Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Was The Rock rumored for a Shazam movie and a Black Adam spinoff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Chairman Capone posted:

First Class is not only my favorite X-Men movie, it's one of my favorite comic movies, and if you take out the Nolan trilogy which I think is on a different level, could be my favorite comic movie of all time. There are a few stumbles in it (the black mutant's death scene, the final fight scene is a bit overdrawn) but on the whole it's just so fun. Aside from the quality and chemistry of the actors, I think it's because it draws as much from Bond movies as it does from comic books. Plus, again outside of the Nolan trilogy, I think it has the best score of any comic book movie, one of the few I can actually put on and listen to throughout rather than just enjoy certain tracks from.

I feel like I'm slowly realizing I'm alone in my hate of First Class.

It's not that it's a bad movie - the Magneto storyline is amazing, and the battle at the end is fine, save the ridiculous conclusion with a magic bullet.

It just had so many bad and embarrassing moments, that I can't even watch the thing. Stripper butterfly, slow-rolling tears for "mutant and proud", Kevin Bacon's horrible miscasting as Shaw, and Darwin's death scene, among others.

The idea to set the film in the 60s was a good one, but beyond a few sets and wardrobe, it didn't really matter.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

So Vox gives us a list of the ranking of the MCU films:

http://www.vox.com/2015/5/6/8558387/marvel-movie-ranking-captain-america-civil-war

quote:

13. Iron Man 2
12. Incredible Hulk
11. Thor Dark World
10. Thor
9. Iron Man 3
8. Ant-Man
7. Captain America: First Avenger
6. Guardians of the Galaxy
5. Avengers: Age of Ultron
4. Iron Man
3. Captain America: Civil War
2. Captain America: Winter Soldier
1. The Avengers

The correct ranking is:

13. Iron Man 3
12. Incredible Hulk
11. Iron Man 2
10. Avengers: Age of Ultron
9. Thor
8. Ant-Man
7. Thor: Dark World
6. Captain America: Civil War
5. Guardians of the Galaxy
4. The Avengers
3. Captain America: First Avenger
2. Iron Man
1. Captain America: Winter Soldier

I realize that rankings mean nothing, and these articles are garbage, but come on. Iron Man 3 was a committee-designed turd.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Jenny Angel posted:

Nah Iron Man 3 is the best MCU film and took the most risks out of them. Or maybe it's The First Avenger? I still ain't seen that one, and I have a feeling I'll like it when I finally get around to it

I guess if you really like scowling generic bad guys, Iron Man 3 is probably your jam.

I'm not sure what was the worst about IM3:

- HILARIOUS scenes of the Iron Man armor slamming into Tony's junk
- Mandarin's goons attacking Iron Man's house on TV for like an hour and no police or anything show up
- Unnecessary and silly mid-flight rescue scene ending with everyone in the water smiling and waving at Iron Man
- Tony just goes, "gently caress it" and gets surgery so he doesn't need the armor to live
- Terence Howard is replaced by Don Cheadle, who plays the most lame and generic possible War Machine, only existing to be saved by Tony or to be Tony, Jr.
- Goofy sidekick Happy Hogan finds simple crime scene evidence the CIA/FBI/police could not
- Killian is actually a lovely villain
- The most interesting thing about the film, Tony's various armors, have a minimum of screen time
- Tony takes on a new villain with his newest and least-tested suit of armor

The stuff with the kid and his household-made weapons were the least objectionable things about the flick.

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah, you have to be thinking of Iron Man 2 as the committee designed turd. Iron Man 3 was a Shane Black movie starring Iron Man so they took him out of the suit for like 90% of the film. They also completely subverted everything involving involving the Mandarin. Even if you don't think it is a good movie (I'm pretty lukewarm on it) I would be interested to hear what you think the committee mandated stuff is.

I feel like a bunch of executives sat at a table, having lunch, and someone said, "What if we took Tony... out of the suit?", and immediately got pats on the back and a promotion to studio head.

Red fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 11, 2016

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Jenny Angel posted:

Ah, so like, CinemaSins

Doesn't make the criticisms any less valid.

feedmyleg posted:

I think you could give these 13 films to any forum member and you'd get a completely different list. These movies aren't objectively better or worse than each other, certain ones just hit certain notes for some and not others. I have my reasons for liking each over the next, but none of them are truly objectively bad - a bunch of them just don't work very well for me personally. Mine are something along the lines of:

13. The Avengers
12. Ant-Man
11. Avengers: Age of Ultron
10. Thor
9. The Incredible Hulk
8. Iron Man II
7. Thor: The Dark World
6. Iron Man
5. Iron Man III
4. Captain America: Civil War (tentative)
3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
2. Captain America: The First Avenger
1. Guardians of the Galaxy

For example, Iron Man II has tons of issues as a film. But personally I'd rather watch it over Thor, a much less problematic film, any day of the week.

I bolded the sentence I agree with. :)

Thor is an interesting film that has some neat stuff, but Natalie Portman's presence just kills so much of it for me. The second Thor is much, much better, helped by less Portman - but elevated by the focus on the Loki and Thor relationship. I've really come to love Thor: TDW, even if most folks are 'meh' about it. The problem is that Malekith is interesting, but takes a back seat to Loki, and there's not a lot of tension with his goals.

Iron Man 2, with a few changes, could have been a great film, which would've led to 3 being better. Tony Stark is really defined by his adversary - the first one worked so well because it's his past. The second one is... a meth-head Russian with a death wish? The third one is a shunned nerd who got ripped.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Guy A. Person posted:

This literally happened in Iron Man 2, which again was much more committee designed.

That's true, actually - I'm remembering Rhodes hanging from the ceiling while Killian tried to burn through his armor.

Guy A. Person posted:

If you think this scenario is at all realistic and that the immediate response wouldn't have been "but...toys" with a comical cut to the suggestion guy walking out of his office with a box of his belongings with the one small desk plant sadly drooping over the side, I have no idea what to tell you.

Hold on, hold on - your wonderful attempts at imagery and humor won't distract me. :) I don't think screen time necessarily dictates toys and licensing decisions, though.

Maybe Iron Man 3 bugs me so much because the film centers around Tony trying to either use lovely armor, being stuck with a broken suit, or just rejecting the need for the suit at the end.

Does Pepper get treated to remove the Extremis as well? Wrapping everything up at the end with surgery just seems so lazy.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Slugworth posted:

First Avenger is real.... sincere?

This is incredibly apt.

One little bit in the first Cap that sticks out for me is when Bucky goes, "Let's hear it for Captain America!", and everybody cheers.

Evans plays the scene by barely reacting at all - because he doesn't know how to react. He kind of looks around the crowd, and returns his gaze to Peggy as the rescued soldiers pat him on the back. He just wanted to do the right thing. That scene just seems to speak volumes about how much Evans/Johnston just *got* the character.

Sincere is the right description. I love this loving movie.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Hat Thoughts posted:

What's the best fight scene?

Falcon, Cap, Maria Hill, Widow, and Fury working together to shut down the helicarrier launch in Winter Soldier is a great rollercoaster. The ominous launch from the Potomac is great stuff, as is the pilots' realization that the helicarriers have been reprogrammed to destroy each other. The score throughout the entire thing is just tremendous.

The big airport battle in Civil War is a ton of fun, and doesn't carry the weight of the final battle in Winter Soldier, but holy poo poo was that fun to watch.

But the finale of Winter Soldier, by a mile.

Here's that spoiler'd part in a clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ru5wM7fl7g

One more edit: I love that the final battle scene showed that Falcon was an equal partner to Cap and his team, and incredibly competent at being a superhero. I take so much joy in Falcon being written well, and in Anthony Mackie doing such a great job with him - complete opposite of Don Cheadle's Rhodes' character.

Red fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 12, 2016

Red
Apr 15, 2003

My Lovely Horse posted:

Wanda: guys wait for meee

The most accurate part of Civil War is that nobody really understands what Scarlet Witch's powers are.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Harlock posted:

Justin Hammer is Westinghouse

I like Sam Rockwell, but casting him as Justin Hammer just felt off.

I'm either used to the idea of crusty old Justin Hammer in the books, or I guess I envisioned Tony's nemesis being a horrible old man who just wants to be his evil father figure.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, SMG cut me off when I disagreed with him about Force Awakens. Which sucks, because I was really pumped way back when I first got invited to team up with everybody in pretending that Prometheus was good.

But Prometheus was great?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Kurzon posted:

Stark sensed that the status quo was changing and decided to adapt early so that he could gain a position of high influence in the new order, and shape the system to suit his desires. This is how an industrialist typically thinks and is actually the smart thing to do. Honestly I think Cap is the foolish one. The disaster at the airport happens because Cap badly wants to believe that his best friend is not a brainwashed Hydra agent who is possibly manipulating him in order to flee the authorities.

You're on the right track.

In the first Iron Man film, Tony is appalled at the fact that the terrorists are using Stark-built weapons. He does have a genuine sense of guilt, but more than anything, Tony is scared shitless by his loss of control. The first thing he does when he returns to the US is shut down weapons manufacturing - but he builds a flying suit of armor to fight, which is a weapon. This makes Obadiah Stane take action, because he sees Tony trying to retake control. Stane didn't realize that challenging Tony's control would end badly for him - he should've just kept Tony complacent with women and booze.

Iron Man 2 sees Tony become complacent, and is forced to retake control of his life.

Iron Man 3, I have no idea, because that thing was a pile of poo poo.

Avengers shows that Tony struggles to relinquish control to his equals, and, oddly enough, is fascinated with Bruce's ability to maintain some measure of control of the Hulk personality.

In Age of Ultron, Tony creates the Ultron problem through his obsession with control. Edit: He learns absolutely nothing from his mistake and helps build Vision.

In Civil War, Tony is approached by the mother of a dead aid worker, and feels remorse - but again, is more terrified at his inability to control threats and how the Avengers respond. Accepting the accords means Tony will have some measure of control. He can see that Cap is the true leader of the Avengers, through inspiration and friendships. When he tries to assert control through the battle at the airport, he loses the only real relationship he has left, when Rhodes is seriously injured. With nothing tying him down, he goes into 'gently caress you' mode after Cap and Bucky.

What reinforces this whole concept is that he lost his parents when he was younger, and ignores real life through partying. Only when shown the results of his inattentiveness to Stane's dealings does he come around. We can tell that losing his parents affected him deeply, because he basically invents a better last memory with them, and is crushed by the fact he was powerless to help them.

These circumstances have created a dangerous individual who overcompensates and obsesses with everything - his salvation will be creating bonds with others and developing trust.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

greatn posted:

I don't get why people hate Iron Man 3. It's the best movie with Iron Man in it.

It's a bad Saturday morning cartoon that does its best to separate Tony from the armor. It largely ignores logic and common sense. The villain is a generic scowling nyah-ah-ah type.

The worst part is, it's punctuated by Tony going, "Oh gently caress it, I'll just get the surgery." gently caress that movie.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

He told humanity what the S means.

It'll never happen, because Superman, but I wish I could see:

- Superman: You know what this S stands for, Jimmy?
- Jimmy Olsen: Wh
- Superman: SHUT UP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

LesterGroans posted:

Same. They're all fairly close, but those fear visions are solid. And it has the most amount of Cillian Murphy.

Forever suuuuucks. There's nothing subtle about Batman and Batman Returns and they're both amazing.

It's me, I'm the guy who saw this twice when it was in theaters. Except for the popcorn machine you wore on your head, it's a great and fun movie that tries really hard and mostly succeeds. It's not what anyone would call a well-done film, but it's loving fun.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I still don't know why they picked Scarecrow for Golden Boy Cillian Murphy. There's against type and there's that.

I think it was a good pick - it kind of aligned with Bruce, showing that a pretty boy could be a weirdo in disguise.

• Locked thread