Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Who on earth was gonna be upset by Billy Dee Williams though?

The same people who'd be upset about Idris Elba?? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tom Gorman posted:

Batman gets shoved into lockers and pantsed in gym class for 2 hours 49 minutes.

Be careful what you wish for

http://batman.wikia.com/wiki/Gotham_High

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

teagone posted:

It's still likely going to destroy the box office so meh. It won't have legs, but it'll probably be front-loaded.

Speaking from purely personal experience (when I went online earlier today to see if I could get a ticket for tomorrow, which is opening say here in Australia) it's doing good business but it's nowhere near doing Avengers business. None of the sessions in the biggest cinema in my city were sold out. I would have had real problems trying to find a ticket for the first Avengers movie the day before its release.

Grendels Dad posted:

At least for Cap you can say that he has always been against preemptive strikes, rule through fear and so forth. Whatever legislation starts the Civil War seems to be more of the same stuff Hydra tried to pull off, but this time it's totally not Hydra!
Tony also nearly caused the extinction of the entire human race via his unchecked hubris so it's understandable that he might have a change of mind and try to fix his mistake by going all in on creating a system of oversight on people like him.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Equeen posted:

A movie where Batman kills is nothing new.

In fact, if you include "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you" deaths (which would at least count as negligent homicide or perhaps voluntary manslaughter) then the only Batman film where he doesn't cause any deaths is Batman and Robin. That includes Batman 1966.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psVIG7YvdjM

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Grendels Dad posted:

I'm pretty sure Bane bites it in B&R, and possibly some random goons. That might be on Robin though, he's a loose cannon!

Nah, he just gets de-Venomed and turned back into a regular guy.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

teagone posted:

:allears:

Really hope the solo Wonder Woman film will be good. :ohdear:

She mentions in BvS that she left "the world of man" for 100 years since that photo was taken so I'm guessing that's an indication that the Wonder Woman standalone film will be pretty goddamned dour, at least towards the end, if it makes her react that way.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Speaking of WWI comic book movies, anyone like Luc Besson's Adèle Blanc-Sec movie? I had some troubles with it, because he took a pretty dark comic series (it includes WWI at some point, in all it's butchery), and turned it a funny adventure (sort-of trying for a French Indiana Jones, I guess). And that's a legitimate idea and not necessarily a bad movie, but the disconnect was pretty strong throughout for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAhmCHnNcWs

I loved the Adèle Blanc-Sec film, she's pretty much a female early 20th century Indiana Jones mixed with the sense of humour from the Tintin comics. They're apparently planning two other films.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah, but like I said the comic is... very much not that.

It's by french artist Jacques Tardi, who is... well, cynical is a way of describing him. He did a lot of stuff on WWI, especially focuse don the stupid butchery and the terribleness of the leadership and the pointlessness of the war.

I've been meaning to pick up the comics for years now but my high school French isn't anywhere good enough for me to read the comics in their original language and I'm having a heck of a time finding affordable English translations (postage rates to this side of the world suck). I'll get around to it one day. :(

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

broken clock opsec posted:

Iron Man flamethrowers people flat out in his first outing. But I guess it's fine because Marvel "did it right".

Neo Rasa posted:

Marvel is good at having endless horde type enemies. Iron Man 1's bad guys for most of the movie are stupidly generic evil terrorists so it's okay for them to die horribly since Iron Man is funny and his suit is cool.

I don't think anyone even really has a problem with Batman or Superman killing people, but rather a problem with how it''s delivered. Like if Superman punched Zod so hard Zod died at the same moment they show the rest of the Kryptonians/engine stuff getting sucked into the phantom zone and then Superman cracked a one liner no one would have batted an eye about it and people would think it was the best superhero movie ever made except for Pa Kent advocating child murder.* That there was any consequence or actual game changing to how Superman feels or how the world is in the movie was too much for people.

The MCU films resolve themselves by killing/destroying the villains almost every time - Iron Man kills Stane/Iron Monger, Iron Man 2 blows up Ivan Vanko/Whiplash, Captain America implodes the Red Skull with the Tesseract, Guardians of the Galaxy vaporise Ronan, Ant-Man violently crushes Yellowjacket by sabotaging his shrinking equipment, etc etc.. They solve the supervillain problem by just making them go away because they're operating under standard comicbook/action movie rules where killing the irredeemable villain is framed as being good and right and justified. When Marvel superheroes complete their trials they look like this:

Just look at how loving smug they are. But because of the way the story was framed the audience feels like they totally earned it, and because the audience identified with these characters they also get a smugly Pavlovian reward when the movies conclude like this. Marvel films tell the audience "Superheroes are awesome and you're awesome for liking them!"

Man of Steel, on the other hand, chose not to operate under those rules. The protagonist here wasn't a charismatic plucky underdog who was using his unique skills to win the day, he was a guy who was uncertain about his place in the world and constantly questioning his actions, or whether he should act at all. The villain wasn't just a selfish guy hell bent on destroying his enemies, he was a nuanced "the end justifies the means" character who was trying to save his race. We didn't completely identify with the hero and we didn't completely hate the villain. Zod's death was more of a "suicide via Supercop", forced by his own volition onto a reluctant 'hero' rather than the triumphant victory over evil that Marvel films dish up, and that SUperman films also used to dish up. Superman II back in 1980 was operating under standard superhero/action movie rules so when he killed Zod that time he looked like this:

... but when the DCCU Superman kills Zod he looks like this:

MoS wasn't trying to be standard comicbook/action movie and it instead decided to question the cliched comicbook resolution by asking "What if you can't neatly make the problem go away? What if you don't get the triumphant happy ending? What if the good guy doesn't have all the answers just because he's the good guy?"

And those are some really good questions to ask in a movie, but on the other hand they're attacking some of the core assumptions that have been underlying the superhero genre for nearly 80 years now. The great majority of superhero comics/movies/Saturday Morning cartoons have operated under a Just World milieu where the hero deserved to win and the bad guy deserved to die and this was hardly ever questioned. (There's a whole lot of obvious exceptions to this but most of the general public probably wouldn't be familiar with them and they're vastly outnumbered by the cliched comicbook stories.) When Superman is forced to end Zod's reign of terror by snapping his neck and when Batman decides to kill dozens of mooks and these acts are shown as being morally ambiguous instead of being justified retribution then these stories are stepping outside the popular perception of the superhero genre. They're asking audiences to think about the genre rather than just leading them to the happy ending they usually get.

So yeah, Marvel did "do it right" in that they served up superhero movies that comfortably fit inside the superhero framework that has been fed to the general public over these last 70-odd years. DC decided to step outside that framework and ask whether those cliched superhero plots might have different consequences in the real world, and that's perfectly fine but there's going to be giant swathes of the general public disappointed that they didn't get the uplifting morally unambiguous costumed punchman film they were expecting, and there's also going to be a whole ton of diehard fans that will be upset that these films are daring to raise questions about the superhero genre instead of faithfully recreating it on the big screen. If people walked into Mos or BvS expecting a standard "Superheroes are awesome and you're awesome for liking them!" experience then they won't have been prepared for what they were going to get instead.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CelticPredator posted:

They captured Loki and took him in. He did not die.

They made him "go away". MoS raises the question "What if the bad guy refuses to just neatly go away?"

Edit: also Red Skull and a bunch of the other villains didn't actually die, they just ..... went away.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 28, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CelticPredator posted:

Killing them doesn't sit right with you, and fair enough...but what next?

Killing them sits perfectly well with me, for exactly the same reasons that I was fine with Hans Gruber dying in Die Hard and Belloq dying in Raiders of the Lost Ark and Drax dying in Moonraker.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 28, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

TFRazorsaw posted:

They made Lex Luthor go away too.

BvS actually starts out in morally ambiguous territory but in the last 20 minutes they suddenly veer back into Cliched Superhero World by killing Zod 2.0 but framing it as a clear triumph over an evildoer whose death is unambiguously a good thing. The original Zod wasn't a standard comicbook villain but Doomsday clearly was, and just in case anyone might have had any doubts they even removed all signs of personality and agency from him. Luthor got Loki'd and only temporarily made to "go away" because they're probably going to bring him back in the sequels, just like Loki was. You'll note that people aren't bringing up the "Not My Batman/Superman" complaint about the ending of the film but all the stuff from the first two acts.

CelticPredator posted:

Honestly, I'm still trying to figure out what I'm saying because I feel like BvS broke me, kinda? There's something about that whole movie that bothered me on a deep level and I'm trying to wrack my brain around it. Like, outside of the editing, the film makes me feel just awful.

Same here. The fact that the film made both of us feel awful is pretty much my core complaint. Like, it's perfectly fine that they wanted to make a superhero film that challenged the genre instead of just falling into step with all the other films but on the other hand why would anyone want to make a Superman/Batman film that left the audience feeling awful?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

net cafe scandal posted:

Left badly wounded
Brock Rumlow (burnt and disfigured)
Nebula (loses arm to escape Gamora)
Ulysses Klaw (loses arm at the hands of Stark's brainchild)

Note that Rumlow was spared because he was being set up to become Crossbones in Civil War and I assume that Klaw will be a villain in Black Panther so there's a good chance they'll get killed in those films.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I should note that I really really enjoyed Super and Defendor, two indie superhero films that also dragged the genre over the coals and questioned some of their core assumptions. But they were also satires and had a ton of dark comedy through them.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

TFRazorsaw posted:

But again, Superman has forgotten Zod. In fact, he's forgotten him by MOS's own epilogue.

A weird thing that BvS does is re-establish the "Superman just blunders into situations and doesn't care about or even acknowledge all the collateral damage" complaint that people had about the destruction of Metropolis scene and turns that into a plot point around the massacre in the African village, but then flips that by revealing the African massacre was masterminded by Lex and wasn't Superman's fault in the slightest and people are dopes for doubting Superman's actions (which I'm interpreting as a really unsubtle dig at the people complaining about Mos) but then at the climax of BvS they have another Kryptonian-versus-Kryptonian battle where a whole bunch of buildings are 9/11'ed but this time they make it clear that civilians weren't in danger. C'mon guys, can we stick with just the one history revision instead of piling them up like this?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Dave posted:

Not being a comics guy, how powerful is WW supposed to be?

She's approximately as powerful as Superman. In the comics she can fly as well.

Edit: she can keep up with the Flash at "cruising speed" (but not his best speeds) and Batman said she's the best melee fighter in the world. She's not quite as durable as Superman but her superhuman healing factor and her resistance to magical attacks apparently makes up the difference.
http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Wonder_Woman_%28Diana_Prince%29

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Mar 28, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I guess a gunshot could kill her otherwise why the bracelets

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

All the other Amazons are just as strong as her right? I wouldn't call her a literal Goddess mainly because the actual Greek gods are out there doin' poo poo allegedly. I always imagined her as like female Hercules. Or super-strong Xena.

The current comicbook version of WW is a demi-goddess and the daughter of Zeus.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Guy A. Person posted:

A guy on my Facebook said "why do they keep letting Zack Snyder make movies??"

Like, no they're not "letting" him they are paying him well to do it because he makes them money.

If anyone else ever asks that question again you tell them there's 2.065 billion reasons why they keep "letting" Zack Snyder direct films. Soon to be 2.5 billion reasons. :v:
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?id=zacksnyder.htm

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 28, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Boob Marley posted:

I don't know about all that, but audiences definitely stuck with it longer than BvS during it's opening weekend.
Didn't make this chart but wish I had. Creamin' here...

Don't forget that the weekend drop for BvS was massively inflated because they rolled all of Thursday's $27.7m previews into Friday. It actually only got $54.31 on Friday so the Fri-Sun drop was actually only 31.56% which would drop it to the 14th spot on that chart, putting it within 2.3% of the Avenger's Fri-Sun drop.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Barry Convex posted:

Uh, I'm pretty sure including Thursday night previews as part of Friday's total is common practice, not something invented for BvS.

Yeah the rest of the chart is probably wrong as well. :v:

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

How did other blockbusters with openings on family holidays fare on previous years?

Furious Seven opened on the Easter weekend last year and only had a $147m domestic/$397.7m worldwide opening, compared to BvS's $170m/$424.1m opening. F7 went on to gross $1.5 billion worldwide.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 28, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Barry Convex posted:

...no, the chart isn't wrong per se. You're just wrong to think that it's anything but common practice to include Thursday night previews in Friday grosses. Neither of the Avengers films, or IM3, or TDKR, or now BvS, made anywhere near as much in a single day as that chart would have it.

Avengers didn't have Thursday previews as far as I can tell, it opened midnight Friday.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Barry Convex posted:

And it made 18.7 million in those midnight previews, which is included in the Friday gross. Point is, there's no "inflation" uniquely unfavorable to BvS going on here at all. With Thursday night deducted, no film has even come close to an $80 million Friday opening l, to my knowledge.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...gle+Feedfetcher

They rolled back 'midnight' screenings to 9pm and then 7pm in 2013, the year after The Avengers which greatly improved the audience numbers for those previews. Before then the Fri-Sun weekends didn't include Thursdays at all, since then they've pretty much added an extra day's worth of box office receipts to their opening totals.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Vintersorg posted:

Thor 2 is terrible - it's TV movie bad. Hell, Thor 1 wasn't even that good - I think I only really enjoyed the poo poo with him learning about Earth. But aside from that everything else was forgettable. Hiddleston camps it the gently caress up and is probably the only good take away from it all.

I'm still not sold on Hemsworth in the role, or in the character at all since I was never really a fan of the comic version of the character and the Thor standalone films totally failed to get me invested in the character. His character arc was pretty much "Start out as a mild jerk, learn to accept responsibility and thus becomes less of a jerk" which doesn't really cut it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The MSJ posted:

Spawn has been going on so long Angela decided to cross dimensions and become a Marvel character.

The most entertaining part about the Spawn comics will always be the legal battle between McFarlane and Neil Gaiman and the wacky outcome. :v:

(Short short version if anyone isn't familiar with the story: McFarlane reprinted issues he'd co-created with Gaiman but didn't pay Gaiman any royalties. Gaiman sued and part of the out-of-court settlement was that Gaiman gained full control of Angela, a character he'd created for those issues. Gaiman then went and sold the character to Marvel for $1 as a final 'gently caress you' to McFarlane.)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Guy A. Person posted:

a huge crock of poo poo.

You rang?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Codependent Poster posted:

It will probably not beat out The Dark Knight or The Dark Knight Rises.

Sir Kodiak posted:

It opened bigger than either both domestically and worldwide, but I guess we'll see.

BvS's first Sun-Wed domestic box office numbers were significantly lower than The Dark Knight or The Dark Knight Rises. In fact its first Sunday, Monday and Wednesday numbers were worse than Deadpool's and it only did slightly better than 'Pool on Tuesday. Of course it's WAY too early to draw conclusions on that, we'll have to wait until the numbers for the second weekend at least are in before we can start predicting trends.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

HorseRenoir posted:

Why can't a film about World War I be fun?

Look at this grimdark fucker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyPjg4HHye0

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also it makes it a lot easier to vomit blood on some other guy

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Electromax posted:

It's about as dumb as a bunch of school bus drivers not caring when

School bus drivers don't care about things. It's one of those hellish jobs that robs you of the ability to experience human emotions like 'caring' or 'joy'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dncx6O5J4U

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Yoshifan823 posted:

Nah, it was a guy a few days ago who knew this was coming. He also hinted that we'd get the Director's Cut of BvS in theaters, and that we're getting a Tomb Raider movie next year.

It was this post:

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Umberto Gonzales recently dropped some very interesting rumours about the future of the DC Cinematic Universe

quote:

>WB is considering releasing the R-rated 3 hour cut of BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE in theaters.

>Batman is a much more prominent character in SUICIDE SQUAD than it appears. Test-screenings have recently happened.

>SUICIDE SQUAD will launch a new trailer that'll be screened with copies of CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR. It might have an early released this Sunday after the MTV awards, and it's cut to "Ballroom Blitz".

>The secret WB/DC movie that is being released on November 1, 2019 is the standalone BATMAN movie starring Ben Affleck.

Keep in mind the guy has an excellent track record about DC.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Freakazoid_ posted:

I kinda like it, but I agree we need less inception and more :catdrugs:

The teaser didn't seem to have any footage of the Dark Dimension scenes (probably because those effects haven't been done yet) but that should be some weirdass poo poo. I'm hoping they crank the Kirby-ness up to 11.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mordiceius posted:

There's a pumpkin right in the logo. I can't see any way that doesn't mean Hobgoblin.

I think that's just a Spidey face and not a pumpkin bomb

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

halokiller posted:

Well it won't be hard to top the Dr. Strange animated movie which was garbage and boring.

But will it top the 1978 TV movie?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAFElwol5P4

Yes. Yes it will.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rurea posted:

Emilio Estevez as Captain America

Younger Emilio totally could have pulled it off. :colbert:

.... if he wasn't 5'7" ......

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

https://twitter.com/robertdowneyjr/status/459014521655271424

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jerkface posted:

yea the problem with this is that only the one side ever gets subverted, so you never end up with the white characters being played by people of color

Edit: Samuel L Jackson only half counts because his character was changed to African American in the comics but he'd been white for nearly 40 years before that

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 13, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

halokiller posted:

Oh boy the Iron Fist movie will be fun because people will bitch that the cast has to be either asian or not asian.

People were already bitching that the main white character wasn't changed to an asian character weeks ago when the lead actor's name was leaked

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jerkface posted:

I know that some characters have been cast as a PoC

Well then you shouldn't have led your initial argument with "you never end up with the white characters being played by people of color"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

isn't that who Chiwetel Ejiofor's playing in this? or is he someone else?

He's playing the traditionally white character Baron Mordo

• Locked thread