Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

hiddenriverninja posted:

get ready for white akira

I feel like Ghost in the Shell is gonna scare them off from making white Akira.

Black Akira, however, is decently likely. Taika Waititi has also expressed an interest in it, so we might get Maori Akira.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mordiceius posted:

Uhhhhhhh White Akira already happened with Chronicle????

i mean if we're counting stuff that doesn't use the IP and just rips off anime, the creators of Stranger Things have directly cited Elfen Lied (of all loving things) as a huge inspiration for the show and... it kinda shows because the whole Eleven plot is basically Elfen Lied with all the gross poo poo surgically removed

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

bring back old gbs posted:

lmaoooo Elfen Lied. I gave it a shot because everybody was comparing is to Stranger Things. The first episode has some cool ideas with the psychic powers looking like giant invisible manifested animals or something, just tearing limbs off of guards as they get too close to the girl. It has some really strong Akira vibes, then it goes into tropey oversexualized anime so quick you don't even have time to make a :psyduck: face. It's the most jarring tonal shift. Anime is trash.

I'd really like to post an example gif of the psychic powers but I have NO loving CLUE what will pop up if I type Elfen Lied into google image search. I don't want to know.

I am a pretty huge anime fan and Elfen Lied is extremely loving bad

seriously, if it's not the bottom of the barrel it is pretty damned close

e: that said, it's actually probably totally safe to GIS, because most of the American fandom for it (which, yeah, unfortunately that's a thing) likes to pretend it's this deep artsy sad series and ignore the weird sex poo poo and hilarious gore

Halloween Jack posted:

I'll gladly give an anime a chance if the protagonist doesn't act like Felix Biederman's impression of Jared Kushner at all times.

watch G Gundam it loving rules and has no pedo poo poo

e: also just to bring it back around to movies, if you're okay with reading a comic book and not watching a cartoon, the Battle Angel Alita manga is legit loving incredible

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 18, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Black Panther isn't really revolutionary for being the first black superhero movie; as mentioned, there's been a shitload. It's noteworthy because it's being pushed exactly as hard as the superhero movies starring white people. The other examples mentioned are either very tenuously superhero movies or... weren't really taken seriously, to say the least.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Once again, the qualifying criteria becomes "marketing". Everything the Marvel films excel at and venerate revolve around being marketed very, very well, and that's basically it.

I mean... yeah. These aren't things that are necessarily meaningful for the quality of the movie, but they're meaningful for the state of the film industry- black actors and directors are finally being given access to "the big time," the same way white actors and directors have been. Black Panther doing well could cause an actual, meaningful sea change regarding the racism that Hollywood has historically exhibited; it won't end racism, but it'll certainly be a step in the correct direction.

Obviously if you think Hollywood as a concept is inherently fatally flawed, this doesn't really mean anything, but a lot of folks don't see it that way and are really loving excited about this.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Again, you're sort of missing the broader point.

Yeah, the movie's probably gonna be somewhat reactionary, just by the nature of BP as a character (setting aside the general political trend of Marvel's movies). It'll probably be Coogler's worst movie, though I doubt it'll be outright bad simply because I don't think Coogler is capable of making an outright bad movie.

That has nothing to do with the importance of it, though; the importance of it is in the fact that it exists, period. People have been complaining that Hollywood isn't hiring black directors or actors, or making things targeted at black people, for years, and it's arguably part of why Get Out was a smash hit and Tyler Perry's films consistently turn a profit. Hollywood is finally, finally getting the hint and trying to change, and if BP pays off for Disney, there's probably going to be a metric poo poo-ton of other studios hiring black writers and directors and stars to try and chase the money.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

YOLOsubmarine posted:

On the one hand I think it’s really good that Hollywood is finally kind of sort of opening up to women and people of color, on the other hand the argument that it’s good that “black people and women finally get to make their own reactionary, neo-liberal superhero films, which are indistinguishable from the same films white actors have made for a decade now, because they represent an untapped market that capital has yet to fully commodify” is not compelling to me.

My hope is more that if the reactionary, neoliberal superhero films do well, it'll open the door for black people and women to make more stuff that both a) isn't a reactionary neoliberal superhero film and b) has the full force of the studio system behind it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Eugenio Derbez, Diego Luna, Gael Garcia, Iñarritu, el Chivo, Del Toro being a successful actors/directors in Hollywood is more of a positive impact for Mexican society than Coco can ever hope to be.

I don't think anyone's really disagreeing with this, is the thing. It's just that the existence of greater positive impacts doesn't inherently negate smaller ones. If Disney, the ur-arbiter of what is Safe for movies targeting white Americans, has decided that targeting ethnic minorities is also cool and good, then that says really good things about the direction the film industry is going. :shrug: Like, I don't think this'll necessarily lead to, as HUNDU put it, a black woman being Kevin Feige's bottle-washer; my hope is that we'll see a black woman Kevin Feige (who'll hopefully be less of a tyrannical idiot).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Barkley needs to shut up and jam. (Gaiden.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the world needs a video mashup of BvS and Beavis & Butthead Do America

• Locked thread