Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Hot take: art is subjective and by extension so is everything involved in filmmaking, you cant argue what's "good" or "bad" unless you establish a baseline to work off of. DCEU fans and new thread visitors are operating off different observations of the same film, so the slapfight is pointless.

IMO working off what the general audience took away from a film is a good floor to discuss moopies, but obviously there's reasons why one might disagree with that.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I got it you guys! Instead of using "incoherent" you can use "confusing", as in "I don't understand why they put this image here" or "I don't understand why this scene follows this scene, it's confusing" instead of "the movie was incoherent" and the rest of us who followed it just fine wonder exactly wtf you're talking about.

Alternative take: the film is incoherent for them, and not incoherent for you, because you're both acting on different perspectives of the same film.

If the movie fails to display coherent storytelling to a certain group of audience, then the movie fails to display coherent storytelling to that specific group of people

No clue why people feel a desire to get two steps away from "It takes a high IQ to watch BvS"

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

I'll ignore the bad faith in that last line and point out this is a plea on behalf of pure subjectivism--apparently coherence is like cold or beauty in that it ultimately rests on one's blahblahblah. Pushing the discussion back to "is discussion even possible?"

Well, yeah. That was kind of the point of my post at the top of the page. Unless you establish a baseline to talk about all you're going to get is "this film was badly edited" "no it wasnt" "its badly edited, look at this video" "actually it's not badly edited, look at this video". It's less of an argument and more two groups of people discussing separate topics, but maliciously towards each other. Somehow.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Monopolies are bad, but anything that gets Rupert Murdoch further and further from any significance is good. Hard call.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Wow. Mods? Spoilers??

• Locked thread