Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

Guy A. Person posted:

Fighting aliens who want to destroy all humans is depressing, Superman totally gets it. Tony Stark is a sociopath for cracking wise while "hundreds" of people die around him.

So is the protagonist of pretty much every non-rated R action or adventure movie ever if we go by that metric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mainly just saying that I've heard this type of complaint a lot about super hero movies in general, from the light bantering tone in Avengers action sequences to people being angry about "Superman making out with Lois Lane with the burning corpses of the entire city of Metrolopis literally at their feet", but it really just seems like par for the course in family oriented action movies to throw in some levity in the middle of the violent scenes.

You can have Gimli and Legolas cracking jokes with one another as they murder their way through shitloads of orcs in the Lord of the Rings trilogy, but the film isn't framed in such a way to show them as monstrous sociopaths so we just kind of accept it. I'm not really sure what it is about superhero media that makes this relatively common thing seem so egregious to people.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Brother Entropy posted:

I don't think the snarky action cliche is egregious by itself so much as the idea in superhero fandom that it's the default way to do superhero movies and a movie that eschews it is a grimdark failure. It feels like part of a larger trend of modern American pop culture where everything has to have layers of humor or irony to protect us from letting a piece of media invoke genuine emotion in its audience

(this is also probably a major reason I loved the newest Godzilla so much, it did such a fantastic job of evoking awe and powerlessness)

I don't think there's one true way to properly do a superhero movie myself - I enjoyed both Man of Steel and most of the Marvel studios films. I don't consider giving your superhero movie a more serious tone any kind of cinematic sin, but at the same time I'm not really sure why its a bad thing to go the opposite route and have your big action sequences be more lightweight and comedic.

My comment wasn't meant to imply that a superhero movie should never be serious, but rather that holding up the concept of seriousness itself as some ideal that the non-serious superhero movies are failing to live up to as sort of odd and kind of nonsensical when you view them as part of the larger action-adventure-fantasy genre. (EDIT: I'm not implying that you are doing that, I'm just saying that it's an attitude I've seen online when people are arguing the merits of different superhero movies that kind of bugs me, especially when it gets dragged into the larger Marvel vs. DC thing)

(I also thought the new Godzilla was fantastic for the same reason too, I'd never seen a movie in the series that really gave you an impression of what it would be like to be a human in this world as well as this one did)

Bob Quixote fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Mar 7, 2016

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Elfgames posted:

No he saved the world, people had to save themselves.

it's the same as the saying "one death is a tragedy a million is a statistic."

So if you put out a fire that would have consumed a building and killed everyone inside you are somehow saving fewer lives than the one or two guys in the building who managed to keep their heads and usher a few people in their area out the fire doors?

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I'm fairly sure that Strawberry Shortcake pitch is real, at the very least. It's definitely sounding very familiar.

I don't know about that, but there was a fairly internet-famous comic that shows Spider-Man mentioning getting molested as a kid by some old guy.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Hellbunny posted:

That was PSA comic about childhood molestation and how if it happens to you it wasn't something to feel ashamed about.

Very different from supposed "edgy" bullshit.

Well yeah, and in that context it works - context is everything. Same thing with people getting annoyed with the Zod neck snap in Man of Steel: it would be really unnerving and out of place to see Fleischer cartoon Superman or Superman the Animated Series Superman breaking necks, but within the tone established by the film it made perfect sense and flowed with the rest of the action. It's not something done purely for the purpose of being shocking or edgy.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Grendels Dad posted:

Conversely, seeing some of the Silver Age solutions suggested above by one article or another applied in the context of Man of Steel would be horrifying. Imagine an ant-sized Michael Shannon locked in a jar, screaming and hammering against the glass, forever.

Yeah that whole Phantom Zone thing seems like a huge copout. It's like skipping the killing part and just sending a person directly to hell instead. Doesn't really smack of having the moral high ground if your solution to a problem is to just shut that problem away forever with no hope of escape.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Full Battle Rattle posted:

TDKR is like going to the opera

Your parents get shot at the inexplicably filthy back alley behind the theater?

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mordiceius posted:

Well I think the difference is more that we shouldn't be yelling and screaming at the actors/actresses or the writers and directors and crew. We should be mad at the executives who are enforcing this poo poo.

Yeah but in most cases they themselves aren't well known or famous (especially in comparison with actors/directors/(writers?)) and are also rich as hell and basically untouchable/uncaring of the opinions of a small group of people angry at their profit-maximizing strategies. So folk tend to lash at the easier or more obvious targets.

EDIT: TLDR, what Gorn just said.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mordiceius posted:

But how is lashing out at the directors/actors going to help the situation when they're not the ones ultimately making these decisions?

I'd venture to guess a vast majority of directors don't give a single gently caress what race characters are as long as they get to make their movie.

Yeah I'd figure that if you decided to not take a role on principle then there will always be tons of actors looking for more screen credits or cash who will do it.

EDIT

That doesn't necessarily make it a defensible position to knowingly take an insensitive role, just that it is basically impossible to have EVERY potential actor who could possibly play that questionable role agree to boycott it. If whitewashing is mandated from above then it will inevitably make its way into the production and the person taking the role is just a symptom.

Bob Quixote fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 16, 2016

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Batham posted:

You can't just put all the blame on Hollywood on this though. Look at Indian, Chinese, Japanese, South Korean movie studios; they all culturally wash their movies and actors. Hell, even the few poor African movie studios do this.

You need to look far further than that.

Could you tell a bit more about the washing in India/China/etc.? I haven't heard much on the subject outside of U.S. studios and it sounds pretty interesting.

I do remember seeing an article in a magazine about a studio in Africa where the guy interviewing the director was offered the role of "evil white man bringing a witch into the country", and when he pointed out that he was Japanese the director said it was close enough.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

hiddenriverninja posted:

How are they going to justify calling a white woman Motoko Kusanagi

I dunno, how do you justify calling a white guy Khan Noonien Singh?

They could just re-name the character to something more western since most U.S. audience members wouldn't be familiar with the source material outside of the otaku set. Since pretty much nothing is able to make die hard fans of anything happy with a movie adaptation based on their chosen obsession then their complaints can be safely ignored.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Joe Gillian posted:

Ricardo Montalbán wasn't a white guy. Still not fitting for a guy with a name like that, but you know.

\/\/\/\/ Forgot that movie existed.

I was talking about Into Darkness actually yeah.

If we are talking ethnicity though, Montalban was born in Mexico but both of his parents were immigrants to the country from Spain. Are the Spanish not white? I've never really grasped what exactly falls under the umbrella of "whiteness".

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

I'm just waiting for the MCU to introduce Amadeus Cho, the Asian American teenage superhero whose power is literally "really good at math".

I think he's also a Hulk now too.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

My favorite scene is the one where they slowly zoom in on someone's shocked face.

I liked when Godzilla puked nuclear hellfire directly down the bad monsters throat and burned its head off its body.

Say what you will about Taylor Johnsons' performance, but the film managed to combine all these beautiful shots of the devastation that the monsters left in their wake, the utter helplessness of the human characters against them and some of the best giant-monsters fighting each other scenes that I've ever seen.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I appreciate the direct implication that Superman was expected to be yakkin it up for the whole runtime.

I don't know, generally unless the movie is named Godzilla or King Kong the titular character is usually expected to have quite a few lines if not the most since they are usually the main focus of the film.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
At no point did I say that every single film named after a character had to give that character the most lines, I can name poo poo like Alien and Terminator or whatever where they say basically nothing too - I just think that in the many many many films that have been made since it was invented that its most often the case.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Convention exists in art so that you expect it, not demand it.

Right, and I'm not demanding it. Many of my favorite films have protagonists who are largely pretty close mouthed like the Leone westerns or Dredd.

I was just saying, and you appear to agree, that conventions in film tend to give people certain expectations. My original comment was in response to SMG who seemed kind of incredulous that the audience might have those perfectly normal expectations when they went to go see the movie. Counting out the exact number of lines spoken by a character to prove something about its quality is stupid, but that wasn't my point.

Personally I didn't really care much for Batman vs. Superman, but it had more to do with pacing than the precise number of lines spoken by any given character. I had really wanted more of a sequel to Man of Steel since I really enjoyed that movie and its take on the character of Superman, but this film mostly seemed like a Batman movie guest starring Superman.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I'll give anything a chance, but I haven't stumbled on John Carter anywhere that I could watch it streaming for free, otherwise I'd have seen it by now. I guess because it was such a bomb there's not much demand for it?

Its a flawed movie and has some pacing problems but its visual design is beautiful and the alien/animated characters are pretty endearing.

Especially Woola.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

K. Waste posted:

why didn't they just get ben stiller to take over Ant-Man?

edit: or that dude who did Mystery Men

edit: or sam raimi

edit: or guy ritchie

I would have enjoyed seeing the obligatory Bruce Campbell cameo in the Sam Raimi production of Ant-Man.

• Locked thread