Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
If David Bowie could get away with this then anything is possible

https://twitter.com/damomac/status/686919933884788736

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Feige has said he wants the first one to be set in high school and have a real John Hughes vibe.
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/06/28/kevin-feige-next-spider-man-will-have-new-villains-john-hughes-vibe

So it's just going to be another MCU movie, but with 80's songs playing in the background every now and then?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
MCU films don't actually resemble silver age comics

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
making an entire movie about Lego Batman seems like the definition of :regd08:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I think the main point he's conveying is that no one actually cares about lethality and destruction in blockbuster films, they just want the filmmakers to let them know that they can feel good about it.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I don't really get the complaint that BvS was too depressing at all. I feel like it ends up in a much more optimistic, hopeful place than MOS did.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

TFRazorsaw posted:

So again, there's nothing they have to gain by being supremacist jerks, and they reject coexistence because of a fixation on their own nostalgia. I guess that's a fair bit less hollow.

But again, Superman has forgotten Zod. In fact, he's forgotten him by MOS's own epilogue. That being said, if we're expecting nuance from future villains, Lex and Doomsday already set a bad precedent, and Darkseid isn't known for being a character who lives in shades of gray. Heck, he's pretty much an anthropomorphic personification of evil - his draw has always been the grandeur and scope of it.

How is Lex not nuanced?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

TFRazorsaw posted:

The movie spends all of five minutes detailing what drives him and what his background is. Say what you will about the Thor movies, but we ar least get time spent dwelling on Loki's perspective and why he has daddy issues. Hell, even in its own universe, MOS spends a lot of energy on dwelling on Zod's pain at losing his people. Another comparison is Fisk in Daredevil, whose abuse is elaborated upon. Likewise, as monstrously irredeemable as he is, Killgrave's childhood that allegedly drove him to villainy is given context even as it raises questions to its legitimacy.

Lex? Gets "I was hurt and no one came to MY rescue." No look at his childhood, no flashbacks to his prayers going unanswered. Just a few lines and a bunch of pontificating about God that sounds like it was taken verbatim from a mid-2000's livejournal page. It's actually rather insulting, because it tries to use the serious issue of child abuse without any attention or care given to it, so all it serves as is a hastily delivered excuse.

Not having a super fleshed out backstory isn't the same thing as not being nuanced. He isn't motivated by being abused as a child, he's motivated by the fact that he's an impotent weirdo whose desires to be taken seriously are overshadowed by the massive forces he is playing around with. Lex's entire character is centered around being taken seriously by other people, to the point where he gets visibly flustered every time he screws up one of his pre-written villain speeches. He's an interesting mirror of Bruce Wayne in that the arrival of Superman amplifies his prior obsession and breaks him; Bruce viewed the destruction of the WayneCorp building as him losing his family on a larger scale, and Lex views Superman as an even larger shadow that he is stuck under after spending his entire life trying to fill his father's footsteps. Bruce realized that Superman is only a man and learns to accept him in order to fulfill his role as a protector, Lex cannot view Superman as anything but a god and loses everything in his quest to destroy him or drag him down to his own level.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

A weird thing that BvS does is re-establish the "Superman just blunders into situations and doesn't care about or even acknowledge all the collateral damage" complaint that people had about the destruction of Metropolis scene and turns that into a plot point around the massacre in the African village, but then flips that by revealing the African massacre was masterminded by Lex and wasn't Superman's fault in the slightest and people are dopes for doubting Superman's actions (which I'm interpreting as a really unsubtle dig at the people complaining about Mos) but then at the climax of BvS they have another Kryptonian-versus-Kryptonian battle where a whole bunch of buildings are 9/11'ed but this time they make it clear that civilians weren't in danger. C'mon guys, can we stick with just the one history revision instead of piling them up like this?

I thought the African woman was testifying about the negative side effects that came after the militia was taken out, not the battle itself. This would fit in with Pa Kent's anecdote about the horses.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Guy A. Person posted:

- I think a lot of families with kids didn't necessarily take them to the movies on a busy holiday weekend, and (again anecdotally) kids want to see Superman and Batman punch each other in the balls. This could potentially be hurt by some of the violence, but I don't really think it was too bad.

I think this is the key. Contrary to what the internet would like you to believe, young kids love stuff like BvS and Transformers and I think the film will cross the $1b mark on the back of families and casual moviegoers.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Barry Convex posted:

Uh, I'm pretty sure including Thursday night previews as part of Friday's total is common practice, not something invented for BvS.

I think the point he's making is that there wasn't a significant drop in between Friday and Saturday, BvS just made more money than usual on Thursday night

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Isn't Devin Faraci's site the one that constantly brings up "inside sources" that say that WB is perpetually secretly terrified about their own tentpole films?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
My favorite Devin Faraci story is the time he claimed that all anime was for pedophiles, immediately blocked anyone who disagreed, then compared the blowback to being a victim of domestic abuse

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Why can't a film about World War I be fun?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Burkion posted:

That's not actually what happened.

Sony is STILL going ahead with some of their franchise plans, and they never went back to Marvel.

Marvel wanted Spider-Man really bad and they came to SONY for the deal that was made. That's why Sony still has final say on everything and why the Spider-man movies are going to be a primarily Sony venture.

It's honestly kind of funny that people think that ASM2 not meeting expectations "saved" the franchise. The next Spider-Man film sounds like a complete clusterfuck because allegedly Sony and Marvel keep arguing about what direction to take the movie in.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Yaws posted:

I'm looking forward to Suicide Squad as well but mostly due to the second trailer and the rumor that they're doing reshoots to lighten the tone.

It's already been confirmed by multiple cast members that this isn't happening.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Can someone explain whats up with Ike Perlmutter? First I'm hearing the name and not sure what I'm looking for on Google.

Ike Perlmutter owns Marvel Comics and was once in charge of the film division before Feige booted him off. He's notorious for being a weirdo conservative rear end in a top hat, to the point where almost no photos of him exist on the internet.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
That's a very good trailer.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/_doraxx/status/719444475018362880

this film is going to own

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I don't think it's contradictory to say that the action scenes in TWS are great for an MCU film and average for an action film in general.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Man of Steel made almost all its money back through product placement, and I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the same is the case with BvS. People seem to forget that there's more to what makes a film successful than box office (ASM2 is a weird outlier in that Sony didnt have merchandising rights so a much larger importance was put on box office).

Most of the doomsaying about this film's performance seems to be coming from people who desperately want the film to be considered a flop (I'm sure WB wishes it could have made more money but that could be said of every film). We'll never know how successful BvS really was because we don't have access to the sales WB made through merchandise and product placement nor do we know what their internal metrics and expectations were. All we have to go on are the studio's actions going forward, and they don't seem particularly spooked by the film's performance.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Guy A. Person posted:

Finding out that the Norse gods were aliens all along doesn't really answer the question of "who created the universe we currently live in" tho. For a lot of Christians it probably if anything answers the questions of "why did various people from all over the world worship different sets of Gods*" which not only isn't incompatible with Christianity, you could argue it compliments it.

*to the extent that any Christian even gives a poo poo about this other than "you clearly made up your dumb god but my God is for real"

I think the comics addressed this by saying that above all the various gods is a capital-G God that created the Marvel universe.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Invalid Validation posted:

I don't think most of the people who post in this thread like superheroes or the comics they spend a lot of time reading.

Hating superhero comics is like the prime prerequisite for every superhero comics fan.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
That's a really good poster.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I can't remember the last time I read or cared about reviews for a major blockbuster movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
My personal philosophy for what makes art good and worthwhile is significantly different from most critics I've read, so sometimes negative reviews can be a positive for me and vice versa.

• Locked thread