Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

TetsuoTW posted:

Shazam had grown so rich, he wanted to retire. He took me to his cave and he told me his secret. 'I am not Captain Marvel' he said. 'My name is Billy; I inherited the power from the previous Captain Marvel, just as you will inherit it from me. The man I inherited it from is not the real Captain Marvel either. His name was Fawcett. The real Captain Marvel has been retired 15 years and living like a king in Patagonia.'

This is a good post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Spiderman is a monster and he must be stopped at all costs.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Wait a goddamn minute we're getting another Spider-Man trilogy?

Why this.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Spider-Man is already a four billion dollar franchise. Hollywood is going to continue shoving Spider-Man trilogies into your face holes forever and ever.

[insert anime gif here]

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

I actually really hate the "Supes did 9/11" sentiment as well as the Thunderbolt Ross scene at the beginning of this new trailer implying that super people are responsible for disasters they get involved with. It strikes me as going up to a firefighter and saying "gee you seem to be at the scene of a lot of burning buildings".

The superheros should be like "okay yeah we won't stop the next alien invasion then :jerkbag:" and walk out of the room.

I'd be okay with it if Infinity War started this way, with the American military totally helpless in the face of Thanos, asking the Avengers for help and getting "lol no way" and then having to work their way down a list trying to get supers to help them.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Burkion posted:

The interesting thing is that they give away Tony is the one in the wrong during the trailer. Like they're trying to make it ambiguous but it's pretty obvious.

By the end, at that moment where he's fist fighting Tony and is all torn up and broken down, he repeats his line from the first movie before he ever even got powers. What he told the bullies. He could do this all day.

Stark is a bully in the eyes of Rogers and is treated as such by the narrative.

Steve Rogers is always right because he's always on the side of freedom. Tony Stark is the frightened reactionary trying to get control of an uncontrollable situation.

I'm sure Tony will have good points but will bungle his execution, as per usual for his character and Marvel's flailing attempts to make shades of moral gray.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Looks like Stilt Man.

The Daredevil tie in we've all been waiting for.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

I noticed his tie was red in one scene - The Republican color. Can't have been a coincidence.

His armor has also been red for decades? It's kind of his color now. :lol:

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I don't understand what's been going on at DC since nu52. Are Bruce Timm and Paul Dini the only ones who can write for these characters?

I liked MoS but I can easily see why other people don't, and the only adaptation of DC that everyone seemed to enjoy were the DCAU cartoons.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Tezzor posted:

It's not that complicated to understand why people think you're lying. It's first, obviously, because the movies CD feels the most compelled to defend - the prequels, Transformers, Man of Steel, etc - are, among the fanbase outside of this forum, generally considered among to be failed, embarrassing, bottom-tier trash for idiots. Of course, this isn't the whole story. There's also standard goon contrarianism; annoying when pro-Trump, baffling when pro-prequel. But really the main issue is how they defend these films that leads many to assume they're simply lying, either to themselves or others. If someone defends an Adam Sandler film by saying "I know Adam Sandler films are dumb but I like fart jokes even if I know they're not exactly high art" that's a comprehensible defense. When someone says "I like Adam Sandler movies because the man is a secret genius exploring the Jungian archetype of The Fool" then it's hard to not assume that the person is pulling your leg, and this is the standard type of the explanations for why these movies are actually good; not "I just like bright colors and explosions" but bloviating about vague and not-particularly-insightful notions of "artistry," overwrought and poorly-substantiated fan-theories and headcanons about secret depth and moral complexity, and, last, appeals to the sheer length of arguments rather than their points or value. I've read people refer positively to the 128-page rebuttal of The Phantom Menace review and the 30,000-word "Why The Transformers Films Are Good" character-vomit just because they are very long, as though their length meant anything in particular. I could, with no difficulty, dig up ten 300-page books that purport to rebut whatever your political and/or religious beliefs are. So it is not hard to see why people, when looking at both the quality of the subject of the defense and the quality of the defense itself, tend to find it easier to believe that people are deliberately lying or playing some kind of game, rather than these are really their sincere opinions. It is certainly easier and more comforting to believe than the alternative.

There's also the common mistake people make that length of text = quality arguments.

This of course is folly but there you are.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Sir Kodiak posted:

Huh, I had assumed HIJK was making a joke about Tezzor's wall of text.

I'm not that clever. I agree with ImpAtom.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

The MSJ posted:

X-Men Apocalypse just dropped a new trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfBVIHgQbYk

I like that they're keeping it within a certain time period, that shot of the missiles is chilling.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Jose Oquendo posted:

Is this the last one for her contract? Just sayin. The timeline has been changed so she doesn't necessarily have to survive this movie.

I'm 90% sure this is her last one. Fingers crossed for a recast if they bring back Mystique.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
AOU was enjoyable and I'd watch the party scenes again for the character interaction but the rest of it...mehhhhhhhhhhhhh

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Rough Lobster posted:

EXCELSioorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Staaaaaaaaan!

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Just got back from Dawn of Justice and I loved every single minute of it. I can see where all the complaints are coming from but I don't care because that movie pushed every single one of my narrative buttons. Whoever called it operatic and baroque was 100% on point and the movie was fantastic for it. Snyder raided every aspect of art history he could find and what a fantastic result. Marvel has everything bubblegum colored and everyone quips all over the place while thousands of people die in New York City via alien invasion. Dawn of Justice actually treats that subject with seriousness and gravity which I really respect and holy poo poo that color scheme is amazing, everything is gold and green and black. Wonder Woman was loving A+. Batfleck was a little over the top but who cares about the missteps when everything else he did was so on point? Eisenburg was great. More Eisenburg please. I even liked Cavill even though he was so serious, he and Amy Adams really loving sold Lois and Clark for me as a love story. Loved them too.

Dawn of Justice was loving great and I'm very excited about DC's new cinematic universe, I thought they handled the introduction very well. This is going to rock.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Doflamingo posted:

Do you think most people enjoyed Man of Steel, as well?

Yes.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
MoS seems to be more that, Clark only seems like a god from our limited perspective. He still lives on a farm and has a mother that he loves very much. He still makes dumb mistakes. He falls in love. He isn't infallible and it's our mistake to think he is. BvS carries on this theme.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Just watched the animated Batman Superman movie, World's Finest for the billionth time. It's amazing that they managed to put so much awesome content into something with only one hour of runtime. Kinda puts BvS in a different perspective. If they would have just done BvS scene for scene from this animated movie I would have been totally fine with it.

That movie had the benefit of BTAS and STAS though. BvS was basically Justice League: We're Currently in Beta which meant they had to build up their mythology as much as they could in a limited run time.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Iron Man murdered terrorists who were keeping him hostage to make weapons to kill more people. Probably would've chopped his head off too.

I'm very okay with self defense movie murder. Not okay with flaming throwing people's moms

I mean no one's supposed to be okay with someone trying to flamethrower Clark's mom? That's what it's bad? And that's why that guy was a bad person, because he wanted to flamethrower Martha?

People seem really shocked that DC comic book movies have bad people doing bad things, and that heroes get really pissed at bad things happening. "The power of love" is Jesus' super power, not Superman's.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

considering the movie spends a lot of time in effort to equate Superman with Jesus...

So? Superman has solved problems by punching them since his inception. I mean if we want to go full Captain Planet and have his power be The Power of Heart than that's cool, but that isn't what Supes has been about in the past.

He's been about personal sacrifice for the greater good of mankind for a while now but that doesn't mean that comic book fans wouldn't get enraged at Supes trying to hug it out with people.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

I actually want that, though? I mean, that'd be pretty great.

From Batman too. More stuff like that moment in BTAS where he gets Harley some gifts and less of him being Dick Cheney in a flying mouse costume.

Me too actually. I kind of like that the DCAU went there with Supes, like he tries to reach out to Lex when they find out he has cancer and Supes immediately tries to help him. :kimchi:

But that doesn't make this dramatic stuff any less enjoyable to me. It's just a different kind of Trinity. If I want lighthearted jokes while they blow up skyscrapers I can go rewatch JLU for that. For a dark and sober take I enjoyed the hell out of BvS.

These things can coexist and there's nothing offensive about dark and sober.

Phylodox posted:

Wait, someone flamethrowers Ma Kent?!? What the ever loving hell?!? I'm starting to feel like I should see this movie just to witness firsthand how insane it is.

Like...is this Zach Snyder's complete emotional breakdown in film form or something?

"Emotional breakdown" :lol:

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

Also, it occurs to me that if DC doesn't want to be compared to the Marvel universe, they shouldn't bloody well invite it. I mean, the set up for Darkseid is the exact same as as the set up for Thanos short of him actually showing up, Wonder Woman is as essential to this story as Black Widow was to Iron Man 2, and there's more call forwards per capita in this movie than the majority of stuff from Phase 1. I mean, using DC's actual counterpart to Thanos (to the point the latter is often called a stand-in for the former in regards to the actual media) is transparent enough.

They obviously want to copy their success with a similar formula, so people shouldn't cry foul when people point out how said efforts do or don't work.

Thanos wants the Infinity Gauntlet from almost Day 1, we don't know what Darkseid's deal is yet. Just that he's been summoned.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

knowing what I know about Darkseid, replace the infinity gems with "anti-life" and they'll be good to go. Either way it will lead to a Heroic Battle For Earth between him and all the heroes, just with more Jesus metaphors.

And it'll be great! :science:

dingdingdingdingding

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Darko posted:

There's a legitimately large chance of Disney/Marvel taking over how superhero movies, and to a lesser extent, summer blockbusters are created for a while. If alternatives don't succeed, there is a chance for a bit of a genre monopoly as people try to ape them or fail, which no movie fan should want.

But Superman killed Zod and that's terrible!

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

The MCU films resolve themselves by killing/destroying the villains almost every time - Iron Man kills Stane/Iron Monger, Iron Man 2 blows up Ivan Vanko/Whiplash, Captain America implodes the Red Skull with the Tesseract, Guardians of the Galaxy vaporise Ronan, Ant-Man violently crushes Yellowjacket by sabotaging his shrinking equipment, etc etc.. They solve the supervillain problem by just making them go away because they're operating under standard comicbook/action movie rules where killing the irredeemable villain is framed as being good and right and justified. When Marvel superheroes complete their trials they look like this:

Just look at how loving smug they are. But because of the way the story was framed the audience feels like they totally earned it, and because the audience identified with these characters they also get a smugly Pavlovian reward when the movies conclude like this. Marvel films tell the audience "Superheroes are awesome and you're awesome for liking them!"

Man of Steel, on the other hand, chose not to operate under those rules. The protagonist here wasn't a charismatic plucky underdog who was using his unique skills to win the day, he was a guy who was uncertain about his place in the world and constantly questioning his actions, or whether he should act at all. The villain wasn't just a selfish guy hell bent on destroying his enemies, he was a nuanced "the end justifies the means" character who was trying to save his race. We didn't completely identify with the hero and we didn't completely hate the villain. Zod's death was more of a "suicide via Supercop", forced by his own volition onto a reluctant 'hero' rather than the triumphant victory over evil that Marvel films dish up, and that SUperman films also used to dish up. Superman II back in 1980 was operating under standard superhero/action movie rules so when he killed Zod that time he looked like this:

... but when the DCCU Superman kills Zod he looks like this:

MoS wasn't trying to be standard comicbook/action movie and it instead decided to question the cliched comicbook resolution by asking "What if you can't neatly make the problem go away? What if you don't get the triumphant happy ending? What if the good guy doesn't have all the answers just because he's the good guy?"

And those are some really good questions to ask in a movie, but on the other hand they're attacking some of the core assumptions that have been underlying the superhero genre for nearly 80 years now. The great majority of superhero comics/movies/Saturday Morning cartoons have operated under a Just World milieu where the hero deserved to win and the bad guy deserved to die and this was hardly ever questioned. (There's a whole lot of obvious exceptions to this but most of the general public probably wouldn't be familiar with them and they're vastly outnumbered by the cliched comicbook stories.) When Superman is forced to end Zod's reign of terror by snapping his neck and when Batman decides to kill dozens of mooks and these acts are shown as being morally ambiguous instead of being justified retribution then these stories are stepping outside the popular perception of the superhero genre. They're asking audiences to think about the genre rather than just leading them to the happy ending they usually get.

So yeah, Marvel did "do it right" in that they served up superhero movies that comfortably fit inside the superhero framework that has been fed to the general public over these last 70-odd years. DC decided to step outside that framework and ask whether those cliched superhero plots might have different consequences in the real world, and that's perfectly fine but there's going to be giant swathes of the general public disappointed that they didn't get the uplifting morally unambiguous costumed punchman film they were expecting, and there's also going to be a whole ton of diehard fans that will be upset that these films are daring to raise questions about the superhero genre instead of faithfully recreating it on the big screen. If people walked into Mos or BvS expecting a standard "Superheroes are awesome and you're awesome for liking them!" experience then they won't have been prepared for what they were going to get instead.

This is a good post, I'm going to rub it all over my face.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Hat Thoughts posted:

To me, that sounds like an interesting movie if it was capable of evoking such a strong emotional reaction from you.

And it isn't universal. I walked out euphoric and...hopeful, really. Excited for the great renewal to come.

So no, the movie didn't set out to make its audience feel bad.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Shageletic posted:

Isn't BvS making like all the money right now?

The key to box office success: giving comic book nerds tummy aches.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

The most entertaining part about the Spawn comics will always be the legal battle between McFarlane and Neil Gaiman and the wacky outcome. :v:

(Short short version if anyone isn't familiar with the story: McFarlane reprinted issues he'd co-created with Gaiman but didn't pay Gaiman any royalties. Gaiman sued and part of the out-of-court settlement was that Gaiman gained full control of Angela, a character he'd created for those issues. Gaiman then went and sold the character to Marvel for $1 as a final 'gently caress you' to McFarlane.)

:psyduck: Jesus, Neil.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Rurea posted:

Why are there two Spider-Men?

I want to say this is when there were a bunch of Skrulls running around as sleeper agent duplicates.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I would be cool with Loki appearing in Infinity War because Hiddleston is amazing to watch.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I saw each LOTR film more than ten times. FOTR was 18 times, TTT 16 and ROTK 17. I wrote it all down in a journal which is how I know this.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I... I guess I'm impressed you found enough time in the day.

It was over an eight month period and I was 11-13 at the time.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Hat Thoughts posted:

What's wrong with a movie taking itself seriously?

It makes the audience feel bad about themselves when characters react to the destruction of an entire city with shock and horror rather than laughing it off with shawarma jokes. Mass murder via alien invasion should be a fun time for the whole family.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Slugworth posted:

This is gonna sound crazy, but maybe there's room for both styles?

No! Impossible! All superhero movies must be the same!

Gyges posted:

I seriously have no idea what people are even talking about anymore with DC movies being totally dour and grimdark but Netflix Daredevil is lighthearted. Are we just randomly throwing out mood adjectives when talking about movies now?

Seriously, at one point Matt beats up a man for molesting his daughter, that's the exact opposite of light hearted.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

It's amazing. My first avatar replacement!

Watch One Punch Man. You would like it.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

The Joker was both bad, and quite fun to watch. A treat for the emotions. If you will.

A little bit of both...in equal measure.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

oddium posted:

benedict cumberbunch is good, and will probably be a good doctor strange

I am actually excited for it because out of all the things that sucked in the Hobbit movies, Smaug was not one of them. Cummberbund has a good grasp of the surreal.

Also can Purlmutter just loving go to hell and give me my Daredevil/Thor crossover please. What the gently caress is wrong with these companies that there's an ACTUAL RIVALRY between the tv and movie divisions?

HIJK fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 9, 2016

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

:capitalism:

I remember something similar happening between Cartoon Network and DC which resulted in the whole DC Animation block dying a horrible death

There was a useful image to describe this, basically all the subcompanies pointing guns at each other despite being owned by one company

But if they brought the movies and tv shows together, they would make ALL THE MONEY.

gently caress that noise I guess. Who needs more profit anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

TetsuoTW posted:

I'm kind of surprised there are still people who aren't tired of Shyamalamadingdong-ing Cumberbatch's name.

you didn't have to draw attention to my dyslexia

• Locked thread