no other way to get money so they keep imposing these arcane taxes. a straight share of income tax would be better

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

freebooter posted:

States don't have much, mostly licensing, gambling and whatever else. Its roughly 30% with 70% coming from the federal government.

States can tax, but the Commonwealth came over the top legislating to be paid first and the High Court has upheld it twice.

I'd be surprised if they gave an inch to the states, the Commonwealth likes controlling the purse strings.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

the way that Turnbull is going to get the premiers to agree to make potentially politically damaging income tax raises is by giving them more control over the money than they have currently. the commonwealth can make s96 grants and specific purpose payments that keep them in control. give the states a small bucket of their own money to spend but they wear the unpopularity of filling it in the first place

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
I'm going to be home late tomorrow, so just to make sure no-one snipes April from me, I've thrown it up a day early. It's my first time. Be gentle.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

LibertyCat posted:

I'm going to be home late tomorrow, so just to make sure no-one snipes April from me, I've thrown it up a day early. It's my first time. Be gentle.

Looks alright

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Seems pretty good, sorry I doubted you.

Would be good to have a summary or what happened in march somewhere.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
cheers, will edit it in tomorrow night.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Zenithe posted:

I can't be the only one cynical enough to think that was happening anyway. It's like Snowden all over again.

Everyone knows it's happening, but names and evidence is a pretty big thing. In Australia, and the other western countries which the companies implicated are based I would be very surprised if there wasn't investigations, and charges laid if there's significant evidence. Add to that things like possible civil charges by other oil companies that lost out on contracts and opposition parties in developing countries where a lot of the briber apparently took place using it for ammunition against the ruling parties I'd expect to hear a lot about this in the coming month. I'm sure there will be a few investigations/charges dropped after a while and what not but not all. This scandal touches a lot of countries, and and there's a lot of regulators/judicial systems out there that would love a nice very public corruption scandal they can jump on to show they're doing there job.

And sure stories like this won't suddenly stop the incredible amount of corruption that's going on world wide, or even slow it down a noticeable degree, but every investigation that uncovers some helps, every charge helps, every fine, every time some one is actually sent to jail for it, does help. Sure only a tiny, tiny amount, but you got to start somewhere.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Jumpingmanjim posted:

How about a tax on those bloody lebos?

I wish they'd tax your posting.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

El Scotch posted:

I wish they'd tax your posting.

N O I C E

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Nibbles! posted:

States don't have much, mostly licensing, gambling and whatever else. Its roughly 30% with 70% coming from the federal government.

States can tax, but the Commonwealth came over the top legislating to be paid first and the High Court has upheld it twice.

I'd be surprised if they gave an inch to the states, the Commonwealth likes controlling the purse strings.

Ont he other hand it gives them the ability to handball responsibility for unpopular tax increases to the states. It must be pretty obvious even to the LNP that people are going to be unhappy with the quality of health and education under current funding levels, and it must be clear that unless they get more revenue from somewhere they won't have the money to pay for it.

State governments won't want to introduce new taxes so the LNP achieves their goal of loving the poor but gets to blame it on state governments.

It would be pretty cool though if the state labor governments turned around and said "fine" and introduced a 90% tax on very high income or something in response and all the rich people fled to NSW and made it even worse.

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007

Starshark posted:

An Indigenous historian has said the attack on the new set of University of New South Wales (UNSW) Indigenous guidelines is proof that Australia has a long way to go in education about the past.
Key points:

You might as well stop any reading of the article at this point, because if anyone bothers to look at the guidelines, you will see that they say nothing of the sort. They suggest you say "Cook was the first British to map the east cost of New Holland", and that Australia was later invaded rather than settled. It's a fundamental misreading of the document to put the two together.

Of course, that's exactly what I'd expect from that paper, their readers and Kyle bloody Sandilands.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I would have thought the settlement and the invasion of Australia referred to different things.

quote:

https://teaching.unsw.edu.au/indigenous-terminology
Australia was not settled peacefully, it was invaded, occupied and colonised. Describing the arrival of the Europeans as a "settlement" attempts to view Australian history from the shores of England rather than the shores of Australia.

I can see their point, but I never would have thought the word settlement implied a peaceful process. I guess my main exposure to the word is through reading news about the Israeli settlers, who are anything but peaceful.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 30, 2016

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

open24hours posted:

I can see their point, but I never would have thought the word settlement implied a peaceful process. I guess my main exposure to the word is through reading news about the Israeli settlers, who are anything but peaceful.

Well that's from your point of view. But compare the word settlement to invasion straight up and you know which one sounds nicer for white guilt.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Right, but you invade a place and then you settle (or colonise) it. They're related, but not the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

open24hours posted:

Right, but you invade a place and then you settle (or colonise) it. They're related, but not the same thing.

The point is no one mentions the invasion. They just mention the settlement, implying peaceful colonisation or terra nullius as Tony Abbott would have you believe.

• Locked thread