Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
How much of Batman v Superman's budget was recuperated by licensing deals before it even came out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

CelticPredator posted:

I can't really see Kids wanting to see this over and over. I'm sure some do, of course. But I mean, the ending would be pretty rough for a kid who really loves a certain character.

I'm not even a kid and I'm pretty pissed about Jimmy Olsen, too.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Guy A. Person posted:

I doubt there are any actual kids who care about that

You must not know any cool kids, then.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I rarely see any movie in the theater even once. I saw The Phantom Menace, like, three times but that was because people kept dragging me to it and paying for me. Since then, the only movie I've seen multiple times in theater was The Force Awakens, and that was because the second time I had a coupon for a free upgrade to IMAX and I thought it would benefit from being seen that huge. I wasn't disappointed. If I had to see another movie in theater, it would probably be Deadpool, because it was just great.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I've never watched any movie over twenty times. The very idea confounds me. Like...I might have, over the course of my entire life, watched a couple of movies I've really, really loved, like, eight to ten times, but even that seems like a bit of a high estimate.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
There was one period in college where I went, like, 72 hours without sleep during which I watched the Lost in Space movie with Gary Oldman on cable non-stop for the last 36 hours or so to the point that it reduced me to tears, but even that wasn't twenty times.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Pablo Gigante posted:

Thor 1 was good

It was my favourite Marvel movie until Guardians of the Galaxy came out.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I thought the Thor on Earth stuff was great. I love that they took a story about one of the most powerful characters in the Marvel canon, a literal god, and gave him a character driven story about learning humility. The scene where he realizes he can't lift Mjolnir is one of my favourite in any comic book movie.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Rhode Warrior.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Electromax posted:

At least the Daredevil show hasn't yet done the comic bit where the Hand ninjas are also Hydras.

Well, Daredevil does show that the Hand has connections to Roxxon which, as we saw in Agent Carter, is closely tied to HYDRA at least as far back as 1946, so...

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
My wife couldn't stop laughing when I pointed out that the burning trucks that force the police convoy off their route were firetrucks. Fire. Trucks. The Joker's sense of humour is great.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Steve2911 posted:

I don't really like or care about the MCU but Avengers 1 is fine. You'd have to go out of your way to suggest it's anything below decent.

But, but, but...it's shot like a TV show!!! :argh:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Pirate Jet posted:

Cavill is the best Superman since Reeve. Really even the contest isn't fair because his competition is Christopher Reeve.

I mean...compared to who? Dean Cain? Brandon Routh (who was basically channeling Reeve)? Tom "No Flights, No Tights" Welling? Tim Daly? It's not like there's a lot of stiff competition, there.

And I'd probably award the win to Routh if he'd been in a better movie.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

CelticPredator posted:

So smug bout comic book movies.

Almost impressively so.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I like that they're playing up the Diablo character a bit, making me give a little bit of a poo poo about him. Makes me think he's something more than just a useless background character that dies early on. Which is what Slipknot is looking to be.

I liked this trailer. It got my attention in a good way. If the reviews are decent, I think I might check it out in theatres.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Batman is smaller because he's still kind of hosed up over Superman dying. It's put him off his protein shakes and everything.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

AccountSupervisor posted:

Is it confirmed yet when Suicide Squad takes place? I cant tell if its immediately after BvS or between MoS and BvS. Id assume its after unless they went with a non sequential release timeline.

My wife pointed out that Superman is referred to in the past tense in the trailer. I think it spoiled the fact that Superman dies for her.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Timby posted:

It was on one of the movie channels when I was in the hospital a couple of weeks ago, and mother of God, it's just so unpleasant to watch.

"Pleasant" is exactly the word I would use to describe Age of Ultron. It's inoffensive, unchallenging, but just charming enough to make it perfect for letting it wash over you while you're barely paying attention or otherwise engaged. It's the film equivalent of some relaxing ambient music or a really nice screensaver.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

So I finally watched Deadpool, and I have to say it completely smashed my expectations by being the single most annoying piece of garbage film I have ever seen. Im all for differing opinions, but I really do not get the love for this film.

It had a surprisingly affecting emotional core surrounded by good jokes. It's fine if it's not your thing, but it absolutely succeeded at what it wanted to do, and was a tremendous success as a consequence.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
That Doctor Strange trailer looks like Inception if you watched it through a kaleidoscope.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

If he really wants a kid so much, he can just sedate himself, have someone surgically remove a sperm sample, and use IVF and a surrogate to birth a child.

He's a doctor, he should know that.

Except that part of it is that he's afraid that any progeny he had might inherit his Hulkism, too.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I mean...they showed him single-handedly building the pyramids with his mutant powers at the end of Days of Future Past.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
First impression, she looks more like Scorpina than Rita.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

He also throws a guy off a building to kill him.

I mean he doesn't actually die from the impact but the intent was clearly to murder that dude.

I thought season 2 was pretty obviously about Matt's resolve being tested and him failing. Elektra is clearly a bad, toxic influence on him. By the end of the season, he's driven away Karen and Foggy, allied himself with Frank, and tried to murder Nobu in cold blood. He's fallen from grace. Season 3 will probably be about him redeeming himself somehow.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

PriorMarcus posted:

He's quiver is a micro-fabrication factory that 3D prints the unique heads for each arrow based on Hawkeye's hand gestures. It's a shrunk down version of the Stark tech that builds Tony's numerous suits.

It hold hundreds of collapsible arrows but only rotates completed ones to the top for use.

I loving love that we live in a day and age where this doesn't sound all that outlandish.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

setafd posted:

who wrote the recent run of Hawkeye that's supposed to be so good?

Matt Fraction?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Paul Bettany is just great in general. His Vision and Jarvis in Agent Carter are both amazing.

He's not in Agent Carter. That's James D'Arcy.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The big question for me is whether Civil War is better than Deadpool.

Either way, looking like a good year for comic book movies.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think I'm comfortable calling Deadpool the winner of 2016. Even if a better movie comes out, for Deadpool to have been as good and successful as it was despite everything it had going against it puts it over the top. It's like a paraplegic winning a silver medal in the able-bodied Olympics.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's the Oscar Pistorius of films!!!

No wait

I avoided an amputee analogy for a reason.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Yeah, I still think of Guardians of the Galaxy all the time, and I'm reasonably sure I'll be enjoying Deadpool for years to come, whereas I literally never think of Man of Steel outside of this thread. I guess different people just like different things.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Thinking about Guardians of the Galaxy is easy. I just recently thought "what ever happened to that movie?"

The trick is to sell us on it.

I don't have to sell anyone on anything. If some people don't want to like it or choose to dismiss it as a dumb movie about wacky characters who use the power of friendship to win that's no skin off my nose. Dozens upon dozens of pages talking about Man of Steel haven't magically made it my favourite comic book movie, I don't expect the same for anything else.

Now, if anyone actually wanted to discuss something about the movie instead of trying to "sell" it, I'd be happy to.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

a lot of people have problems with the turning back time part, but I assume those people have problems with any superhero movie

I had trouble with it when I was younger, but from a purely logistical standpoint. If Superman reversed time, wouldn't he have undone himself stopping the first missile? And, therefore, shouldn't the first missile have still impacted and caused untold destruction?

Then I stopped caring because who cares it's awesome.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

People put too much emphasis on the fact that he's an alien. Largely I think his alien heritage is irrelevant. The basic story wouldn't change if he was human with powers. He was raised 100% on Earth. If Bruce Wayne is a mask that Batman wears, Superman is a mask that Clark Kent wears. Despite its faults, Smallville does a great job of portraying this.

It's part of what's made the interplay between Batman and Superman so interesting to me. On the one hand, you've got a godlike alien whose saving grace is his humanity. On the other hand, you've got a human who shuns his humanity as weakness. That's why I have no problem with Superman killing. He's human enough to make that judgement, whereas Batman's dysfunction makes him terrified that maybe he can't.

Marky Marx posted:

Less than a week until Civil War! I'm so psyched. Anyone else psyched?

My psych level is medium. I was more psyched for Deadpool, but I'm looking forward to this, especially because of the good word of mouth I'm hearing about it.

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 30, 2016

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I've been saying for a while now that I fully expect there to be a shared Marvel/DC movie universe by 2025.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Er... Drive? Mad Max Fury Road?

Soldier. :colbert:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I haven't seen that since I was like six, is it actually any good? Paul W.S. Anderson making a stealth sequel to Blade Runner with Kurt Russell in it sounds like very much my poo poo.

I haven't seen it in well over a decade, but I remember liking it. Then again, I also liked The Chronicles of Riddick, so adjust your expectations accordingly.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
So Fantastic Four just popped up on Netflix and I gave it a watch. After everything I'd heard, I had some pretty low expectations, and it still managed to disappoint. It really is just a mess of a movie. And not just the obviously tacked-on climax, either, although that did propel it to new heights of mediocrity. It all just fails to gel, and there were some astoundingly ugly scenes in there. Reed fighting the soldiers in the forest and then being confronted by Ben stood out in particular.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
To be generous, Fantastic Four did have a couple of good character moments, and some of the body horror stuff could have been developed into something interesting, but nothing, good or bad, felt anywhere close to meshing into a coherent whole. Even the first half felt like three or four (lol) disparate movies jostling for room. And Doom was such a half-baked, nothing of a villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
My mom had an arrangement with the video rental place across the street where I'd take whatever movies I wanted and she'd pay for them when she got home. I saw every Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th movie, both Alien movies, Phantasm II, Predator, and Cronenberg's The Fly by the time I was ten. The only thing that really scared me as a kid was Michael Jackson's Thriller video.

• Locked thread