Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Green Hornet

Why did you include this good movie???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Sounds like the X-Men post-credits scene teases Mister Sinister. So he'll probably be the villain in the sequel or the Gambit movie.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Not a movie, but the first 4 minutes of Preacher are on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbDzU5vgApM

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Scyantific posted:

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2016/05/19/x-men-apocalypses-jennifer-lawrence-reveals-why-fox-should-be-te/

J-Law saying that she, McAvoy, and Fassbender are a "package deal now."

Holy poo poo can she be any more full of herself?

How is she in any way wrong?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

The MSJ posted:

Speaking of TV, here is Dan Stevens as the title character in FX's Legion.

I was wondering what the hell he's doing back on TV, but if it's FX that's not too bad I guess.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I remember being a little perplexed about Simmons' casting, but that was before I saw Whiplash. I'm sure he'll probably have only a few scenes in Justice League, but I hope he's on board for the solo Batman movie as well.

I hope so too. I'm excited to see a solo Batman with Simmons, Affleck Jeremy Irons and possibly Jena Malone.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Hat Thoughts posted:

Hannibal Buress is gonna be in that Spiderman movie so now I'm marginally interested in the Spiderman movie

I'm really excited for the new Hannibal Burress, Donald Glover, Michael Keaton, Martin Starr joint.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Hat Thoughts posted:

Too bad none of those people are the Spiderman

Too bad they're not all Spider-Man.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Furthermore, every criminal Judge Dredd shoots is a cycle of crime ended.

yeah

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Literally The Worst posted:

but this is just some straight drive by poo poo posting

Pot v Kettle: Ultimate Edition

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Literally The Worst posted:

Hey man I had a point that wasn't just "lol u bad"

Just playing

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

4/8 Batman movies have shown his parents dying.

3/5 Spider-Man movies have shown Uncle Ben dying.

Let's get those numbers up.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Bale Batman still managed to kill some dudes even with his "code".

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

NikkolasKing posted:

I honestly missed the Robin costume scene. I don't remember that at all. I'm not the most observant guy.

My bad and I retract that criticism absolutely.

He sort of gives this bad boy a sad look

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

"everyone's favorite, Slipknot" is actually pretty funny.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Plus the problem with ASM2 want the way it looked. I loved that whole Times Square scene. It's the rest of the movie that sucks.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I kinda love that Slipknot has become this thread's mascot.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

The MSJ posted:

Gabriel Luna has been cast as Ghost Rider...

Oh, nice, a Ghost Rider Netflix series could be really-

The MSJ posted:

in Agents of Shield.

Oh.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

cvnvcnv posted:

I like AGENTS most of all Marvel's offerings :shrug: It moves between thematically light and heavy, goes to some very weird places, and things happen constantly.

This guy... is not my kind of guy.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Jai Courtney just isn't an actor who can make hay out of boring-rear end roles. That being said, when he's given something interesting to do he seems to be fun.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Davros1 posted:

I think Superman saying "Save my mother" would have been more powerful than "Save Martha". The whole film sets up Bats not being able to see anything other than Superman's alien nature. Having Superman, in his moment of death pleading with Batman, not to spare him, but save his mother instead, would have been just as effective, narrative wise, at snapping Bats out of her murder rage. He would see Superman, for the first time, as not someone alien, but as someone human, who has a mother that he holds above his own existence. Batman wasn't able to save his own mother, but now he could save someone else's.

Not really. He knows Superman has a mother. He even references Superman's parents earlier in the scene. That "Martha" bit is important not because it humanizes Superman but because it puts Batman in the shoes of the person who killed his own parents. Which makes your last sentence true.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

bring back old gbs posted:

But how does Superman know this again? Like what is his reasoning for using his own mothers name instead of "mom"? Who talks like that? A literal alien that probably deserves a chest spear. Or a writer trying to hamfist as hard as they can.

Superman doesn't know. But he hopes that Batman will try to help his Martha even if he does kill him. It's a little forced, but it's easy to see why he'd give an actual name instead of "Mom" if he thought he was gonna be a kabob in a minute.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

It is weird how much of a wiener Hoechlin looks in that suit. He seems like a pretty beefy guy in Everybody Wants Some!! I guess that's a TV budget for ya.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

teagone posted:

I'll admit he looks decent from the chest up. Full body shots make him look a bit slim. I guess he'll be alright on TV.

Would've been cool if they went full Cage/Burton with their Superman and hired some gangly gently caress to up the alien factor.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

If you think Civil War was a mess you should probably just stop watching superhero movies. They will never, ever satisfy you. Its easily the best superhero movie since Spider-man 2.

It isn't even the best superhero movie in its own trilogy.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

computer parts posted:

Strange how I hear this every year.

You didn't hear it in 2003. Check. Mate.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I think its fair to judge based on genre. It would be the same if I were to ask what some good romantic comedies were. I'm not asking which movies are objectively good, I'm asking which are the best among this genre. In the thread for the genre of movie in question no less.

Blade, X2, Spider-Man 2, Superman: The Movie, Batman, Batman Returns, Captain America, The Winter Soldier, Darkman, Fasts 5 through 7

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I know kids were just dying to see fancy dinner parties and closed room meetings between CEOs and senators. I think the most damning question anybody has asked about BvS is "Could you imagine a kid enjoying it?" The answer is a giant gently caress no, you don't even need to think about it. There are cool moments but they are spaced wayyyy too far apart. In between is a lot of adults talking and classical music playing. Like someone went down a list of "mature things adults do" and added that list to their movie so we would not accidentally mistake this for anything other than a mature adult super hero comic movie for grown ups. But that was also a list of "things that make a movie not fun" and it turns out adults want the fun part too.

Am I wrong? Do any of you have kids that enjoyed the movie, and not just 10 or so minutes of it?

While I don't necessarily disagree with much of this (except I don't really consider the question "could you imagine a kid enjoying this?" damning) I know kids who get bored by Age of Ultron or Incredible Hulk too. But they're like six or seven. I know kids around 10-12 who were into those and Batman V Superman. It's hard to make a generalization about "kids" and what they enjoy.

I also want to stress I don't just hang out with kids. I'm talking about nieces and nephews.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I wore out that section of my T2 VHS where Arnold rips off his arm skin in front of the Dyson family

gently caress yeah.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Electromax posted:

Not even the first time they've met in such a fashion:

He's the guy who looks like if Jon Hamm had come up through the Serbian mafia.

That guy's great in John Wick.

That movie is full of interesting, one or two scene goons.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

This is insane.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Guy A. Person posted:

I don't mind the shot too much but the scene itself is weird and ends so weird. Thor hits Cap's shield and you see him flying backwards and then they are all standing around like doofuses going like "woah we wrecked this forest guys lol....buds?" Then the scene cuts away.

People always cite the "kids smashing together action figures" but this does remind me of like kids who got in a fight and smashed their mother's lamp so they just stand there like "uh oh..." since they know they're in trouble now.

It's maybe the worst scene in the entire movie, which is saying something.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Zzulu posted:

Superman Returns is very bad. This is scientifically proven

Science sucks.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Sir Potato posted:

I think I've come to realize that the biggest crime of BvS is the complete lack of Michael Kelly.

I was absolutely looking out for him when I watched it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Crion posted:

Amy Adams and Henry Cavill are perfectly fine. Christian Bale and Katie Holmes, on the other hand,

Poor Katie Holmes.

Cillian Murphy acts circles around her in their few scenes together.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Batman has three defining traits in the comics and has for decades: 1) Wear Bat stuff 2) Best martial artist in the entire world 3) No killing. So yeah it is weird when suddenly they deviate for no obvious reason. It's not like Batman killing people in BvS added anything to the movie. In fact since nobody ever mentions the fact that he's doing it just says to me that Zack Snyder never read a comic book in his life.

It isn't sudden. Every live action Batman movie but maybe 3 of them have had Batman kill.

It also doesn't go unmentioned. A big part of Batman's storyline is that he's escalated.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Mortanis posted:

Are people arguing that Batman doesn't have a no kill rule, or that it shouldn't matter in a new interpretation?

That he can or can't have a no kill rule depending on the kind of story the filmmakers want to tell.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

MacheteZombie posted:

He hurts them badly

"That's gotta hurt!"

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

10 Beers posted:

Michelle Pfeiffer. :allears:

The best performance in a superhero movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Having again watched the car chase scene depicted by the above gifs, Batman executes the gently caress out of those people. And it's all pointless because he puts a tracker on their truck right before he executes them. Since he loses their trail thanks to Superman's interference, and he ended up using the tracker anyway, there's not a real reason for him to have executed those guys.

Do you have this issue with Die Hard or Raiders of the Lost Ark?

Also Batman hates guns because his parents were killed by a gun. Hell, Batman Beyond starts with Bruce giving up the mantle because he was placed in a position where he was forced to use a gun.

Actually he doesn't really seem to.

• Locked thread