Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the most delegates on Super Tuesday?
Hillary Clinton
Donald Trump
Bernie Sanders
Jim Gilmore
Baby Hitler
View Results

• Locked thread
I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Joementum posted:

Louie Gohmert won his primary last night :unsmith:

As a native of Louie Gohmert's district, gently caress Louie Gohmert and gently caress his family.

Louie Gohmert has been in Congress for over a decade and I keep waiting for him to die, but he just won't do it. The only joy I get out of him is when he's mocked on TV. His daughter Caroline is a lovely singer too.

Having said all of that, watching Gohmert meltdown over a Trump election would be delicious. :getin:

I. M. Gei has issued a correction as of 18:03 on Mar 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

mandatory lesbian posted:

gotta say, being the one state to not choose the winning guy is an impressive feat tho

Minnesotans are too proud of that considering it was Mondales home state

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Nanomashoes posted:

Ok let's strip representation from people just because they happen to live in the wrong state, especially people who are predominately black.

Like, I support Bernie but drat dude.

Surely the delegate weighting of states also accounts for this anyway.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Blasmeister posted:

Surely the delegate weighting of states also accounts for this anyway.

They do. Delegate are allocated to states with an equal weighing of their electoral votes and how many votes they cast for the Democratic presidential candidates in the last three elections.

So Vermont gets allocated 16 and Wyoming 11 because Vermont is more Democratic than Wyoming, even though they have the same number of electoral votes.

(Wyoming ends up with 14 because it's getting 3 bonus delegates from going late in the process, but that's not really relevant here.)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

zen death robot posted:

Are people actually trying to make an argument that only the purest democratic states should get to have primaries?

Only the purest democratic states should be allowed to participate in this great lands Democracy. Those red-neck Southern Hicks and Small Smack Daddy's should be GRATEFUL they are ALLOWED the PRIVILEGE of SUBSERVIENCE

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

As a native of Louie Gohmert's district, gently caress Louie Gohmert and gently caress his family.

Louie Gohmert has been in Congress for over a decade and I keep waiting for him to die, but he just won't do it. The only joy I get out of him is when he's mocked on TV. His daughter Caroline is a lovely singer too.

Having said all of that, watching Gohmert meltdown over a Trump election would be delicious. :getin:

Go away Gitmo Moneyson you creepy gently caress

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Smythe posted:

Only the purest democratic states should be allowed to participate in this great lands Democracy. Those red-neck Southern Hicks and Small Smack Daddy's should be GRATEFUL they are ALLOWED the PRIVILEGE of SUBSERVIENCE

:agreed:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Smythe posted:

Now that's what I call, a Southern Strategy

SMP
May 5, 2009

I swear I read somewhere last night that Trump is the only candidate to win MA and some state in the south (maybe Texas?). Does anyone know if that's true and what state it was?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

gotta say, being the one state to not choose the winning guy is an impressive feat tho

TwinsensRevenge
Aug 13, 2013

Smythe posted:

:yeah:

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
Now that Hillary Clinton was proven not viable when is she going to drop out?

Somehow in a pretty solid victory Hillary supporters have managed to move goalposts.

It is really Texas that did Bernie in yesterday. That was too big of state to run that far behind.

It's going to be interesting to watch the democrats going forward, the racial divide is huge.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Lord of Pie posted:

"Hey, let's choose our candidate solely through the results of the deepest red red states that we have no chance of winning in the general!" - Democrats, apparently

By the same argument, shouldn't you also disqualify the results of solidly blue states? In the general, those are gonna vote for anyone with a (D) by their name, so why should it matter who they vote for in the primary?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Smythe posted:

:chome:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
ALABAMA

• Trump: 36
  • Cruz: 13
  • Rubio: 1

Alaska

• Cruz: 12
  • Trump: 11
  • Rubio: 5

ARKANSAS

• Trump: 17
  • Rubio: 9

GEORGIA

• Trump: 43
  • Cruz: 16
  • Rubio: 15

MASSACHUSETTS

• Trump: 22
  • Rubio: 8
  • Kasich: 8
  • Cruz: 4

MINNESOTA

• Rubio: 14

OKLAHOMA

• Cruz: 15
  • Trump: 13
  • Rubio: 12
  • Uncommitted: 3

TENNESSEE

• Trump: 30
  • Cruz: 14
  • Rubio: 10

TEXAS

• Cruz: 102
  • Trump: 47
  • Rubio: 6

VERMONT

• Trump: 8

VIRGINIA

• Rubio: 16
  • Cruz: 8
  • Kasich: 5
  • Carson: 3

SUPER TUESDAY TOTALS

• Trump: 255
  • Cruz: 210
  • Rubio: 96
  • Kasich: 21

DELEGATE COUNT

• Donald Trump: 337 pledged
  • Ted Cruz: 227 pledged
  • Marco Rubio: 112 pledged
  • John Kasich: 27 pledged
  • Ben Carson: 8 pledged
  • Jeb! Bush: 4 pledged
  • Rand Paul: 1 pledged
  • Carly Fiorina: 1 pledged
  • Mike Huckabee: 1 pledged

721 delegates awarded so far out of the 2,265 pledged, 210 unpledged, or 2,472 total available delegates to the RNC

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I don't think he was arguing that those states should be disqualified, only that it doesn't lead to the most GE-capable candidate due to how anemic local democrat parties are in those communities.

Personally, I feel that having delegates be appropriated based on turnout from the past three elections isn't the best of rules, but I'm not sure how that'd be fixed other than not sorting delegates until after a state has voted and its turnout can be observed (and I imagine that would be pretty complicated and lead to potential abuse).

What I'm wondering is how this effects the influence of southern black democrats if future elections also see this leftist-neoliberal divide which leads to record low white turnout in southern states, since by delegate rules that would entitle them to less delegates and less importance.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Has /r/s4p always been private? I've never ventured there before.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Joementum posted:

ALABAMA

• Trump: 36
  • Rubio: 1

Alaska

• Cruz: 12
  • Rubio: 5

ARKANSAS

• Rubio: 9

GEORGIA

• Trump: 43
  • Cruz: 16
  • Rubio: 15

MASSACHUSETTS

• Trump: 22
  • Rubio: 8
  • Cruz: 4

MINNESOTA

• Rubio: 14

OKLAHOMA

• Cruz: 15
  • Trump: 13
  • Rubio: 12

TENNESSEE

• Trump: 30
  • Cruz: 14
  • Rubio: 10

TEXAS

• Cruz: 102
  • Trump: 47
  • Rubio: 6

VERMONT

• Trump: 8

VIRGINIA

• Rubio: 16
  • Cruz: 8
  • Kasich: 5

SUPER TUESDAY TOTALS

• Trump: 255
  • Cruz: 210
  • Rubio: 96
  • Kasich: 21

DELEGATE COUNT

• Donald Trump: 337 pledged
  • Ted Cruz: 227 pledged
  • Marco Rubio: 112 pledged
  • John Kasich: 27 pledged
  • Ben Carson: 8 pledged
  • Jeb! Bush: 4 pledged
  • Rand Paul: 1 pledged
  • Carly Fiorina: 1 pledged
  • Mike Huckabee: 1 pledged

721 delegates awarded so far out of the 2,265 pledged, 210 unpledged, or 2,472 total available delegates to the RNC

Top three candidates all have over 100 delegates. Delicious.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Mordiceius posted:

Has /r/s4p always been private? I've never ventured there before.

it doesn't exist

You're looking for /sandersforpresident

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

here are the people who got the other almost-10% of the democratic primary vote in oklahoma btw
http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P16/OK-D#0301
2.28 martin o'malley
1.31 keith judd
1.24 michael steinberg
1.03 star locke
0.74 rocky de la fuente guerra

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

zen death robot posted:

Are people actually trying to make an argument that only the purest democratic states should get to have primaries?

IOKIYAD

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

edit nm

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neurolimal posted:

I don't think he was arguing that those states should be disqualified, only that it doesn't lead to the most GE-capable candidate due to how anemic local democrat parties are in those communities.

Personally, I feel that having delegates be appropriated based on turnout from the past three elections isn't the best of rules, but I'm not sure how that'd be fixed other than not sorting delegates until after a state has voted and its turnout can be observed (and I imagine that would be pretty complicated and lead to potential abuse).

What I'm wondering is how this effects the influence of southern black democrats if future elections also see this leftist-neoliberal divide which leads to record low white turnout in southern states, since by delegate rules that would entitle them to less delegates and less importance.

The reason why white turnout in Southern Dem primaries is down is because southern white people are republicans.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

zen death robot posted:

"We must secure the existence of our people and a future for white democrats."

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

A Winner is Jew posted:

"We must secure the existence of our people and a future for white democrats."

Bad news, you might have to change your name.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Neurolimal posted:

I

Why are you calling a divide between black and white in the South a leftist-neoliberal divide?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Obdicut posted:

Why are you calling a divide between black and white in the South a leftist-neoliberal divide?

its hard to find acceptable ways to say stop counting the votes of the blacks

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i have a compromise

perhaps we could count each of their votes as 3/5ths of a vote

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

hey for a word filter how about neo from the matrix

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
It should word filter to pretty little girl. So bad posters end up making posts like "You're a pretty little girl" and "The Democratic Party is full of Pretty Little Girls"

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
I keep reading the thread title as Hillary drew her Katrina, which makes sense too if you consider what she did to Bernie in the south.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
"Republicans are racist because voter ID laws suppress minority voter turnout! Now: let me tell you about why black people shouldn't vote in the democratic primary."

I used to have a vague preference for Bernie over Hillary, but now I want Hillary to clobber him just to spite idiot Bernouts.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

PT6A posted:

"Republicans are racist because voter ID laws suppress minority voter turnout! Now: let me tell you about why black people shouldn't vote in the democratic primary."

I used to have a vague preference for Bernie over Hillary, but now I want Hillary to clobber him just to spite idiot Bernouts.

So you are going to vote for a candidate out of spite for a small minority of supporters and ignore policies completely? Enjoy your centrist candidate once she does nothing she promised during the campaign in order to get votes.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

JHVH-1 posted:

So you are going to vote for a candidate out of spite for a small minority of supporters and ignore policies completely? Enjoy your centrist candidate once she does nothing she promised during the campaign in order to get votes.

Because the way Sanders would get what he's said he would accomplished with a republican controlled house would be...

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Obdicut posted:

Because it's people excited about fiscal leftism vs. People not excited about fiscal leftism. That just happens to br a number of old voters and black voters.

PT6A posted:

You do realize that nothing in my post is complaining about black voters, and next to nothing has been said by Hillary supporters about the fact that closed registration is bad?

evilweasel posted:

its hard to find acceptable ways to say stop counting the votes of the blacks

evilweasel posted:

i have a compromise

perhaps we could count each of their votes as 3/5ths of a vote

These are entirely reasonable responses to "I'm worried about black democrats in the south becoming marginalized".

Venom Snake posted:

The reason why white turnout in Southern Dem primaries is down is because southern white people are republicans.

This doesn't change how delegates are decided, which rely on turnout period. Not only black turnout or white turnout. Low turnout harms the influence of all the state's democrats. You might as well be moaning about gerrymandering for all the good it will do.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

yes i'm really moving, no i'm not seriously rethinking it based on them being unable to pick anyone who wins, apparently

not picking reagan is the winning move

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

A Winner is Jew posted:

Because the way Sanders would get what he's said he would accomplished with a republican controlled house would be...

Yeah guys, Bernie Sanders' ideas sound good on paper but tricky, so I'd rather vote for the candidate whose ideas don't even sound good.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Tercio posted:

Yeah guys, Bernie Sanders' ideas sound good on paper but tricky literally impossible to implement without a huge shift left of the voting population in non-presidential election years, and if that were to happen then those ideas would be implemented regardless of who's in the WH, so I'd rather vote for the candidate whose ideas don't even sound good.

FTFY

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

I'll hand it to you, nothing about the way you fixed it is false.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

A Winner is Jew posted:

so I'd rather vote for the candidate whose ideas don't even sound good.

this is the important part, pal

• Locked thread