Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Scyantific posted:

Well they retconned that poo poo too. Now it turns out that bolt was future Barry zapping himself full of goesfast.

Yes. The Flash is not just the result of an accident anymore. Now all DC Comics speedsters are part of a mythical "Speed Force", that as I understand it is also a barrier that separates the various universes (Earth-1, Earth-2 and such) from the outer dimensions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

I will agree it is more optimistic. But it still greatly depressed me.

Are you saying it was....unbearable?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Looks like Patrick Stewart is definitely in next year's Wolverine movie.

quote:

Stewart told me he will complete the second season of comedy series Blunt Talk, which he makes with Adrian Scarborough, and then head for ‘an exotic, North American location’ to shoot a new Wolverine film with Hugh Jackman

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Lego Batman's second and definitely better trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHgQSwgKygk

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

bring back old gbs posted:

Aw man it turns out like...the president is some sort of..uh, super Hydra! All the regular old hydra guys will never see it coming when it turns out the real Hydra is extra evil now. The stakes have been raised.

Funny thing is Agents of SHIELD actually has the HYDRA god (as in, the very reason HYDRA was formed thousands of years ago) as the current big bad without the Civil War writers knowing anything about it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Deadline articles about box office and audience reception can be scarily detailed.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Well this is out of nowhere.

https://twitter.com/CiaraMcAvoy1/status/711200774127284224

Who even has the rights to Captain Britain?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Looks like the Gambit movie is still happening, but as many predicted it has been delayed. No release date yet, but the production is expected to start at the end of this year instead of this month. Doug Liman still directing.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Spawn has been going on so long Angela decided to cross dimensions and become a Marvel character.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Phylodox posted:

And didn't Grifter somehow end up with DC? Was that a similar arrangement?

I thought that was DC assimilating Wildstorm.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

You still have to assemble the vehicle. And as The Lego Movie suggests you can frankenstein anything out of any combination of sets.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Have Lego announced Independence Day sets?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ben Affleck may not have done rewrites for BvS, but he did write an entire Batman movie.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ben-affleck-has-written-his-879355

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

New Mutants rumors are starting. Game of Throne's Maisie Williams and The VVitch's Anya Taylor-Joy are has supposedly been cast as Scottish lycanthrope Wolfsbane and Colossus' sister Magick respectively, along with Alexandra Shipp's Storm, Sunspot (played by Adam Canto in DOFP), Cannonball and Mirage.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/BruceWayne5150/status/715920983404711936

https://twitter.com/FanboyCollect/status/715933145456058369

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Having a big Friday drop is not necessarily a sign a trouble. The final Harry Potter movie and 2nd Twilight movie also had 70% second Friday drop, and the former is another billion dollar WB movie.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The both times I saw movies in theaters multiple times it was because I was taking my family. Can't imagine doing it alone twice, that's why I bought a bluray player.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ghost Rider should just end Civil War with his Shame power. It's like the Penance Stare, but he wags his fingers at the combatants while a ghostly "shaaaaaame" permeates the air.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

For all this talk of BvS underperforming, it's actually doing better than Deathly Hallows Part 2 and Man of Steel.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 3, 2016

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Looking festive there, Mads.

Maybe he's playing Nightmare. The eyes look about right.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

In a twist unforeseen by anyone, Deadpool is now officially the highest-grossing X-Men movie

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Whizbang posted:

In the new one he has a robot bird sidekick too.

American Flag Soldier Man's sidekick is Drone Operator Man. Makes sense.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

If Captain America was black when first created, I suspect he wouldn't be a captain.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Don't forget this other Fox comic book sequel.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

That reminds me. The funniest Man of Steel video I remember was someone playing the sound of people screaming in pain over the aftermath of the Metropolis battle. It was like the offspring of Loose Change, the 9/11 truther movie, and Silent Scream, the anti-abortion video where a fetus screams in pain as it is being cut apart. It’s as if the video was saying that the people who hate Superman for ‘destroying’ Metropolis are either conspiracy nutjobs or extremist conservatives.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Vince Neil should be thankful that Cage is not preparing for a role as a deadly martial artist assassin.

You know who Cage should have played? This guy.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

broken clock opsec posted:

Cage also has a thing with pyramids.

See? Perfect.

Speaking of Perlmutter, he recently pissed off a lot of Marvel fans by donating to a Trump veterans charity.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Boyd Holbrook is playing "the chief of security for a global corporation pursuing Jackman’s Wolverine " in next year's Wolverine movie.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/boyd-holbrook-wolverine-3-hugh-jackman-1201749479/

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

There's something great about Flash appearing on the Supergirl show on an entirely different channel because he traveled to another dimension.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I think they want to get Batman's story in the Justice League movies out of the way first before his solo movie.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

site posted:

I don't know what that is tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2Z3y3Qw3RU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Yoshifan823 posted:

Is it too late to rewrite that Tomb Raider script and have Tina Fey and Amy Poehler play Lara and Laura Croft?

In the fakest British accent they can muster.

I don't know how playing Lara Croft be considered a that much of a downgrade for Ridley. Wasn't one of her early roles playing a naked corpse on an autopsy table?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Eh, according to the supposed leaks. Batman had a hand in the Squad's formation and Katana works for him as his spy on the team.

That would make sense based on the comic book version of that character.

The Cameo posted:

Perlmutter was never a committee member; the committee was entirely staffed by Marvel writers. Talent's problem with Perlmutter was more that pumping for a little bit more money once they laid out the budget was next to impossible and he would also often, with Feige, essentially re-edit the pictures without input from them. This is the sort of stuff that has put him at cross points with Downey, who is big on letting directors and editors and other talent do what they're hired to do. It's why his post-Iron Man contract renegotiation gave him things like a full-fledged producer's power on his future Marvel movies (which is how Shane Black even got the chair for IM3 - Downey wanted to pay him back for hiring him at a low point in his career as well as basically guruing the first Iron Man into what it was) and why he's constantly wielded the power he's had in the company to do things like knock his co-star's pay up for Avengers sequels. When Downey slipped into Cap 3 (which he negotiated himself into through Disney directly), Perlmutter wanted to kill his contract since Downey isn't cheap ($30 million and first-dollar gross points - and that's not including producer's pay) and with him joining the cast a lot of Perlmutter's control went out the window (because, again, RDJ in the cast puts him and Susan, his wife, in producer roles as per his standard contract these days).

As you can imagine, that was the thing Feige was able to bring to Horn to oust Perlmutter from the film side of the company and make the direct line of ascension for Marvel movies be Feige -> Horn instead. Because what better way to look like a lunatic than to scream about wanting to gut the golden goose of the company because it wants to lay more eggs. When this happened and Feige was put at the head of film production for Marvel, he disbanded the creative committee. But that committee was around well into the Disney era and probably still exists to a degree for the TV side of things (at least for Agents of SHIELD).

Otherwise, the other Perlmutter stuff - the "black people" comment, the refusal to produce Black Widow or Peggy Carter toys until the last year or so, the penny-pinching and whatnot - yeah, that's all true. He's the reason Favreau dumped out on directing Avengers after IM2 got railroaded, why Branagh and even Joe Johnston walked away despite options available for both to do Thor and Cap sequels, and why at this point it's incredibly difficult for Marvel to get directors above a certain level to make their movies - Ryan Coogler is probably their first director since Branagh with some real acclaim behind him coming in. Most directors have learned a lesson about getting caught in the Marvel machine.

It's also why Lucasfilm is operating in a completely different direction, with a wide berth for creatives to work in (which would make sense given Kathleen Kennedy's career basically being Amblin and Kennedy/Marshall, both of which operated under that dogma and were quite successful).

Note also that Favreau and Branagh continue making movies for Disney after leaving Marvel, possibly as part of their deal with the company, implying that the problem is with the Marvel side.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Apr 9, 2016

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

People keep saying the Marvel formula works, but I can't help but feel the whole lead up to Avengers could have been more organic. Instead of making Incredible Hulk, for example, they could have a movie where SHIELD use Stark to hunt and subdue Hulk (a better excuse for a Hulkbuster fight). Then follow up with movies where they meet Thor and thaw out Cap (after a movie about Cap set entirely during WW2), adding a new member with each movie.

edit:
Iron Man vs Hulk would be almost like BvS. General Ross sends Stark after Hulk, Stark realises Hulk is not a monster, Ross gets angry and releases Abomination as contingency, Stark and Hulk teams up to defeat Abomination, Stark and Banner become best friends and work together to find more people like them.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 10, 2016

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Skwirl posted:

They could've done that, but it doesn't sound better than what we got, and Marvel is making a shitload of money off their movies, so I don't know why they'd want to.

They would have made a lot of money either way. I was just thinking about the story issues the Phase 1 movies had.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Now with Banner gone, Vision is Stark's new therapist? Wanda looks miffed that her date got interrupted again. You got money Tony, hire Doc Samson or whoever.

Proposition Joe posted:

But if you're getting into a time machine to try and make a perfect Marvel Cinematic Universe, I suppose you could make a few adjustments based on the four missteps of Phase One:

1.) Iron Man 2 sucked due to studio meddling.
2.) The Incredible Hulk sucked and Ed Norton bailed.
3.) Captain America had a rushed third act.
4.) Hiring Joss Whedon to direct the Avengers.

There's also The Avengers handwaving away the ending of Thor. I'd expect with Loki as the main villain, finding a way to get Thor to Earth without a Bifrost would play a bigger part in the story.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

All this talk about what movies are good, and nobody posted charts yet.

Anyway, here is Nicolas Cage as a superhero. The Penance Hold is powerful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woMOoJPOPW4

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Rhyno posted:

And that's just toys. There's millions of dollars worth of t-shirts, hats and cereal unaccounted for.

According to this review, Batman's chocolate strawberry is bad while Superman's caramel is good. Mixing them produce an epic clash of taste that destroys tastebuds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKtVio9TaFg
Why strawberry? Is it supposed to represent the blood of his parents and also the criminals he grievously injure?

Safety Factor posted:

Nah, the weirdest TMNT toys were the ones that were transformers knock-offs. Like, you'd have Raphael and he'd turn into a jet or some poo poo. I don't think I'm making this up.

Recently they transform into their own weapons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSxXlV00tvc

Rhyno posted:

There was a fairly long stretch where the TMNT toy line was dormant though. Transformers have had near constant shelf presence since the line debuted.

I bet Combiner Wars must really be good for them. Not only must you buy at least 5 toys (4 if you don't mind having a one-armed robot), they had a price increase in a number of markets.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Maybe Affleck is really Clayface.

Fans got so excited about that trailer at MTV Movie Awards, they almost broke through the barricades.
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-et-mn-2016-mtv-movie-a-1460258834-htmlstory.html

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Apr 11, 2016

• Locked thread