Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Now I'm remembering when Kate Mara was on Craig Ferguson to promote Iron Man 2 and after she showed the 15-second clip of her serving Tony with some papers, she was like, "Yeah, that's literally my entire role" and they just forgot about Iron Man and shot the poo poo for 10 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Now I'm just remembering when a guy rolled up into the previous thread and declared that we have hard evidence that Superman will start snapping necks any time he feels backed into a corner

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Corek posted:

I was once told it's because the Marvel movies are feminine and the DC movies are aggressively masculine. Don't agree.

Yeah I mean it's obviously an oversimplification but I guess I can see where it's coming from? Like, I know folks who agree that the politics of something like Winter Soldier are iffy and the filmmaking is nothing to write home about, but they still adore it because they like the interpersonal dynamics among between Steve and Bucky/Sam/Natasha and have fun reading goofy fanfics where Captain America and the Black Widow eat huge breakfasts and gently caress. And like, if someone insists on being reductive and essentializing, yeah, I guess that is more of a feminine perspective than a masculine one

Sense and Motion posted:

Regardless, none of this, nor people's nitpicks on the plot or on the dialogue, have anything to do with the art and creativity of the movie. In fact, on sites that criticize Man of Steel, I don't ever see any sort of analysis or 'appraisal' of the art and creativity of the movie and usually only the common laser focus on dialogue and plot.

There's also folks making goofy cargo cult points about its color palette, which technically falls within "appraisal of the art"

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

computer parts posted:

Does "Brooding" even mean anything anymore?

CONTENT WARNING: BROODING

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Grendels Dad posted:

how about just not thinking about shipping, though? Like, at all.

I ship Boob Marley with MisterBibs after the last few days

If y'all wanna ship me with another CD goon, that's fine because that's okay

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Boob Marley posted:

I dunno, seems to have riled a lot of you turds into some serious diarrhea here...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Are you for real bragging about "riling up" a bunch of movie dorks into discussing movies

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

As another contrast, the verisimilitude of the Dark Knight films (which are, of course, much more absurd and humorous than gripey fans tend to recall) allowed them to function as satires. There's none of this dour "it's all fun and games until..." chastisement.

There's an entire stable of Cracked.com writers chomping at the bit to tell you that Bane sounds ridiculous and DKR is full of goofy setups at literally every possible opportunity, seemingly without ever having ever considered that Bane and his motion picture pals might be in on the joke

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Remember always that those who like a different tight suit punch man movie than the one you like are not only objectively incorrect, but they are fully aware of their objective incorrectness, and they are hard at work at all hours of the day to spin complex and knowingly deceitful tales about why the wrong tight suit punch man movie is better than the right tight suit punch man movie, because they __________________

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
One of these movies is explicitly positioning this war as a misguided conflict ginned up by a new-school corporate executive, though

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

TetsuoTW posted:

btw i wholeheartedly recommend checking out tezzor's recent rap sheet, he is a man dedicated to his rage that some people like movies he doesn't and by christ is he going to tell you all about it.

Behind every clown who posts about those accursed goony CineD goons and their objectively bad movies is a rap sheet crammed full of extremely boring meltdowns

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Doflamingo posted:

Do you think most people enjoyed Man of Steel, as well?

[the sound of Megaman's Jockstrap breathlessly approaching the thread, CinemaScore in hand]

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Another member of Dane DeHaan crew checking in to register my support of Valerian

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

rakovsky maybe posted:

Short Term 12 just implies that its main character was compelled to work with abused children because she herself was abused. She ultimately comes to terms with this by saving a girl going through a similar experience. It's a false liberal idea that by being sexually abused our main character gains insight, empowerment, and empathy. In real life, most victims of sexual abuse go on to become sexual abusers themselves, which is precisely why it's so terrible. Short Term 12 advocates that bad things happen for good reasons, which is an obviously monstrous viewpoint.

On the one hand I feel you, given that narratives of "this incredibly monstrous thing happened for ~~a reason~~ and in hindsight maybe it's a blessing after all" are profoundly hosed up and used to dismiss / apologize for systematic abuse

On the other hand I don't really remember Short Term 12 trafficking in that, beyond the extent of Grace being an abuse survivor who is herself good at working with abuse survivors. If there was a scene where she expressed, explicitly or implicitly, that her trauma made her stronger or wiser or she's grateful for it or whatever, I don't remember it. In fact it seemed like her own history was actively getting in the way of her functioning, homegirl was ready to torpedo her engagement and get herself thrown in jail for B&E and assault

Also on the other hand, it's cool that you know about cycles of abuse and stuff but "most victims" is a stretch when studies place its incidence at about a third. And as someone who's in the other two thirds and hopes to stay there, I feel like having fictional narratives that reassure me that I can be a good person and am not just a ticking time bomb is a good thing, even if they can be saccharine and even if they can sometimes tiptoe into the mindset that I agreed was gross in the first paragraph of this post. So,

gently caress yoooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuu

Jenny Angel fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 27, 2016

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Boob Marley posted:

Creamin' here...

The reason I don't respect you isn't because you're taking this chart stuff too far, it's because you're not taking it far enough. Any hack can do a quick search of Metacritic, RT, and BoxOfficeMojo to understand the earning potential and critical of movies. That's the lazy way out. I want you to make these charts for characters. For themes. For cinematographic techniques. If you fall back on some coward's defense about how those aren't as possible to quantify, you can accept your participation trophy by mapping the values against something like average shot length

Make the shot length chart. Show me the Tomatometer effect of shots that are .2 seconds longer. Then, and only then, will you understand cinema

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'll accept that, but after the last few days, it's legitimately hard to tell what is and isn't made in lighthearted jest.

Batman v Superman, for example, is not made in lighthearted jest. It is, instead, grimdark

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

SnipeShow posted:

Thor 2 is a much better movie if you imagine Kat Dennings as Loki in disguise.

He is just running around kissing dudes and getting into hijinks.

This is like the first thing that's made me interested in watching Thor 2

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
This is major news so I should probably spoiler tag it, but Hulk drives a huge goofy Hulk car with a huge goofy Hulk fist attached to the front

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

LORD OF BUTT posted:

That doesn't make it any less likely that they were scared of the possibility of it bombing. It just worked out well for them.

Man if you've dumped half a billion into the production and marketing of a movie, I feel like being scared about it bombing is "a basic and expected human reaction", so those are some pretty weak rear end goalposts

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Everyone name a movie you've watched more than twenty times that wasn't something constantly on TV like Just One Of The Guys.

My dad's seen Notting Hill at least 20 times, probably many many more. One time he had it on and I asked him what the name of Hugh Grant's character was. He shrugged and said, "Who gives a drat?"

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

That's the right reaction but otherwise what's the deal there? Did he have a thing for Julia Roberts?

Any time anyone in our family tried to isolate something about Notting Hill in order to get him hype about something else - Julia Roberts is in it, Hugh Grant is in it, the same guy wrote it, etc. - his reaction would be complete disinterest. Dude just really wanted to come home from a brutal 16-hour workday, watch Notting Hill, and go to sleep

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

GonSmithe posted:

Yes correct that is the current CineD Hivemind, you must think this way or you will be banned.

"All Marvel movies are really bad" joins "Michael Bay is really good" as CineD Hivemind opinions that most people in CineD don't actually hold

Jenny Angel fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 4, 2016

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

It's their lovely writer who keeps using the phrase "DC's Cinematic Murderverse," he's trying to be the Rush Limbaugh of dumb comic book news.

Man why is it that pretty much the only time I can recall seeing the word "murder" used to refer to a superhero's use of lethal force is Superman snapping Zod's neck,

She asked rhetorically

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
He stands for truth, justice, a history of financial success, and significant cultural cachet

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
loving lol at the idea that Tessa Thompson isn't talented, between Creed and Dear White People

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Josh Lyman posted:

Pretty much everyone thought it was amazing, some LOTR-scale monumental achievement by Whedon, hence the 92% RT score.

The goalposts for superhero movies are so weird and lowballed, to paraphrase SMG, I sometimes wonder if the folks who indulge in this kind of faint praise even like superhero comics. E.g. when I made some posts lightly criticizing the fight choreography in Deadpool compared to action comedy masters like Chan/Hung and Wright or low budget brutality masters like Evans/Uwais and the response centered on, "Yeah, but for a superhero movie . . ."

That's a milder example because there definitely was plenty of nonstandard stuff worth calling out in Deadpool, and I was more focusing on how its weaker points lined up with what I was most interested in seeing done well. But with the original Avengers it was full bore, with all sorts of praise for fundamentally basic poo poo like "juggling an ensemble cast" and "showing up with its shoelaces tied"

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Cythereal posted:

According to the reviews, Tony is finally carrying over his character development and going "You know what? I hosed up big time, and I am sick and tired of watching people die because of people like me thinking they know better than everyone else. Ultron was the last straw."

Yeah like, Iron Man's been in exactly one good movie so I'm not super enthused to stan for him, but it seems completely reasonable for someone like him to arrive at a lesson like this way too late and overcorrect for it as a result

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

That's fine. I'm totally comfortable saying that Stark will be back to his old arrogant self in subsequent movies. Marvel's system demands it.

See I'm not even sure that this represents a departure from his old arrogant self, since "I admit I've made mistakes, but don't worry, I know exactly how to fix them, and why yes, it does involve everyone else also changing their behavior even though I'm the primary one that hosed up" feels pretty internally consistent with Tony

Obviously this is all a little moot given Civil War ain't out yet, but I feel like it's important to acknowledge the spectrum of where they could feasibly go with it rather than defaulting to "it's Marvel, they'll be infuriatingly glib about it". And I say this as someone whose favorite Marvel movie is Iron Man 3, aka the one where Tony's cathartic and redemptive arc gets effetively tossed away the next time we see him

In retrospect, the post-credits scene where Banner reveals he dozed off for most of the movie feels... unfortunately metatextual

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

I swear I was less irritated by this until IM3 came out, which had some actual resolution and development for the character that was immediately walked back.

Oh for sure. If Tony just shows up in every movie and makes the same mistakes and is generally a miserable hubristic prick, that's fine. That's maybe not a character I'm super interested in watching, but that's a character. But Shane Black navigated his arc in Iron Man 3 surprisingly deftly, and it's more than a little disappointing to have that walked back entirely without incident

Like, I'd even be sorta alright with him backsliding on that character development if it was something that got addressed, like folks in Ultron are surprised that he's back on this megalomania poo poo because they thought he outgrew that. But as it is, it feels like they had a specific starting point in mind for Tony in each of the subsequent team-up movies, so the stuff that happened outside of them was expendable

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Why doesn't he just powerbomb Natasha?

He kinda does, though, onto the little table

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Jenny Angel posted:

He kinda does, though, onto the little table

Also can I just say that HUNDU's love of powerbombs is like my favorite recurring bit in CineD

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

You want to know where it comes from, casting all these pro wrestlers in movies. Every other wrestling move looks totally unnatural but the way they choreograph these fights always seems like someone is about to get powerbombed. Spectre had a prime scene for Craig to get put through a table and they just squandered it.

Action choreography for women in a lot of movies seems like there's a box they have to check off calling for at least one overwrought tilt-a-whirl hurricanrana

It really makes me appreciate the Rodriguez/Carano fight in Furious 6 where it's, by comparison, a brutal exercise in throwing each other down flights of stairs and locking in armbars

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Gina Carano is good for fight choreography because she knows how to throw a good looking punch, Rousey not so much.

Yeah, the fight with Rousey in 7 is definitely a step down, partly for the reasons you identified and partly because it plays a lot into chickfight tropes in that they're in super-fancy dresses and everyone's throwing goofy spin kicks. By contrast, there's something refreshingly unexpected about seeing two women in beat-up leather jackets gently caress each other up in a grimy train station

Jenny Angel fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 14, 2016

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Vintersorg posted:

That is a garbage fight scene. Nothing looks like it has any impact - just dancing around. Winter Soldier gets elbowed in the loving head multiple times but he's fine? Come on.

For sure. The lacking foley work is a huge part of it, so even when someone gets sent flying or slammed into a table, everything feels very anodyne and stagey

That said, it's important to look at where it succeeds! I think the first few seconds of that clip are legitimately dope, largely because the camerawork focuses on distancing and occluding Bucky's fight against the two nameless dorks. We get some solid vertical bars cordoning off the sweaty Tony sections of the shots from the soft focus Bucky sections, so the effect is a thought balloon showing Tony stressing about the asskicking he's about to receive

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Sir Kodiak posted:

Nah, people's outfits were impeccable in BvS.

Justice for Mercy Graves

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Snowman_McK posted:

Seriously, just watch the finale of Flash Point. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv6UKYEh76M

There are powerbombs in this, so it passes all the critical tests we've been discussing for the last few pages

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I want to see more people talk about "what they would do" in some more fight scenes.

In my senior year of college, I had to get a new roommate setup because most of my old ones had graduated. The one remaining roommate suggested we get a triple with another of his friends, and I agreed, having met the guy a few times and having no immediate problems with him. They were mostly pleasant guys, but they could be unbearable when I was trying to sleep. One night at something like 3 AM, I heard a bunch of sounds of clattering and crashing in the common room, so I marched out there, groggy and pissed off. Turns out these clowns had just blazed it and were having some impromptu wrestling matches

This felt especially assholish of them, given that the one who'd also been my roommate last year should have remembered the saga where the people living above us that year kept making it impossible for us to sleep by crashing around late at night and left us a note threatening to set us on fire when we tried to get them to stop. So anything that even resembled their behavior should've been on the top of his list to avoid, but whatever, nobody makes their best decisions when they're high

So I asked them as politely as I could to stop, pointed out that there were people below us, and so on. They agreed in principle, but demanded that if I wanted them to stop, I'd have to defeat both of them in wrestling matches. I was way too groggy to argue and knocking over some stoners didn't seem like the hardest thing in the world, so I agreed. First guy stepped up, I got a single leg takedown on him in about five seconds. Both of them lost their poo poo, next guy stepped up, I just kinda pushed him over in about three seconds

I was about ready to go back to bed, confident that I'd solved the problem, but they told me to hold up because they had one last request, just one more, they promised. They were both losing their poo poo at the next-level martial arts I'd just busted out on them, and wanted to know what the names of the martial arts moves I'd used were. I didn't have the heart to say "Dude I just pushed you over because you're high as a kite, that's not martial arts", so I told them the single leg was called a Serpent Rush and the shoving was called a Burning Palm. They lost their poo poo even more upon hearing that, but finally held up their end of the bargain and went to sleep

I guarantee you that, to this day, whenever one of them watches a fight scene, they think to themselves "Yeah, if I was in this fight, I'd just do a Serpent Rush"

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Luthor's piss. Luthor's vile piss. Fear the vile man's piss

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Effie is like the best part of The Hunger Games, and Banks is getting enough other high-profile work (regardless of whether she's the lead or not) that whoever's allegedly blackballing her seems to be doing an extremely lovely job

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Tony Stark posted:

Don't eyeball me, Pete! I've seen your aunt driving up and down these streets looking at me! I'll be your uncle in about a week!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
[in extremely disgusted voice] A For Kids version of Lord Zedd from Power Rangers

• Locked thread