Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Firstborn posted:

Got invited to a midnight premiere of X-Mans. Not sure if I want to go.
I wouldn't bother seeing it at all, frankly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dunno if there's a dedicated comic book TV thread but the first episode of Preacher is pretty good, y'all. Nothing like the comics' plot, of course (but I repeat myself hurr hurr).

I only wish amazon hadn't picked it up in my country because their video service interface is the definition of out of touch.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Eh, I'm prepared to be reasonable about this and watch Brie Larson in the eventual Nextwave movie.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yesterday I watched Dredd for the first time and was surprised how relatively grounded in reality it was. I was expecting more of a Blade Runner-setting, but it has just enough sci-fi and dystopian elements inserted into a fairly close to reality setting to be quite unsettling. Really enjoyed it, it's got a strong 80s vibe and it's pretty much exactly what I was expecting The Raid to be.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm 100% okay with the idea of Thor and Hulk in Space Buddy Comedy.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

A suspiciously absent 80s franchise in the current crop of nerd nostalgia movies, come to think of it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

All I'm saying is if someone made a homoerotic space barbarians movie I'd go to that midnight premiere.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'd basically want it to stop just short of being about the barbarian from Oglaf. Also go the Mad Max route and have it actually be a stealth She-Ra movie, just so we get to see the usual internet idiots foam at the mouth that they want less She-Ra and more glistening muscley manbodies without even a hint of awareness. :allears:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

greatn posted:

"This -- orb of power. Could destroy world -- easily."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

So with the success of Deadpool and the fact everyone has forgotten The Crow was a good R-rated comics-based film. a lot of people I talk to want to see more "mature" comic films.

What do you all think? Something like The Authority or Miracleman or maybe some Garth Ennis stuff? I always thought Ennis was a bit overrated but people do love him. Nobody remembers The Punishe rwas written for decades before Ennis came along...but oh well.
I'd love an Authority movie. It's very possibly a little late to go for the "spirit of the 20th century" angle (and after the latest X-Men I don't think I want anyone to do any more period superhero movies for a while), but I'm pretty sure Apollo and Midnighter as mains could carry a film. Imagine the reactions to "gay Batman and Superman fight crime on a global politics basis", no one would know what the gently caress.

Start with the Stormwatch storyline where they're homeless and fight weapons dealers, reveal a little backstory through flashbacks, 1/3 of the way in the movie they get picked up by the established team like in the very first X-Men movie because the weapons trade is part of a larger political issue. And I feel that it's incredibly important that the antagonist be a politician without any superpowers whatsoever. Some small country dictator or something, sure, but his motives would have to be firmly rooted in realistic politics. Lord knows they're beyond the most cartoonish of 80s supervillains these days anyway. End the movie with the Authority in a place of global power and Hawksmoore's speech to the US president, and you've got yourself a movie.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jun 14, 2016

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Black Uncle Ben would be pretty awesome though.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gilliam would be great for Doom Patrol but he'd be fantastic for The Filth. Or maybe Shade, the Changing Man.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

How do we feel about the idea of Masters of the Universe directed by George Miller?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Watchmen was a servicable transition of most of the dialogue and visuals to the screen that completely missed the point of major parts of the book. It could and should have been to comic book movies what the book was to comic books, but simply wasn't. Intro sequence was alright though.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm not saying I hated Watchmen but I do keep forgetting it exists. Every so often I spot the DVD in a store and go "oh right, they made that."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

So do you think I should read the comic first and then watch the movie or vice versa?
I'd read first. Just for the nature of the beast. I think it's more worthwhile to go into the book like "what's gonna happen" rather than "how is what's happening different from the movie". Unless you're really good at tuning that sort of thing out, I guess, but still. It tops the lists of comics must-reads for a reason.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Then I wanna read V but the movie of V sounds like it's an incredibly poor adaptation.
Well hearing it from the man himself (from wikipedia):

quote:

[...] the film's story has been changed by the Wachowski Brothers to fit a modern political context. Alan Moore, however, charged that, in doing so, the story has turned into an American-centric conflict between liberalism and neo-conservatism, and abandons the original anarchist-fascist themes. Moore states "There wasn't a mention of anarchy as far as I could see. The fascism had been completely defanged. I mean, I think that any references to racial purity had been excised, whereas actually, fascists are quite big on racial purity." Furthermore, in the original story, Moore attempted to maintain moral ambiguity, and not to portray the fascists as caricatures, but as realistic, rounded characters. The time limitations of a film meant that the story had to omit or streamline some of the characters, details, and plotlines from the original story. Chiefly, the original graphic novel has the fascists elected legally and kept in power through the general apathy of the public, whereas the film introduces the "St. Mary's virus", a biological weapon engineered and released by the Norsefire Party as a means of clandestinely gaining control over their own country.
V is also presented as a much clearer (anti)hero figure in the film. Honestly it's got some nice visuals but the book, as usual with Moore, has so much more depth to it.

I think we can agree, though, that no matter what you think of them neither V nor Watchmen are as bad as the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen film.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

In a stunningly effective aspect ratio no less
Should all have been filmed with an upright phone.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm gonna be That Guy and repost an old paragraph I wrote. NIKKOLASKING LOOK AWAY

My Lovely Horse posted:

The Watchmen film ending completely ignores the point that Ozymandias' whole deal is following in Alexander the Great's footsteps. The squid is the sword that strikes through the Gordian Knot that is Earth's politics. The solution has to be outrageous, unorthodox and to a degree unbelievable - if you're reading Watchmen for the first time, it comes completely out of nowhere, but that's the way it has to be to work. Using Doc Manhattan, who is wholly engrained in Earth's politics and even the reason they're in the state they're in, as a solution is like trying to solve the Gordian Knot by tugging juuust the right thread, and it's the one that's looped through all the other ones and itself the most. It's a flagrant misunderstanding of one of the book's central themes, one of its major characters, and the point of the historical legend.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I don't think I've ever seen a movie crank out as many different posters and promo shots as Suicide Squad. They must be hoping this becomes the same kind of cultural phenomenon as Burton's Batman or the first Ninja Turtles movie.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

nice fanfic

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'd rather he get on the Incal project already. Actually imagine Watchmen as directed by Refn for a second. Everything else aside, it would have looked exactly like the comics.

Suicide Squad marketing has hit a new high/low here in Germany as they tied it in with the European Championship. Couldn't find a shot of the posters, but they look like this, and they're everywhere in Berlin.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Presumably he doesn't even have the the token decency to give them a ride to the airport in the batmobile, monologuing about the uselessness of torture.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I kinda hope they're taking the "we're bad guys, it's what we do" line out of the actual movie, cause it's so overexposed from the marketing that I can only image the most uncomfortable silence when it comes up on the big screen now.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I got a Mad Max DVD box a few weeks ago and watched them more or less blind in order over a few days. Imagine my surprise at Beyond Thunderdome.

I like it, actually, it's just remarkably like halfway through Steven Spielberg had taken over.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 14, 2016

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Rough Lobster posted:

Thor 3 is gonna be just like one of those beat em up games where you have to rescue the President, and Bulk is player 2.
don't tease me like that

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

I mean jesus, they have a villain named Steppenwolf and they go with the loving White Stripes. That's some cosmic stupidity right there.
I'm pretty alright with a soundtrack choice that's not the blindingly obvious. I love Black Sabbath but having Iron Man played up and down in the Iron Man trailers and movie kinda rubbed me the wrong way. It's about something entirely else :argh:

Slugworth posted:

The only aspect that keeps disappointing me in the trailers is Harley Quinn. Maybe the character works better in full context, but all of her dialogue has been pretty dreadful so far. Otherwise, I am boarding the hype train.
I really, really want Suicide Squad to be good, but from everything I've seen it's trying to hit a certain over-the-top tone that's actually pretty hard to hit but seems easy, and that's not usually a good sign.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Guardians of the Galaxy shoulda been a heist movie, come to think of it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

This is Katana. It means Japanese sword.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I love the idea of watching a movie on a huge projector screen but doing it standing up and thinking "god I wish I had a couch."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Look at Mr Moneybags here. Where I grew up we used the room with a floor as little as possible. That was for guests.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

He's required to have been dealt a rotten hand so his unwavering endorsement of Tony's policies comes across as stronger and more genuine. "I'm on your side" has more impact coming from a guy whose life has been permanently changed by that very decision.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

quote:

Edgar Wright is also being courted for a DCEU project.
I just rewatched Scott Pilgrim the other day and why does Edgar Wright not simply do all the movies. The pace and density and the million little details in it blow me away every time I see it.

I hope he does Suicide Squad 2, actually. Still haven't seen the first one but that dense Edgar Wright energy feels kind of like what the promo material was clumsily trying to go for.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

All comic book movie TV news should be presented by the trio of newscasters from Spawn where one was straightforward and serious and the others a shallow celebrity news presenter and a conspiracy theorist.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm reading Grant Morrison's Supergods and there's a ton of stuff in there about the development history of DC and Marvel's greatest heroes, it's gonna be interesting to contrast that with how the movies handle it.

I'm also rewatching the Nolan Batman trilogy. Thoughts on Batman Begins:
- it held up extremely well, the story's consistent, and the villains are well integrated with the kind of grounded story they came up with for the film
- Michael Caine knocks it out of the park effortlessly and the scene where he talks to Bruce after the funeral always makes the room go all dusty
- seriously how good a cast did they get together for this, it's unbelievable how many big names this movie throws at you left and right, even the smallest part I'm still willing to call important gets Rutger Hauer who personally I'd have put down for Falcone
- that poor lady who introduces Bruce to Ra's Al Ghul at the party has to be so confused that Bruce calls him out as dead, and also that he stands with his back turned to them during the whole introduction
- for a guy who's spent years learning the power of secrecy Bruce sure is ready to spill the beans to Rachel quickly

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The Dark Knight:

- This movie is so goddamn long. It's ridiculously long. I don't even know what I'd theoretically cut, whether I'd remove a subplot or two or just do little cuts here and there that add up, but it's too long.
- Watching them more or less back to back like this, I have to say: Batman Begins is a lot better. Not just for length, I feel like it's plotted better, makes Bruce Wayne a more interesting character, and Gotham City feels more like the kind of city it is. In Dark Knight it's just kind of a generic metropolis.
- Then again, Joker and Two-Face are the more prominent villains, and Ledger and Eckhardt are of course fantastic in their respective roles. But if I'm completely honest I'd say Ledger's death may have elevated the film's perception just a little too much.
- A while ago I said the next time I rewatched this I'd try to plot out everyone's plans as they must have looked at the planning stage. Here goes.

1. Joker's initial plan is to start killing people to draw out Batman, and hurt Dent's prosecution at the same time. So the judge and Loeb are first to go. Fair enough. Batman gets in the way of him killing Dent, so he moves on.
2. Joker's plan to kill the mayor: kidnap the honor guard and stash them in an apartment rented under a false name (?). Pose as the honor guard. Create a distraction by rigging the blinds to a timer, shoot the mayor while snipers are on the window. Okay, sure. I'm taking Bruce's presence at the scene as unintended.
3a. Things get a bit fuzzy now. Gordon puts a plan into place where he apparently takes a bullet for the mayor. Presumably he was just gonna use the earliest opportunity for that.
4. New Joker plan after Dent claims to be Batman: make an attempt on his life, but actually get captured along with bomb guy, and have Dent and Rachel abducted by crooked cops, and at the same time use the opportunity to get to the mob accountant. This hinges heavily on:
3b. Gordon uses Dent's transfer as a ruse to draw out and capture Joker. And this in turn hinges on Dent's revelation, which presumably he didn't tell anyone he was going to do, and certainly not Gordon, who he thought was dead.
The rest are fairly straightforward again but I've got to tell you, I'm not buying this on any level from either side.
e: and also, I watched it four or five times now, and I just finished the last viewing, and all those plans are still already getting muddled in my head.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Clarification: Gordon only gets himself "killed" in order to protect his family. He must have figured he was gonna be on the list sooner or later, so good forward thinking. But also: Jim buddy you couldn't tell your wife you had to go dark for a while? Cold, man. Not like she was gonna go on the news and tell everyone.

I'll probably give DKR another go soon. In the meantime, I just realized something for Batman Begins that's never spelled out: if Bruce Wayne had become a League of Shadows member, they probably would have just gotten him to give them the microwave emitter. Presumably, they still pull off the same plan they always had for Gotham, except with the additional steps of having to steal the thing and getting rid of their rogue member.

e: yeah the hand-to-hand combat just isn't very good in any of them.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 5, 2016

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yaws posted:

Every Frame a Painting video on music in the MCU:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vfqkvwW2fs
Pro click.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Even if you can't recall the exact melody I bet there are a ton where you can recall the general instrumentation, mood, genre where applicable. Marvel movie soundtracks (along with a ton of others, that's true) are just kind of vaguely orchestral and indistinct. Except for the Captain America theme, that's actually slightly memorable.

e: it's not all about recognizable themes, either. That rescored Thor scene?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I couldn't hum the Terminator theme but gimme any kind of rhythm instrument and I bet you you're gonna recognize it instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

^^^ they may well have been, I recall an interview where Jennifer Lawrence said they redid the costume from the ground up and it was a pantyhose thing.

Sir Kodiak posted:

The Star Wars comparison is in reference to the original X-Men, X2, and Ratner's The Last Stand, not the soft reboot that Apocalypse is part of.
While that's true, my immediate reaction to the line was "glass houses, guys, glass loving houses."

• Locked thread