Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Al Borland Corp. posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3Oty5qVeOc

Doesn't seem to be condescending to black people, rather telling white politicians to get their poo poo together.

Guy who posted images, those are literally unreadable to me.

This is hilarious because it appears this is the first time you've ever heard of Charles Barkley. Not even 24 hours later:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/charles-barkley-pledges-money-start-ups-not-hair-salons-article-1.3699112

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Barkley needs to shut up and jam. (Gaiden.)

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
So I watched The Spirit last night since it's kind of a Christmas movie...

I liked it.

https://i.imgur.com/nH0F1Yz.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/22O4Z4U.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/Sat0Ayq.mp4

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Obviously Charles Barkley must be replacing Chris Evans as Captain America to warrant this much discussion about him in the comic book movie thread.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SleepCousinDeath posted:

I liked it.

The Spirit is quite bad but admirably absurd. It's a hell of a lot better than Sin City 2.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah, I can't hate on The Spirit. The solution to portraying a villain who's never been seen before being Samuel L Jackson in an increasingly different costume every scene is inspired.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Just watched Guardians of the galaxy 2, what a great movie,really enjoyed Kurt russel (as always) and Stan the man's cameo.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

SleepCousinDeath posted:

I liked it.

I honestly feel The Spirit is the most honest comic book movie.
And until BvS it was about the only film that captured the grandiose absurdity of comics.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I thought the story of Charles Barkley that he wasn't very political all the way through his college career - like paid absolutely zero attention to it - and when he got to the NBA, his agent was like "register to vote, it's an election year and you'll get asked about it and you don't want people reporting you're not even registered". Barkley asked what he should register as, his agent told him "Republican, they work towards you keeping your money", and so he did.

Later he researched what else the Republican platform was, discovered how badly it hosed over poor people and black people, and has strived to push back against conservatism ever since.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Just watched Guardians of the galaxy 2, what a great movie,really enjoyed Kurt russel (as always) and Stan the man's cameo.

I also watched it tonight and thought scumbag Stan's cameo was poo poo.

It's a weird movie that seems terrified of sincerity for 90% of its runtime, undercutting everything with more and more jokes, but then at the end it's just people crying and hugging and telling each other that they're all family. Every character seems to have the same arc (even the ones that aren't explicitly mirrored).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Cameo posted:

I thought the story of Charles Barkley that he wasn't very political all the way through his college career - like paid absolutely zero attention to it - and when he got to the NBA, his agent was like "register to vote, it's an election year and you'll get asked about it and you don't want people reporting you're not even registered". Barkley asked what he should register as, his agent told him "Republican, they work towards you keeping your money", and so he did.

Later he researched what else the Republican platform was, discovered how badly it hosed over poor people and black people, and has strived to push back against conservatism ever since.

Barkley's spent the last couple of years speaking out against Black Lives Matter, Trayvon Martin, and the like and for Zimmerman and Blue Lives Matter. Like, he had a show on TNT where he went to places like Ferguson to tell the communities it was their fault and the cops were on their side.

So there's some problematic stuff inbetween "discovered conservatives were crazy" and "didn't want a pedophile as a senator."

He endorsed John Kasich for President. He's a "sane Republican."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Cameo posted:

Barkley literally spoke a few years ago at a Baltimore church where a fire broke out during the Freddie Gray riots, supported the police who murdered him, told the attendees that they lacked perspective because anyone poor was going to be the victim of discrimination, and told the mother of a police victim who ripped him that "I'm like the homecoming queen, all the ugly girls hate me, I'm used to it."

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

The Cameo posted:

That’s a story that may have been true at some point but he’s clearly internalized the really racist aspects of his party. A lot of his opinions about black people are about how they need to get their poo poo together and be “more white”.

As a latinx person I see that poo poo all the time with republican latinx people who think immigrants need to get their poo poo together and do immigration the “right way”.

Ghosthotel fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 27, 2017

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

TheNewt posted:

Can we get back to talking about Coco?

I want to point out it's a film about stereotypical Mexican culture (which is fine latin americans loving love stereotypes especially ones that are 10x more racist than any american ones) but most non-mexican latinos don't like Mexicans. Like at all. In fact some actively hate them.

Also Dia de Los Muertos is only celebrated in Mexico. Everyone else thinks it's like super weird.

Several cultures have similar events to dia de muertos, but some of them are in asia instead of central/south america. Shared ancestors and all that, its fascinating

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Asian ghosts have it good, though. They not only get food, they also get cars and iPhones from living relatives.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It’s good for the director and actors certainly. And possibly for increasing black representation in Hollywood. And it’s very good for the rich white dudes running Disney.

I’m not convinced that it’s revolutionary.

In a world where independent women and B-plots centered around minorities cause a loud audience backlash, I'll take it.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Huh. Didn't know any of that, since the last time I ever noticed Barkley's name in the news was when he was still actually an active player. Surprised to find out he's a gigantic rear end in a top hat on that level.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

dont even fink about it posted:

In a world where independent women and B-plots centered around minorities cause a loud audience backlash, I'll take it.

Surprisingly, there isn't any backlash around Wonder Woman or Black Panther.

There was backlash to women-only screenings of Wonder Woman, though, which says more about the screenings than the movie itself.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

sassassin posted:

I also watched it tonight and thought scumbag Stan's cameo was poo poo.

It's a weird movie that seems terrified of sincerity for 90% of its runtime, undercutting everything with more and more jokes, but then at the end it's just people crying and hugging and telling each other that they're all family. Every character seems to have the same arc (even the ones that aren't explicitly mirrored).

Sincerity's overrated,it's a movie with talking racoons and a guy called tazer face i'm not expecting gone with the wind.
I thought yondu was the most compelling guy in the film but everyone had their moments.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Día de los Muertos is celebrated all over southern Texas and California not just Mexico.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Día de los Muertos is celebrated all over southern Texas and California not just Mexico.
Exactly, in Mexico.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

Exactly, in Mexico.

:hfive:

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

wyoming posted:

And until BvS it was about the only film that captured the grandiose absurdity of comics.

Speed Racer and Punisher War Zone came out at about that time as well, though.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

How is China going to edit the Black Panther movie posters

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Sincerity's overrated,it's a movie with talking racoons and a guy called tazer face i'm not expecting gone with the wind.

On the contrary it actually succeeds in constructing several effective scenes with genuine emotional resonance in the first hour and a half, only to undercut them all with unnecessary gags/quips at the end. Some of that is in-character, clearly. The talking raccoon is hiding from his own feelings out of fear of abandonment/not being accepted, and acting out as a result. But everybody be quipping, even the characters who have an alternative outlet (Nebula).

I found the funny scenes mostly funny (when they weren't simply laughing at how hilarious their own galaxy was like the tazer face thing), but there are a lot of damp squibs that made it feel like the director had the same feeling towards the genre that you have above. Until the ending it's like he didn't have faith that the audience could genuinely care about his characters.

But cinematic history tells us that people care about talking animals more than anything!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Uncle Wemus posted:

I saw a couple of Asian ones, and they only have the title character with his mask on.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

sassassin posted:

On the contrary it actually succeeds in constructing several effective scenes with genuine emotional resonance in the first hour and a half, only to undercut them all with unnecessary gags/quips at the end. Some of that is in-character, clearly. The talking raccoon is hiding from his own feelings out of fear of abandonment/not being accepted, and acting out as a result. But everybody be quipping, even the characters who have an alternative outlet (Nebula).

I found the funny scenes mostly funny (when they weren't simply laughing at how hilarious their own galaxy was like the tazer face thing), but there are a lot of damp squibs that made it feel like the director had the same feeling towards the genre that you have above. Until the ending it's like he didn't have faith that the audience could genuinely care about his characters.

But cinematic history tells us that people care about talking animals more than anything!

Thor 3 had the exact same problem

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 235 days!

The MSJ posted:

I saw a couple of Asian ones, and they only have the title character with his mask on.

Angry customers, tricked into seeing a movie about black people.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

TetsuoTW posted:

Exactly, in Mexico.

This tired joke was never funny.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Tezcatlipoca posted:

This tired joke was never funny.

...joke?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Rocket's arc in which he is adapting to become the protective father figure to the group instead of an equal team member is one of the more interesting character pieces in the Marvel films.

That he's a cgi trash panda doesn't make it any more or less compelling.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

sassassin posted:

Rocket's arc in which he is adapting to become the protective father figure to the group instead of an equal team member is one of the more interesting character pieces in the Marvel films.

That he's a cgi trash panda doesn't make it any more or less compelling.

For me, it wasn't interesting or compelling, it was maudlin and cringey. One second he's making cracks and the next he's crying about what a terrible person he is and promises to be better, all because the mohawk smurf sassed him.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Way too many racist rednecks up here and the tex mex culture is different.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

There's racist redneck equivalents in Mexico too tho. I get the business every time I open my mouth and speak broken Spanish around them. Those racist Americans are just a different flavor is all.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

McCloud posted:

For me, it wasn't interesting or compelling, it was maudlin and cringey. One second he's making cracks and the next he's crying about what a terrible person he is and promises to be better, all because the mohawk smurf sassed him.

His spoken arc about being just like the rooker with a heart of gold (a retread of GotG1) isn't his actual arc (defined by his actions like shooting Gamora in the back for her own good).

Rocket's arc is about becoming David Hasselhoff. Watch him fail to successfully integrate Quinn's music into his arsenal. He can't go on competing with Quinn, he has to become his new "daddy" (without the sexual abuse this time).

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

josh04 posted:

I don't have PM's, but I'd be very excited to be shot a link at josh04 at gmail dot com.

Same, g.dearien at gmail

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

ruddiger posted:

There's racist redneck equivalents in Mexico too tho. I get the business every time I open my mouth and speak broken Spanish around them. Those racist Americans are just a different flavor is all.

If you are white they won't care, you will be like "cool a gringo", if you are latino you'll get mocked and ask to drop the act and speak good Spanish. if you are latino but not mexican get ready for getting lots of "you've come to steal are mexican jobs" hate. I've seen Venezuelans getting a lot of poo poo like that where I live, and most passing migrants are accused of being rapists and robbers (while forgetting a large part of crime is committed by locals and the cartels).

So anyways, you need to drop your rear end in an actual tiny backwater mexican town so you sort of realize not everything in Coco was a stereotype, or at least it wasn't that terrible. NOW Disney's installment on their parks. Oh boy. OH BOY. :cripes:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Uncle Wemus posted:

Black Panda

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

ruddiger posted:

There's a big difference between "you aren't a real Mexican because your Spanish is different" and "Mexicans in this country should be shot." I wouldn't say that is equivalent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

DeimosRising posted:

Same, g.dearien at gmail

sent

• Locked thread