Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is Captain Marvel REALLY not coming out until 2019?

I swear if they fast track it after Wonder Woman brings in a billion dollars...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Baron Porkface posted:

I thought it was never his name; Shazam is the wizard.

The hilarious thing is, if you read into it- the Wizard IS Captain Marvel. The Wizard was designed to look like an aged Captain Marvel, and I think the original intent was that it was a passing of the torch kind of thing. When one Captain Marvel gets too old, he becomes a Wizard and bestows his powers onto the next Captain Marvel.

Meaning that, if you want to be pedantic, Captain Marvel's name has always been Shazam.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's loving Sony what do you expect.

I'm standing my ground on this one- if the Sony-Marvel Spider-Man movies aren't garbage, we are going to be extremely lucky.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So are they just not allowed to talk about Civil War in actual movie terms?

Like, do they have to only compare it to other things?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

teagone posted:

So we could potentially have Affleck, Irons, Leto, and Simmons in a solo Batman movie with a script written by Terrio. That's a nice cast :allears: Add Margot Robbie and Will Smith, and cast Matt Damon as Hush. Or Jake Gyllenhaal as Todd/Red Hood.

Might be the second best Batman movie ever made.

First best is going to be The Killing Joke.

I hope.

Please don't gently caress up the Killing Joke DC. Please. For the love of God please.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also Joker being Robin is a dumb idea.

Never mind the fact that Leto is the same age as Affleck, the Joker should skew closer to no history than anything. Because he is the Anti Batman. He is the antithesis of Batman. Batman we know his origin. We know every drat detail. They'd ADD stuff to it just to give it EVEN MORE PATHOS, like his dad telling him rock and roll was evil BEFORE THAT ZORRO MOVIE.

Joker does not have a concrete backstory. The best one he ever got was in the Killing Joke, which was contradicted within its own story because, as the Joker himself admits, he remembers it different ways at different times.

Mind a large part of that is because the Killing Joke was about the two of them, if only briefly, transcended their nature as comic book characters and became lucid of what they were. Icons, entities that would exist forever, always changing and always the same. The idea of Batman saving the Joker or making a meaningful change was just a joke, one they both were in on by the end.

Because for better or worse, they will never escape. They can never be fixed. One day some gently caress up is going to have the Joker carve off his own face and Batman is going to die and go into the past and become a God and then they'll be right back to playing cops and robbers.

What I'm trying to say is FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST KILLING JOKE ANIMATED MOVIE, DO NOT gently caress UP

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MinibarMatchman posted:

joker being more of a legit american hero than the billionaire who beats his face in would be wonderful.

So did you miss the reference or

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MinibarMatchman posted:

Alan Alda is too busy being a racist bar owner in a new Louis CK vehicle to play a clown

Just making sure.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
As underwhelming as Arkham Origins was, just not AS good as the others, I think they did the Joker's first meeting with Batman perfectly.

Before he really understood what and who Batman was, the Joker isn't as focused and is chaotic and destructive, tearing down the old establishments and causing as much chaos as possible. The moment he Gets Batman, realizes that Batman is just as insane as he is, just on the other side of the coin, and will never let the Joker die

That's when everything falls in place for him. The Arkham games had some annoying problems, but goddamn if it didn't tell a good Batman Joker story.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Kodiak posted:

This seems wildly inconsistent with the actual experience of celebrities going out in public.

Do random celebs get hassled when they're some where they aren't known to be?

Like obviously they're going to be noticed if they're hanging around where they actually live. But you go far enough away without anyone knowing that, or if no one is EXPECTING you to be around, you can get around pretty easily.

I also think secret identities is a thing that Marvel in general never worried too much about because the majority of their heroes aren't ones that NEED them. Steve Rogers is Captain America there is no distinction.

Superman is not Clark Kent. Clark Kent is not Superman.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I will always be a proponent of going full Silver Age. Silver Age Superman is great.

Sure he can't lose a fight but none of his stories were concerned with actually fighting so who gives a poo poo? Just delve into the insanity full stop.

I want him to Super Ventriloquist Bruce into admitting he's Batman while marrying Lois to a cobra which inexplicably stops the sun from exploding.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Every time I think of the new Spider-Man movie I just get really sad.

It's going to be awful and there's no way around that.

The most I can hope for is that it is the most middle of the road Marvel movie ever, but I dread even those chances because Sony looms over it like a lovely mountain.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's hilarious that the Avengers are involved in all this destruction and death and are threatened with constant military supervision or underwater Gitmo and Superman is involved in a whooole lot more destruction and death and he only has to attend a senate hearing. Although I really loving hate having to go to meetings too so I guess when you take that into account it's not all that much better.

The difference is that most of the Avengers you could kill with a gun and good timing.

Superman is the one who killed the dude who tore through your military and made a part of your city into a pancake.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The interesting thing is that they give away Tony is the one in the wrong during the trailer. Like they're trying to make it ambiguous but it's pretty obvious.

By the end, at that moment where he's fist fighting Tony and is all torn up and broken down, he repeats his line from the first movie before he ever even got powers. What he told the bullies. He could do this all day.

Stark is a bully in the eyes of Rogers and is treated as such by the narrative.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Boob Marley posted:

Yes, that would just be so bold. Having a black and/or female lead is ipso facto artistic and creative.

Wow really?

Okay that's the tone to take here.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

That's actually an interesting element. Suicide Squad is a more diverse film but it's also a film about criminals and villains. This kinda plays directly into the Hollywood cliche. That doesn't mean DC is wrong or bad for doing or or anything, just that it's not exactly breaking the mold either. I think when people say a female-lead film or a black-lead film they mean one about a heroic character rather than, at best, a somewhat heroic criminal.

This is a really stupid point to draw hairs over.

When you get down to it, ALL super heroes are criminals. What makes them heroes is that they're saving the world, which the Suicide Squad are doing.

Also DC is the only company that has a history of TRYING to make female super hero movies, even if they've never turned out...good.

Marvel never has.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Equeen posted:

Electra?

Yeah, as said above- and it's still ridiculous that out of all of the studios that have had Marvel properties, Elektra is the only attempt.

DC has tried in the past. They've been trying. And we're going to get Wonder Woman years before any female led Marvel film.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

That's a bit disingenuous. Going "they tried in the past" and ignoring that Marvel has also headlined stuff like Jessica Jones or Agent Carter is a bit weird. (Likewise DC has Supergirl, although that's not the 'shared universe' bullshit but I don't give a drat.)

I was ignoring that because they're not MOVIES. You want to talk about TV shows we're talk about TV shows. You want to talk about media far and wide we'll talk about that too.

TV shows DC stomps Marvel's face in, both with their recent shows and their Wonder Woman series from the 70s. And Birds of Prey I guess.

Wonder Woman also got her own solo animated movie, which Marvel has not done with their female heroes.

Super Girl is also connected to the Flash universe thanks to Flash being able to cross through realities- including crossing into the movies if they ever want to pull the trigger on that plot point. So in theory yes, Supergirl is part of the DC connected universe bullshit.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Phylodox posted:

Just gonna have to very strongly, yet politely disagree with this.

You realize I'm not speaking about QUALITY yes?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Literally The Worst posted:

those shows stomped face generally because they were better

now, i don't know what it is because those shows are poo poo

but goin well you see dc's television made more money when they were producting BtAS but it's not about quaaaaaaaality makes me lmao at you

What are you talking about?

And I'm talking about TV series lead by women made by DC.

iZombie, SuperGirl, Birds of Prey and Wonder Woman are the ones that immediately spring to mind.

That's more than Marvel has done. Literally.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

we believe in equality dc protests despite their target audience being white dudes in their 40s

That would be the comics which are unarguably the worst part of the whole thing.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This is just

Really this is the best you can do

We'll gladly knife fight each other over stupid poo poo all the time you don't have to try to troll us. It's okay man.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

OldTennisCourt posted:

So Luke Cage just had it's release date dropped (September 30th), I'm totally ignorant of the character so I'm curious: Who would be his biggest villain that the show would use?

Luke Cage has villains?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rhymenoserous posted:

Both universes have the potential for being good for different reason.

Marvel is more likely to be successful overall because they realize that comic books can be fun, and they don't shy from making things super comic booky.

Ahahaha if you think DC is less comic booky than Marvel

For the love of Christ look at Batman. He's wearing an updated Adam West Batman outfit.

We get to see this again.

His armor is totally impractical and ripped RIGHT out of a comic. No moving parts or cgi bits. Just big ole fat as gently caress bulk armor. How is this not comic book?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

What do you mean comic book-y is a synonym for fun and silly that people usually use to refer to the antics of silver age stories, I only have heard it use to literally mean in a comic

Also lmao BvS batman is not wearing an updated Adam west suit

Except comic books CAN be serious affairs. They don't have to be silly. They can aspire to be more than just that.

I'm not saying the DC films are more comic booky either because that's stupid. They're both based on comic book super heroes and feature guys with ADJECTIVE MAN names running around punching people.

Also do you have some kind of brain problem where I have to explicitly explain every single thing I say, otherwise you get confused? Or are you just an idiot so I can make fun of you?

Because yes, the suit Batman is wearing in the DCU is, in fact, an Adam West style one. As in, it's a skin tight body suit with a cape and cowl. The only difference is how it looks and the materials used to make it. No other movie Batman EXCEPT Adam West has worn one like this.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

That doesn't make it Adam West style you dumbshit

Also the problem is that DC seems to be labor inf under the delusion that comic books and their movies have to be serious and not lighthearted fun ever, as evidence I point you at the last fifteen years of DC, particularly the last five years of comics

Don't front with the guy who does comics 24/7 son you only make yourself look bad

How doesn't it make it Adam West style? That's the classic Batman suit.

The rest of that is just driveling nonsense because Marvel hasn't been any better in the comics front either. Both lines have a majority of lovely books with one or two stand outs if you're lucky.

And I don't give a poo poo how much time you waste on comics.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fine tag that isn't explicitly targeted at children onto the end of that

This is a recurring theme with DC ever since DKR

Which they're sucking off, again, with BvS, coincidentally

Oh right you're the dipshit who thinks they're ripping off the DKR with BvS despite everything looking like they're turning DKR on its head and using it to create a wholly new story.

Man that ball numbing argument was a WHILE ago I forgot.

See Mr Boods replacement troll, we can get by just fine knifefucking each other without really half assed trolling attempts!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Burkion do you understand that "Adam west style" refers to the specific visual look of that specfic costume and not just "skintight costume" in general

Because it does

THINGS THEY HAVE IN COMMON

Skin tight gray body suit.

Black Bat Symbol On Chest

Yellow Belt

Black Cape Cowl, Boots and Gloves

Short Ears

THINGS THEY DO NOT HAVE IN COMMON

No Yellow On Chest BVS Suit

No Drawn Eyebrows BVS Suit

No Black Under Pants BVS Suit

So you know, I feel pretty drat safe in saying that that is, in fact, a Batman suit in the style of the Adam West suit for comparisons of Movie Batman Suits.

So why are they not directly comparable in such an easy manner?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

You're fuckin stupid if you don't look at a movie about batman wearing the armor from DKR and fighting Superman with shots from the trailer that were lifted directly from that scene in DKR and see them going "you know what was awesome? The fight in DKR"

Or does it not count if they aren't literally adapting the comic

That wasn't the argument and you know it.

They're taking stuff from DKR but flipping them. DKR is predicated on the idea that Batman is the Good Guy.

BVS is not.

This changes the context and the meaning.

But you are some one so pedantic that you can't acknowledge a simple short hand for saying that they went with a more comic book style Batman suit, and instead just resort to insults and running around in circles so you know whatever.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

You feel safe saying that because you're loving blind or autistic

STYLE

a distinctive appearance, typically determined by the principles according to which something is designed.

I'm sorry if me not saying they're not Literally The Same, Literally The Worst, is confusing you and your brain, but yes, they are in the same style.

They are the only two Movie Batman Costumes to look like this. Due to their simularities, you can see they draw from a similar source.

One is made of more modern, textured materials while intending to be more serious, while the other is more flat and comical, but on a design aesthetic they share quite a lot, and more than any other Batman suit seen in any movie outside of these two.

Now if you could please tell me why I am wrong instead of just mindlessly insulting me, I would appreciate it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Vintersorg posted:

:lol: at the idea that Batfleck is Adam West inspired - holy poo poo.

That's either grade A trolling or a person who can't see for poo poo without thick eye glasses.

The only thing from Adam West - Batman. :lol:

That's not the argument.

You have poor reading skills. I said the Bat suit in BVS was Like The Adam West one, which Literally The Worst took offense to for some reason. So I clarified that it was the same style of Batsuit and explained why I see it that way.

Obviously the ultimate reason why they are in the same kind of style is because they are both adaptations of Silver Age Batman and his look. DKR is more serious due to the story it is, and Adam West is even goofier than Silver Age Bats was due to the story IT was.

But they both share common ground in that fashion, hence why they resemble each other.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I mean other than the fact that it actually looks identical to the DKR suit and it's only similarities with the west suit are things it shares with every batman costume? Nothing at all Burkion.

Vintersorg posted:

Like if youre not familiar with the comic thats cool - but now you know. So maybe put the brakes on your little temper tantrum.

BvS is insanely inspired by it - Batman wants to kick Supermans rear end for becoming a government stooge.

In the movie it's just because he hosed Metropolis but as we see at the end of MoS - Superman gives his participation to the army - just dont track him.

Do neither of you actually read what I said?

I never said it was based on Adam West's suit. That's stupid.

I said it LOOKS like Adam West's suit, which is something I NEVER thought we'd get out of Batman in movie form again short of an actual comedy.

We no longer have Body Armor Batman that we've had since 89 in movie form and that's fantastic.

It's straight up a Comic Book Batman suit. Like Adam West.

I'm sorry if comparing the two because they're the only ones that are vaguely similar in the entire movie Batman line confuses you, I'll be sure to over explain everything I say from now on so that won't happen again.

Like this right here- BVS Suit does not look like ANY other MOVIE Batman suit except for Adam West.

The Serials don't count because those aren't movies. If they were movies, they'd be valid for comparison as well.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

It doesn't look like the Adam West suit at all you dummy

I think it does.

How does it not? Beyond what I already pointed out? It's the same style of suit which is unique for the two of them in the movie form.

Vintersorg posted:

Ok crazy man, haha.

E: I see what you mean but it's stupid.

This entire conversation has been stupid so par the course.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

It resembles a Batman suit and most of the things you linked as being similar are only similar in that many Batman designs share them. It is an explicit direct reference to the DKR costume and any similarities it has to Adam West are only in that both are Batman costumes. It doesn't actually look anything like Adam's West suit except in that it is a Batman suit.

Jesus Christ this again

Let me spell it out

In Reference To Movie Suits

As In The Suits The Movies Have Used

It Resembles The Adam West Batman Suit More Than Any Other Batman Suit

Because They Are Both Directly Based On Comic Book Suits

I Am Referring To This Strictly On Movie Looks Not On General Batman Looks

Otherwise The Movie Comments Would Be Unneeded And Unnecessary As They Are The Minority

We done with this now?

We done missing my point?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Vintersorg posted:

Comic books don't exist in the comic book movie thread.

Just movies.

When talking about Comic Booky Movies

Gee I wonder why I'd only be referring to movies.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Vintersorg posted:

Because entire conversations always go back to the comic books. Most recently stuff from Civil War.

You're strawmanning the gently caress outta this.

No I am not.

The ORIGINAL discussion that started this nonsense was that the DC movies were not comic booky.

So I pointed out that the Bat Suit was comic booky as gently caress, and that the only other Movie Batman Suit that looked like it was the Adam West Suit.

That's where all of this nonsense started.

From there I got a bunch of people who didn't understand what I said and Literally The Worst who doesn't think they look the same at all for some reason.

Now can this end? Or is there going to be more bullshit to go on the bullshit pile?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

greatn posted:

He's just saying Batman 66 and BvS are the only movie batsuits that actually look like the comics, and he's %100 right. (excluding animated/serial)

And they both look amazing.

Thank you.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So do the Guyver movies count for comic movies?

Because they're technically based on Japanese comics!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Guyver 2 Dark Hero has possibly the best "Super powered dude VS Armed Thugs" fight ever. Mostly because he just fucks around with them the entire time despite being able to tear them apart limb from limb with ease. He specifically tries to get trick shots so they kill eachother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

That scene where Crain flips over and runs on his hands should be illegal.

Guyver 2 Dark Hero is the most B movie to ever B movie and I love it so much. It takes all of the problems of tone and consistency the first movie had and flushes them down the toilet.

The acting is garbage in a fantastic way, the effects are amazing and gorey, the deaths are over the top from start to finish and the creature effects are spot on. We get THREE unique Guyver designs, and the entire thing goes off with only a bit of a slow....

Not a middle. Like, one third of the middle is slow. Then monsters and Guyvers start fighting and it just never stops.

• Locked thread