Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There used to be plenty of poo poo to do. In my shithole town in the early 90's we had laser tag, two bowling alleys, go carts, three theaters, two youth clubs. And that isn't even county the illegal poo poo we did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've watched Robocop more times than I can actually keep track of. Same for Wrath of Khan.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
BOM doesn't include the numbers from merch does it?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

No, it's strictly box office reporting from the distributors.

That's what I thought. I'd love to see an adjusted amount with that taken into account.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Burkion posted:

That's not actually what happened.

Sony is STILL going ahead with some of their franchise plans, and they never went back to Marvel.

Marvel wanted Spider-Man really bad and they came to SONY for the deal that was made. That's why Sony still has final say on everything and why the Spider-man movies are going to be a primarily Sony venture.

I've heard it went both ways Marvel went to Sony, they were not interested and then after ASM2 they went back to Marvel. Remember that Avengers tower was supposed to be in ASM and Oscorp tower was supposed to be in Avengers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gyges posted:

Disney bought back Sony's percentage of the merchandising a few years ago, while I think giving up it's percentage from the Spider-Man movies. Marvel is currently strangling X-Men and Fantastic Four merchandise since Fox gets a piece of the merchandise while Marvel gets a 5% or something like that from the movies. I'm not sure exactly what the deal is with Universal, who I think own solo movie rights to Hulk but not ensemble movie rights.

I believe Universal only has distribution rights to any solo Hulk films. The Fox/Marvel merch deal is loving terrible. If memory serves Fox gets like 80% of anything film related and close to 50% of any FF and X toys because of some clause in the contracts that say the films bring heightened awareness to the properties.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gyges posted:

I assume Fox are being colossal idiots and refusing to renegotiate the merchandising deal or any type of renegotiation.

I'd assume as much. I'd like to know if Deadpool falls into this because even prior to the film his poo poo was everywhere.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gyges posted:

Honestly, I'd expect the Superman and Batman merchandising to cover the entire movie and marketing all on their own with money to spare. I think both of them together is over half a billion a year without movies and poo poo.

My tiny little comic book store has sold over $3500 worth of Batman and Superman stuff since the film opened. I would love to see the numbers of what Wal-mart is moving.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nothing in the Incredible Hulk is connected to Hulk.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Burkion posted:

It...actually kind of works.

Mostly how the one film ends the other begins

They're not literally sequels but yeah

Not really, the opening credits pretty much disconnect IH from H by changing the origin.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Well I mean they both have the Hulk, that seems like a pretty strong connection

Eh, one is a doughy giant baby. The other is roided to hell and back. If audiences can understand different Spider-men they can understand different Hulks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

computer parts posted:

He's Literally Satan.

I think he actually teamed up with Satan once.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I love that it's a practical effect.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Thor on Earth stuff is the best part of Thor 1.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bedshaped posted:

I wonder what kind of story could they tell with standalone Batman. Isn't he pretty much at the end of his career with this latest TDKR inspired story?

No? It uses the visuals of TDKR but that's about it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't know where people get this "Batman was retired" thing in BvS. He's clearly been constantly active, has a super high tech new cave and gear. The two cops who encounter him, one shoots and says "I've never seen him before" and the other clearly shows that he's cool with Batman.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The reshoot thing still doesn't jibe. Haven't sources confirmed that Smith and Robbie are off shooting other films already?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The two boats scene in TDK will never not be the worst thing in any Batman film ever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Counterpoint: Tiny Lister is dope and brings up any movie a couple notches by his presence.

Debo would've pushed the button.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That stupid poo poo when all the cops crawled out of the sewers with no ill effects and were able to fight Bane's army. gently caress TDKR.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ike has been trying to get a seat on the Disney board for what, 20 years now? And by all reports everyone in the higher ups at Disney loving hates him with a passion.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yoshifan823 posted:

I'm surprised they're not trying to get Batfleck out sooner. Like, when they announced two mystery movies, I totally expected the earlier one to be Batman, especially considering they've already got some casting done, and Affleck is already working on a treatment, and is presumed to direct.

I just don't see how they could get it done sooner. JL is 2017 and then he has a project he wants to do and WB is financing for 2018.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

teagone posted:

I wasn't originally sold on Daisy being the new Lara Croft, but after watching TFA a few more times, I guess I can see it.

She has exactly the amount of skill to be Lara Croft.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

teagone posted:

I'm not saying she's not capable for the role. I'm just saying she doesn't really seem like a good fit to me. I say this as a fan of Daisy and a fan of the rebooted Tomb Raider games.

I'm saying she is a wooden, untalented actress who was cast because of her vague resemblance to two prior SW actresses.

Perfect for Lara Croft.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

We must not have watched the same movie.

You probably saw Sisters by accident.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dacap posted:

It also kinda coincided with his debut film as a director being a huge flop.

The film was a flop because anyone who knows NYC knows that the major obstacle the female lead has int he film could have been solved by a $20 bus ride.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The first Avengers film is fun and is impressive in that it's a sequel to FOUR different films.

But holy hell is it ever ugly. The cinematography is poo poo and the action sequences are mostly boring or on the level of a Buffy fight scene. The stand out worst scene for me is the scene in the lab where everyone is yelling at each other and nobody moves, they remain frozen on their marks while getting angrier and angrier. And we all know ho terrible that Whedon sanctioned Cap suit is.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And that's just toys. There's millions of dollars worth of t-shirts, hats and cereal unaccounted for.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That stuff is obscene to even think about.

I saw something about how they've sold half a billion pieces of apparel thus far. I mean hell, I bought 4 Man of Steel shirts.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

computer parts posted:

Even last year, I saw a whole bunch of BvS shirts. They probably made the money's production costs back just on shirt profits.

While I try not to shop at Wal-mart, they have a dozen different styles of shirt available and we recently attended one of the largest comic conventions in the country and there was BvS stuff for sale everywhere.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

T-shirts are probably bigger than toys, if only because the market is bigger than children and man-children.

They had 3 different women's styles so you are probably correct.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

And people wonder why TMNT is getting a sequel.

I still marvel at the resurgence of TMNT as a property. There was a point about two years ago where the tv toys were flying off the shelves so fast that several "common" figures were selling for two or three times retail on Ebay. Nickelodeon knocked the reboot out of the park on that one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Well, also think about the fact that the property existed even in periods where there was no show because of merchandise. You could argue something similar for Transformers, too.

There was a fairly long stretch where the TMNT toy line was dormant though. Transformers have had near constant shelf presence since the line debuted.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Transformer's gimmick as a toy is pretty amazing. On the one hand you have robots that turn into vehicles, on the other I remember one TMNT toy I had that was a duck fighter pilot, came with a hat that didn't fit on his loving head.

poo poo, I think I owned that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That trailer was pretty great.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Something looked odd about Batman's face when it was visible, maybe the Joker wearing it?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Oh thank god.

And also free to thank god if you want.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TetsuoTW posted:

Not My God

Shut up Mark Waid.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yoshifan823 posted:

Uh, Transformers? The original trilogy each got a brand new Linkin Park song.

This is a thing to brag about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Whizbang posted:

Nickelback sells a lot of albums too.

They should get them for the next GI Joe movie.

• Locked thread