Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Jimbot posted:

My trigger for the past decade has been "I could care less" when they meant to use "I couldn't care less".

If being said mockingly, that their dgaf is the best you're going to get, it actually makes complete sense. If said seriously, it leans into being incorrect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Sir Kodiak posted:

The Watchmen movie was made after it was clear that, to the surprise of many, nuclear deterrence actually worked. Turns out we didn't need a squid, so neither did the movie.

Ronald Regan said something to the effect of, world peace would require an alien threat, something to squarely put us all in the same boat. Despite all the Nixon stuff, I always saw the squid as a huge Regan fingerprint and the loss of it in the film gave away a lot of the flavor of the times of the story and its creation, and the sheer weirdness would have been lovely to see. :shrug:

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Isn't there supposed to be a Cable movie? Or was that just a baseless rumor?

Yes, it's called DEADPOOL 2.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

teagone posted:

Meh. I'm more interested in The Punisher's solo series and the next Daredevil season.

Wow, yes. I couldn't make it through a couple episodes of 3 out of those 4 individual series but sadly there looks to be a lot of DD plot afoot here so Idk, I may have to choke this down.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Snowman_McK posted:

Well, then Tolkien sucks.

Good ideas or whatever but an absolute poo poo writer.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

Rises has a lot of problems and is the weakest of the trilogy but there's still a lot to like about it. I just don't get how Begins established Bruce using darkness, surprise and diversions and the sequels almost entirely forget about that.

BEGINS took place in Gotham City, unlike the sequels. Also, Bruce was Batman for a mere matter of months. It's all very baffling when you look at the whole.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

What? They're all set in Gotham City.

Gotham of BEGINS is instantly recognizable as Gotham City, and that city vanished for the sequels. It was dark, moody, dirty, and befitting of a vigilante who stalks unseen. When the city went away, so did all of Batman's tact. He left true Gotham and relocated to the rebranded Chicago for the sequels, and it's obvious that he doesn't belong there.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

Oh. So you're just talking about filming locations. Agreed the Gotham in Begins felt the most like "real Gotham". As the trilogy progressed it just started to look like "generic American City", so yeah. I thought you were saying the stories weren't primarily set in Gotham.

Yeah, I'm saying "Generic American City" made Batman soft and weak whereas in real Gotham he was real Batman.

NikkolasKing posted:

What do people think of Burton's Gotham?
The screenplay called for Gotham to be something like, "as if Hell itself burst from the concrete and kept going" and I think Burton nailed it. Iirc, he used some of Adolf Hitler's architecture design for it which I think gave it a beautiful yet oppressively industrial look.

cvnvcnv fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 14, 2017

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

I like SUICIDE SQUAD. It's kinda crap but it builds a heck of a world, the Joker stuff is entertaining, and Idk, looking to things to be good and make sense in this life is a policy which should take more siestas.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

cvnvcnv posted:

I liked IRON MAN 2.

:catstare:

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Timby posted:

Ang Lee's Hulk is basically a fever dream of excessive style, and it's great. As for Leterrier's The Incredible Hulk, I still think it's consistently underrated in the Marvel Studios lineup (it's easily my second-favorite of the first phase behind Iron Man, Edward Norton is great as Banner and both Tim Roth and William Hurt are having the time of their lives, the only real weak link in the cast is Tyler).

Roth vs Hulk is stellar, and tells a far greater story with the action than anything else in the MCU to my immediate recollection.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Charlz Guybon posted:

I think you're exaggerating, but even if you're not, 99% of everyone who ever lived grew up in a cave, tent or one room hut and saw their parents/relatives/neighbors go at it live their whole childhood. So it doesn’t really matter. It's probably not going to effect them long term.

On the other hand, the vast majority of people who ever lived were violent psychos by todays standards. So maybe it will?

:allears:

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

porfiria posted:

What if the infant is actually a 10,000 year old demon and even though it's hard it's the only way to prevent it from conquering the earth is to kill every infant to make sure you get the right one?

Riddick isn't a demon.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

If they can retcon Avengers 1 into being interesting I'd be down for that.
I've had a Howard the Duck idea for some years now where they would jokingly retcon a bunch of the movies to have Howard and Beverly saving the day in the background. It would be even better now late in the game.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

ungulateman posted:

there has been a spiderman movie every three years for most of my life, what 'wait' is over

The wait for the most recent one to release.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Burkion posted:

The funny thing is, she didn't mean to make him black.

That was a side effect of the surgery to fix his face.

The hilarious thing is, him being black? Just wore off over time. Literally.

Yes, side effects are commonly understood to be temporary and do wear off over time.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Burkion posted:

Skin color and facial features, on the flip side, do not.

Like, he's not just Frank Castle wearing black face. They DRAW him like a black man, notably different than how he is white.

And then he just shifts back to being regular Frank Castle.

Yes they do, in comic books. Same coin, you could argue that "side effects" then could be permanent but comics are a window into a world, using things we know as a frame of reference then reshaping the world into the fantastic. Side effects are side effects, but the range of what they could be is outlandish. It adds up. Also, merely recoloring his face doesn't visually tell the story when it would appear that Frank merely painted his face or the book itself is misprinted.

The execution is poor because the idea is fundamentally and fatally flawed, not for the comic logic staying true to itself.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Let's argue about how Spider-Man shouldn't be able to stick to glass windows next

Something something, slinging sticky at boob windows.

*bows*

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So, reports are making the rounds that Shazam! is finally going into production with David F. Sandberg as director but without The Rock's involvement. Supposedly, since a Black Adam spinoff is also on the works the Rock won't be involved at all with Shazam! now.

:psyduck:

Crowds want to see The Rock in the big money match, not sell and job to some kid fresh out of development.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

So, it was written as "mike" as to clarify how it's pronounced to people who weren't necessarily listening? Gotcha.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

dont even fink about it posted:

"What do they call you, Wheels?" is the best line in X-Men.

Yes, a very sick BK Kids Club burn after meeting Kid Vid.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Snowman_McK posted:

RDJ is a lot buffer than a former alcoholic in their 40s should be.

What the gently caress is this? That first part is astoundingly stupid as past addiction doesn't preclude someone from fitness and a huge amount of former users actually run toward the gym. The second part is also very moronic as 40s is not old, especially in light of 40s being as far removed from a man's physical prime as he is in his late teens and early 20s and to speak nothing of many men being capable of getting and staying in shape well into older age.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

UmOk posted:

Somebody's a bitter old alcoholic

That statement is equitable to saying, "Drew Barrymore is a lot better director than someone who smoked crack at 12yo and famously later hosed a lot of dudes should be." It's stupid as poo poo and deserves to be pointed out as so.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Nice double-dip lmao which ignores completely your allegation that alcoholism will blow out your knees and break your back, or some poo poo, nevermind a person's exercise routine, diet, and literally everything else about their life during that time, before, and after. I mean, if what you say is true about testosterone levels, the alcoholism would have nothing to do with his body. :iiam:

Also cool anecdote about your recovery time kicking your rear end as though that proves something. A man in his 50s on testosterone replacement taking him to normal levels who also adheres to x y and z can get RDJ's bod, forget steroids.

cvnvcnv fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 1, 2017

• Locked thread