Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Come to think of it, there hasn't really been a Lex equivalent in the MCU yet, has there? I mean in the "evil corporation" sense. Usually the big faceless opposition is one government agency or another. There was kind of Jeff Bridges in the first Iron Man, but the takeaway from that movie was more "corporations can still be good, the people are just bad!"

It's just interesting comparing it to Man of Steel where the military is kind of an antagonist but more of a Godzilla 2014 way of "well meaning but incompetent".

e: I guess there's kind of Iron Man 3 too but that guy was a military contractor and he was pretending to be a terrorist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ramadu posted:

I thought Man of Steel was a pretty fun superhero movie but an awful Superman movie. Like, they were arguing for children to die in it unironically.

The birthing matrix Clark destroyed was empty, and even it wasn't that's "killing children" in the same way Planned Parenthood does.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Terrible Horse posted:

Not a shithead, but definitely the voice of paranoid distrust in humanity in Clark's head that counters Jor El's optimistic hope. Which is kind of a shame; Superman's power should come from Krypton, and his sense of decency and hope should come from his folks, in my opinion.

Clark doesn't really distrust humanity. The reason why he doesn't reveal himself earlier than he did is because he doesn't know who he is. And if he doesn't know that, how can anyone else?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

iSheep posted:

Nothing about this video convinces me that there was intentional buildup to Civil War other than We Need To Make Civil War Now.

There actually pretty clearly wasn't, otherwise Civil War would be the capstone film of Phase 2 instead of Age of Ultron.

It would actually fit pretty well too since Tony had experience with those fire breathing dudes and all that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

McCloud posted:

And that was the first, and only time,Superman killed anyone.

Not for lack of trying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQabrSpKcJw

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

McCloud posted:

Doomsday I'll grant you, embarrisingly I plain forgot him. Regarding killing, I was (a bit unclearly) referring to post crisis Superman. Elseworlds and precrisis supes don't really matter because they aren't the 'real' Supes.
Also people didn't complain about injustice Superman because it wasn't real Superman, just like they didn't complain about Red Son Superman lobotomising insurgents, you know that too.

Technically nothing before 2011 is the "real" Supes either.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I don't usually rewatch media at all. When I do, there's usually significant amount of time between viewings (eg, I saw ROTK in theaters and then not until I got the Extended Edition Blu-Rays).

I find at least these days there's enough media that I don't really need to rewatch stuff.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Captain America not being able to get drunk in TFA was sadder than Bucky dying.

Man, I really need to rewatch Star Wars now.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The second idea is awful because nobody deserves to die, that's why killing is wrong. Without "nobody deserves to die," a no-kill rule is inconsistent and hypocritical -- it's just saying "our hands should remain clean."

That's how a significant amount of people think. For example, a lot of people oppose intervention in the middle east because they think we're then responsible for everything that happens during it. The actual conflict is something close to "those drat Arabs are just too bloodthirsty to be reasoned with".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

counterfeitsaint posted:

Both Spiderman and Johnny Blaze want you to stop being outraged on their behalf if you would.

Emphasis on Spiderman, not Peter Parker.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

greatn posted:

Lego Batman was funny in the movie but completely a one note joke, who was wisely used sparingly. I don't know how he can really sustain a movie.

I thought this wasn't that Lego Batman. This is just a Batman that happens to be Lego.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Scyantific posted:

That's kind of funny considering how many villains TV Flash has straight up murdered this season.

1, maybe 2?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Colonel Whitey posted:

Nobody is saying it's "pure" I think we just appreciate it because they were able to smuggle resonant themes about childhood and parenting into what could have been a cynical lazy cash-in. You could replace the Legos with generic models or classic toys still in the box and the general theme would be the same.

Toy Story tries to tackle that theme but it comes off in a different manner.

Part of it really is that Legos are unique because they're so customizable. Yeah you can do the "Mrs. Nesbit" scene from Toy Story but in general there's a lot less wiggle room for "toy cowboy" instead of "generic Lego man".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kurzon posted:

Just saw Batman v Superman. It's about as dumb a movie as I expected it to be. Everything story element you came to expect from the trailers is there and little else. It's worse than Man of Steel. The plot reminds me of Amazing Spider-Man 2 in terms of shoehorned characters, overly-long and flashy fight scenes, and an attempt to rush a shared universe into existence.

But is it Amazing Spiderman mixed with Phantom Menace?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I'm actually excited to see BvS to see if it's as bad as the early reviews are making out.

Because holy poo poo that sounds awful.

What were your impressions of Man of Steel?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gyges posted:

Before I can answer these questions I need to be reminded, was it originally from Entertainment Weekly?

It's a set photo so there's a million (higher res) copies all over the internet.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Even know I know the CW series is separate, I hope for the Flash film they get a theme sort of like the TV series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbl2u7FzS3Y

It's fast paced (obviously) but it's also full of brass and it's the sort of triumphant music that we're conditioned to enjoy.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Skwirl posted:

I'm also curious about Joss Whedon's 4 hour cut of Avengers 2, but I'm pretty sure that's still going to be terrible.

I think he said that's not coming out for whatever reason.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Doflamingo posted:

Excuses. The studio cut is all we have to go on right now and by all accounts it's poo poo. The director's cut might elevate it somewhat but it's not going to suddenly turn into this remarkable work of art. Most people aren't going to be exposed to that cut anyway.

Most people seem to enjoy the film as given.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Doflamingo posted:

Do you think most people enjoyed Man of Steel, as well?

It made what, $700 million? Seems like it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It was only in the high 200 mil range in the US though. Which is not objectively bad, but definitely under-performing for one of the biggest superheros of all time.

It made just under $300 million in the US. For reference, Superman Returns made just about exactly $200 million, and Batman Begins made the same amount.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Deadline is reporting that BvS is gearing to become the best opening in WB's story

That has to be good news, right?

It's interesting because the primary complaint of the movie is that it's overstuffed, yet the Justice League tie-in stuff is actually the most well received (at least the Wonder Woman stuff).

This is probably the worst of it (length wise) though, the origin movies probably won't introduce as much and Justice League won't have to introduce any new characters. Maybe Part 1 will be a little hairy because they have to introduce Darkseid (I assume).

e: I hadn't realized we just had Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman before Justice League 1 (which is next fall). Yeah this is going to be interesting.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 27, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

wyoming posted:

Bizarre you that you think killing while cracking wise is somehow lighthearted.

Works for Tony Stark.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah if you were going to make a Justice League movie, I'd just go with how Justice League started, War of the Worlds and then all 7 of these heroes decide to work together and then eventually say "Hey we did good, let's make this a permanent thing"

Maybe the twist is that we've been watching the universe where the Justice League becomes the Justice Lords and 5 movies later we get the actual good universe Justice League to kick their asses.

There's such a strange rationalization to want to declare these movies as "non-canon" so people don't have to care about them.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

multijoe posted:

It does mean WB is more likely to let Snyder keep doing his thing and less tempted to pull a 180 on the franchise and break out the quip book and low consequences 'fun'. In that sense, I am glad the film is selling well

Makes that one article about WB executives "making GBS threads their pants and making all the movies standalone" that much funnier.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TFRazorsaw posted:

People going out of their way to defend this movie sure do bring up comparisons to Marvel more than actual Marvel fans. Seems kind of insecure. Why do you think the alternative is Marvel?

Because a large proportion of critics flat out said "this isn't Marvel (and I don't like it)".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TFRazorsaw posted:

I've seen it primarily from professional critics and BvS's own defenders than actual Marvel fans, but that's my own experience.

Why can't professional critics be Marvel fans?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TFRazorsaw posted:

And personally, going back to Man of Steel, all of Zod's pathos and nuance evaporate when, again, the plot forces him to be stupid for the sake of justifying his villainy. The plot opens other avenues for him by mentioning Kryptonian colonies, other potential worlds for him to rebuild Krypton on, and he insists like a spoiled child that it has to be Earth and no other place ever because he wants to be a super powered monster who can build an empire - which will do him a fat lot of good outside that solar system anyway. Not to mention all of his lackies are sneering uncharismatic thugs save Faora, who is cool because of how competent and confident she is in her viciousness.

The movie points out that the colonies fail specifically because they aren't self-sustaining. There's no reason to think even Mars would be sustainable without constant aid from Earth.

Even if it was, it's not a good idea to have Space Nazis right next door to you.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TFRazorsaw posted:

If I'm mistaken, I apologize. I've forgotten, though. What does the movie say about why Earth wouldn't fail while the others would? They're still sublimating one ecosystem for another, so the premise seems faulty to begin with.

In the end though, it doesn't matter much to BVS because Clark doesn't think about what he did to Zod at all. It's the extenuating collateral damage he had no control over hanging over his head.

From what we saw, the colonies reverted back to barren moon-like worlds, which is probably how they started out. Earth is already able to support life, and even if the terraforming fails they'll just get superpowers instead (though I don't think they knew that at the time of the speech).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Dave posted:

Not being a comics guy, how powerful is WW supposed to be? It felt a little off balance that she looked like she was having a blast and playing around while everyone else was on the brink of death. She came off as near invincible.

She's literally a God(dess) on Earth, as opposed to the pretender Superman. She's just of the Greek variety rather than the Yahweh one.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Boob Marley posted:

Money doesn't matter.
Only opinions matter.
Not our opinions though.
The opinions of critics.
And people who upvote star-ratings on IMDB years before the release of movies.

...but not even the 11,000 premature IMDB votes that placed BvS at 9.7 stars months ahead of its release could skew it hard enough to survive the harsh reality of its own awfulness.

There is no war between Marvel and DC studios. There is no throne. There is no scenario here where DC "wins".
When it comes down to making good movies, Marvel has no quarrel with DC. Just as a boot has no quarrel with an ant.

Nice meltdown.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 28, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ImpAtom posted:

I have the hardest time remembering literally anything about Thor 2. It's just so forgettable.

It featured a bunch of goo that's actually an Infinity Gem and I forget what happens to it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CelticPredator posted:

Only two movies have done that though. And those two were both directed by Zack Snyder. That man has a way of making me hate something I normally quite enjoy.

To me, it's like going to a party, but no one telling you it's a funeral. I kinda prefer the party tbh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn1VxaMEjRU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kulkasha posted:

Edit: What was the deal with the critics? Normally there would be a more even spread of opinions for a movie that made this much money, irregardless of quality. It's like the exact reverse of what happened with Dragon Age 2, the disconnect is bizarre.

The most charitable interpretation is that people have a tendency to react negatively when you give them something that they weren't expecting (on a high level, I don't mean a sudden twist in the plot or whatever). Critics have been conditioned to expect a superhero movie that does certain things, and BvS explicitly goes against those assumptions.

With Dragon Age 2, it was significantly different from the first game but it wasn't really that different for a Bioware RPG, or even an RPG in general. Also there's a lot of shilling in the video game industry, but that's a separate topic.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I saw BvS with someone who argued that there's no Christ imagery in the film and that I'm making it up and it's just left me really confused. I loved Jesse Eisenberg.

Now you know who scenes like this are for:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MacheteZombie posted:

I guess I'm just assuming in JL it'd be more brief and probably rounding up several of them at once to pitch the idea of Super Friends. Then again it's JL part 1, so the first hour could be just recruitment scenes.

Assuming it's Darkseid (which it is, we basically know that), The first part is probably his minions doing stuff on Earth. This requires the normally separate superheroes to team up, culminating with (big BvS spoiler) Superman coming back from the dead and then Part 2 is the assembled Justice League fighting him.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Steve2911 posted:

The only thing? They're doing the teamup movie before introducing the team.

The foundation of Justice League is Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. They've introduced at least two of those already, and Wonder Woman's getting her own film before the actual teamup film.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TheKingofSprings posted:

J'onn would make an incredible villain, actually.

Oh yeah, that would be fun for Part 1 of Justice League.

Especially if J'onn is converted from Darkseid to Superman by witnessing the latter's resurrection.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

bring back old gbs posted:

The entire way DC is going about their extended universe is weird. They took this movie to introduce Flash, WW, Aquaman, and Dr. Pepper Cyborg, instead of trying them on their own and replacing the actors if the films didn't work. Then they plan on doing their big team up movie BEFORE their individual movies? What if one sucks? Like you have this great team but one clear anchor weighing everything down? Now some clunky team member replacement thing needs to happen before the next movie can go forward with the Actual Good team, but that crappy guy was still around at the beginning.

Just seems strangely risky for a franchise.

Marvel was never going to recast any of their characters. The one exception is Hulk but being a bad actor is not why they recast him and he's a Green Man for most of the memorable parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Grendels Dad posted:

Not my Lego.

Like, seriously, used to be that you had to build your own poo poo with Lego blocks and nowadays it's basically ready-made Lego action figures. Get off my lawn, millenial Lego!

There's a very good documentary with Chris Pratt that came out recently about this topic.

• Locked thread