Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rhyno posted:

This was one of the things Kevin Feige has brought up when explaining why the MCU has done away with secret identities for the most part.

I like the idea of Clark being able to walk around on the street and live a fairly normal life just because nobody expects Superman to be standing in line at a Starbucks in warm up pants and a t-shirt. Not actively working to keep a secret identity, and everyone at The Planet pretty much knows, but Clark Kent is free to more or less live his life.

Like imagine if Obama actually just walked up to a hamburger joint without loads of Secret Service, no media, no assistants, and wearing some regular cloths. He gives the cashier the name Barry for his order. Everyone there would at best tell their friends about that guy who looked sort of like Obama they saw at lunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Gyges posted:

I like the idea of Clark being able to walk around on the street and live a fairly normal life just because nobody expects Superman to be standing in line at a Starbucks in warm up pants and a t-shirt. Not actively working to keep a secret identity, and everyone at The Planet pretty much knows, but Clark Kent is free to more or less live his life.

Like imagine if Obama actually just walked up to a hamburger joint without loads of Secret Service, no media, no assistants, and wearing some regular cloths. He gives the cashier the name Barry for his order. Everyone there would at best tell their friends about that guy who looked sort of like Obama they saw at lunch.

This seems wildly inconsistent with the actual experience of celebrities going out in public.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
With this movie being the Dawn of Justice league I'm assuming his cover will be blown and or revealed in this movie and he'll just be Superman from then on.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 8, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Edit: nope, not gonna argue over MoS again, I'm letting it go

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Kodiak posted:

This seems wildly inconsistent with the actual experience of celebrities going out in public.

Do random celebs get hassled when they're some where they aren't known to be?

Like obviously they're going to be noticed if they're hanging around where they actually live. But you go far enough away without anyone knowing that, or if no one is EXPECTING you to be around, you can get around pretty easily.

I also think secret identities is a thing that Marvel in general never worried too much about because the majority of their heroes aren't ones that NEED them. Steve Rogers is Captain America there is no distinction.

Superman is not Clark Kent. Clark Kent is not Superman.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Burkion posted:

Like obviously they're going to be noticed if they're hanging around where they actually live. But you go far enough away without anyone knowing that, or if no one is EXPECTING you to be around, you can get around pretty easily.

I also think secret identities is a thing that Marvel in general never worried too much about because the majority of their heroes aren't ones that NEED them. Steve Rogers is Captain America there is no distinction.

Superman is not Clark Kent. Clark Kent is not Superman.

Here in NYC at least celebrities are seen walking around getting food/at a club/whatever all the time and no one gives a poo poo beyond thinking "Oh hey wasn't that ____? Cool" a few minutes later.

But obviously the impact a celebrity has on people will be different that that of someone like Superman. Another way they could handle it is to say that after his dealings with General Swanwick (sic?) the government helps him hide his identity but again for the sheer impact Superman has on the world in the movie even that's a reach.

It would be great if they just go full Silver Age and he throws on glasses and no one can tell but keep everything else about the film's tone the same as Man of Steel.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I will always be a proponent of going full Silver Age. Silver Age Superman is great.

Sure he can't lose a fight but none of his stories were concerned with actually fighting so who gives a poo poo? Just delve into the insanity full stop.

I want him to Super Ventriloquist Bruce into admitting he's Batman while marrying Lois to a cobra which inexplicably stops the sun from exploding.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Burkion posted:

Opposite, around their home people would be respectful to a fellow member of the community and people don't bat eyes as much. A celebrity goes to say a random out-of-town Waffle House, people want autographs, pictures, some type of experience. There is no "far enough away" that people aren't starfuckers at a certain level of celebrity but there is a close enough to home for them.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, I don't know about hassled, but as someone who lives in a city that's decidedly not LA or NY, I've recognized movie stars in bars or wherever and thereafter learned that they're in town because some movie is doing location shooting. And they're not people who can, you know, fly at supersonic speeds under their own power and therefore be easily explained as showing up anywhere.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Chris O'donnel bought myself and everyone else in line gyros in Chicago as an apology for cutting the line.

I didn't recognize him before or after.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Funnily enough, I shook hands and made small talk with Russel Crowe when he walked into the Starbucks my friend worked at in downtown Wheaton; he was riding on bike paths around Wheaton and Naperville, training for Man of Steel at the time. My buddy made him his drink :3: Pretty chill guy, but yeah, everyone in the Starbucks recognized him. Pretty sure everyone would recognize B-ROCK if he came in there too. I think Crowe went to that Starbucks a few times after I first saw him there actually. Only got to meet him the one time though. He's the only movie star I've ever actually met with and talked to in person.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I used Obama as an example because the general public associates him with a suit and tie look. A black guy who you think looks like Obama but without any sort of entourage and wearing normal, casual clothes is going to make you generally think it's just some guy who looks like him. Male actors aren't really a great comparison, but if famous actresses could get out without make-up they'd probably be a lot less likely to be recognized.

Like if you saw Kim Kardashian with no make-up, would you recognize her?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
If David Bowie could get away with this then anything is possible

https://twitter.com/damomac/status/686919933884788736

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Gyges posted:

Maybe. And, note, there's a huge difference between not usually being recognized and never being recognized.

Though this has brought the conversation straight into the not-particularly-original Superman-just-wears-glasses conversation.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sir Kodiak posted:

Maybe. And, note, there's a huge difference between not usually being recognized and never being recognized.

Michael Jackson used to pay Hollywood special effects wizard Michael Westmore to create elaborate disguises for him but then again MJ was pretty damned crazy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gyges posted:

I used Obama as an example because the general public associates him with a suit and tie look. A black guy who you think looks like Obama but without any sort of entourage and wearing normal, casual clothes is going to make you generally think it's just some guy who looks like him. Male actors aren't really a great comparison, but if famous actresses could get out without make-up they'd probably be a lot less likely to be recognized.

If I saw her out in public it wouldn't matter too much if I recognized her or not.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Michael Jackson used to pay Hollywood special effects wizard Michael Westmore to create elaborate disguises for him but then again MJ was pretty damned crazy

Michael Jackson also got mobbed everywhere he went because he's Michael Jackson.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I think in Ultimate Spider-Man (cartoon and comic), JJJ runs an online TV show where he talks about current events and also rant about Spider-Man. In the cartoon, you can see him on a giant screen at Times Square that Spidey swings by all the time.

I also remember Ultimate Peter being the Bugle's website designer.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The final cut of Civil War (with credits included) is 2:27 long. It's the longest Marvel movie to date.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

And yet it still won't FEEL as long as Age of Ultron.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Neo Rasa posted:

And yet it still won't FEEL as long as Age of Ultron.

What a boring shitshow that was.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
I feel like some of the acronystic parts help make comic book movies feel more comic bookish to me. who cares if print media is still going in marvel movies? and secret identities are part of the fun of super heroes.

also, drat Age of ultron is a big middle finger to man of steel, ultron is superman who sees a coming disaster and tries to avert it and the movie says to him maybe it's okay to let it die instead of trying to forcibly turn it into your idea world. too bad almost everything about the movie was awful

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
That's a strange reading because everyone else is specifically focused around seeing disasters and preventing people from dying. Everything from the Hulkbuster fight to the evacuation of the Russian town, even the random bots at the beginning.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
tony's vision was more about him being scared of surviving than everyone else dying thor's was just weird i don't remember if we're even told what bruce saw

but yes tony's fear and bruce's anger at the destruction does create an even bigger problem both the hulk fight and ultron.

also it's very much the opposite of superman, the avengers save people but humanity is left to fend for itself superman will lead humanity but people have to save themselves. the marvel universe is very libertarian which makes it a fun escapist fantasy.

also also Age of ultron is a very badly made movie.

Elfgames fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Mar 9, 2016

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Elfgames posted:

who cares if print media is still going in marvel movies?

Don't worry, nobody made the mistake of caring.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Civil War has been clocked in at 146 minutes, making it the longest MCU film to date. :stare:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Timby posted:

Civil War has been clocked in at 146 minutes, making it the longest MCU film to date. :stare:

90 minutes of it is the elaborate backstory for the government stooge that hands Cap the registration law.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Now I'm remembering when Kate Mara was on Craig Ferguson to promote Iron Man 2 and after she showed the 15-second clip of her serving Tony with some papers, she was like, "Yeah, that's literally my entire role" and they just forgot about Iron Man and shot the poo poo for 10 minutes

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

HorseRenoir posted:

If David Bowie could get away with this then anything is possible

https://twitter.com/damomac/status/686919933884788736

I wonder why nobody ever tried to gently caress with him over this? If I was a cab driver and I picked up a seemingly Greek man who looked uncannily similar to David Bowie, I'd probably roll with the Greek thing for about five minutes and then put on Life on Mars? and watch his facial expression.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/dceufacts/status/707667264758124544

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Makes me want to watch Spring Breakers.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
More

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Jenny Angel posted:

Now I'm remembering when Kate Mara was on Craig Ferguson to promote Iron Man 2 and after she showed the 15-second clip of her serving Tony with some papers, she was like, "Yeah, that's literally my entire role" and they just forgot about Iron Man and shot the poo poo for 10 minutes

Reminds me of when Sam Jackson was supposed to be on Letterman to promote Star Wars 3, and they just argued about Golf for twenty minutes before showing the clip with no introduction.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Jenny Angel posted:

I'm hoping water supply guy from Batman Begins appears and reads the entire registration act directly to the camera.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I've seen Spike Lee walking around near NYU a few times and nobody hassles him. He's usually incredibly conspicuous too, completely decked out in blue and orange Knicks gear.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I've seen Spike Lee walking around near NYU a few times and nobody hassles him. He's usually incredibly conspicuous too, completely decked out in blue and orange Knicks gear.

I thought you said Stan Lee and was really confused.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

computer parts posted:

90 minutes of it is the elaborate backstory for the government stooge that hands Cap the registration law.

And the rest is Spider-man's origin.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Rhyno posted:

And the rest is Spider-man's origin.

Oh god, I forgot he was going to be in it.
I hope we see like, some SHIELD surveillance footage of Uncle Ben biting it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

There's a chance they are going for someone not MJ or Gwen as Peter's girlfriend this time, considering that Zendayah has been cast as the female lead named "Michelle".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The MSJ posted:

There's a chance they are going for someone not MJ or Gwen as Peter's girlfriend this time, considering that Zendayah has been cast as the female lead named "Michelle".

Michelle Jayla Watson.

• Locked thread