Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
From last thread:

Gorilla Salad posted:

:barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf:

Okay, can someone parse this bit for me? I feel like a teacher asking a student to "Please show your working" because that doesn't qualify for any definition of ironic I've ever heard of. Even the stupid definitions of ironic used by hipsters.

"It's ironic Pell should have been expected to pay more attention to his priests raping little children because Pell also happens to be a homophobic bigot."

Yes, why would someone try to silence a victim of a pedophile currently being investigated by the police.

Beep, boop, does not compute.

What Devine is saying is that people saying that Pell should have understood that homosexuality was being used as a euphemism for paedophilia, are actually the ~real homophobes~

Of course predictably that's dumb as gently caress, because pointing out that it's a well known euphemism isn't saying that homosexuals are paedophiles, just that homophobes conflate the two. I mean for even a pretty recent example of it being used you just have to look at Russia's "homosexual propaganda" laws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Direct democracy will only work once capitalism has been abolished. hth.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
So is it editorial policy at every Australian newspaper that journalists have to mention twitter drama at least once somewhere in a story?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I kind of hope it's not a DD. I want Ricky to stay on another 3 years.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
So how many years are we going to be waiting for ScoMo and Dutton to get puled up in front of a Royal Commission and have similar bouts of dementia?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I'll be honest I'd never even heard the narrative that it was only people at the top that knew about the holocaust. So take that as a sample of 1 I guess?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

The best way to view First Dog because you're unable to read the :words:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

quote:

Abbott and Credlin
Tony Abbott and chief of staff Peta Credlin hold a corridor meeting before the 2013 Liberal election campaign launch. Picture: Andrew Ellinghausen
Tony Abbott and chief of staff Peta Credlin hold a corridor meeting before the 2013 Liberal election campaign launch. Picture: Andrew Ellinghausen
1 of 12
Question time, Parliament House, Canberra.
Question time, Parliament House, Canberra.
2 of 12
Credlin and Abbott on day 31 of the 2013 election campaign. Picture: Gary Ramage
Credlin and Abbott on day 31 of the 2013 election campaign. Picture: Gary Ramage
3 of 12
The then opposition leader Tony Abbott gets cleaned up after a Clean Up Australia Day event in western Sydney.
The then opposition leader Tony Abbott gets cleaned up after a Clean Up Australia Day event in western Sydney.
4 of 12
At the Trans-Pacific Partnership Leaders meeting in Bali in 2013.
At the Trans-Pacific Partnership Leaders meeting in Bali in 2013.
5 of 12
Then prime minister Abbott conferring with chief of staff Credlin in federal parliament.
Then prime minister Abbott conferring with chief of staff Credlin in federal parliament.
6 of 12
Peta Credlin and government frontbencher Stuart Robert were caught on film arguing during the 2013 election campaign.
Peta Credlin and government frontbencher Stuart Robert were caught on film arguing during the 2013 election campaign.
7 of 12
Credlin, Abbott and his daughter Frances at the Perisher Valley ski town in NSW last year when the PM took a rare weekend off with family and friends. Picture: Andrew Murray
Credlin, Abbott and his daughter Frances at the Perisher Valley ski town in NSW last year when the PM took a rare weekend off with family and friends. Picture: Andrew Murray
8 of 12
Abbott and Credlin in Sydney during the 2013 campaign. Picture: Gary Ramage
Abbott and Credlin in Sydney during the 2013 campaign. Picture: Gary Ramage
9 of 12
Credlin sits behind Malcolm Turnbull, not yet PM. Picture: Kym Smith
Credlin sits behind Malcolm Turnbull, not yet PM. Picture: Kym Smith
10 of 12
A meeting with South Korean President Park Geun-hye at the Blue House in South Korea.
A meeting with South Korean President Park Geun-hye at the Blue House in South Korea.
11 of 12
Peta Credlin in Canberra in 2013. Picture: AAP
Peta Credlin in Canberra in 2013. Picture: AAP
12 of 12
:sterv:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Negligent posted:

Does Australia even have an extradition treaty with the Vatican state because George Pell should be brought home to face charges.

I guess a lot of priests were curious too. But no, we don't. Whether that means someone can't be extradited some other way I don't know.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

LibertyCat posted:

I like Thatcher's comments RE society.

Who among us could have guessed? :rolleyes:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

tithin posted:

What is your solution for the long term unemployed?

Have we tried raise the GST and kill all the poor?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

LibertyCat posted:

If I take $5 from your till, and then use it to buy a coffee from you, you are not 1 coffee's profit richer. You have effectively given me a coffee for free.

If however you take that $5 from an unemployed person who was going to buy a coffee and give it to the wealthy business owner standing behind him, who already had the $5 for a coffee, his coffee shop just lost $5.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

LibertyCat posted:

We would benefit just as much economically by bringing in genuine refugees and giving them the money instead - it is still being spent, and after a few years, they will (probably) work, whereas Bob the lazy sack of poo poo who hasn't worked in 20 years will continue being a social parasite.

Hell we would benefit just as much by getting the government to buy the same amount of food etc a human being would consume, putting it on a ship, then sinking it. Claiming someone who only consumes is 'contributing' by being a mouth to feed is ridiculous.

Yes, we should be letting in refugees. Congratulations, your one good opinion. As for buying food and then sinking it, yes that would also be an effective stimulus (though at that point you'd be better off just giving a subsidy.) Giving people welfare is not only good for economic reasons. If nothing else, just remember it's what defeated world communism (YMMV on whether that was good or not.)

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Does anyone other than children and their parents even buy games from Target?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Was it Jones who changed his mind on marriage equality when he got a hard on when he met a transwoman? I guess good on him, I suppose.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

LibertyCat posted:

I'll remember this the next time this thread complains about the salaries of CEOs etc.

Just :lol: if you think it's a matter of CEO's salaries being too high and not the exploitation of the working class.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Do Tree Tories produce much carbon when burnt?

e:Depends if they're wet or dry. :downsrim:

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Mar 9, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Graic Gabtar posted:

You realize we can do this all day?

Not if LibertyCat has anything to say about it.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

ewe2 posted:

Something Wonky made a point that is surprising as it is damning, in reaction to Trumpism, that the left is so bad at reaching their former constituency that right wing demagogues are doing it instead, with the expected results. Are we then to require a "hero of the people" to rise up and take on the elites? Perhaps a comedian will have to enter politics, which should go as well as it did for Peter Garrett.

Is Trump even reaching anyone new, that wouldn't have voted Republican in the first place? He's scary because he's a fascist and is actually getting Republicans to admit they like it, but I can't see him actually winning.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
And gently caress Charlie Pickering. He's so terribly unfunny.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Negligent posted:

even if the judge can't actually do anything except review whether the correct procedure was followed, its highly unlikely immigration have not hosed up at least once. this is border farce we're talking about here.

At least twice according to his record.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

LibertyCat posted:

I didn't stop arguing because I conceded, I stopped because 1 person versus a dozen gets tiring after a while. I made my point, you made yours, I left it at that.

Just because you didn't concede an argument, doesn't mean you didn't lose it. hth.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

meteor9 posted:

Well okay then.

To be fair that is actually disproportionately fewer violent crimes by whites. America's ~63% white.

e: Though to pretend that it's actual racial characteristics, and not economic and social discrimination that have caused that discrepancy is also really loving disingenuous. But I guess that was LibertyCat's point wrt guns?

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Mar 14, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

LibertyCat posted:

he's not that stupid, he's trying to bait me into posting something racist.

The fact this is a valid concern for you, means you probably should try just not being racist. :shrug:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Ket posted:

I suppose we should also get the government to stop paying for hospitals. Also gently caress those black lung havers for emotionally manipulating us into having better standards of work for Miners nowadays.

gently caress those people that died from asbestosis for emotionally blackmailing us into having better standards for buildings. Julie Bishop was right to stand up to their emotionally manipulative bullshit which is why I have a shrine to her.

Graic alt spotted. You won't get away with just changing refugees to miners.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

LibertyCat posted:

Oh ffs fine. Data isn't racist, and since I'm just quoting Wikipedia

Wiki page.

13% includes men, women, children and the elderly. I think it's pretty uncontroversial to say the vast majority of murderers are male - that leaves ~7%. I think it's safe to exclude toddlers and grandpa. If we remove anyone under 15 and over 65 (around 30% of the population) we get around 5%.

luckily the FBI has already done the hard work so we can get a more accurate picture. Let's arbitrarily pick ages 17-40 - that gives 4066 murders in that year by Black men 17-40, out of 10,113 murders where the race of the offender is known. Assuming the demographics of unsolved murders matches those of solved murders, that's about 40% of all murders, so not 50% like I threw out before.

The 2010 US Census gives population data. For the purposes of this shitpost let us assume the population hasn't changed much between 2010 and 2012. There are ~6.9 million Black Males aged 18-44 (yes we're excluding the 17 year olds, but counting the 41-44 year olds).

The USA 2010 population was 309.3 million, so this works at at ~2.2% of the population. For 40% of murders.

I honestly hope someone points a huge hole in my quick and dirty maths because these numbers are awful.

You know how your argument against gun prohibition was that the statistics were masking the fact that guns weren't necessarily the problem, and how this race tangent was supposed to show us lefties that statistics can lead to awful conclusions if looked at, at face value? Well that argument stops working when you make the case unironically that America's crime problem is a Black problem.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

i am all for small government but wait, who then will protect me from the blacks?

truly i am laid low by my own lovely ideas and insecurities.

Uhh private police forces, duh! Also as a libertarian and prospective wealthy elite I will buy up all the roads around 'urban communities' and build walls across them.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Can't alcoholics literally die from going cold turkey?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

open24hours posted:

Fortunately it's not going to stop anyone from getting alcohol.

Just trading groceries for other people buying alcohol, or is this such a poorly thought out idea that going to a shop in the next council over gets around it?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Just wait untill someone makes an app for this.

Can't wait for the ACA exclusive investigation into dole bludgers with smartphones. First they had fridges, then they were Lebanese fat kids etc.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

quote:

Earlier in the day, at about 12:40pm she munched on a gyro as she took a 25 minute break.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

The Narrator posted:

Via SBS News. Could someone weigh in on this? Is there some sort of argument for this rather than just the Greens going with a political strategy?

Gitro posted:

Fun times in the upper house. Microparties and Labor trying to wedge the greens and introduce new bills for debate to stymie the senate reforms, then drumming up some righteous indignation because the greens voted against debating their own bills.

You probably missed this post, it might answer your question.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Graic Gabtar posted:

With respect hooman it's sometimes hard not to be Internet offended when an accusation of being racist is often followed by being called a 'poo poo stain' or similar. I don't believe it does much for discussion. Also, its fair to say that this may have been used here occasionally as a way of shutting down debate.

Although I don't believe I need to be on a 24/7 heightened security alert of my internal monologues I do appreciate your point and will have a think about it when read posts that touch on the topic.

Thank you for a response that I'm actually going to read and consider as it's neither pointless or vitriolic. It's a shame that ewe2 feels that having discussions with people is pointless because they don't care for being given both barrels. That's ewe2's problem I guess.

Pretty sure Ewe2 was just a bit upset that you were really flippant about an effort post he made in good faith in order to help you understand his pov.

But I agree hooman is definitely 'one of the good ones'

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

EvilElmo posted:

This is the best I can find easily, http://australianpolitics.com/2013/02/25/alp-federal-election-results-since-1910.html, but broadly it isn't eroding yet. They're a major party, it goes up when they form Government, it goes down when they don't. The result at this election will be an interesting one to watch, how much Green vote bleeds to Malcolm and if the base follow them. There is less protest vote this election, so it will be interesting how it plays out for the Green vote.

Something Greens supporters (if they get what they wish for) will come to realise. When you Govern a country, you need to Govern a country, not 8.65% of it. Sometimes that means making unpopular decisions, and if the ALP and Greens swap spots, the ALP will complain about, get a protest vote at the next election (see the 2010 results).

It appears the Greens will do a preference swap with the LNP. LNP preference them in marginal ALP/Green seats and in return the Greens will ensure no HTVs are handed out in ALP/LNP marginal seats. Let's watch the Greens win Malcolm a few more terms in Government.

ALP: Making the difficult, unpopular decisions like torturing children.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

EvilElmo posted:

Being soft on asylum seekers lost the ALP a few elections and contributed to them losing the most recent (party instability didn't help, but it wasn't the only reason).

8.65% of the population voted Green. So clearly there isn't wide spread support for their policy on asylum seekers (among other policies).

Even with party instability, with their "lovely" policies and a leader few people liked, the Greens still had a down-tick in their vote since 2010, why is that? The stars aligned for the Greens at the last election, but they still fell short of their high water mark.

So in fact it's not about making difficult decisions, like effectively getting the message out that offshore processing isn't an effective or humane strategy, it's about pandering to the lowest common denominator in order to stay in power.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

EvilElmo posted:

Must be nice living in your world.

Back in reality, any attack campaign, like, literally any, would destroy any positive messaging the ALP tried to get out. The Greens have been trying for a long time, and their vote drops. The reality is, the majority of Australian's are not in favour of the Greens policy on asylum seekers. The ALP needs to Govern for all of Australia, not just 8.65% of it.

So you're in fact conceding that the party that takes tough, unpopular decisions is the Greens, which is then reflected in their only capturing <9% of the vote?

"It sure was tough struggling with our conscience for long enough to figure out that yes torture is bad, but being in government is better!"

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Mar 15, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

EvilElmo posted:

Noting that a Government deals with more than asylum seekers, yes. Being in Government and protecting the healthcare system, education system, disability pensions, workplace law and so on. It's a lot more important than sitting on the sideline bitching.

Jesus loving christ.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
If you're willing to turn to torture in order to stay in government, why wouldn't you lock up and torture the libs rather than asylum seekers?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Jumpingmanjim posted:

We're going to build a wall and make Indonesia pay for it.

Do we still confiscate and destroy boats? We could make it out of the flotsam they already paid for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Zenithe posted:

Wait what?

What happened according to something that isn't I'm assuming textbook propaganda.

ewe2 posted:

The longish answer from the ABC site:

What the hell just happened in the red chamber?

* Crossbenchers have been cooking up a plan with Labor to try and embarrass The Greens and the Government

* The government has been threatening to call a double dissolution election if it can’t get the ABCC bill through the Upper House BUT the Coalition wants to get Senate voting reforms through first to make it more difficult for crossbenchers to be re-elected

* Labor and some crossbenchers are angry because the Greens are supporting the Senate voting changes, ensuring the bills will pass and clearing the path for the government to use ABCC as a trigger

* Crossbenchers interrupted debate when the Senate started today, pushing for a series of bills to be listed for debate including the ABCC legislation, gay-marriage legislation.

* The government and The Greens voted together against Labor and most crossbenchers

* The Government therefore voted against "bringing on" for debate on the ABCC bill that it wants to have up its sleeve for a double dissolution trigger

* The Greens therefore voted against "bringing on" debate on its own bill to legalise same-sex marriage

* Labor and the crossbenchers argue, in particular, that the government's decision to stymie debate on the ABCC bill weakens its case for a double dissolution election

Most of this is pointless since everyone knows a DD would be disastrous for the government anyway, so the only thing I can take from this is how gormless the ALP are.

• Locked thread