Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

The Sandman works so much better as a TV series than a movie anyway.

I bet people said that about Lucifer too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I said come in! posted:

I feel like it's perfectly okay to change some of this stuff about these super heroes. Batman in this new movie clearly kills people without mercy. Watch the latest trailer, he is body slamming bad guys through floors and slamming them head first into hard objects, no way anyone in that room he took out survived those brutal attacks.

In Arkham Asylum I dropped a guy head first into a cloud of poison, his status was unconscious.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

Preacher kind of does that.

It doesn't do it even a little bit. At one point he orders a dude go gently caress himself and orders another man to count every grain of sand on a beach.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TetsuoTW posted:

What was life like growing up with entirely handmade, homemade toys?

When your grandfather makes automatic weapons out of wood its pretty dope actually.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

Hey man, Jason Momoa was in that lovely, awful, terrible Conan remake.

Luckily for Momoa all people remember is how good he was as Drogo.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I think its kinda funny that Valerian is accused of plagiarism considering how many people (including Luc Besson) that has stolen ideas and designs from that comic.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tezcatlipoca posted:

That doesn't mean it isn't happening.

It kinda does, the costumes in the movie isn't even that different from the comics: http://screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/Valerian-Comic-Book-Luc-Besson.jpg

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

i honestly doesn't care if they look similar or not. I just think it's cool that someone is making a Valerian and Laureline movie, especially since that someone is Luc Besson. The guy clearly has a lot of love when it comes to French comics.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Alehkhs posted:

:

:wtc: Bit of a Fifth Element feel here?

Not that weird considering how heavily the Fifth Element borrowed from the original comic.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

They're going to have trouble topping The Fifth Element though.

i don't think it will. For one thing this is the movie that Luc Besson have been preparing to do all his life and as the interview says special effects has come a long way since that movie.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

setafd posted:

they're really gonna merc the one Asian girl in the movie, huh

Olivia Munn is Asian too:ssh:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The MSJ posted:

No, bring on more body horror.

i hope they include the story line from the comics where Krang literally takes over Shredderęs body:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The MSJ posted:

Who is hotter, Peter's Aunt or Superman's mom?

Ultimate aunt May or regular? Because the ultimate version is definitely hotter.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

The Attempted Suicide Squad

The This Is Really More Of A Cry For Help Squad

oddium posted:

that's not even the best part

His power was to survive multiple STDs.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

If the Dawn of the Dead remake wasn't titled Dawn of the Dead, it would have probably been more liked.

It was liked by most people. It got positive reviews and did decent at the box office.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie? That is basically a middelfinger to Wagner and I really love that (not to mention that she was great in Dear White People).

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The pilot is also directed by Neil Marshall, but its probably the most mediocre thing he has ever done.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Well less that and more that it would be really expensive.

One episode would just be Snow and Stone sitting and talking in a pub.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

So do you think I should read the comic first and then watch the movie or vice versa?

I think that you shouldn't watch the movie at all.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The LXG movie misses the point so thoroughly and systematically that one suspect it started out development as a separate movie, and became a League adaptation to avoid potential copyright infringement.

The irony if that is staggering.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I was being facetious, but then I checked Wikipedia and loving lol:

I doubt it's true, but drat

That lawsuit was really why Alan Moore decided to burn all bridges with DC. If DC had stood up for him then he might have continued to let his name be in the credits but they didn't and Moore decided that he no longer wanted to be associated with adaptations of his work.
It really is amazing how toxic that movie was, it ended bot COnnery's and Norrington's careers and was the last (only?) adaption of Moore's work where he is credited.

Hollismason posted:

Basically, people who read the book generally come on one side of the equation of saying

" Well yea, Veidt did what was necessary for the benefit of the many a few must suffer" which Jon agrees with (this is utilitarianism)

" Veidt was a monster who killed millions of people, but he did save lives and while I don't agree with his actions I would not want him punished because that could result in the deaths of more people " Which Dan views as the solution (this is normative ethics and pragmatism)

" Veidt is a monster what he did was wrong and he must be brought to justice" which is Rorschach's view. (moral absolutism)

The whole book in a way can be seen as a ethics test for the reader and who you agree with says a lot about you as a person.
"Veidt's actions were futile because nothing ever ends and sooner or later humanity will find a new way to kill themselves."

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 20, 2016

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

roffels posted:

What would DC have to do with this? League of Extraordinary Gentlemen wasn't published by DC, and the film wasn't made by Warner Brothers (who owns DC)

DC bought America's Best Comics which published League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

He's the world's greatest detective

Rorschach is a pretty lovely detective. If the thugs in the local bar can't give him any information he's stumped.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Well Batman is also The World's Greatest Detective and also not a very good detective.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

I hope during the climax every Squad member gets to explain how they too had a nefarious plan to take over the planet/turn everyone into lizards/hang everyone all movie long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0O5OPlDXGg

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Eagerly awaiting the Slipknot trailer.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Have we ever gotten Cain's opinion on the Crime Bible?

Considering it was carved on the stone he used to kill Abel with he's probably cool with it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

And out of loving nowhere Dark Universe (seemingly) escapes from Development Hell Guillermo del Toro.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Hype level is rising.

Also, how does Chris Pratt keep getting in better and better shape?

He stopped drinking beer.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

DeimosRising posted:

Like, what would a "kid friendly" Wolverine even be?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Dunno if that makes me feel better or worse

Considering that Ryan Reynolds is pretty much the reason why the movie was made and that the studio wanted to make it a generic family movie I wouldn't be too worried.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The MSJ posted:

I hope Edgar Wright is free for Deadpool (or he's even interested in the first place).

Do you seriously think that Edgar Wright of all people would touch a Marvel movie with a ten feet pole?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Dumb creator-owned stuff and also Powers, which genuinely owns

Honestly, the only Icon comics that can be called dumb creator-owned stuff is Millar's comics. Unless you want to call comics like Kabuki dumb.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hat Thoughts posted:

Probably my least favorite character in Mortal Kombat VS DC Universe

The fight with him in Arkham: Origins was great.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Look out:ohdear:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

LesterGroans posted:

I rewatched X-Men a couple months ago and was surprised how well it holds up. The Statue of Liberty claw-spin thing always looked awful, and it's loaded with clunky dialogue, but the best scenes are actually the dialogue-free vignettes throughout. The performances carry a lot of it and the finale has kind of looped around to being interesting and quaint compared to 15 years of world-ending Blue Sky Lasers.

It also have the best line of all the X-Men movies. You know the one.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The MSJ posted:

Nightwing is more of a secret agent in the recent comics. He's charming like Bond but fights like Bourne. It must also be reiterated that Dick Grayson is now famous within the various DC universes for his nice butt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcDbJdE3RLk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwBeK6S0u8Q

You forgot one:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Gatts posted:

Why does Batman need to knock others down pegs to feel better about himself.

Because Batman is an rear end in a top hat:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The MSJ posted:

Stephen Moyer to headline Fox's X-Men series. He was previously seen in True Blood either doing sex scenes with his wife, former X-Men Anna Paquin, or directing Anna Paquin's sex scenes with other actors.

Meanwhile:
https://twitter.com/DavidAyerMovies/status/836361383436431360

Here's the weird thing about DC: There's at least two different black skeleton characters who wears a suit in the DCU. Which makes it hard to say who that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

I thought the thing where there was a cure for mutants and characters had to confront the choice between being proud of tgeir identities or being 'normal' in X3 was pretty daring, albeit within the context of a pretty bad film.

Saying that Iceman's parents in X2 was right isn't daring.

• Locked thread