Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
I would've preferred a 300 treatment of Sherman's March, but sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Boob Marley posted:

Only comparing the two big Cinematic Universes here.
Nolan's trilogy got wiped out with the advent of Batfleck and none of its glory counts towards the current universe.

why is this even a thing

does anyone really care about the "cinematic universe" stuff? like I get people like the movies, but they barely interact anyway, its like the weird arguments about star wars canon

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

^^^Haha, game time :munch:

Boob Marley posted:

Especially when one seems to be seriously sucking wind.

oh snap here we go someone threw shade on man of steel in cined

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

I hope they subvert themselves and Black Panther shoots them both.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

what is with you and universes

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

blade and man of steel are def the two best comic book movies

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

what's moronic about basing their cinematic universe off of a movie that was a financial success?

because their NINCOMPOOPS!!

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

Corek posted:

I was once told it's because the Marvel movies are feminine and the DC movies are aggressively masculine. Don't agree.

really? I thought one of the reasons people were mad because clark was too girly and his fathers weren't wise and all-knowing enough

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

and 'grimdark.'

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

Boob Marley posted:

Please list the things about Man of Steel that you really enjoyed, and that are your basis for rating it as a good or even great movie.
Even if it's just something nebulous like "it made me feeeeeeeel some stuff". I'll take it.

I'm really curious, but I feel the opposite, and I want to the know if there's something I missed, or overlooked, or interpreted in a wildly different way.

Its a bold faced condemnation of the sanitized violence of modern blockbusters and has quite successfully made everyone super conscious of it, considering the latest avengers film. Granted Whedon felt that repeating EVERYONES OKAY DONT WORRY was the best course of action for this, but that can hardly be blamed on MoS.

thats one

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

Boob Marley posted:

No! I will loving force you to care! Acknowledge that BvS has incredible potential to the be the one that breaks the back of DC's artistic and creative integrity! Do it or I'll Zod your fuckin' rear end!

ignoring your thoughts on mos for a moment, are you implying that the mcu has 'creative and artistic integrity' because lol its the most franchise franchise to ever franchise

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

Boob Marley posted:

Again, you're drat right it is. And it's a successful franchise because it delivers on a slew of little things that people love and enjoy. It's not a successful franchise because it runs roughshod over what people know and love about the characters, it's successful because it gives fans of the source material a pay off without excluding general audiences. MoS did neither. You can call Marvel Studios a big evil money machine all day long, but the means of their success, the way in which they accumulate such wealth and success, has had everything to do with the quality of their content. Starbucks is everyone's favorite big-bag company to hate on because they've permeated the earth with their stores. Well, they got that way for a reason - their coffee is good.
They're successful because they took a risk with Iron Man and have been playing it safe ever since, I'm not questioning their financial success I'm questioning that they have 'creative and artistic integrity.'

Case in point, they're like ten movies in and still don't have a black and/or female lead film.

justdan posted:

Yeah, I hate when Superheroes in Superhero Movies actually, you know, save people!

I want some *realism* and real "unsanitized" violence in my film about an alien demigod in blue spandex and red cape fighting other aliens!

he saved the world

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

Boob Marley posted:

Yes, that would just be so bold. Having a black and/or female lead is ipso facto artistic and creative.

In Hollywood, it kind of is. Hollywood is racist and misogynist as gently caress. Challenging that status quo, particularly when you're a huge 'brand' like Marvel Studios is a bold statement. Look at the reactions to the new Star Wars film.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

Touche, I honestly forgot about IM3. :shobon:

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

tbh I'm willing to cut DC some slack on being so tentative with making a Wonder Woman film specifically because she has a ton of symbolic value to people as a feminist icon and if you gently caress up a WW movie its not like making a bad Batman or Superman where people just shrug and wait for the next one, a bad WW film would be a loving landmine of bad press.

still no excuse for not doing other woman-led films tho

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

As another contrast, the verisimilitude of the Dark Knight films (which are, of course, much more absurd and humorous than gripey fans tend to recall) allowed them to function as satires. There's none of this dour "it's all fun and games until..." chastisement.

some days you just cant get rid of a bomb

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

Scyantific posted:

I thought Lord and Miller left because of scheduling issues.

Also George Miller is still producing, last I checked.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

Detective Dog Dick posted:

ULTRON: Iron man you have poopy pants and I hate you.

“Is it perfect? It is not,” said Whedon. “Is it me? It's so baldly, nakedly me. To do something that is as personal as this movie is — on that budget, for a studio that needs a summer tentpole — is an extraordinary privilege.”

I honestly have no idea how to even begin processing that.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

bring back old gbs posted:

Your admitted mental health issues prevent you from approaching this from an objective point of view. Every comparison you have made so far has been laughably off base.

jesus christ

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

After all, we only have five full length movies of him

yeah but not in the new CINEMATIC UNIVERSE

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

computer parts posted:

Do people see films repeatedly?

I'm honestly curious about this too. Like I know Star Wars nerds will see Star Wars films like three times on the first week, but I always figured most people see a film once, maybe twice in theaters.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

PUMPKIN! FETCH ME MY BLUE WINDBREAKER!

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

Cage is the hero we deserve

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

Yoshifan823 posted:

He's also saying that the unannounced event film WB is working on is The Tomb Raider, which I completely buy, especially if they've got Daisy Ridley onboard.

She basically Harrison Ford 2.0 at this point :allears:

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

Electromax posted:

What's the average action film? Con Air?

Con Air is anything but average. :colbert:

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

Peter Travers in Rolling Stone posted:

'Iron Man 2' knows how to jump the hurdles and have you smacking your lips for more.

that sure is a metaphor

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

The Movie Fight for these two films is going to be awesome.

I'm so excited for this.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

I really appreciate that "Highly accomplished roller-skater" is listed above her superpowers on her list of abilities.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

Batman's reflexive little "woah, buddy" gesture as the gas wears off when he's punching Superman was def one of my favorite gags I've seen in a superhero film in a while

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

Yeah I mean Zizek of all people isn't going to condemn food choices. The man literally eats garbage.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

My top 3 Marvel movies.

1: Blade
2: Blade 2
3: Gonna put Blade on here again

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

dublish posted:

DC’s nascent cinematic universe has so far depicted Superman as an angry god; a violent, alien entity that needs to be kept in check.

ahaha holy poo poo

Edit: What movie did they see, and can I get tickets for it?

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

No can of spring-loaded snakes, not my Joker!

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Would Bat socks made change your mind?

Oh my god thats amazing

I hope Joker sells batmerch on his etsy shop

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

The only problem with that casting is it dashes my hopes for a Goldblum Riddler.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

Please keep the Trump posts in D&D

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

Oh my god I'm so excited for this!

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

Gonna be honest, when first read that headline I thought Dope was just an adjective.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Jeff Goldblum gave an interview with a few details on his role in Thor 3.

http://moviepilot.com/posts/3955063...n-thor-ragnarok

Main bits:

- He expects to be on set filming for about a month. Hinting that Grandmaster has a fairly large amount of screentime for a supporting character.
- He has a partial script, but Taika Waititi is encouraging him to improvise the role.
- His role is a sort of dark comedy role to balance out the more serious Hela and Skurge.

Asked to describe the character and how he will play him, he says:

:allears: There is no way this movie can fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I hope the first thing you see coming out of a boom tube is Granny Goodness.

Played by Ed Asner, of course.

• Locked thread