Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
They'll just pull what they did with the last Hulk movie ie take the sequel spec script they have lying around and make it part of a "different universe." So, you'll still end up with artifacts like Hulk starts in South America like at the end of the previous Hulk. And if they want to tie it back into the "larger universe," they can have Robert Downey Jr. show up at the end or after the credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

HorseRenoir posted:

So it's just going to be another MCU movie, but with 80's songs playing in the background every now and then?

Worked for Guardians.

Wait, my bad, those were 70's pop hits.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

CelticPredator posted:

The idea that humor in blockbusters is a bad thing is a really loving stupid notion.People enjoy laughing. It's a good emotion to feel.

A few legit humorous scenes in BvS would not have hurt the movie one drat bit.

Movie is funny as hell.

*opens box, finds green light bulbs, attacked by Super-Fascists and Parademons*

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

CelticPredator posted:

Humor is subjective. But for most they would fail to see what's funny about that.

Like what is so funny about that?

A moment in this terrifying nightmare/vision is something out of a Bugs Bunny cartoon, with big exaggerated bulbs and wires. It's also the moment poo poo starts to fall apart.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Strom Cuzewon posted:

How does independence Day become ID4? I just cannot see the connection here.

4th of July

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Strom Cuzewon posted:

So ID4 is independence day 4th? Where's the July?

July 4 is America's Independence Day. That's where the 4 came from. That's about as complicated as that name got.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

I wish I was paying better attention to this movie and not just because it's gonna make a great perolium to Planet of the Apes 3: Woody Harrelson Total War.

I really like this trailer because it's setting up that King Kong's adversary in this movie is SAMUEL L. JACKSON and that's amazing. 60 story tall gorilla vs Samuel L. Jackson, let's go.

The moment I found out that John C. Reilly, Samuel L. Jackson, and John Goodman were all in this movie, I knew I had to see it.

Also, Legendary Godzilla Cinematic Universe.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Well, yeah, of course he looks like Robocop/Terminator/Transformer. His "birth" teaser sequence is literally Miles Dyson using the All Spark Cube to resurrect his son who's hooked up to a life support circuit board thing.

He's probably going to morph and transform and it's going to be tight.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Sir Kodiak posted:

Making Cyborg a RoboCop with design cues from Transformers, tying the Mother Box to the alien AllSpark, sounds good to me. Also a bit of The Signal with the polygonal limbs, which while a pretty lousy movie overall (Brenton Thwaites), the involuntary-augmentation portions were solid and relevant.

Same. Plus his dad/creator is Miles Dyson.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

My favorite BVS and MOS argument is the one where people now say "well alright, he makes pretty pictures. but they don't mean anything or make sense!" How do you watch something like Blade Runner without someone telling you what it's about?

Actually had this argument with someone in real life about these movies. The guy kept telling me the images were contradictory and meaningless, and then told me that he'd worked with Zack Snyder and thinks he's a pretentious meat head.

He thinks Superman is fascist and represents the military despite the fact that, you know, that's Zod's whole bag. So I just think he came into the movie with preconceived notions, and let them confuse his reading of the film. At the end of the day that's the only reason I can figure out the sheer hate for these movies because they're otherwise gorgeous and really straightforward.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
I just think there must have been something to that movie if it elicits such an immediate and visceral response. It definitely isn't meaningless if it touches a nerve that badly. And I don't even mean that from just the "ideological nerd" group either. This response comes from all kinds of people.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Alien pre-sequels until he dies.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Some people like Tony Stark because he's a relateable supervillain. Others like Superman because he is actually a good person striving to do the right thing, a real hero.

I just think the relateable supervillain thing got tired like four or five movies ago and the franchise is just spinning wheels.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Plus now he has a whacky teenage sidekick!

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
John C. Reilly is Space Hydra.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

The MSJ posted:

Here's your Inhumans:

New X-Men movie looking bad already.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

K. Waste posted:

Spider-Man: Homecoming/MCU would be a lot more interesting if it interpolated the Japanese Supaidāman TV show. Heck, it would even be more adaptable to Tony Stark.

The best part about Supaidaman isn't just that he has a giant robot, it's that it's a giant lion-shaped alien spaceship that transforms into a giant robot that is controlled by a flying car.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Al Borland Corp. posted:

She spread some non disclosed embarrassing picture yeah. She was a mean girl in the mean girl click. Only after it happened did she realize how hosed up it was and feel remorse. The movie could have sold this a little better if she had ever apologized to the actual victim at some point, and the film hasn't portrayed HER as the victim.

She never apologizes and in fact accidentally destroys the other girl's car in the climatic final battle in a comedy relief bit, so the message is a little muddled.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Hmmm...not really. Matt especially is a screechlord internet dumbo. But you know what? Their politics are very good, so we let 'em slide.

Yeah, I love Chapo, am a Gray Wolf, etc. But their movie reviews are pretty terrible and miss the point by miles so they can make digs at a movie they didn't really watch or care for.

What I really hate is that they don't think about the movie for themselves, and hide behind how they think "regular" people interpret it. So instead of tackling obviously satirical elements for example, they declare they don't matter because of some imagined "average viewer."

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

"if you seek his monument look around you" is an excellent counterpart to the way Dark Knight Rises ends (Batman getting a dumbassed statue in City Hall).

Literally my favorite shot, especially with the candlelight vigil around it. loving NAILED it.

Edit: RIP Wally, another working man caught in the grinding gears of capitalism between Luthor and Wayne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

K. Waste posted:

It's dropping Christmas Eve, in the meantime I'm trying to put together a Devotional Criticism of Man of Steel as a preamble.

The outline for the latter I've got so far is:

1) "Spectacle As Story - Style As Substance"
2) "Son of Man, or Man of Steel?"
3) "What if Man of Steel WASN'T in Color?"

I may be more excited about the Devotional Criticism than the BvS cut...

• Locked thread