Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MiddleOne posted:

90% it was there because some board member saw the Hulkbuster in one of the Age of Ultron trailers.

It wasn't the movie board members who did that, it was the merchandising board members

'Mega Armor' yeah alright sure :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The unexamined/unreconstructed part and the part that makes me wonder the most is the fact that Wakanda is clearly concieved of as a City of Gold/Fountain of Youth type setting, a "hidden" place of primary interest because of its natural resources.

They're a lot more open about that in the extended trailer where Klaw says "Explorers have searched for it ... called it El Dorado ... they looked for it in South America but it was in Africa the whole time"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAN_uQ4u2JQ&t=137s

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Burkion posted:

No there would be no dodging Superman if he wanted to punch you

Well not unless you have access to the Speed Force .....

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Teaser trailer for Infinity War. Don't waste your time, it's just a compilation of quick shots of fans' reaction videos to their other trailers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VbHg5fqBYw

Proper trailer tomorrow

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 28, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LesterGroans posted:

Excalibur isn't really a great movie, but it's definitely a great-looking movie. It's worth a watch.

Wait ..... armour with nipples ....

OMG

They're all about Excalibur!!! They've always been about Excalibur!!!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

got any sevens posted:

Did merlin teleport gallahad's clone?

He used the Charm of Making to disguise Uther as the Duke of Cornwall and then magically transported him across the water, same thing really.

Edit: also Patrick Stewart plays one of the knights so it's pretty darned Star Trekky

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 28, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Neurolimal posted:

As someone with no real malice in either general direction, DC fans do give off a really powerful aura of insecurity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F34diroLoPs

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

McSpanky posted:

Vibranium bullets, honest.

MCU characters love shooting people

https://i.imgur.com/7iFe9qb.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/xhpDcdG.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/dQYo8X8.gifv

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Electromax posted:

A well-done recent example IMO involved a dragon attack on a wagon caravan in HBO Game of Thrones, a lot of it is grounded in the confusion and panic among ground troops while everything burns around them, maybe that was driven by budget but made a more compelling horrific scene than watching it all from afar.

Also a surprising amount of the effects in that scene were done practically where they probably would have been done digitally in a bigger production. Need a shot of a bunch of guys being consumed by dragonfire? Dress up a bunch of stuntmen in armor and burn 'em up! (Make sure they can hold their breath a long time.) Need a shot of Dothraki screamers firing arrows while standing on the saddles of galloping horses? Train up some stuntmen!

They also did that "Bird's eye view zooming over the battlefield" shot that you always see in big CGI battle scenes but here they had an actual reason (one character was actually zooming over the battlefield on a dragon) and they used physical cameras on drones and on cables to get the shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w39HqtxKV98

Edit: people keep talking about how Steppenwolf's fight with the Amazons was one of the best scenes in Justice League but the lovely lovely CGI horses kept distracting the hell out of me. The technology just can't match actual horses shot by actual cameras.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 30, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Excluding Brannagh's movie which, whatever its flaws, had some genuinely trippy imagery, Loki IIRC has the horns for like one scene in Avengers (in Munich or wherever it was) and then ditches them so that Tom Hiddleston can actually act/turn his head

He also had his horned helmet during the invasion of New York until Hawkeye shoots him off his skysled and he takes a tumble.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

bushisms.txt posted:

Considering how bad suicide squad was and yet better received by "fans" than BvS, can you blame them? Stop thinking about making good films and make sure the fans get all the fan service they can tolerate.

There's entire companies that do nothing but monitor social media and count the number of "mentions" that a film or a character will get on Facebook or Twitter or Youtube etc etc and collate all the data for the studio executives. You can absolutely bet your rear end that they have good hard evidence that certain demographics got way way more excited about Harley Quinn than any of the other DCEU characters and the executives will have funneled a ton of money into Harley Quinn project development.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ghosthotel posted:

The only MRA outrage I recall about Wonder Woman was a bunch of them freaking out that a theater was doing a women-only screening for the movie.

Jimbot posted:

Didn't they respond saying they already had a men-only screening and posted the "Entourage" poster or something? Or was that a random twitter reply? Either way, I laughed.

Also when It came out the MRAs went "Oh I guess you're going to have clown-only screenings now?" and the cinema went "Okay, sure!" :v:
http://gothamist.com/2017/09/10/photos_from_the_clowns-only_it_scre.php#photo-1

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

https://twitter.com/DavidAyerMovies/status/936774424111431680

Is Ayer still attached to any of those films spun from Suicide Squad?

He was announced as director for Gotham City Sirens
https://twitter.com/DavidAyerMovies/status/808859034463764484

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Serf posted:

you say that like it would somehow be a bad thing

We already know it'd be a good thing because he already had a beard in MoS and it was good

https://i.imgur.com/uRLwFpw.gifv

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Electromax posted:

If his beard grew in the coffin, so did his hair :colbert:

His chest wound obviously healed in the coffin so it's not like his metabolism was completely shut down, there's absolutely no reason his hair & beard couldn't have grown

Edit: wait, do we blame Snyder or Whedon or studio meddling for this?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I don't think we ever see him shirtless do we? I assume they sewed him up for the funeral at least

I think he's shirtless when they submerge him in the goo in the kryptonian ship before resurrecting him but I might be remembering wrong

Edit: I was wrong, he was still in the suit when Aquaman dumped him in the goo, he was shirtless after smashing up through the ceiling of the ship

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 2, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

got any sevens posted:

Is there not a bvs thread anymore

Every thread is a BvS thread.

If you seek its monument, look around you.

Burkion posted:

Because again, this isn't the Lex Luthor they're used to.

Nor should it be, being honest.

The Lex Luthor most people are familiar with is the one from the 80s, who informed the Animated series adaptation and most of them after.

He is a power player big business super man, suave and charismatic. The peak of humanity without any of the morality to hold him back. 80s Business type writ large, never without a flashy suit or beautiful woman on his arm.

Justice League spoiler: the bald, flashy suit with beautiful women on his arm Lex appears in the post credits scene.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Dec 3, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Detective No. 27 posted:

He's an inspired choice for Lex. I loved his speech at the party.
Books are knowledge and knowledge is power, and I am... no. Um, no. What am I? What was I saying? The bittersweet pain among men is having knowledge with no power because... because that is paradoxical and, um... thank you for coming.

Eisenberg ad-libbing that is hilarious and impressive.

The speech is even better when you remember that he's deliberately invited three of the most powerful superheroes to the event and they're all lacking very specific knowledge

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Speaking of, here's a 20 minute video about how the action scenes in Dark Knight are a goddamn mess:
https://vimeo.com/28792404

"Continuity? What continuity???"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MiddleOne posted:

Like if any of you guys think this is a good way of analyzing editing then I fully get why you're having trouble understanding why audiences collectively found Suicide Squad dull and confusing.

It's more a critique of direction/blocking/continuity than anything and a lot of that could be down to the scene getting cut down or shuffled around for reasons of timing. The editor did a drat fine job cobbling all those mismatched shots into a scene that flowed and made total sense to the audience. I don't remember feeling that anything was out of place when I watched the scene.

It's just interesting when a guy takes you by the hand and slowly points out all the inconsistencies and you go "Holy poo poo I would never have noticed any of that"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MiddleOne posted:

Audience receptions and sales do not have a causal relationship.
I'd say that the sales for the opening weekend would be more of a reflection of the studio's promotional campaign and PR fallouts, but once you get past that point then the word of mouth (ie: audience reception) becomes a much bigger factor than anything else.

MiddleOne posted:

Suicide Squad while a disappointing at best movie is a great example of how you can sell anything in the short-term if you slush enough beloved brands, marketing and funds into a blender, the slumping sales of Justice League arguably being the long-term consequences of this strategy.
Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman had much better legs than any of the other DCEU offerings. The audiences for MoS, BvS and JL fell off really severealy after the first few weeks but SS nearly caught up to BvS after a much slower start and WW powered right past everything else after an even slower start:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah you could tell from day 1 that it was in deep trouble:

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/c...e-League-(2017)
There was a chance it might have eventually caught up to MoS if it had the same kind of momentum as Wonder Woman but its numbers are dropping off even faster than MoS and BvS. It's got the worst legs out of all the DCEU films, that gap just keeps getting wider and wider. After the 3rd weekend since release its domestic box office is $51m behind where MoS was at on its 3rd weekend and $100m behind BvS.

If it was just a matter of establishing a brand and then serving up what the audiences expected each time then WW should have got them back into the audience's good books and had a positive follow on effect on Justice League's sales but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shageletic posted:

That's pretty fascinating. I hear the DC exec shakeup happened pre Justice League, I wonder it was a result of the disappointing reception of Suicide Squad.

Were they disappointed with it's reception, though? It's pretty clear from FoldableHuman's description that they were in a blind panic during the filming & editing processes but judging from how many sequels and spinoffs they now have planned around it they can't be all that disappointed.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shageletic posted:

Who knows exactly what is going on. But it seems logical to me that in a realm not governed by actual profits and losses, but rather a horse race deciding whose shares go higher in basically a duopoly, the appearance of losing can be deeply affecting. And the narrative is that Marvel is very much ahead.

So the scramble for related properties might just be a Sony like panic for Aunt May related projects a couple years back. I mean, in the end all these movies make bank but I think for a lot of dumb reasons primacy counts.

I'd even go as far as to say that it's a three way fight between the comicbook shared cinematic universes of Marvel, DC and Fox's X-Meniverse. Fox had a few stumbles along the way (especially with Fantastic Four) but they gained a lot of ground recently with Logan and Deadpool.

Given how cheesy their other X-Men films have been it's kind've weird that Fox managed to pull out some "dark and gritty" films that met with fan approval when the general perception is that DC kept trying and failing to achieve the same thing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Ok so Enchantress is powered by souls, right? And Katana has a sword that eats souls, right?

Yeah.

See where I'm going with this?

Yeah! Enchantress gets shot, by... A bullet!

EXACTLY!

Harley cut her heart out with Katana's magic sword and then Flagg crushes the heart, she wasn't shot

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
By the way it's hilarious that everyone was ragging on Foldy for saying that Suicide Squad was such a mess that even people who liked it would miss a major character's death and everyone's response was "Slipknot wasn't a major character, who could he possible mean???" which I guess means that everyone completrely forgot Diablo's death .... probably because the film was such a mess that you totally forgot about it in amongst all that other crazy poo poo that was happening at the same time. :v:

Edit: I also totally forgot about it and only remembered because I looked up the plot on Wikipedia

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

He shoots a brick of C4 they chuck into Enchantress's big magic generator glowy blob that's powering her big floaty cannon which is carving up all the military's bases and hardware in orbit and at sea. Then she's like "ah nuts you ruined my plan but I'll still get you" and the fight keeps going.... IIRC..? lol gettin exposed in this thread as a bad movie rememberer

The big floaty magic machine became vulnerable to physical attack because Incubus got blowed up and Enchantress got her heart cut out. After that happens she's left completely weakened and actually begs Katana to kill her so she can rejoin her dead brother

Edit: and Incubus became vulnerable to physical attack because .... uh .... he used up all his magical powers fighting Aztec God-version Diablo to a strandstill? I guess?? :shrug:

Edit 2: the only reason I know that stuff was because I just looked up those scenes on Youtube

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 4, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

brawleh posted:

Bit late on this, but the only thing that comes to mind here is Joker and the helicopter crash - that appears to be the off-screen death being referenced. It's been awhile since i've watched SS though.

However it's still not confusingly conveyed within the film, just left open ended.

Nah he comes back at the end and breaks Harley out of jail.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Remember all the weird promotional poo poo the studio pulled out to try and drum up interest in Suicide Squad? The tattoo parlor at a convention where they were giving away free tattoos, both temporary & permanent? The photos of all the cast members giving each other SKWAD tattoos?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Dammit now I'm tempted to go back and watch Suicide Squad again.

Edit: should watch the theatrical version or the extended release?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh man I don't know how I feel about that. It was only a couple of hours ago that I was making a post saying "Hey remember when they were doing all those weird promo things for Suicide Squad like giving away free tattoos at a convention? Wasn't that weird??"

I guess it's a thing now? :shrug:

On the other hand there sure are a lot of people out there with Harley Quinn tattoos and I guess there's a whole bunch with Deadpool tattoos so it kind've makes sense that the studios would roll with it ...

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

got any sevens posted:

Whens the next comic movie coming out, deadpool2?

Black Panther, Feb 16.
New Mutants, April 13.
Avengers: Infinity War, May 4
Deadpool 2, June 1
The Incredibles 2, June 15
Ant-Man and the Wasp, July 6
Alita: Battle Angel, July 20
Teen Titans Go! To The Movies, July 27
Venom, October 5
Dark Phoenix, November 2
Animated Spider-Man, Dec 14
Aquaman, Dec 21

Edit: I might as well list all of 2018's superhero/comicbook films while I'm at it

Edit 2: whoa, forgot Venom. That makes 12 for 2018 so far, there might be more announced down the road. There's also at least 10 listed for 2019 already with a bunch of "Untitled [Marvel/DC/whatever] film" slots waiting to be filled.

Edit 3: and just for the sake of comparison there were 10 superhero/comicbook films released this year (Lego Batman Movie, Logan, Power Rangers, Ghost In The Shell, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2, Wonder Woman, Spider-Man: Homecoming, Valerian and the City of A Thousand Planets, Thor: Ragnarok, Justice League), 8 in 2016 and only 3 in 2015 as far as I can see.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 6, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Aquaman, Dec 21 2018

So principal filming on this wrapped in October .... who wants to lay odds on how much reshooting they'll be doing in the wake of Justice League's reception and who wants to lay odds on the film not even being released?? :v:

They've got at least 4 other DCEU films in pretty deep pre-production which have been assigned release dates, at least 8 more films in development that have had directors, writers and producers attached to them and at least another half dozen that are in the early planning stages. Everyone involved must be pretty loving nervous right about now.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Extended_Universe#Upcoming

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 6, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Burkion posted:

Shoulda been Devito

It really should
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cR4ADXBkII

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowman_McK posted:

Wonder Woman just made a bajillion dollars. Everything else they've released has done really well. Justice League is the first real hiccup, and it's got some pretty specific asterixes over it. How the gently caress does everyone in this thread have such a bad memory?

And why would they not release it? The gently caress is this post?

'Hiccup'. :rolleyes:

They hosed up really, really badly.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Hey remember that Forbes article that said WB faces a possible $50m - $100m loss on Justice League? I wasn't totally convinced by his box office predictions when the article first came out but it looks like his projection of a $235m domestic box office is going to be pretty much exactly spot on. So I guess his prediction that it'll end up with a total worldwide theatrical gross of $635 million might also be pretty spot on.

That means it stands to make roughly $75 million less than Amazing Spider-Man 2, the film which was so disappointing that Sony dumped the series (even though they'd announced a whole bunch of sequels and spinoffs) and had to wait for things to cool off for a few years before they went and begged Marvel to help them bail it out.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 7, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Wonder Woman's success is not going to help the other DCEU films going forwards until the release of WW2 which is still two years and several films away in their schedule. They did a breakdown of WW's audience demographics and found that there was an extraordinarily high number of women, people over 50 and infrequent moviegoers compared to other superhero blockbusters. The other thing we know about those people is that they probably didn't go see BvS even though Wonder Woman had a minor role in it and they almost certainly didn't buy a ticket to Justice League even though it featured Wonder Woman fairly prominently. The people who ensured WW's box office success are a fairly varied bunch but the one factor that they all seem to have in common is that they're not interested in watching superhero films that have male leads.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I think Jason Momoa may pull in some women

He sure didn't the last time he had a starring role which was in the Conan reboot. :v:

Guy A. Person posted:

Ah, so I was wondering where you got your theory that WB was gonna cancel Aquaman and scrap everything and this makes sense now.

It's still drastically different because ASM2 was their single launching point and as far as I know they didn't have anything else even to the point of pre-production .

WB still has WW and SS as huge hits, both in fact making inroads into demographics that superhero movie usually don't do great in. I can definitely understand them panicking but they'd be stupid* to scrap everything instead of just like, quietly pretending JL didn't exist and playing up their strengths.

Aquaman is in a unique spot because they still have time to gently caress with it but loving with it would cost money and they hopefully just learned a lesson that throwing stupid amounts of money at something doesn't guarantee a return. They still might gently caress with it tho.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that there's a high chance that they'll cancel Aquaman, or even a good chance. But they'll sure as hell be panicking right now and considering every possible option and one of those options will be "Cut our losses and start over". You know they'll have at least discussed it so there's some chance it might happen.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 7, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
You guys might be joking but I'm pretty sure this is exactly how we ended up with a Gambit movie starring Channing Tatum.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Oh hey they've finally got a title for this. It was still listed as "Untitled Sony animated Spider-Man film" when I check 4 days ago.

I guess they're leaning hard into the shared universe concept by starting with their big team up film and I guess branching out into individual films afterwards which is a bold new take.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Nasgate posted:

I think this isn't limited to GotG. From what I recall, Spiderman and Hulk(not banner) are really the only characters in the MCU that aren't either active or knowingly complicit in the deaths of innocents or extrajudicial killing. And they're both teenagers mentally.

MCU Spider-Man doesn't even have the "unintentional but still complicit connection to Uncle Ben's death" shtick he almost always obsesses over

Edit: or Gwen Stacy

Edit: or his best friend's evil Goblin father

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Gatts posted:

So what comes after comic book movies? Like, is it just remakes of remakes with a smattering of good stuff until end of time? What's the next trend? Video Game movies?

Oh they're already well underway on the video game trend but they just can't get it right so it refuses to take off, they've been trying to crack that nut since the early 90s. We recently had Warcraft and Assassin's Creed movies and in a few months we'll have Rampage with The Rock and a rebooted Tomb Raider. Apparently we'll be getting films based on Sonic the Hedgehog, Detective Pikachu and Minecraft in 2019.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_based_on_video_games#International_live-action_films

There's dozens and dozens more movie adaptations of video game IPs that have been announced, we're supposed to be getting a big budget Tetris trilogy at some point: http://variety.com/2016/film/news/tetris-movie-trilogy-1201805092/

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 15, 2017

• Locked thread