Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Codependent Poster posted:

Is WB happy with "fine" though?

It's not likely it's going to make as much as either Avengers movie.

Like, this is a movie with 3 of the biggest comic book characters ever, and it's not going to surpass Iron Man 3. I figure there's gotta be some disappointment on their end.

It's doing the best of any movie featuring either Batman or Superman. It took Iron Man time to build up too, which is why you're having to compare it to the third, fourth, and sixth movies in his series to suggest it's doing poorly, rather than the first or second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

It will probably not beat out The Dark Knight or The Dark Knight Rises.

It opened bigger than either both domestically and worldwide, but I guess we'll see.

Guy A. Person posted:

If their expectations were that they were going to outperform a franchise that has been building since 2008 just by throwing Batman and Superman into a movie I feel like those were poorly managed expectations.

Yeah, people are like "3 of the biggest comic book characters ever," and I kinda react like people are claiming that the Fred movie should have been massive because he's one of the biggest YouTube stars of all time.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

So I don't get your argument either way. Either Batman and Superman's prior films don't count and you have to treat it like nobody ever heard of them before, or you should count their films because they each have had at least three, four, or six movies with them as the leads.

It's not cleanly one or the other. Movies featuring a character named "Batman" have existed before, but it's not this Batman. So you get some of the benefits (and drawbacks) of a sequel, but not all of them. So the movie showing up somewhere between Iron Man as a fully-established character and Iron Man as a relatively-obscure character seems about right. BvS is performing in the ballpark of what you'd expect.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Viller posted:

Who wants to see Batfleck fight scarecrow or the riddler after he beat superman and helped beat Doomsday? Its a no contest, not that it really ever was.

Plenty of people enjoying Captain America fighting a dude with a mechanical arm after he helped take down a massive army of aliens led by a god. Many of us preferred it. And get this, in both cases the latter was when he was teamed-up with another god, whereas in the former he was mostly on his own.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Viller posted:

Winter Soldier was Captain America's equal, pretty much. Not a living god. Avengers beat loki and ultron, not Cap by himself...

Right, and Batman had help in BvS, which he wouldn't in a solo movie, just like Cap going from Avengers to Winter Soldier, like I said in my post.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

BvS's first Sun-Wed domestic box office numbers were significantly lower than The Dark Knight or The Dark Knight Rises. In fact its first Sunday, Monday and Wednesday numbers were worse than Deadpool's and it only did slightly better than 'Pool on Tuesday. Of course it's WAY too early to draw conclusions on that, we'll have to wait until the numbers for the second weekend at least are in before we can start predicting trends.

I guess we'll see.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
nevermind

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 3, 2016

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Ferrinus posted:

I'm in the exact opposite boat. As far as I can tell, Suicide Squad is already hilarious, being that it features a crocodile man, swamp witch, katana-using street samurai literally named "Katana", etc. The actual quippy dialogue was probably the most grating and least funny part of the trailers I've seen.

Yeah, Harley's dialog is awful, while boomerang drinking his beer is actually funny.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Steve2911 posted:

The worse Harley's dialogue is, the happier I'll be.

If they can work an honest to god "Mistah Jay" in there I'll piss in my seat.

Like any number of David Ayers films, her being awful could be used to good effect, but her whole voices-in-her-head bit is impressively painful in an otherwise fun trailer.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 3, 2016

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Slugworth posted:

It's one of those bits of dialogue that genuinely make me feel embarrassed for the actor. Her 'we're bad guys' line isn't much better. Otherwise though, pretty hyped.

Yeah, I'm pumped, if just because it's an Ayers film.

net cafe scandal posted:

Got to agree my man.

This is so dry I've got to get a drink :tipshat:

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Davros1 posted:

I'm confused. All the Marvel movies are bad now in the light of BvS?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

This seems like sour grapes considering Marvel movies are far more financially and critically successful.

It's a parody of boosterism, including specifically the sort that is invested in the financial success of the products.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I've never really gotten why the character is a bow guy. Like, Katniss uses a bow because she could make it herself in a society where she couldn't buy a gun. She gains a skill operating as a poacher, which the state attempts to co-opt into mass entertainment, that she then reclaims as a symbolic representation of being an outlaw and rebel. With Hawkeye it feels like an affectation, like if Black Widow rode everywhere on one of those bicycles with the giant front wheel.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

That Batman guy also has a thing for bats for some reason. Like, wtf?

Given that Batman has an exhaustively explored reason for associating himself with bats, I'm assuming that this sarcasm means that there's something obvious about Hawkeye I've missed, so would you mind filling me in?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The original thing of Clint Barton being a skirt chasing carny who gave up his life of crime because he was inspired by Captain America was really good characterization. Stan Lee's dialog was clunky as hell but he had very clear ideas for characters.

That does sound entertaining. And, yeah, I figured there'd be something like this, but to put it mildly, I don't think it comes across in the films in the character. As compared to, since Batman has been brought up, the bat demon that shows up in Batman Begins and Batman v Superman.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Yeah, I thought Colin Farrell was a lot of fun as Bullseye.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I actually like the idea that anyone who's proficient with a stupid weapon gets to be an Avenger. It's very 'Mystery Men'.

That part is is fun, though, of course, in Mystery Men, the Shoveler actually gets some dialog about what it means for him to use a shovel, how it aligns him with ordinary people who are "super good at their jobs but never get any credit."

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Bedshaped posted:

I wonder what kind of story could they tell with standalone Batman. Isn't he pretty much at the end of his career with this latest TDKR inspired story?

A master criminal looking to pull one last job is a classic crime story.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Steve2911 posted:

Since they implied in BvS that the heyday of Batman's career (with all the colourful, well known supervillains) is pretty much behind him, it would be nice if they made a movie about a slightly less famous (in movie circles) story, or had him straight up fighting gangsters.

I'd actually say it's the opposite. My impression is he's been dealing with gangster and masked-up humans like the Joker or Two Face (i.e., the Nolan movies). Suicide Squad suggests that the arrival of Superman is bringing around a time of active super-freaks. We could get Poison Ivy, Clayface, etc.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Thwomp posted:

I took the early parts of BvS as implying that prior to Supes, he had gone into semi-retirement. He kept tabs on the underworld, but after whatever happened to Robin, he stopped doing the nightly Batman thing.

Then Metropolis happened and starting Batmaning it up again, with branding this time to announce his return. Why else would the newspapers treat the branding stuff as like this new thing?

Oh, I agree with all this. I'm saying my impression is that the style of villain he'd been fighting during his active career was more like the Nolan trilogy than the wilder supernatural stuff, which Suicide Squad suggests is now going to become more of a thing.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
For people who didn't watch the video, Jai Courtney says the shooting is to add more action, not jokes, because it's already very fun. And Jai Courtney is too boring to lie to you.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Yeah, he's solid in Jack Reacher.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

He's naturally quite charming but it's like he has stage fright or something. I've never seen him in anything where he didn't flat out suck, but then again Ayer made me happy to see Sam Worthington.

I'd assume 90% of his attention is constantly focused on not having an Australian accent.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Jack of Hearts posted:

The Nolan films are "dark gritty 'realistic'" Batman, though. Given the amount of effort put into justifying the Batmobile, it's not crazy to ask for the Joker to have some internal logic.

This is a contrast, not an inconsistency.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Kurzon posted:

How does the Joker get all these gangsters and corrupt cops to work for him when he is clearly not interested in making money and is a terrorist with no ideology?

The guy gives speeches about the nature of systemic violence and is explicitly invested in challenging the system that normalizes it. He's got an ideology.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Kurzon posted:

Ideologues want to establish some form of order

Not necessarily. Not if that's not what their ideology drives them to.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Kurzon posted:

Okay, maybe the Joker does or does not have an ideology. That's beside the point. The point is that the gangsters and corrupt cops who join the Joker have no sensible reason to do so. They won't profit in any way from the Joker's terrorism and they'll be hunted down to the ends of the Earth by the American government.

The criminals at the start of the film join him on a conventional bank robbery (they don't even find out they're robbing the mob until the end) and only one of them figures out, by the very end of it, that the logic that the other guys are disposable applies to him as well. They're motivated by greed, and the Joker turns this against them by using their greed to get them to kill each other.

The gang leaders turn to the Joker in an attempt to counter the Batman's efforts to take them down. He offers them a service and they think they're money is enough to buy it, the way it buys them everything else.

The corrupt cops think the Joker is just another crime boss like Maroni, given that he gets access to them through his connections. They've been fooled by decades of systemic corruption into thinking that it's just another part of the status quo. And eventually, of course, they're personally terrified of the Joker and think that cooperating with him might spare them or their loved ones.

And then there's the straight-up lunatics he recruits, who don't need a "sensible reason."

The guy's shtick is working the system and then blowing it up on the way out once it's too late for anyone to stop him.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

net cafe scandal posted:

I believe the Joker directly addresses this as he burns the money.

Yeah, he's moved past pretending to be an ordinary criminal at that point, since he's already got his asylum-escapees and is manipulating the gangs and Maroni's corrupt cops through fear.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
The Joker is intensely charismatic in The Dark Knight. It's not really that surprising he's able to get people rejected by society to join him in tearing it down. We don't need to see it happen.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Tom Hardy's vocal performance may be my favorite thing about that movie, and I like it in general.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I'd have liked it more if I could understand half of what he was saying.

Yeah, was never an issue for me :shrug:

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Corek posted:

This is the only photo extant online of him, taken 30 years ago:

All the other Google Images results are of Alan Horn or Kevin Feige or Stan Lee.

I'd probably be self-conscious about having my picture taken too if I'd lost a foot to it being run over with a lawnmower.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Slugworth posted:

I mean, I'm not calling you a liar, but there's no. drat. way. There will be exactly as long a delay as there has ever been between films starring Iron Man. Nobody who can print money this year is gonna wait until next year to print it.

I'm sort of curious whether the draw is Iron Man or Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man, though I'm suspicious as well of how long they'll be willing to wait to find out.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Mars4523 posted:

Why are we calling it a mixed critical reception? There was no mixed critical reception to Batman v Superman, it was negative.

The overall reactions were negative, but the response to the Batman and Wonder Woman elements were positive, with Superman continuing to be the divisive figure. The movie itself may be underperforming, but the franchise growth the movie is supposed to achieve went fine. If the movie had managed to sour people on Batman, then that might have gotten Zack Snyder ejected. Instead, the follow-up was already set to focus on the two breakout characters.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Maybe Batman's smaller because it's a flashback to earlier in his career.

Pictured, Bruce Wayne in the nineties:

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Gyges posted:

Anyone holding a history of substance abuse against the actor set to play Tony Stark isn't actually a comic fan.

Yeah, I'm sure there's dipshits who were against his getting the part, but I recall seeing it discussed as being inspired casting at the time.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Snowman_McK posted:

This was definitely true after the first trailer. But considering what a miserable prick Stark was in the comics at the time, it seemed an odd choice until it was clear what they were doing with it.

Again, I'm sure there was people for whom this was the case, but there were plenty who made the RDJ / Demon in a Bottle connection immediately upon the casting announcement. There's always people who hate a casting choice.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

TFRazorsaw posted:

You're free to disagree if you want.

Oh thank god.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Rhyno posted:

And also free to thank god if you want.

God bless America.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Man remember when Guardians of the Galaxy created the completely original idea of crazy antics to the tune of classic rock
Truly comic book movies have changed cinema.

Sort of crazy that was created by the same film that invented the ensemble picture.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I don't quite get the hate for Age of Ultron when Avengers is right there, being even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Basebf555 posted:

Avengers had novelty working in its favor. "Holy poo poo look at all these heroes on the screen at once, and its a Real Movie, not some kid's cartoon!"

The X-Men movies were a decade earlier.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

yeah neither movie is great but AoU shows significant improvements in character writing, acting & cinematography. it's still, like, a B- movie, tops, but it was at least a step up.

Exactly. It's more competent at basically everything, and you've also got James Spader.

• Locked thread