Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
I feel like they would have to get someone like Aronofsky or Jodorowsky to direct Sandman for it to really work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
BvS was good, Eisenberg Lex is best Lex

Edit: What was the deal with the critics? Normally there would be a more even spread of opinions for a movie that made this much money, irregardless of quality. It's like the exact reverse of what happened with Dragon Age 2, the disconnect is bizarre.

Kulkasha fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 29, 2016

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

"Batman: Rise of Azrael"

The sounds of fanboy wailing would be delicious

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

Seriously, all that was missing from Batman's angry drive and angry crossfit was the theme from Kevin Bacon's angry danceout in Footloose.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

What's BVS's current draw?

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Early reviews are not being kind to X-men. A solid 57% right now

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/x_men_apocalypse/

a critic posted:

Its ham-fisted, overemotional script, completely bereft of charm or ingenuity, its unremarkable villain and second-rate special effects make X-Men: Apocalypse the least successful of the recent Marvel entries.

So it's like every other Singer movie then.
"Charles. He was a mutant! Oohhawaooh?! OK, Magneto, I'll just take your word for it that JFK was a mutant

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

computer parts posted:

You're right and you're wrong. The MCU is not like our world because it still functions like our world even though it's encountered real life aliens.

Everybody's too busy quipping about shawarma to process technogods and interdimensional aliens

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

Yoshifan823 posted:

Superman is a Methodist midwestern farmboy. Spider-Man is from the big city. I relate much more with Superman.

He's methodist? I thought he was Episcopalian.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

JMS's Hyperion and SS both suffer from JMS's habit of using characters to lecture other characters in the most droll manner possible, about how badass they are. Which sucks cause the inherent concept of Superman being captured and raised as an American weapon and then straining his bonds is a really good one.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

TheManWithNoName posted:

I mean yeah, Reeve is basically winking every time he saves someone, but I don't think aloof is the right word at all. I like Cavill okay but nothing he's done yet has matched the anguish Reeve displayed when Lois died in Superman.

He showed crazy anguish when he killed Zod.
And his flash of anger when Zod was threatening his mom was imho the most relatable part of the movie.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

Who knew that dressing up as an animal and beating up the mentally deranged / petty criminals instead of using your massive wealth to curb poverty and therefore crime was unhealthy?
Oh, right, Nolan did.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

Yaws posted:

Man, you guys sure want Batman to be a loving killer don't you? Adam West Batman never killed anyone and he's the best Batman yet!

Well, he was a deputised member of the police so it's a surety that he has killed at least one black person away from cameras

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

Drifter posted:

I mean, really Batman's superpower is plot immunity and Gary Stu-ism.

Batman's real superpower is showing off how clever the writer is. Therefore, the best Batman is Zur-en-Arrh homeless Morrison Batman.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

L'Incal is one of the best comics ever made.

Well, there's The Fifth Element...

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

Looks like they're bringing the Marvel Model to the Universal Monsters:

Wikipedia posted:

On July 16, 2014, Universal announced that they had tapped Kurtzman and Chris Morgan to develop all classic film monsters which include Frankenstein's monster, Count Dracula, The Wolf Man, Creature from the Black Lagoon, The Invisible Man, Bride of Frankenstein, and The Mummy. The first film they will develop together will be The Mummy, for which they had begun the meetings. On July 30, Kurtzman was set to direct the film. In mid-October 2015, The Hollywood Reporter revealed that the new Mummy film might be based on a female character.
Here's the teaser for the Mummy Reboot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAWo9_V2qOg

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

Edit: loving mobile, nvm

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

Burkion posted:

Zack Snyder Spider-Man

Come on

COME ON

MAKE IT HAPPEN

We would get an actual ripped Venom

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

Invincible is cartoonishly gory, far more so than Kirkman's other, more famous series

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

I don't know why I enjoy Invincible, but I do. It's like the same compulsion that makes me like bad horror films

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

The artist on The Walking Dead is absolutely terrible. I stopped reading the comic around when the show started so maybe he's improved, but I remember having had trouble telling some characters apart.
The first arc of TWD was done by Moore iirc, who also did work on Frankencastle and is generally an excellent artist.
He sued Kirkman for insufficient compensation after the show blew up, which tells you a little about both of them.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

I really like how each DC superhero has a very distinctive design, they each look like they come from very different places based on looks alone (unlike modern DC comics, wooooo)
Superman: Art Noveau
Batman: Brutalism (his costume texture looks like concrete)
Wonder Woman: Art Deco
Flash: Modern/Post Modern
Cyborg: Industrial/Modern?
Aquaman: Polynesian?
It's refreshing compared to the trend in Marvel Movies (and most Superhero franchises in general) to design everyone with similar central elements (ADD MORE VENTING)

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

The best example of the way something huge and strong should move is the Hulk. That's what makes the Hulk so viscerally terrifying - it's this large green thing that can look at you from a mile away and close that gap in a few seconds.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

300 and Starship Troopers both fit into that niche of "dedicated satire" where the lack of someone winking at the camera inevitably confuses some viewers.
My favourite​ historical fact about 300 is that the Spartan's ridiculous society doomed them to fearful stagnation while Thebes and later Macedon thoroughly outstripped them in military capability, to the point that Sparta became a backwater.
Edit:

Neo Rasa posted:

I wish Snyder got to make Xerxes like he was talking about where it would have been the exact same movie but with the Persians as the noble golden gods and the Spartans as hideous subhumans.
Holy poo poo I want this to have existed.

Kulkasha fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 16, 2017

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

Maybe Whedon was a slight, positive influence? Def see it with the Flash.
Looks super cool.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

Kyle Rayner : Lantern in Morrison's JLA, therefore cool
Jon Stewart : Lantern in Animated Series, therefore cool
Hal Jordan : murdering pyschopath was the only time he was interesting

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

Lobok posted:

This is my vote. Maybe expend all this creative energy on making Jordan a more interesting character. Surely he cannot be SO boring that he's unsalvageable or worse than any other square-jawed white guy who's helmed an action/adventure movie before.

They tried that already.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

There's a lot of loving and sucking in X-Men comics but I can't think of a scandal off the top.

How about when Angel fucks a teenager in the sky above aforesaid teenager's parents?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Has there ever been any Punisher stories that looked at his childhood. I figure there must be but I've never read any.

Ennis's Punisher: Tyger, which is both a really sad story and extremely relevant right now. Synopsis for anyone who doesn't want to go find it: It details Frank's experiences when he was ten, specifically with his crush, who was raped by a local mafioso kid. The girl ends up killing herself in shame. The rapist continues doing whatever because everyone's afraid of his mobster dad, but the girl's older brother traps the rapist, beats him with a bat, and immolates him in a grave. Frank later discovers that the brother died in war. It's an interesting take on the character that implies that Vietnam and the death of his family were more catalysts to a monster that already existed within Frank.

• Locked thread