Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Bob Quixote posted:

If we are talking ethnicity though, Montalban was born in Mexico but both of his parents were immigrants to the country from Spain. Are the Spanish not white? I've never really grasped what exactly falls under the umbrella of "whiteness".
I mean, there's light-dark racism in a bunch of countries, right? Like "white hispanics" being prejudiced against darker skinned ones. Basically IMO if you pass enough to get white privilege, considering it's all just a cultural/societal construct whose definition (in America) was altered and expanded over the years ANYWAY, then hey you're white. If you get the white perks within whatever society you exist in, you're white, since "white" is just bullshit anyway.

which means clearly this is the plot arc we deserve for the next punisher film adaptation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Gotta avoid vagueness when it comes to plastic surgeons
Now that we have TV's Luke Cage and TV's The Punisher, it's time to unite Obama's fractured America with a comic book movie story like that weird rear end Ice Cube show where they had creepy white to black/black to white transformations

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Hat Thoughts posted:

This is a stupid conversation but it's silly to say that racism exists only as a visual thing.
Like, ya no duh if you look white then you're gonna have an advantage and probably not get killed by a bored and/or rowdy police officer but like, especially in America racism is so deeply ingrained in our culture that if ur saying it's purely based on passing/not-passing you're ignoring the tons of ways racism has structurally destroyed/tortured so many ethnicities.
(But hell, maybe I'm only saying this bcuz I'm a mixed [black & Assyrian] guy who can pass as white [well, Jewish ])
Well yeah I'm just making a brief post about an aspect of whiteness in a comic book movie thread, this topic is deep enough to get lost in
Like your eyes

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Hahaha, what show is this? And are there any clips of the transformations?
It had a very imaginative name, man. "Black. White."
Somehow the only clips of it I can find online are of the theme song (kind of a mediocre Ice Cube song Imo) though...gj erasing the past Ice Cube :tinfoil:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Zeris posted:

Maybe they can hire George Lucas for help with ambiguous racist undertones
drat, I'd rather hire the people behind that racist rear end James Bond movie where James Bond gets "turned into a Japanese guy".

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

greatn posted:

HHH should play someone on the Agents of Shield civil war crossover.
Triple H is too good for Agents of Shield. It's gotta be a Thor movie at least
Or put him in Spider-Man as Uncle Ben (I don't know who they've already picked but you can just change that poo poo in post)

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
They've already hosed up the cosmic balance by casting a smoking hot Aunt May so why not

#notmymay
#aintmay

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

LGD posted:

attractive 50-something Aunt May has already been a thing for a decade and a half in Ultimate Spider-Man
Sorry but the only valid Aunt May I recognize is the aforementioned lich king up there
#dumamay

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
thass cold smg, thats cold

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
So En Sabah Nur definitely did 9/11, right?
Not to be racist (he said as he was) but he sounds like a dude you'd read about on a watchlist or read about being killed in a drone strike

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Gyges posted:

I do like rear end in a top hat Appocalypse though.

EN SABAH NUR: Oh, I assure you, Christopher, that everyone else is wrong. Your estimates that the Earth is 9,300 miles shorter in circumstance are accurate, I totally double checked your math.

EN SABAH NUR: *Chugs the last of the beer on the Mayflower* Now what will you do, Christopher Jones? [to one of his horsemen]Am I doomed to struggle with Christophers until the end of time?
It kind of makes him seem incompetent though. He's been up to this poo poo for thousands of years. Grow up bro. Achieve your goals on earth already and go terrorize outer space like the real big blue boys do
Or is this a League of Shadows sitch where his goal is to just show up every once in a while and cull populations

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
My issue with Ultron's puppet dance is that Terry Crews did it and did it better in a far more entertaining movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IMb8GFXHeI

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

bring back old gbs posted:

Is Gamer the one where Dexter is dancing around to showtunes at the end sending man after mind controlled man at Butler? That was awesome.
Also the one where an edgy horned up thirteen year old spastically puppeteers Milo Ventimiglia. It's basically the role Milo V was born for. On the whole it's still my favorite cinematic sendup of online communities/internet culture out there.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Rurea posted:

I want a Gamer 2 with Dwayne Johnson replacing gerard butler and sam rockwell instead of michael c hall.
only if sammy rocks keeps that delightfully theatrical accent. Michael C Hall should be a villain in a comic book movie already. If they're doing Green Lantern Corps my dream movie is a Lex Luthor Corps movie where a team of Lex Luthors from alternate realities team up and they're all weird esoteric campy performances of Luthor that piss off comic book purists and are all played by people you'd never expect as Luthor
So we'd have Piss Jar Luthor played by Eisenberg back of course and a Michael C Hall Luthor, maybe we could get Jimmi Simpson to play one, etc y'all get the idea.
I think this is a genius plan for box office success.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Comic Book Movie Thread: Do you know ANYTHING about the history of Power Rangers?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
If they gently caress up the live action Street Sharks movie lord help me I will poo poo my pants with righteous fury

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Man I gotta say the best part of Ant-Man was #makemichaeldouglasyoungagain why do I only ever see this technology wasted in small bits on comic book movies like that and X-Men Last Stand or whatever. Why aren't people rejuvenating great actors left and right and putting them in full length projects?
Have we not reached the technological peak where we can make Harrison Ford young and human again? Why even fool ourselves into thinking the mediocrity of Chris Pratt could ever be Han Solo or Indie? Just CGI that poo poo up man.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Xealot posted:

Sure, but I'd think the main barrier is getting a hot-poo poo actor to commit to one role for a decade of their career. As I understand it, Joaquin Phoenix passed on Dr. Strange for that exact reason.
It's more that JP has self respect. He prefers the role of becoming a fat coke snorting neck bearded rapping slob for a few years as a Casey Affleck "practical joke" (saw that poo poo in theaters, best superhero movie . ever.) to the ignominy of making a movie for the DCU and MCU and tbh he's right to make that call
Remember when RDJ was still doing drugs and interesting and artistic and trying to sell himself as Chaplin and in Elton John videos? Now he's on top...top chump. Least the pay is amazing.
RIP
I just pretend he ODed

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Snowman_McK posted:

And then he managed to throw casual racism in there as well.
Are you referring to the comments about Inarritu? That was condescending as gently caress. You can tell RDJ is still kind of bitter jelly (like a jar of piss) his indie career never got there and now he's just an (extremely well paid) quip robot

quote:

Downey said in a video interview last week that “for a man whose native tongue is Spanish, to be able to put together a phrase like ‘cultural genocide’ just speaks to how bright he is.”
“Taken in the proper context of the interview, it is intended to be, and is, complimentary,” said Downey’s publicist Alan Nierob
Like who the gently caress are you? gently caress off Sherlock
Some people should never get sober.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Apr 29, 2016

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Good night sweet prince

Apparently Charlie Sheen is totally sober now too??? I guess we know who's gonna play Namor in five years

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Wheeee posted:

I'm sure that RDJ regularly cries over his lovely failure of a career

all the way to the bank.
Similarly, Adam Sandler.
Dude would make the perfect Black Bolt.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

Also because they like those movies and don't like the guy who says that movies they like are "cultural genoicde" which is just about as :smug: and stupid as what RDJ said
agreed, insulting the sanctity of comic book movies (god forbid!!!) is definitely as bad as implying a director whose second film ever was English language would have a less than adequate grasp over the English language because...uhhhh...he's brown?
Maybe the truth is...in the middle...of a piss jar

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
id be so much more hyped for this movie (from zero to...something) if the marketing leant hard on the 80s vibes (as hard as say, The Nice Guys is leaning into the 70s) rather than like...GENERIC CGI CITY DESTRUCTION BOOOM BET YOU'VE NEVER SEEN THIS SORT OF SPECTACLE LIKE THIS BEFORE...JUST EVERY 6 MONTHS
Give us some soul and style, drat.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah...still definitely preferable to "from the director of Hellraiser: Inferno and From the Day the Earth Stood Still" though
On the other hand "from the director of Yes Man and The Break Up" had to be kind of worrying but that worked out i guess

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
"From the director of Clown and Cop Car"

CelticPredator posted:

Oh yeah. Now I hate DC more for ditching Michelle loving McClaren.
Yeah but there's nothing wrong with Patty Jenkins. Monster was a good movie. Don't really know how that's significantly inferior to someone just known as a TV director thus far. How has Michelle McClaren earned a "loving" :lol: it's not like she gets all the breaking bad credit or something.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 30, 2016

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Oh that was her? That's pretty great, still not like some enormous terrible drop off between directors in theory though.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
if she'd stayed on as a creative voice in the DCU maybe we could have had a montage of all the people with "Bat Brands" getting brutally shanked in prison one by one
That's probably a BVS extended cut scene actually

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
People like sharing unsubstantiated rumors that fit their weird comic book movie studio tribalism, possibly the saddest thing
Speaking of which I just heard from a guy that Kevin Fiege likes to poop his pants and likes the smell
Keep in mind this is currently JUST a rumor until it is confirmed or not
Comments please

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

Jesus metaphors play to the lowest common denominator. He's not even the judeo-christian character Superman most resembles.

But when debate about a story's themes in a way that compliments them, it's usually done so in a way that explores the nature of what those themes mean. Is Deckard a replicant? What's the nature of the monolith?

With Zack Snyder it comes down to whether those themes should have even used or not because they're delivered with the gracefulness of a bag of hammers with poor set up, ham handedness, and a fair number of unfortunate implications. This is best exemplified by the fact that Superman's "died for your sins" metaphor doesn't work when everyday people don't have the powers to follow his examples and the looming threats will be handled not by mortal men, but by other godlike supermen. He doesn't put this stuff in with any effort to make them work, he puts them in because he thinks presenting them as much subtlety as possible is somehow deep. The discussion isn't framed about analysis of these themes and what they say, or can say, but rather, a defense or attack on the quality of their execution.

In regards to bringing up whether the movie was a financial success or not, the conversation STARTED because it related to whether or not the claims Warner Bros. being concerned and there being behind the scenes troubles had any legitimacy or not. Comparisons to Marvel were made not for the sake of comparing metaphorical penis sizes, but in regards to how they've set expectations for how these kinds of movies perform.
can I just say I did NOT want to see the dust levitating from off your coffin

wait UHHH SPOILERS
I'm talking about DEADPOOL

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

TetsuoTW posted:

Why are you still doing this to us?
It's a metaphor for the Passion.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

I think DC should scrap the built universe thing and just go directly to having Snyder make a four hour Kingdome Come movie.
oh wow yes please
it would be like a loving fever dream

CelticPredator posted:

Because they aren't jokes.
Hah-hah! Nice one!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
So you're like, disappointed in Martha Wayne's judo skills?
I did kind of laugh at the fact that both Waynes just like aggressively started CQCing this mugger with a gun instead of like, handing over their stupid wallets or whatever
But again, a dream

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
woops
(double pissjar post)

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
:lol:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Superman losing his cool because Batman hosed his mom is probably what the Flash went back to warn everyone about.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Did Luke Skywalker ever self harm?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

I saw someone make a joke about how bad Pluto Nash was the other day.

I guess that makes it a good movie, if people still know about it.
I joke about you but that doesn't make you a good movie.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Gorn Myson posted:

Captain America and Black Widow are literally murdering people within 10 minutes of the beginning of Winter Soldier.

I'm sick of this grim dark stuff #NotMyCaptain
Are you sure those were people and not the fine 2017 Audi R8 V10 Plus?
Even as the mighty Avengers break into Civil War, their affinity for best-in class, high performance and state of the art technology in their vehicles ties them together.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It is a sick rear end car, you must agree.
Well, obviously, you're not going to flatten Captain America with some randomass jalopy

I'd rather drive a 2017 Audi than take Turkish Airlines so I guess BvS is objectively the inferior film.

Lookit that combat roll. They roll like ISIS in that one hilarious Vice video. Coincidence??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM3ElTvF52I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Harime Nui posted:

And that's not even a euphemism I was eye-watering, toe-tapping needing to piss by the end of this movie monster.
Did you not have a jar?

• Locked thread