Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

CountFosco posted:

What's there to explain? You posted some panels which I don't think are necessarily all that impressive, but they represent a small portion of his overall work. Oeuvre if you want to be fancy about it. He's a practicing occultist and that transfers into his art in ways which some find particularly obnoxious and pretentious, but if you're going to scrub all of your art from that sort of thing you're going to be left with a vastly diminished art history.

What about it is "formidable", though? He's like the least subtle person to ever live. The only way his films could be thought of as formidable is if you insist on them being coherent. I mean The Holy Mountain literally ends with him telling you "hey it's just a movie don't worry about what it means."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

CountFosco posted:

You seem to be making some assumptions here. 1. That subtlety is important. 2. That any coherence to be found in a Jodorowsky film would have to be imposed in an act of eisegesis. 3. That the end of The Holy Mountain subverts any meaning that the film establishes prior through its metatextual reveal. I deny all three of these. To me, The Holy Mountain reads as a satire and critique of New Age Guruism, and the reveal at the end supports this critique, as the character played by Jodorowsky reveals to his marks that they have been conned by a director.

Oh, there's nothing wrong with having a read of the film, and you're right that the reveal at the end of the film doesn't serve as a subversion of meaning -- it's meaningful unto itself. But The Holy Mountain can still be enjoyed as, essentially, a series of installations and vignettes. It's very different from, say, a Pasolini film, where if you aren't engaging with the social critique and cultural subtext then it's going to be very difficult to process the cruelty displayed onscreen. That's more what I think of when I think about a "formidable" film.

Basically, I don't think you have to work that hard to enjoy Jodorowsky.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 21, 2017

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

S.J. posted:

Hulk 2?

Electric Boogaloo

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

got any sevens posted:

Who would be the next big baddie in a decade for the phase 2 avengers?

Beyonder. With DC breaking ties with Zach Snyder, Marvel will pick him up and we'll get a Zach Snyder Battleworld movie and I will die a happy man

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

teagone posted:

The thought of a Snyder directed MCU or Star Wars films gets me all :gizz:

I mean in reality I'd rather he be working with a studio that gives him enough creative freedom to make the movies he wants to make. In other words, not Marvel or Disney.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

I'd much rather see him direct something in the Legendary Pictures(?) Godzilla universe. Mothra vs Ghidorah or something.

[nodding intensifies]

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Vegetable posted:

This would be insanely awesome

He's basically the same thing as MCU Dormammu though.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Kaveman posted:

Zack Synder sucks please lord keep him away from Marvel or Star Wars. He's already hosed one franchise

Well, he's certainly no *squints, looks at posting history* Vince McMahon when it comes to crafting a story

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Away all Goats posted:

Whoever did the Immortals movie should do a Flash movie

Tarsem Singh. And yes he would probably do great things with a superhero movie, but it's never going to happen.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

That shot of the Muto plunging out the clouds is so good argh :kingsley:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I like the rack focus shot of Parker. Everything else looks baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

UmOk posted:

avengars : infinite war looks so bad. like it is a TV show amirite. it just looks so flats and evenly lit. fuckin josh weedon. the musak isnt even hummable.

Are you okay?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

It's a really boring portrayal of the character. What happened to his star eyes?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Burkion posted:

HD quality has not been kind to anything made Pre 2008

Aaaaaaanything

Someone hasn't watched The Third Man on bluray.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

Is Thanos extremely powerful without the glove?

In the comics, yeah, he's up there with guys like Hulk and Juggernaut and can also shoot energy beams and junk. But his intelligence, willpower, and technology are greater assets than his strength.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Detective Dog Dick posted:

Thanos is the most strongest, most smartest and most evillest. His signature catchphrase is, "Heh, nothin personnell, kid."

He also hates himself and compulsively self-sabotages

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

He looks more like Josh Brolin to me.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

You don't understand! He's a nihilist who secretly hates himself and always loses because he constantly self-sabotages! He's the most relatable villain in comics!

The way he's presented, and Jim Starlin's storytelling style in general, is very much in the mode of Greek tragedy. The Infinity Gauntlet basically takes place on an amphitheater floating in space. Thanos is great, but it's not something comes across through plot description.

Burkion posted:

You don't dial down the camp to make him a better villain. You ratchet that poo poo up and play it straight

This is exactly right.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Why do people make video essays where 3/4 of the frame is their face and 1/4 of the frame is the thing they want you to look at

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Who knew honest to god production design could count for so much?

Well, Star Wars came out in 1977, so...

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Gatts posted:

Thor and WW? Best effects? For lovely green screen and lovely Ares? Really? Lego Batman is the best action movie, period.

a reminder that John Wick 2 came out this year

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around just how visually illiterate someone would have to be to think the family in MoS got vaporized, rather than saved :psyduck:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Phylodox posted:

Come on. With the benefit of repeated viewings and freeze frame, yeah, but even the people saying they did survive were iffy about the details. One moment of them crouching amidst some rubble where they’re clearly not the focus of attention? How is it strange that people who’ve only seen the movie once might miss that?

Who gives a poo poo if you see them afterwards or not? It's, like, the entire point of the scene, that he kills Zod to save them. I'm not talking about people missing a shot, I'm talking about a much more basic failure in cognition and ability to process film language.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Hey guys I found this glaring editing mistake in Videodrome. Max Renn is pointing a gun to his temple and the film cuts to black just before we hear a gunshot. For all we know, he missed!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

LesterGroans posted:

Why would they do that though? It's communicated perfectly fine. This guy on Twitter is literally the first time I've ever seen someone confused about whether the family lived.

I, for one, was very confused by the shower scene in Psycho. I mean, we don't actually see the knife penetrating Janet Leigh's skin and going into her body. Did she just die of a heart attack or something?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Phylodox posted:

We do, actually.

Maybe you're just bad at watching movies.

Yes, someone who thought Janet Leigh died of a heart attack in Psycho would, in fact, be bad at watching movies. I'm...not sure what you think you're responding to here.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Hm.

I typically don't like when people talk about things in movies being "earned" but this was pretty good.

I'd be a lot more forgiving of Guardians 2 if it had actually made me laugh. When a comedy isn't funny, everything else is almost irrelevant.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Well it's 9/11 on a mostly empty building of government spooks fighting an internal coup but yeah I get what you're saying.

I, for one, am appreciative of Marvel's attempt to reclaim kamikaze attacks for the white man.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

you'd better put me on whatever weird tape trading listserv you're using to distribute this

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Nasgate posted:

I was immediately taken out of my suspension of disbelief by Clark watching a KU football game. Whoever wrote MoS hasnt spent any time with a kansan.

why would anyone want to spend time with a Kansan if they could help it

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

McSpanky posted:

I guess all those women and girls that made WW such a success were... what? Wrong about their own sense of empowerment and representation? Idiot dupes for the corporate profit gristmill? Traitors to the cause?

"they just have really lovely taste in movies" is an equally valid explanation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

McSpanky posted:

Except not because WW was pretty good.

Speaking of lovely taste in movies.

:ironicat:

• Locked thread