Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
I'm glad we have an electoral system that largely prevents egomaniac individuals, lunatic billionaires, Joh Bjelke Petersen etc from actually becoming the head of government

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Does Australia even have an extradition treaty with the Vatican state because George Pell should be brought home to face charges.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

An airforce can be useful for stuff other than an outright shooting war. You can fly a plane over an artificial island in the south China sea and do other stuff that doesn't involve actually dropping a bomb in anger.

If it's come to actual war, we're already hosed, the international geopolitical system has collapsed and it's all gone mad Max.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Australia's airstrike capability exists mainly so that when America bombs some brown people they can say it's OK because other white people are doing it too.

Like that's an oversimplification obviously but RAAF pilots are already flying American drones in Syria. Just a matter of time using Reapers against refugee boats becomes a cool and good policy in the eyes of Australians.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Whether Tony Abbott had an affair with his staffer is a fitting topic for International women's day.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Mein Kampf isn't even banned in Germany anymore

Ban books = literally worse than Hitler

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Paying Cambodia $55m to take two refugees is a good deal.

For Cambodia.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Gorilla Salad posted:

For the record, this is what a $55million yacht looks like:

yeah but there's two of them. so their yachts have to be $27.5 million each.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

MonoAus posted:

What about improving the system so people actually want to go to their appointments?

When I make a doctor's appointment I know I'm looking forward to a lollipop. Good system imo

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Pickled Tink posted:

I am required to go in twice per week to search for work for an hour. The consequences of this are plain:

1: Because of the bus timetables, this ends up eating three hours out of the middle of my day, making scheduling anything else at a reasonable hour on those days pretty much impossible.
2: It costs me money to attend these appointments, even with concession fares.
3: I am forced to use lovely computers to do my job search, and don't have access to resources I have at home.

It needs to be said that the original requirement was for three "appointments" per week for the same time. I successfully convinced them that was stupid and managed to wriggle it down to two.

All in all, it serves to be a waste of time and money for me. It accomplishes nothing, in fact it does worse than nothing because I have had to cut back on my job search outside of those hours just so that I have something to do while I am there because, as you can imagine, the available part time job market in things I can actually do is not very large.

Sorry you had to take time out of your busy schedule of posting cartoons on the internet to attend a free service that's trying to help you

jfc

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Gets payments from the government, is annoyed he had to leave his house twice a week

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Yeah, there's no reason to disturb people.

Getting a dude out of his house twice a week to interact with a human is silly.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Ket posted:

Going to JSA appointments would be all fine and dandy if they actually accomplished anything for you, I've been on Centrelink twice and both times the JSA have been utterly useless at helping me find a job.

Each time I would show up to the appointment, get my name ticked off and they would ask for my form of applications done, and then they would make another appointment and that would basically be it.

Absolutely nothing they did was geared to helping me find a job, it was just so they could tick off that they'd had an appointment with me and that was it.

I'm lucky in that I'm white and don't look like a drug addict so they were inclined to just leave me alone and not make the situation worse for me.

But being unemployed for a long period of time does gently caress with your self esteem hardcore and when you see these people viewing you as just something to tick off a list. You begin to wonder whether you'll ever find work again or whether you'll be a burden on your family for the rest of your life.

So gently caress JSAs, they should be abolished or replaced with a government run organisation that trains people to help you find work at the very least.

Do you think there might be any reason why getting people such as the long term unemployed to regularly get dressed, arrange transport, and report to a human who will, as you say, vaguely care if they look drug addled, might be a reasonable thing to do

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

quote:

How many more people are currently doing utterly useless things with their lives, just to keep up an insecure subsistence, and dream of being able to work for something more meaningful, even if they had to just be a volunteer?
can i have an example of what is an utterly useless thing and what a more meaningful thing would be

because i suspect you mean something like commodities trader who secretly wishes she was helping teach kids in africa or something but that doesnt fit because she could cash in her stock options and do that

what i think you're actually referring to is people who are working retail, hospitality etc for subsistence. so every janitor, petrol station attendant etc is just wasting their life right?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

all those waiters in LA could actually be stars if only there was a basic income

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

except there would be no movies tv or theatre because there is no one to sell you popcorn, clean up after you etc because everyone has moved on from those worthless jobs

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Bifauxnen posted:

By "utterly useless" jobs I'm thinking of things more like JSA's. Jobs that actively waste time and effort creating busywork.

Jobs like janitors and hospitality are far more meaningful in comparison. And those who do them deserve a stable existence.

the guy right above me parsed it in the exact same way as i did.

quote:

Despite being unemployed, this is pretty much how I feel right now. I know I'll probably have to settle for a lovely job, and that lovely job will probably mean I can no longer do the volunteer work I'm doing. Ideally, I'd love to do paid work at a Not For Profit but I realise it's not an easy sector to break into. A basic living wage would give me the freedom to wait until the right opportunity came my way.
what you wrote pretty unambiguously means people who are working "lovely" jobs because they pay the bills instead of something else more to their taste.

quote:

How many more people are currently doing utterly useless things with their lives, just to keep up an insecure subsistence, and dream of being able to work for something more meaningful, even if they had to just be a volunteer?

Negligent fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 9, 2016

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Bifauxnen posted:

I'd be quite interested in why you presumed I would make such an argument though.

the speed at which you're walking it back would make michael jackson look bad.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

dont worry guys the market forces (which we hate, boo free market) will make sure that cleaning toilets is sufficiently incentivised even if people have a choice to take basic income, and people who choose to clean toilets get the respect they deserve and everyone gets clean toilets and no one has to be poor! yay!

never mind that guy who just literally said he would rather be unemployed than have a poo poo job.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Bifauxnen posted:

*cough* and volunteering *cough*

while everyone is living off basic income and volunteering to save the whales and whatevs, who is going to clean the toilets in your unicorn society

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

open24hours posted:

Do you not understand how markets work? If the cost of cleaning toilets goes up, which it probably would, people aren't just going to stop cleaning them. This isn't any different from people moving to the cities during the industrial revolution. The price of rural labour went up, which encouraged technological development, which gave people in the cities more work and cheaper food. A basic income just accelerates the process.

well you see, tired of wading in their own filth, society will create well paying poo poo cleaner jobs, that will lure people away from saving the whales will invent poo poo-cleaning robots

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

sausage eyes posted:

You get that noone hates markets (free markets don't exist boo) ? Most people clean their toilets regularly and that cleaning other peoples toilets like a lot of jobs will get people extra income? Probably equal pay to things like tossmaster who makes bets on all our wealth and productivity.

well you see, tired of wading in their own filth, society will create well paying poo poo cleaner jobs, that will lure people away from saving the whales will invent poo poo-cleaning robots will create well paying poo poo cleaner jobs, that will lure people away from saving the whales

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Bifauxnen posted:

If only society had more reasonable, down-to-earth people like you, Negligent. But as you know, most of our society shares the same utopian greenie dreams as Auspol, and there is no sizeable segment of society that sees such pursuits as fanciful and foolish or laughable, as you do.

Everyone will be content to pursue their dreams while running on the basic income money alone. No one will ever feel tempted for even a little more pocket money. No one currently living in this 24/7 sharing economy will be able to further stomach the idea of part-time or casual work, not even when it poses no administrative burden or threat to their existing benefits.

are they getting part time and casual work cleaning the toilets, because as i understand it, that is something that currently contributes to cleaning toilets being a poo poo job (that and the actual poo poo)

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

open24hours posted:

How many people do you think actually want to make a career out of saving the whales?

if that number is larger than the number that wants to make a career cleaning toilets then sanitation in the basic income economy is looking a bit dicey

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

I'm looking at this all wrong, I have to adopt the special kind of thinking that allows people to believe in a world of basic income.

No one would even need to clean the toilets. Because, would you make a mess in the toilet if you a) greatly respected the janitor as a person who does a useful and meaningful job and b) knew she made more money than you, because toilet cleaning is an in-demand occupation due to labour competition from the voluntary sector

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Smegmatron posted:

The funniest part of all of this is that Negligent's gripe boils down to "why would anyone do <bad job> if there is a system in place that redresses the serious power imbalance which rigs the market in favour of employers? Society would collapse under the weight of people having the freedom to choose what do do with their time!"

Actually my issue was with the person who literally called some jobs a waste of your life compared to others and then pretended she didn't

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Bifauxnen posted:

Negligent if you need that badly to feel better than somebody on the internet, you can make fun of me for liking Hatoful Boyfriend instead of trying to read something weird into my arguments for basic income.

How would you like for us to interpret the words that you wrote other than the plainly obvious way that I and that other guy who quoted you did?

I'm actually fine with saying cleaning toilets is a poo poo job with bad pay and conditions, but you don't get to call it a poo poo job and then for some reason disingenuously pretend you were referring to something else.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Every time I see a cleaner I tell them, "stop wasting your life doing useless things! Don't you know you could be volunteering?"

And they look at me like I'm a loving hypocrite. What gives

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

In a world with basic income, Maslow's pyramid is actually upside down. Self actualisation comes ahead of economic survival. Every previous petal can blaze on like a crazy diamond, trying everything or even nothing until they find their true self.

Meanwhile some other people pay like 90% income tax on their job cleaning toilets

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Let's say that you successfully make cleaning toilets a high status high paying occupation, that still means based on principles of progressive taxation that a person who spends their day cleaning toilets cheerfully funds the lifestyle of a person who collects photos of alpacas dressed in ponchos on pinterest out of genuine respect for that person's basic human dignity.

If you manage that congratulations you have reversed the entire historical course of human development.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

None of you have the balls to threaten a politician in person and that's why you use expressions like "if I run into her on the street" instead of "tomorrow I'm going to their office"

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

I'm specifically saying you are a keyboard warrior btw

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

There won't be a double dissolution because then a different bunch of nutters will get in and better the devil you know?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

It's a not at all veiled criticism of a 28 year old IPA staffer winning the #1 spot on the liberals Victoria senate ticket. Lazy journalist didn't catch the reference.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Bill shorten somehow wins the next election, boats start coming, Tony successfully convinces the Liberal party and the electorate that he is the man to stop them and is PM again.

Luckily shorten won't win because he is a useless sack of poo poo

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

yeah but the interest alone on a 25 year, $300,000 mortgage is $18,569 in the first 12 months, so by that logic, you can save more money by never buying a house

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

bit of a dick move by Stephen Smith, Colin Barnett is deeply unpopular and Labor are probably going to get in

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

stephen smith voted to lock up and torture refugees but he gets points for this http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/story/518774.html
the national selectors are probably one of the only groups of people in Australia more unpopular than federal politicians

still think it's a real dick move. and it won't be neatly resolved so now we get to see the Labor party eat itself. which they kind of deserve, except then we get an American ex-IPA neocon fucktard with a stupid mustache as premier.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Lid posted:

Stephen Smith is infamously ambitious, when he was Defence Minister everyone in Defence hated him as his main priority was how to become PM. When he left the federal government a lot of people scratched their heads as his ambition for the top job was well known.

I am going to laugh when all the Labor infighting allows the Liberals to win again and Mike loving Nahan becomes the premier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

even if the judge can't actually do anything except review whether the correct procedure was followed, its highly unlikely immigration have not hosed up at least once. this is border farce we're talking about here.

• Locked thread