Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

computer parts posted:

I mean, 3 years isn't that bad of a timeframe. 2019 is going to be utterly ridiculous though if all of those stay in:

Captain Marvel - March 8, 2019
Shazam - April 5, 2019

I can't imagine I'll be the only one confusing these two films in 2019.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Yoshifan823 posted:

There is a Danny McBride-ready Green Lantern script (written by Robert Smiegl!) sitting in wait already, it's just a decade old and was originally written for Jack Black, but you could easily adjust both of those things with a quick rewrite of the script.

I enjoyed the idea that Green Lantern didn't know how to save things himself in that script, so he created Christopher Reeve's Superman to fix all the problems by time traveling.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Alhazred posted:

That lawsuit was really why Alan Moore decided to burn all bridges with DC. If DC had stood up for him then he might have continued to let his name be in the credits but they didn't and Moore decided that he no longer wanted to be associated with adaptations of his work.
It really is amazing how toxic that movie was, it ended bot COnnery's and Norrington's careers and was the last (only?) adaption of Moore's work where he is credited.

What would DC have to do with this? League of Extraordinary Gentlemen wasn't published by DC, and the film wasn't made by Warner Brothers (who owns DC)

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Rhyno posted:

I have also seen rumors that they capture the newly reborn Superman and brainwash him into being their servant.

Superman can't catch a break in these films!

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Having just watched the movies on blu ray for the first time, I'm gonna go so far as to say that the way the movie constantly shifts aspect ratios to accommodate the IMAX stuff is a wildly distracting bad idea

It's actually pretty cool if you have a home projector with a 12 foot wide screen.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'm sure it is, Mr. Wayne

Projectors are cheap. I paid $950 for mine back in 2008.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That's more than double what I paid for my tv, blu ray player, and Apple TV combined in 2015.

Not counting medical procedures, I don't think I've ever paid $950 for any one thing.

Yeah, well I don't own a car, couch, and my television is a hand me down. Having a projector doesn't make me rich.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

lazorexplosion posted:

I understand that the traits 'obtuse inability to understand moments of likable characterization' and 'likes BvS' often go hand in hand.

Maybe?

I like the main characters in the Marvel films as performed and portrayed more than the film they're contained in. I enjoy Batman V Superman more as a spectacle, and I appreciate cinematography as much as I appreciate writing.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Electromax posted:

Based on a recent post BiggerBoat made in the concept art thread, I googled around Superman Returns and where they almost went before Man of Steel, and the Singer sequel to SR sounds pretty crazy:

Interesting re: the discussion and reaction to MoS. It emphasizes why Superman can't just Save Everyone and Do Everything.

But also apparently ends with Superman basically murdering a child.

I want to see all the unmade Superman movies. I would have legitimately been into this one. Burton's and all the aborted 90s nonstarts would have been fun curiosities.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Harime Nui posted:

I've been saying for years Mongul (Mongol? Mawngoal?) would be the perfect villain for a Superman movie. gently caress Brainiac and his test tubes and nerd poo poo, people want entertainment, they want blood, they want WAR WORLD

Mongol is just a yellow Darkseid without omega beams.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Martman posted:

I'd appreciate a moment where the cliche "remember who you are" happens, Evil Superman laughs and ignores their cheesy attempts, and then the real Superman flies outta nowhere and kicks his rear end. And then it turns out Darkseid and Evil Superman were just shapeshifting Martians... ok I'll stop now.

No no. It was the Eradicator! Or Hank Henshaw!

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Basebf555 posted:

If you think the race of Peter Parker or Mary Jane is important enough that changing it means not being "true" to the characters, that's racist. Its a form of racism that lacks self-awareness but that's probably the worst kind.

I get where you're coming from, but I think there's an overlap in racists that cry foul and those that would be just as upset about Superman losing his red trunks. Some people are really hung up on things your average person doesn't care about when it comes to film.

It can be hard to tell the two apart.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Detective No. 27 posted:

He totally does. He also judiciously kicks Bob right out of the bell tower.

No, Joker shot Bob after Batman stole his balloons.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Guy A. Person posted:

I mean he does vaporize the Fortress of Solitude with them in it at the end of that scene.

(but yeah from a practical standpoint he probably tossed them back into the Phantom Zone or whatever)

There's a deleted scene with the Arctic police taking Zod away in handcuffs.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

parallelodad posted:

Let me introduce you to everyone's parents "Why'd you turn that off? I like it! You can change the settings on your tv at your house."

Change it when they're not in the room and they won't notice. Source: I changed it on my parents' TV 8 years ago and they haven't noticed.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Is it my imagination, or did they modify Batman's suit logo to emulate the shape of Superman's crest?

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Timby posted:

I'm impressed at their restraint in not showing Superman.

Though they did play a modified take on Zimmer's Superman theme.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

got any sevens posted:

I'd like to see a supes movie without kryptonite as a plot device

Man of Steel, Superman II, Superman IV

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

josh04 posted:

Man of Steel pulls a lot of the meaty themes out of Brainiac, between the Kryptons, their ship and the world engine. Short of having a blue-green man around to talk through a vocoder, I'm not sure what else you could get out.

Yeah. I thought there may be an interesting plotline in Brainiac offering Kal-El a connection to his home world, but in Man of Steel, we already heard "Krypton had its chance."

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Xander B Coolridge posted:

I can appreciate the praise about the slightly more objective elements more than I can, for example, get my head around why anyone would enjoy what I consider Eisenberg's almost offensively terrible performance as Luthor.

Terrible performance, or terrible characterization?

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Sinding Johansson posted:

. In the end he embraces Superman's idea that his role as a superhero should not be as a personal power fantasy but as a symbol. He certainly isn't a symbol of hope so of what exactly is left ambiguous.

Sure he was - in Man of Steel, the entire last act was based on Superman gaining the trust of people, and then the film showcased EVERY human character, fighting with their last breath, to see that they help one another and live to see a better day.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The characterization was flawless, I think he suffers the most from the "not my X!" whining.

Yeah, well, that's what I was getting at. I can't fault Eisenberg's performance at all - I bought that he was the creep he was portraying. Seemed weird to call out his performance. I understand someone not liking the character though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Davros1 posted:

Speaking of Superman, Superman the Movie is added to the national film registry

https://iearths.blogspot.ca/2017/12/superman-joins-national-film-registry.html

There was also a 3 hour cut of it released on Blu-Ray a few months back with little fanfare.

It's not good, but it's interesting.

• Locked thread