Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Electromax
May 6, 2007

Jerkface posted:

Yea but ya can't just stop there! Theres lots of ppl out there who want/need representation. I'm white bread and find the glut of white movie protagonists/video game protagonists loving boring. And as the father of a biracial daughter I'd love to see more diverse casts in gender & race.

I hope the Wonder Woman & Aquaman movies kill it. More female lead movies, more ethnic actors for heroes. TFA is one of the movies i cant wait for her to experience because Rey owns, Disney/Kathleen Kennedy did really good to bring those characters to the universe.

Black Panther isn't until 2018 but he's been getting singled out as awesome in the early Captain America 3 reactions. Hopefully he'll continue to be one of the marquees after the original dudes retire after Avengers 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
What's the average action film? Con Air?

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I don't care much about the character arcs between the movies anyway if they ignore them in service of theoretically making the next film better as a result, but I also don't see Tony saying "do as I say, not as as I do" to be some huge unbelievable thing. The whole first movie has him saying "I'm shutting down the Stark weapons division effective immediately, <because I have invented a superior weapon that I will only allow myself to use and I am good, unlike Lockheed-Martin>".

You just know he'd change his tune overnight if the energy stuff didn't pan out and Stark Industries was going broke. There is also some vague argument to be made that if he had given the US Army suits after IM2, the NYC thing in Avengers would be over in 10 minutes after a swarm of 300 Iron Mans showed up on the scene instead of just one - maybe he is doubting himself more than he has before.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

site posted:

I kinda wish marvel hadn't blown their load so early with iron man by extending phase 1 and having two iron man movies out of a three movie contract happen before anything major occurs universe wise. We could've really used another im movie after aou.

I think before AoU, there were other plans for Cap 3 and the progression of the movies. There were lots of articles post-IM3 about RDJ being tired, Avengers 2 and maybe 3 all that he had left on contract, them trying everything they could for IM4. Then it rapidly came out that Cap 3 and IM4 were sort of becoming one movie? I was pretty surprised that RDJ was adding another one to his slate, maybe it means he won't appear in IW as much as otherwise (at least in the flesh).

Electromax
May 6, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Why doesn't he just powerbomb Natasha?

Why doesn't he use his robot arm to just rip her esophagus out like in Road House?

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

Does this mean someone dies, but we don't find out who until Infinity War?

It means everyone here is the walking dead, trying to light the dying flame of a soulless husk through engagement with blockbuster cinema.

Neo Rasa posted:

Early reviews were the typical this is the greatest thing ever because it's not total crap oh my God everyone in it is so cool kind of stuff.

Guy A. Person posted:

"Bang! Pow! Comic movies aren't just for kids anymore!"

Here's the first 2 I found when I googled 'Iron Man 2 early review' (I don't remember much buzz about it, but I didn't see a marvel movie until Avengers - couldn't believe people liked Iron Man 1 before I actually saw it):

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/iron-man-2-film-review-29527

quote:

Well, that didn't take long. Everything fun and terrific about "Iron Man," a mere two years ago, has vanished with its sequel.

In its place, "Iron Man 2" has substituted noise, confusion, multiple villains, irrelevant stunts and misguided story lines. A film series that started out with critical and commercial success will have to settle for only the latter with this sequel; Robert Downey Jr.'s return as Tony Stark/Iron Man will assure that.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/iron-man-2-worlds-first-217237

quote:

What none of realised was that another disaster was about to unfold in front of our eyes, for Iron Man 2 is a travesty – a mind-numbingly dull, chaotic and often unwatchable muddle. It might even be the ultimate masterclass in how not to make a movie.

Given the strength of part one, the sequel is not just a terrific failure but a terrific disappointment.

It ended up around 70% so they weren't all bad, but not everyone just gave it a free pass.

e: Hard to tell if these are actually early reviews since they have updated timestamps - maybe better metric if people care would be finding people who wrote good/bad review for X you agree with and look at their other reviews as individuals, since the publication probably varies quite a bit taste-wise.

Electromax fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 18, 2016

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Fun little ad campaign.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I wish they were making Rita a freaky alien witch who isn't a human in a costume at all, like a mix of Predator and the Alien Queen and the stretched-faced bit from Beetlejuice.

From AV Club today, in case you're interested in some post-mortem comments evven though the guy is pretty hated around here:
http://www.avclub.com/article/joss-whedon-sorry-he-was-so-open-about-marvel-exec-235523

quote:

"Ultron, I’m very proud of. There were things that did not meet my expectations of myself and then I was so beaten down by the process. Some of that was conflicting with Marvel, which is inevitable and a lot of that was about my own work and I was also exhausted, and we right away went and did publicity. I created the narrative—wherein I’m not quite accomplished—and people just ran with (about Ultron) ‘Well it’s OK, it could be better, but it’s not Joss’ fault’ and I think that did a disservice to the movie, and to the studio and to myself. Ultimately, it wasn’t the right way to be because I’m very proud about it."

“The things about it that are wrong frustrate me enormously,” Whedon says, “but I got to make an absurdly personal movie about humanity and what it means in a very esoteric and bizarre ways for hundreds of millions of dollars. The fact that Marvel gave me that opportunity twice is so bonkers and beautiful and the fact that I come off as a miserable failure is also bonkers, but not in a cute way.”

He says he hasn’t closed the door on taking another Marvel project in the future, even though he’s very happy working on his current mysterious non-Marvel ideas. Deadline has more quotes from both Whedon and Ruffalo, including the actor saying he begged Whedon to make “Avengers 3 and 4, Hulk 3, Thor 3 and Quasimodo.”

Surprised about that last bit, I kind of assumed the actors more put up with him than embraced him. Evans doesn't seem to be a fan. I wonder what % of the fan noise that reaches Whedon's ears is of the superfan variety and what % are the attitudes of 'you are the worst ever'. I imagine he gets a lot of both, but might not let things roll off very easily.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Flash/ReverseFlash and Aquaman/OceanMaster could be the pretty standard 'intro film includes guy with the same powers' that superhero movies love. Dunno anything about Aqua though (and Flash either really, never seen the show), what does an Aquaman movie look like? Is it all underwater? Does he talk to humans on the surface? Does he stab Lex's sub camera because he's a feral ocean dweller who doesn't understand technology?

...ok, Wiki suggests he's just a regular dude for the most part. Huh, I always assumed he was a magical merman or something.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I usually recommend my friends NOT watch movies that I think are awful.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
"your bad behavior"

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Well if you remove the word leaked, you'll get less silent judgement. But the movie is in theaters now.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Burkion posted:

Yeah who needs exciting well shot and inventive action scenes

Putting those on auto pilot in an action movie is totally fine

Next time it would be cool if they had their civil war while going down a log flume at disney world.

Electromax fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Apr 28, 2016

Electromax
May 6, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Thinking about Guardians of the Galaxy is easy. I just recently thought "what ever happened to that movie?"

It'll be a hot nostalgia item in 2034 when today's kiddies hit 30.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Some people should never get sober.

Seriously. If they ever deserved to be born to begin with. Top chump indeed

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The studio wasn't into his Flash vs Werewolves direction?

Electromax
May 6, 2007
When the box office numbers start trickling in people get like...

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I felt like BvS suffered from all the JL stuff (especially the surveillance video bit) and would've preferred to see Snyder do Man of Steel 2 without those elements. Not sure how that reconciles with everyone's favorite parts of BvS being Batman and WW though - Superman having more space to himself would've helped his presence. It's like the anti-Iron Man 2 where the tie-in prep for subsequent movie universes went over better than the sequel components to the original movie. Wonder how much Snyder wanted those elements in there to that extent, common opinion seems to be that he has much more control than for example the Marvel directors do but he also bit off a bit too much plot for the time he had if that's the case - Director's Cuts notwithstanding. I'd be mildly surprised if he volunteered all the WW/Doomsday stuff at the expense of the Clark Kent scenes.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

This is just something that doesn't hold up to scrutiny. People are still debating Man of Steel, like they will continue to debate BvS. These are the few superhero movies that will be remembered beyond their release year.

Don't disagree re: Snyder, but not every superhero movie gets to star Superman either. I like the Hellboy movies quite a bit and they have an intriguing director but no one ever remembers those. People (*internet people) debate about Ang Lee's Hulk and Whedon's Avengers all the time though.

Electromax fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 30, 2016

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Jenny Angel posted:

the implication that one of Clark's most important victories is putting some background momentum behind those kinds of unspoken reforms to the labor and criminal justice systems.

If Clark's presence leads to subtle societal shifts that dampen the scope of tragedies - not as many people died this time because we closed down Riker's and we stopped overworking people as much

the presence of a superheroic figure might inspire us to reconfigure our societies such that catastrophic loss is less a part of the expected equation

I dunno, there were only "dozens killed". If we didn't shift society thanks to the 9/11 firemen, doubt a CEO is changing their profit projections for one guy and 1/12th the casualties.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Doomsday grabs a nearby civilian and bodily tears them in half, spraying red mist onto his jowls as he begins to swing the ragged lump of legflesh into Wonder Woman's shield, leaving behind grisly smears. Batman leans over, pulls back his cowl and vomits.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The only god-tier comic to me is Calvin & Hobbes. All it got was a documentary though.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Still looked better than Avengers Hulk.

For me 03 Hulk looks too much like he goes on a package of frozen vegetables. I dunno, it's hard to describe... like the bottom one would just look like a roided-out Ruffalo if you changed his skin tone to flesh, whereas the top one would be a weird Dreamworks character.

03 is better here, these two are pretty similar.

I've only seen each of these once almost a decade ago though.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Might be missing something obvious here, but why would they ever consider hiring Snipes again after what sounds like a fiasco filming Blade 3? I thought he went off the deep end then, and that was before he was in prison for like 3 years.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
You guys already said it, but my mental reaction to that was 'of course high school kids think he's annoying, he's a popular center-of-attention high school kid by way of sarcasm and shrill class clownism.' That archetype isn't cool if you're dealing with it daily in real life.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Shageletic posted:

This is has already probably been addressed but audience's don't really respond to the quality of a movie itself, they respond to the quality of the previous movie in the franchise.

Seems like Ultron would've depressed the excitement for this movie a bit more in that case. Isn't it doing pretty well despite the previous one being generally accepted as one of the worst Marvel movies thus far?

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I thought he was quite charming. Just got stuck in some clunky movies. I enjoyed little pieces of the Electro stuff and the overall look they had going quite a bit, it's too bad. Liked what I saw from the new actor as well... just find Spidey some better writing please.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Looking forward to the movie fight between Witchy Woman Wanda fingers and Dr. Strange hand contortions.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

Judging by both times they aged Peggy, not particularly well.

I thought that looked really good, and I didn't like the Douglas/Downey de-aging as much as many did. I thought they both had a weird disconnect between their cheeks/face and their mouth movements, like it was someone else's mouth.

Here's the writeup of the rather involved way they accomplished it:
https://www.fxguide.com/featured/captain-america-the-winter-soldier-reaching-new-heights/

e: one of the few genuinely touching scenes in a Marvel movie, IMO.

Electromax fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 12, 2016

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Roland Emmerich will be free once ID4-2 comes out.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

So ID4 is independence day 4th? Where's the July?

"ID4" was the brand logo they marketed the original movie with. Google suggests this was born from a preproduction license dispute with the name "Independence Day" alone when WB was unsure if they could use that title, and the abbreviation stuck once it got resolved.

Lump it in with GCN being shorthand for a Nintendo GameCube.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
So they expected people to buy action figures of Guy Pearce and Ben Kingsley from that movie? They couldn't have put a female in the completely made-up "final mandarin tank battle" lego set?

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Lego 'Malibu Mansion Attack' boxed set had a Pepper Potts minifig, she's even wearing the Iron Man armour on the front of the box while Tony is getting his rear end kicked:

I just meant the argument that the IM3 villain couldn't be a woman because people wouldn't buy action figures, when they didn't even create male characters conducive to action figures in the first place. It was just a Guy in a business suit and essentially a stoner in a robe.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Harley must cleanse the streets and defeat a Batgirl that is branding criminals and getting them killed in prison.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Oh I'm sure he will be fine. But the contempt against him is getting kind of creepy and it baffles me, people are short of saying the guy is in a personal crusade to destroy everything they hold dear or something.

Happened with Whedon too. People would actually post pictures of just him personally and go lol fat. Of course Michael Bay has always drawn it. Internet nerd rage is not baffling anymore, it's always happening somewhere.

It's not a personal Snyder thing, some people just like complaining. Someone posted a link in the BvS thread to that DC article specifically bolding the bit praising Civil War, it was transparently posted just to rile the same people up rather than discuss the actual topic of the article. Toss in the ever present internet exaggeration machine and...

e: haha should've read ahead, the post about how someone can only dislike Snyder because he is in better shape than them pairs nicely with the Whedon example. Comic critics thrive on ad hominem with their authors.

Electromax fucked around with this message at 12:03 on May 18, 2016

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I

HIJK posted:

Do we know anything about Spider Man: Homecoming besides RDJ being in it?

Feige said that The Wall is going to be the main villain, IIRC.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Pretty much every MoS fan would give that a chance, actually. One side is willing to accept various interpretations of the character. The other is not.

There does seem to be an undercurrent among many MoS proponents that his traditional depiction of nigh-faultless morality and perfect ability is no longer compelling though. Never seen the Donner movies* so maybe they aren't that, but that seems to be the implication of the post you responded to. At least if it's at the expense of more mature/realistic/balanced/humanistic/whatever you'd call it studies that MoS is a part of. OR maybe put another way, it would still be a bummer if the DC films were homogenized to have the same tone as for example the MCU movies - I'd give it a chance but at that point I'd rather watch RDJ over Cavill if the character beats aren't there.

*Sorry thread! never found him an interesting character until MoS made him seem more fallible/touchable.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Thing is, that Superman who exercises nigh-faultless morality and perfect ability... doesn't really exist. He never has. Even All-Star Superman is not perfect.

Well, whatever the standard "other" version that brought people to complain about MoS. My only other exposure to the guy is on Lois and Clark (hehe), that just seems to be the commonly assumed alternate depiction.

I also read Kingdom Come but mostly just admired the artwork.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Wheany posted:

The turtles were just suits worn by acrors?? :stonk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz3m_7ozhNo

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I'm surprised gamification isn't employed more openly in showing your "grind" for credit points in bright colors on the Discover website. Trick people into more consumption with meaningless badges.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Haha, yeah. Nice Halloween costume, jackass.

If someone as bulky as Affleck wore it and it had the huge fake pecs/abs that the BvS suit had, it would be fine. The Snyder and Nolan suits look stupid in full lighting too, the Snyder suit is basically that design with roofing paper glued on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007

mr. stefan posted:

I love that people genuinely think this is how spandex works.

That it stretches wider when wider arms/thighs/torso are in it?

If you mean not contouring to muscles, that was the fake muscles part.

• Locked thread