Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
BASICALLY Zack Snyder and Michael Bay are doing god's work and if I were president (of uhhh...show business?) they'd get to adapt every single children's cartoon/nostalgia property that ever existed
ALL the better when their movies bomb. Kill the cgi-fueled Comic book/genre fiction movie monster

Please don't confuse me as a fan of any movies mentioned itt other than Darkman and Meteor Man u weirdo vvvvv

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Super Fan posted:

You’re such a bad rear end
I'M BATMAN

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm ready for a Batman with a seven foot wingspan. He'd catch alllll the bats.

Super Fan posted:

I hate all comic book movies and hope they die!

(has nine pages of posts in the comic book movie thread)
yes because there are no other threads full of people posting about things they don't like.

batman says reading is fun

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I find the industry fascinating in the most morbid and disgusting way and hope the bubble bursts asap

lol I'm sorry my not liking comic book movies and still posting here is bothering you so much my dude vvvvvvv

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 5, 2017

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
couldn't get through that edgy tryhard garth ennis trash
tbh any adaptation is bound to be a step up from the source material so that's a plus

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

You're a moron.
checks out. There are plenty of reasons to criticize BvS but the whole MARTHA thing is some willfully dumb comic book movie reviewer hot take poo poo ala the people who were like BEN GRIMM GOT MOLESTED AS A CHILD in the last failed Fantastic Four movie attempt.
Like who watches that scene and interprets it as a literal DUHH BATMAN STOPPED CUZ DA MAN HAD SAME MOM NAME. Maybe hearing his mom's name, realizing Clark was also a being with a mother and not some evil exotic thing, etc. brings him into a moment of reflection and realization in regards to the actions he's taken and how far gone he is?
nah lol they had the same name!!!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
them waiting for wayne to tell them to evacuate when there's death & chaos a block away is still dumb and cracks me up tho

nah. basically it's just a dumb meme now. vvvvvvvv

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Poorly executed? Sure. but lol if that scene in your punchman v punchman movie actually genuinely confused you then yes it may just be dumb people.
i watched that poo poo high as gently caress off edibles and it still wasn't hard to follow. maybe that helped.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Jutsuka posted:

You seem very insecure and defensive about others finding meaning in, and drawing enjoyment from, films you don't like.
this 1000x

Serf posted:

they should make a We3 movie, but like, do it right. just go all-in on an r-rating.
that would be a hell of a tear-jerker. homeward bound by way of winding refn
I'm just down for them adapting more grant morrison and warren ellis and less garth ennis and frank miller and marc millar (unless it's the one good non-edgy thing he did, Huck)

also maybe it'd get Warren Ellis to stop trying to be a novelist. There are plots that work at the level of "comic book writer" that don't exactly transition well into the medium of literature. like, Gun Machine just read like trash, but I'm sure it'd make an o-kay comic book.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This except not so much Warren Ellis.
I'd love to see a world where HBO had the licenses and capability to do a Planetary miniseries
and get Johnny Depp to do his Hunter Thompson for Transmetropolitan and that movie's halfway done. I didn't mind The Rum Diaries

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
There's basically no difference between this and al qaeda

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Crows Turn Off posted:

Honest question, what was confusing about the plot of BvS? What questions do you still have? I agree that the editing was all over the place, it's clear they were trying to fit two movies into one. But I was never lost during the several storylines we were progressing through. It was basically Batman story scenes, then Superman story scenes, then Batman story scenes, then Superman story scenes, until they combine into the same story.
This 1000x over. I'd never say it was a good film but lmao if you didn't follow this simple dumb superhero movie plot even with the dream like editing. Like, I watched the theatrical cut and don't know much about comics, what's your excuse? I didn't really need additional scenes fleshing out what was going on with Africa or w/e to grasp the basic direction of the plot and character motivations
It's revealing that the most strident critics itt are dudes who genuinely got lost watching this dumb movie or say things like "why was batman wearing armor??"

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
didn't even know there was a trailer for Grant Morrison's Happy! out yet, but it looks promising. SyFy actually making good TV shows now wtf? It's from half of the Crank team, which seems like an appropriate pick, I like Meloni and Patton Oswalt as well. Comes out in a couple days.
Between that and the potential Lazarus, Deadly Class, and Snowpiercer shows, it could be a golden age for non-stupidass-superhero-poo poo-cuz-superhero-comics-suck-dude. Adapt more Image! Less Kirkman though, plz.

whoops I guess these aren't movies but I don't think TVIV has a comic book tV megathread does it? It kinda should at this point. Apparently the Runaways TV show is happening, and is okay to good? As leery as I am of anyt of the garbage DC and Marvel does, I did like Runaways.....

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, Happy! is a Grant Morrison thing. I enjoyed it, kinda just like WHAT IF MAX PAYNE STARTED SEEING A CUTE STUFFED ANIMAL IMAGINARY FRIEND THING.
oh yeah I forgot, FX is also doing Y the Last Man, which I was never really half as high on as so many people that list it as like, one of the MUST READ VERTICO/IMAGE COMICs.... honestly I'm not sure I even thought it was good. but hey, it could be solid I guess, Legion was excellent.
considering that all the Marc Millar adaptations in movies/TV have been his lamest edgiest most tryhard bullshit comics, I'd really like someone to do the only one I ever found tolerable....Huck

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It'd be cool if RDJ stopped doing Quip-Talk bullshit (yes including Shane black come at me y'all), started doing drugs again, and did poo poo like Chaplin & Elton John videos again

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Any situation where John "I made my career on being Martin Freeman but not as good" Krasinski lost work is a net gain for civilization
Basically I'm saying the American office is generic will they or won't they sitcom garbage. People that prefer it to the U.K. version genuinely deserve to be eaten alive by rats

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Finally saw Guardians 2, not really a comic book movie guy (the industry & grotesque bubble fascinates me but I don't actually tend to watch the movies themselves) but it was entertaining.
Unlike 99% of Marvel quipping, the Guardians movies actually get laughs out of me. Maybe that's the Gunn touch?
I appreciated some of his darkly humorous touches, not all of the levity worked but considering it never works for me with the other Marvel movies or with RDJ, it was a lot better. Drax's nipples, Pacman, Kurt Russell being like "man we're gonna be the only ones in the universe, stop getting on my nerves!", the Zune, I'm Mary Poppins y'all, etc.
Honestly most of the character beats and development and story worked for me too, which is rarely the case with Marvel movies.
It's just that most of the action and fighting was just like, colorful gibberish for me? Outside of them doing little individual things, like Yondu slaughtering his crew. The final planet battle and a lot of the space battles just felt like, well, again, colorful gibberish. But that didn't actually seriously detract from it cuz everything else was dope and entertaining.
I was a little worried Sly would save Yondu, kinda cheapening his sacrifice. So I'm glad he didn't. Like I said, most of the levity didn't feel forced tho I wish they'd toned it down during Yondu's funeral. Try to just have a solemn loving human moment quill. I know you're only half human but poo poo, calling back the Hasslehoff story just felt like trying to have it both ways which felt cheap.
Kurt Russell was cool, though he kinda just becomes another CGI VILLAIN. Understandable though. At first I was kind of like, "Uhhh, why wouldn't Ego try to make his evil plan an easier pill for Quill to swallow? Like maybe your pitch shouldn't be like LOL ALSO I KILLED UR MOM. But then I realized, hey, it works, I mean he's a psychopathic megalomaniacal immortal, it's the kind of poo poo he'd say.

I think I might just stick to the Guardians movies (not really interested in seeing the characters outside of the movies, quipping along with Tony Stark or w/e dumb poo poo they end up doing in the next Avengers. The Gunn stamp is pretty much the only thing among DC/Marvel with any sign of originality and talent and it seems like they actually let him be a little bit of himself with these movies. Waaaaay better than Doctor Strange, which was the only other "recent" (relatively speaking) comic book movie I've seen.
Baby Groot I was initially leery of on some Porg/Minions type corporate cynicism but it retained enough of Gunn's black humor sensibilities to work. Really liked all of the characters. I appreciate that there's a Marvel movie where they have jokes about a hero getting a severed thumb somehow, throwing a bully to their death, etc. Even if it's just because that means there's a Marvel movie different enough from its peers to stand out as different. That has value to me. It's why I appreciated some aspects of BvS on a fever dream level.

Seaguy and Billy Bat were right...

been watching Happy!, incidentally. seems like a solid faithful adaptation of the Grant Morrison comic for the most part. Don't know how long they can stretch it though, surely not too many episodes/seasons. It's nice to have a comic book TV show I can tolerate other than Legion tho. Taylor of Neveldine/Taylor does not pull punches when it comes to the violence and gore, and the humor sticks the landing for the most part.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 20, 2017

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
As a poc I think of it like Wells Fargo backing an LGBT parade
It's a nice step but more potentially toxic in the long run given how such a surface level gesture of "wokeness" provides them with cover for all the actually hosed up poo poo they do (as demonstrated by all the well meaning whites itt).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Jimbot posted:

Talking about this sort of things when it comes to representation is walking on eggshells. On one hand, you have the very loud right wing loonies or sheltered nerds who squeal social justice this that and another thing because they had the AUDACITY to put a black man or an asian lady or a latino man in lead roles in their popcorn film. HOW DARE THEY! On the other hand, any kind of criticism against these characters is seen as an attack on said representation and you're lumped into or close to the above group. Where representation in of itself is a triumph, regardless of the quality of the characters. Kind of the bad identity politics you see in, well, politics.

And that's all within the bubble you're arguing against. I don't dare tread the ground you are because I'm a white dude and my opinions on this sort of thing are already seen as less than worthless.
It's delicate, to be sure. You have people in the Star Wars thread(s) often unfairly characterizing ANY criticisms of the new film as coming from "trolled alt right nerds". On the other hand you have imo Red Letter Media often using attacks on corporate diversity as a way to pander to their YouTube scumfuck fans who want diversity attacked in general and ending in a line of logic that included "Why would black kids want their toys to look like them? Take it from us, two old white dudes."

• Locked thread